• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

* * * - - 6 votes

Obama's spiritual mentor

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

• Lurker

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:36 AM

Yikes, Obama's spiritual mentor seems pretty out there.

Would it be too strong to call Rev. Wright a racist? Personally, I don't think so. Why would Obama have been associated with him for so long (20 years)? If it were me I would have moved along to another church and pastor long ago.

#2 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:08 AM

Who cares? Obama is inspirational and will be a great figure internationally for the US.

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:38 AM

Would it be too strong to call Rev. Wright a racist? Personally, I don't think so. Why would Obama have been associated with him for so long (20 years)? If it were me I would have moved along to another church and pastor long ago.

Hey, lookee there! A video brought to you by Fox News! Imagine that.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:01 AM

Obama's campaign just got flushed down the toilet by this

#5 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:15 AM

LOL, Not!

(I am fairly certain you were kidding, Kostas, but still, I had to say something :p )

#6 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:20 AM

LOL, Not!

(I am fairly certain you were kidding, Kostas, but still, I had to say something :p )

I guess the sarcasm gave it away, lol ... yeah I'm kidding (though I do think the video was a bit racist) ... overall I do support Obama ... Actually I prefer Mike Gravel, but since he has no chance, my vote goes to Obama. :~

• Lurker

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:51 AM

Good point! I can't believe I didn't catch that! More likely than not Fox News has simply applied clever video editing to just make it appear that Obama's spiritual mentor for the past 20 years is an ugly racist. :p

Edited by ludongbin, 14 March 2008 - 06:52 AM.

• Lurker

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:55 AM

Who cares? Obama is inspirational and will be a great figure internationally for the US.

Who cares? Would you feel comfortable embracing a racist as your spiritual mentor or even as a friend? I know I wouldn't.

• Lurker

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:35 AM

Here's an article from ABC news. I guess their taking orders from Fox News now:

http://abcnews.go.co...=4443788&page=1

You can find a video at the link too.

All praise to Him whose middle name must not be spoken!!!

#10 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

Who cares? Would you feel comfortable embracing a racist as your spiritual mentor or even as a friend? I know I wouldn't.

Ludongbin, you bring up an excellent point.
In the past I heard or read some mention of Obama's church (not much details).
Early this morning I was exercising at the gym listening to CNN when
they passed a segment of a sermon by that guy Wright. Later I listened
some more from yutube (scary shit). Also some of Obama's comments on this pastor.
Seems that Obama does consider the guy as his spiritual mentor. Kept
going to that church for 20 years to hear that sort of crap.
Bush almost ruined the US. I think McCain could be even worse than
Bush. I don't think Hilary can overtake Obama. And Obama would be
receiving advice from the (ir)reverend Wright, or he already has it
drilled in his head.
With McCain we'll be fighting the rest of the World. With Obama
listening to his mentor, we'll be fighting each other internally. Who the hell am I going to vote for?

• Lurker

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:06 PM

I don't think Hilary can overtake Obama. And Obama would be
receiving advice from the (ir)reverend Wright, or he already has it
drilled in his head.

A few weeks back I would have taken Obama over Clinton in a heartbeat. Now, after Obama's wife's comments and this Reverend Wright stuff, I think I'd feel much more comfortable with Clinton. I don't think a President Obama would bring an end to the trend of political divisiveness. In fact, I suspect exactly the opposite would be true. I'm afraid it could get real ugly.

#12 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:22 PM

you guys are ridiculous

#13 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:02 AM

you guys are ridiculous

Edited by mike250, 15 March 2008 - 12:02 AM.

#14 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:08 AM

like LF said, Obama would be good internationally. don't know about internally though.

#15 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:47 AM

you guys are ridiculous

I agree. Do you guys expect us to believe that Obama is a secret racist? Obama whose "middle name must not be spoken?" And you're trying to tell us Obama is a racist?

