• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

* * * - - 6 votes

Obama's spiritual mentor

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#121 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 05:16 AM

Of course he escalated vietnam; he was still less important to it than either of the other presidents before or after.

Of course? Now you say of course?
Please. Don't even try to act like you knew. You have not a clue of what you speak.
You are sooooo wrong. You better do your homework. He was THE ONE who escalated it. He escalated against the expert advice
of John Kenneth Galbraith who warned him that it would be a tragic mistake. Unfortunately for all of us, Kennedy didn't take his advice.
Eisenhower only had 700 advisors in there. Kennedy sent in 12,000 and made it his example of how America was going to
keep the world from communism. Johnson just inherted the mess. Kennedy is the most overrated of any president.
At the time, we were all rather naive, kind of like you are right now about Obama.
If you know how to read, I strongly suggest you
do some on the topic before you put your foot in your mouth again.

Good Lord, missminni; Kennedy put in 16,000, but Johnson put in half a million troops! Kennedy was a drop in the bucket here. Johnson may have inherited a mess, but he made it a hell of a lot messier. Now I love you dearly, so don't take this the wrong way, but why do I get the feeling we're about to hear you use the word "whippersnapper?"
Arguing with kids can be so frustrating.

#122 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

Good Lord, missminni; Kennedy put in 16,000, but Johnson put in half a million troops! Kennedy was a drop in the bucket here. Johnson may have inherited a mess, but he made it a hell of a lot messier. Now I love you dearly, so don't take this the wrong way, but why do I get the feeling we're about to hear you use the word "whippersnapper?"
Arguing with kids can be so frustrating.

LOL "Good Lord Missminni"? Is that kinda like Good Golly Miss Molly?

Johnson inherited Kennedy's policies in VietNam as he did with the Civil Rights Bill, which he used all his southern democrat influence to push through.
We can only wonder if Kennedy would have escalated the VietNam war to the degree that it was escalated under Johnson. He might have, but we will never know.
It's funny how Johnson is blamed for VietNam, but not credited for the Civil Rights Bill.

As for the "whippersnapper" comment, I have friends half my age and I never think of them that way.
Being arrogant and uninformed has nothing to do with age. 90 year olds are just as prone to it.
Arguing with uninformed arrogant people of any age is frustrating.
And Niner, I love you too, but I really am not that kind of old. In fact quite the contrary.

Edited by missminni, 23 March 2008 - 12:50 PM.

#123 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 03:43 PM

This thread was about Obama's spiritual mentor before it got sidetracked toward other things. Being about his "spiritual mentor" then it also has to be about Obama himself. And I'm asking myself: how is it that this guy thinks he's qualified to be the supreme leader of the US and at 46 he needs a "spiritual mentor"?
There is so much BS thrown around that we should be taking a shower every couple of hours. Like the thing that he taught at the University of Chicago.
So this guy is a phoney but won the Democratic party idol contest and he's going to be the candidate. Since the alternative is going to be much worse, I'm going to vote for him. But I wont be able to campaign for him (I campaigned in the past).
They say it's not over until the fat lady sings. But it's clear that this is over even if Hillary refuses to sing. Richardson was practically made by Bill Clinton. They were even photographed together recently. Richardson was getting (slowly) on board of Hillary's boat. A couple of days ago he endorsed Obama. Rats jumping out is a clear indication the ship is sinking.
Glu, glu, glu...

sponsored ad

• Advert

#124 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

well it seems there is a pandamonium surrounding Obama's family minister and spiritual advisor, Jeremiah Wright. I genuinely wonder if this is at least partially a product of white people wanting to feel indignant at the black man. Wright isn't the first to use fiery rhetoric to convey ideas that can be considered offensive or inflammatory to some sector of society. Presidential spiritual advisors - past and present - openly preach anticipation for America's destruction (i.e., the rapture), the threat of jews, the evil of homosexuality, and a desire to eradicate the muslims. McCain's spiritual guide refers to ''allah'' as a "demon spirit" and calls on christians to wage a war against muslims. A Bush advisor blames the Church for 9/11 and calls on christians to pray for bin Laden. Hardly a whisper is ever heard about these pontifications.

Edited by mike250, 23 March 2008 - 04:04 PM.

#125 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

well it seems there is a pandamonium surrounding Obama's family minister and spiritual advisor, Jeremiah Wright. I genuinely wonder if this is at least partially a product of white people wanting to feel indignant at the black man. Wright isn't the first to use fiery rhetoric to convey ideas that can be considered offensive or inflammatory to some sector of society. Presidential spiritual advisors - past and present - openly preach anticipation for America's destruction (i.e., the rapture), the threat of jews, the evil of homosexuality, and a desire to eradicate the muslims. McCain's spiritual guide refers to ''allah'' as a "demon spirit" and calls on christians to wage a war against muslims. A Bush advisor blames the Church for 9/11 and calls on christians to pray for bin Laden. Hardly a whisper is ever heard about these pontifications.

The future of the US (and may be the world) is at stake. But I also take it personally. If he's the Democratic candidate I'm going to vote for Obama. That's why I'm taking a closer look at him and people pulling his strings.
And I don't give a pass to the other scoundrels. I hold in the same outmost contempt the likes of Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Jeremiah Wright and other such vermin.
But you are right. The press didn't take to task Falwell when he said the US had 9/11 coming, the way they should have.

#126 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

This thread was about Obama's spiritual mentor before it got sidetracked toward other things. Being about his "spiritual mentor" then it also has to be about Obama himself. And I'm asking myself: how is it that this guy thinks he's qualified to be the supreme leader of the US and at 46 he needs a "spiritual mentor"?
There is so much BS thrown around that we should be taking a shower every couple of hours. Like the thing that he taught at the University of Chicago.
So this guy is a phoney but won the Democratic party idol contest and he's going to be the candidate. Since the alternative is going to be much worse, I'm going to vote for him. But I wont be able to campaign for him (I campaigned in the past).
They say it's not over until the fat lady sings. But it's clear that this is over even if Hillary refuses to sing. Richardson was practically made by Bill Clinton. They were even photographed together recently. Richardson was getting (slowly) on board of Hillary's boat. A couple of days ago he endorsed Obama. Rats jumping out is a clear indication the ship is sinking.
Glu, glu, glu...

I saw him on Larry King about a month ago and my read on it was that he was leaning towards Obama. He told King that he was being courted by both Clinton and Obama, but the difference was that Clinton had friends call for him but Obama called himself. He made a point of saying that. He said it twice in fact. King asked him about being offered VP by Obama, and he practically blushed avoiding the answer.
Last week Obama was in very hot water from the Wright affair. Richardson did him a solid by popping up with that endorsment. Anybody who thinks that was anything but a BIG favor is naive.
Clinton's ship isn't sinking. In fact, she's expected to do real well in Penn. and I would not be surprised if they start picking up steam. The Clintons have seen much harder times than this and pulled through with flying colors so I wouldn't count them out yet.
The real issue is not if Obama can win the democratic primary, because I'm sure he could. Democrats are quite willing to overlook Rev. Wright. The real issue is if he can still win the general election. The resounding opinion from the talking heads, including those that favor him, is no, and the polls are starting to indicate that. Will the democrats consider that in their choice? That's the real issue.

#127 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:48 AM

The real issue is not if Obama can win the democratic primary, because I'm sure he could. Democrats are quite willing to overlook Rev. Wright. The real issue is if he can still win the general election. The resounding opinion from the talking heads, including those that favor him, is no, and the polls are starting to indicate that. Will the democrats consider that in their choice? That's the real issue.

Until the Wright affair was ginned up by Fox News, most polls had Obama beating McCain in the general, and Hillary losing to him. In the immediate aftermath of the Wright fiasco, McCain was beating both of them. I'm not aware of any polls that have come after both Obama's race speech in Philly and McCain's multiple and shocking gaffes in the Middle East. Half a year from now is an eternity. (Except maybe for McCain's beta amyloids...)

#128 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:35 PM

Until the Wright affair was ginned up by Fox News, most polls had Obama beating McCain in the general, and Hillary losing to him. In the immediate aftermath of the Wright fiasco, McCain was beating both of them. I'm not aware of any polls that have come after both Obama's race speech in Philly and McCain's multiple and shocking gaffes in the Middle East. Half a year from now is an eternity. (Except maybe for McCain's beta amyloids...)

Yeah. Obama's a racist, anti-American that's been hyped up by CNN and the networks. It's un fucking believable that he's made it this far on hype and reflects the stupidity of America, especially its "youth." They're just voting for him because he's black and because it's trendy. Period. I seriously pray for a libertarian revolution to save our country from liberal retardedness.

#129 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:50 AM

Yeah. Obama's a racist, anti-American that's been hyped up by CNN and the networks. It's un fucking believable that he's made it this far on hype and reflects the stupidity of America, especially its "youth." They're just voting for him because he's black and because it's trendy. Period. I seriously pray for a libertarian revolution to save our country from liberal retardedness.