• Lurker

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:08 AM

you guys are ridiculous

I agree. Do you guys expect us to believe that Obama is a secret racist? Obama whose "middle name must not be spoken?" And you're trying to tell us Obama is a racist?

You may not be aware of this but I'm not running for POTUS. As far as Obama being a racist...I don't know. But his closely associating with a racist for 20 years I think raises legitimate questions. Denying that defies commonsense.

Edited by ludongbin, 15 March 2008 - 02:11 AM.

• Lurker

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:27 AM

you guys are ridiculous

By the way, claiming I'm a racist because I wrote "he whose middle name must not be spoken" is just a little bit of a stretch I think. If you must know, I said that as a way of making fun of both sides - his middle name is simply not an issue for me in the least. It is what he believes, and what those he closely associates himself with believe, that is an issue for me. I would hope that it would be an issue for you as well.

#18 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:28 AM

you guys are ridiculous

You may not be aware of this but I'm not running for POTUS. As far as Obama being a racist...I don't know. But his closely associating with a racist for 20 years I think raises legitimate questions. Denying that defies commonsense.

I'm not sure what you not running for POTUS has to do with anything. Talking about his middle name makes you sound Islamophobic, or like you either believe the "secret Muslim" slime or are just trying to spread it around. As for his "closely associating" with a "racist for 20 years", first, I don't know if Obama was ever "closely" associated with this guy or not. I've been to a lot of churches but I would not say that I was closely associated with any of the clergy. We also have no idea what kind of a person this minister was when Obama was going to that church. Does this video represent the first inflammatory thing he's ever said, or has he always been like this?

Finally, I bet I could find some dodgy characters in the past of either McCain or Clinton. Would that disqualify either of them for president? Obama not only does not sound like a racist to me, he sounds like a man who would unify our country, rather than divide it like the other two candidates.

Why do you keep posting anti-Obama trivialities and acting like they are a big deal? Just don't vote for him. It's your right. You can't very easily get a third Bush term, but you can always vote for McCain, or write in Huckabee if that's what you're into.

• Lurker

Posted 15 March 2008 - 02:41 AM

Don't you guys believe in change?

• Lurker

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:08 AM

I'm not sure what you not running for POTUS has to do with anything. Talking about his middle name makes you sound Islamophobic, or like you either believe the "secret Muslim" slime or are just trying to spread it around.

Yes, the purpose my comment regarding his middle name was to poke fun at both the people who would use his name for that purpose and also the people (like you) who scream racism whenever his name is mentioned. I think both groups are idiots.

As for his "closely associating" with a "racist for 20 years", first, I don't know if Obama was ever "closely" associated with this guy or not. I've been to a lot of churches but I would not say that I was closely associated with any of the clergy.

Obama has been attending that church for 20 years. Obama and his wife were married by Rev. Wright. Obama's children were baptized by Rev. Wright. Obama said the title of his book "Audacity of Hope" came from a sermon by Rev. Wright. As recently as 2006 the Obamas donated over $22,000 to Rev. Wright's church. Obama sought advise from Rev. Wright when considering whether to run for the Democratic Presidential nominee. Up until today or yesterday Rev. Wright was a member of Obama's campaign staff. Yes, I think it would be fair to say that they are very closely associated with one another.

We also have no idea what kind of a person this minister was when Obama was going to that church. Does this video represent the first inflammatory thing he's ever said, or has he always been like this?

If the media does their job we will. But I think anyone with commonsense and some honesty will have to admit that the eloquence Rev. Wrights's anger and hatred is not that of a neophyte or newcomer.

Finally, I bet I could find some dodgy characters in the past of either McCain or Clinton. Would that disqualify either of them for president? Obama not only does not sound like a racist to me, he sounds like a man who would unify our country, rather than divide it like the other two candidates.

Certainly, though I'm very doubtful you'll see Clinton or McCain attending for 20 years a church led by an America-hating, racist pastor, and having the same man on their campaign staff.

Why do you keep posting anti-Obama trivialities and acting like they are a big deal? Just don't vote for him. It's your right. You can't very easily get a third Bush term, but you can always vote for McCain, or write in Huckabee if that's what you're into.

You think the people that the potential POTUS closely associates with is a trivial matter? Personally, I think there is quite a bit of truth in the saying: "you show me a man's friends, and I will show you the man."

#21 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:24 AM

I'm not sure what you not running for POTUS has to do with anything. Talking about his middle name makes you sound Islamophobic, or like you either believe the "secret Muslim" slime or are just trying to spread it around.

Yes, the purpose my comment regarding his middle name was to poke fun at both the people who would use his name for that purpose and also the people (like you) who scream racism whenever his name is mentioned. I think both groups are idiots.

As for his "closely associating" with a "racist for 20 years", first, I don't know if Obama was ever "closely" associated with this guy or not. I've been to a lot of churches but I would not say that I was closely associated with any of the clergy.

Obama has been attending that church for 20 years. Obama and his wife were married by Rev. Wright. Obama's children were baptized by Rev. Wright. Obama said the title of his book "Audacity of Hope" came from a sermon by Rev. Wright. As recently as 2006 the Obamas donated over $22,000 to Rev. Wright's church. Obama sought advise from Rev. Wright when considering whether to run for the Democratic Presidential nominee. Up until today or yesterday Rev. Wright was a member of Obama's campaign staff. Yes, I think it would be fair to say that they are very closely associated with one another.

We also have no idea what kind of a person this minister was when Obama was going to that church. Does this video represent the first inflammatory thing he's ever said, or has he always been like this?

If the media does their job we will. But I think anyone with commonsense and some honesty will have to admit that the eloquence Rev. Wrights's anger and hatred is not that of a neophyte or newcomer.

Certainly, though I'm very doubtful you'll see Clinton or McCain attending for 20 years a church led by an America-hating, racist pastor, and having the same man on their campaign staff.

You think the people that the potential POTUS closely associates with is a trivial matter? Personally, I think there is quite a bit of truth in the saying: "you show me a man's friends, and I will show you the man."

Obama is a traitor to America, he should be treated as such!

#22 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:44 AM

Gosh, it must be nice to occupy such a well-reasoned centrist position. I wish I was smart like you.

"you show me a man's friends, and I will show you the man."

You seem to be with Gashinshotan on this one.

#23 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:01 AM

lol this video is funny. an idiot making an even more idiot crowd go crazy.

#24 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:00 AM

I'm sure you can do the same with the other 2 candidates. don't see why you like to rant against Obama so much. They're all in the same basket.

Edited by mike250, 15 March 2008 - 05:01 AM.

• Lurker

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:05 AM

I'm sure you can do the same with the other 2 candidates. don't see why you like to rant against Obama so much. They're all in the same basket.

Anyone that questions Obama is a bigot of course.

#26 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:08 AM

are you trying to be sarcastic?

#27 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:13 AM

No one said that, but it does seem that bigots (and psychopaths, fascists, or combinations thereof) don't like him. Of course, a lot of fine people prefer other candidates, as is their right in our democracy.

• Lurker

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:13 AM

Yes, extreemly... I'm a bit shocked people would think otherwise.

but it is to some extent probably how Obama supporters think to themselves.

Edited by Fear&Obey, 15 March 2008 - 05:16 AM.

#29 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:18 AM

Yes, extreemly... I'm a bit shocked people would think otherwise.

but it is to some extent probably how Obama supporters think to themselves.

I'm not an Obama supporter by any means, and please stop the sarcasm. its pretty lame.

• Lurker

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:25 AM

I'm not an Obama supporter by any means, and please stop the sarcasm. its pretty lame.

Yes sir, your comments are exceedingly awesome by the way. I think you're so very cool.

Edited by Fear&Obey, 15 March 2008 - 05:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users