Uh huh. We vote for him because he's Black, because it's trendy, and because we hate women. And psycopaths. You didn't hear his speech in Philadelphia the other day, did you? What does your post have to do with anything you quoted?

#130 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:58 AM

Uh huh. We vote for him because he's Black, because it's trendy, and because we hate women. And psycopaths. You didn't hear his speech in Philadelphia the other day, did you? What does your post have to do with anything you quoted?

Obama's speeches mean nothing - he's just exploiting his african tribal-speaking skills to entrance the public.

• Lurker

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:29 AM

Here's a new article on Obama's church and spiritual advisor from CNN.

http://politicaltick...letins-surface/

I don't know what they hell Obama was thinking when he said "I don't think that my church is actually particularly controversial." What planet is this guy from? Of course, what the hell do I know I just a typical white person. Well, at least I'm not Italian.

#132 gashinshotan

• 443 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:35 AM

Here's a new article on Obama's church and spiritual advisor from CNN.

http://politicaltick...letins-surface/

I don't know what they hell Obama was thinking when he said "I don't think that my church is actually particularly controversial." What planet is this guy from? Of course, what the hell do I know I just a typical white person. Well, at least I'm not Italian.

Obama is an idiot - when it shows it SHOWS. But him and the media are very good at hiding his emptiness and retardedness.

• Lurker

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

Obama is changing his story yet again. First he was claiming that he wasn't aware of his spiritual advisor's racially divisive and conspiratorial rhetoric, then in his speech last week (the highly acclaimed "I Have an Excuse" speech) he argued that even though he was aware of it, he couldn't disown him just as he couldn't disown his grandmother (though throwing grans under the bus is apparently o.k.) Now he is saying that in fact he would have left the church if his pastor hadn't retired and hadn't apologized (did Wright apologize? Not that I recall - at least not to me and the rest of America.) In any case, apparently Wright retired from the church this year (2008), but it took 20 years for Obama to work up enough moral outrage at his pastor's racist diatribes to consider leaving that church. Real quick study that Obama.

http://www.cnn.com/2...8/obama.pastor/

It is fortunate though that Rev. Wright retired just in the nick of time so Obama could stay on board with the church's laudable work of spreading the gospel of hate Whitey! Praise the Lord!

Edited by ludongbin, 28 March 2008 - 06:02 PM.

#134 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

Obama is changing his story yet again. First he was claiming that he wasn't aware of his spiritual advisor's racially divisive and conspiratorial rhetoric, then in his speech last week (the highly acclaimed "I Have an Excuse" speech) he argued that even though he was aware of it, he couldn't disown him just as he couldn't disown his grandmother (though throwing grans under the bus is apparently o.k.) Now he is saying that in fact he would have left the church if his pastor hadn't retired and hadn't apologized (did Wright apologize? Not that I recall - at least not to me and the rest of America.) Apparently Wright retired from the church this year (2008.) It took 20 years for Obama to work up enough moral outrage at his pastor's racist diatribes to consider leaving that church? Real quick study that Obama. In any case, fortunately Reverend Wright retired just in the nick of time so Obama decided it was ok to stay on board. Praise the Lord!

http://www.cnn.com/2...8/obama.pastor/

Obama is first and foremost a politician. Nothing more and nothing less. His oratory abilities are part of his
political savvy.
Unfortunately his followers think he is the second coming.
I much prefer Hillary, but if push came to shove, I would still vote for Obama over McCain.
Unfortunately, for a lot of democrats and independents that is no longer the case.
I have heard many buyer remorse complaints from people who voted for Obama.
If he gets the nomination, he will never win in the general election, regardless of polls. The polls only interview 700-1000
people. Hardly significant, although the TV news would make you think thats what decides the election.
Wake up Obamaniacs. He can't win. That speech he gave, which I really didn't think was all THAT, will not mitigate the fact that Rev. Wright will loom larger than life as November nears, and that comment by his wife will too.
It's a no brainer. If the democrats nominate him, we might as well get ready for Bush light.

#135 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:35 AM

Obama is changing his story yet again. [blah blah blah]

So whom do you prefer, Hillary or McCain? Why don't you post some reasons why either of them would be great choices, since you are effectively supporting them by attacking Obama. Why don't you tell us why a senile Republican who doesn't know the difference between Sunni and Shi'a would be so good for America?

#136 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:39 AM

...he will never win in the general election, regardless of polls. The polls only interview 700-1000 people. Hardly significant...

This is why polls have a margin of error. It is a reflection of their statistical significance.

• Lurker

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:36 PM

So whom do you prefer, Hillary or McCain? Why don't you post some reasons why either of them would be great choices, since you are effectively supporting them by attacking Obama. Why don't you tell us why a senile Republican who doesn't know the difference between Sunni and Shi'a would be so good for America?

I'd take either over Obama in a heartbeat - and I wouldn't have said that two months ago. Also, in spite of McCain's alleged senility, he still apparently has the good sense to overlook spiritual guidance from ugly racists posing as pastors.

#138 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:44 PM

I'd take either over Obama in a heartbeat - and I wouldn't have said that two months ago. Also, in spite of McCain's alleged senility, he still apparently has the good sense to overlook spiritual guidance from ugly racists posing as pastors.

Oh really now?

http://www.washingto...6051300647.html

#139 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:38 PM

We knew that, although I have a hard time imagining you voting for Hillary. The question is, why should the rest of us vote for either of those two? What is good about them?

• Lurker

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:59 AM

We knew that, although I have a hard time imagining you voting for Hillary. The question is, why should the rest of us vote for either of those two? What is good about them?

Actually I voted for Bill, so wouldn't have a big problem voting for Hillary if McCain's health/age, etc. turned out to be a serious issue. I'm an independent and have voted for both parties in local and national elections.

#141 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:58 AM

Actually I voted for Bill, so wouldn't have a big problem voting for Hillary if McCain's health/age, etc. turned out to be a serious issue. I'm an independent and have voted for both parties in local and national elections.

So there are no good reasons to vote for either McCain or Hillary?

#142 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:48 PM

[So there are no good reasons to vote for either McCain or Hillary?

What do you consider a good reason?
In November I'm going to vote against McCain. Most probably that will mean to vote for Obama.

At this point this is idle waste of time because I don't think Hillary can make it. But, do you want reasons for voting for Hillary? She was the most active first lady since Eleanor Roosevelt. As soon as she got to the White House she went to work trying to get us universal health care. Everybody that's making a killing out of our health problems poured tons of money to attack her. Similarly to the swift-boat attacks, this worked (are we stupid, or what?).

There are still people talking against Bill Clinton because he got a blow job. That he presided over the best administration in a long time is not important (are we stupid, or what?). As for me I'll like to see the Clinton team back in charge.
Now what about Obama? This guy is a phoney. Professor at the University of Chicago? He was a lecturer on and off, that's as far as being a prof. as the moon from here. I know how things at universities work.
He keeps saying he was raised at a poor family, while he went to a preparatory school for over 16K/year. He keeps saying he was conceived during the march on Selma which happened 5 years after he was born.
PHONEY, PHONEY, PHONEY ...
He doesn't have any thing to show except a few talks. And we know that politician talks are very cheap.
He'll have a very hard time finding his way around the white house and the world. That still will be better than a McCain in charge.

I gave up trying to understand why Obama is doing so well. It's like trying to understand why religions are doing that well.

#143 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:10 AM

[So there are no good reasons to vote for either McCain or Hillary?

What do you consider a good reason?
In November I'm going to vote against McCain. Most probably that will mean to vote for Obama.

At this point this is idle waste of time because I don't think Hillary can make it. But, do you want reasons for voting for Hillary? She was the most active first lady since Eleanor Roosevelt. As soon as she got to the White House she went to work trying to get us universal health care. Everybody that's making a killing out of our health problems poured tons of money to attack her. Similarly to the swift-boat attacks, this worked (are we stupid, or what?).

There are still people talking against Bill Clinton because he got a blow job. That he presided over the best administration in a long time is not important (are we stupid, or what?). As for me I'll like to see the Clinton team back in charge.
Now what about Obama? This guy is a phoney. Professor at the University of Chicago? He was a lecturer on and off, that's as far as being a prof. as the moon from here. I know how things at universities work.
He keeps saying he was raised at a poor family, while he went to a preparatory school for over 16K/year. He keeps saying he was conceived during the march on Selma which happened 5 years after he was born.
PHONEY, PHONEY, PHONEY ...
He doesn't have any thing to show except a few talks. And we know that politician talks are very cheap.
He'll have a very hard time finding his way around the white house and the world. That still will be better than a McCain in charge.

I gave up trying to understand why Obama is doing so well. It's like trying to understand why religions are doing that well.

Ok, so the reason to vote for Hillary is that she was an active first lady. She tried to get the US a universal healthcare system, but failed due to opposition from moneyed interests, and perhaps related to her imperious manner. That is more than ludongbin offered, and as yet there have been no reasons proffered as to why anyone should vote for McCain. The bulk of this thread has been reasons why we should vote against various candidates, primarily Obama.

I think that we should vote for Obama because he is the only candidate of the three who has a chance of terminating our long cultural war that began over Vietnam, between the "dirty hippies" and the "patriots". Obama has a lot of experience in legislature, and is able to work with people across the aisle instead of demonizing them. He is charismatic and has motivated a lot of people to get involved in politics. He is helping to supercharge a new sense of civic-mindedness and idealism among younger people, a welcome change. Because of his biracial heritage, he can and has spoken with both authority and honesty about race, America's still-inflamed wound from the sin of slavery. Because of his international background, he has a different and I believe more relevant view of the modern world than other candidates. Also because of his background and his name, the rest of the world, particularly the young Islamic world, will look at him very differently than they would look at candidates bent on continuing the policies of Bush and/or of bombing Iran. Of the three candidates, he would do the most to repair our badly damaged national reputation in the world. Barack Obama is the first candidate in memory who appeals to people at both ends of America's cultural spectrum. I think he will be a "uniter" who will actually make good on the promise.

#144 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:59 AM

Obama is a very charismatic politician, as is Bill Clinton. They both have that gift.
That's not to say he wouldn't be a good, even great, president. The problem is, I don't think we will know, because I don't
think he can win.
The Republicans will make mince meat of him with the Wright issue.
It's their ace in the hole and no matter what the polls say now, once those negative ads start the week before the election,
it's all over for him. I wish that
weren't the case, but others have lost for far less than their spiritual mentor saying god damn America and their wife
saying it's the first time in her adult life she's proud to be an American. For me, that's refreshing but most Americans are not ready
for it, and I think it will motivate them to vote against him in the general election.
Having said that,
I'd love to be proven wrong, cause it looks more and more like he's going to get the nomination....Jimmy Carter even came
out for him in a round about way.
But when he talks about raising the federal capital gains tax to 28%, and increasing taxes
for those making 200,000 I bet there will be many rethinking their vote for him.
I remember democrats who voted for Bush in 2004 - they were ashamed to admit it, but they did - just because of taxes.
I was shocked. Successful people in their thirties. Liberal democrats. I couldn't believe it.

#145 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:00 AM

But when he talks about raising the federal capital gains tax to 28%, and increasing taxes for those making 200,000 I bet there will be many rethinking their vote for him. I remember democrats who voted for Bush in 2004 - they were ashamed to admit it, but they did - just because of taxes. I was shocked. Successful people in their thirties. Liberal democrats. I couldn't believe it.

Voting their economic self interest... I wonder if they connect their low capital gains taxes to the bloodshed that Bush caused? Like if you amortized it over all Americans, how many tax dollars were saved per dead Iraqi child? How many per brain damaged young American soldier? How many bucks per drowned Louisianan? Compassionate Conservatism, baby- Ka-Ching!

#146 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:17 AM

But when he talks about raising the federal capital gains tax to 28%, and increasing taxes for those making 200,000 I bet there will be many rethinking their vote for him. I remember democrats who voted for Bush in 2004 - they were ashamed to admit it, but they did - just because of taxes. I was shocked. Successful people in their thirties. Liberal democrats. I couldn't believe it.

Voting their economic self interest... I wonder if they connect their low capital gains taxes to the bloodshed that Bush caused? Like if you amortized it over all Americans, how many tax dollars were saved per dead Iraqi child? How many per brain damaged young American soldier? How many bucks per drowned Louisianan? Compassionate Conservatism, baby- Ka-Ching!

That's what I told them when they confessed, but it didn't seem to bother them that much.
I think the fact that the price of gas went up bothered them more.
I was stunned. I think there are a lot of people like that.

Did you hear that excerpt of King's April 30th, 1967
"Why I am opposed to the war in VietNam" sermon they played on TV today.
God has a way of standing before the nations with judgment, and it seems that I can hear God saying to America, "You're too arrogant! And if you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power, and I'll place it in the hands of a nation that doesn't even know my name. Be still and know that I'm God."
It's the most amazing sermon. I linked it above. Just awesome. It certainly put Rev. Wright in the proper context.
40 years later and we are dangerously close to his prediction being fulfilled. We have to make a change in the direction of this country. A radical change.

#147 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:27 AM

That's what I told them when they confessed, but it didn't seem to bother them that much.
I think the fact that the price of gas went up bothered them more.
I was stunned. I think there are a lot of people like that.

Did you hear that excerpt of King's April 30th, 1967
"Why I am opposed to the war in VietNam" sermon they played on TV today.
God has a way of standing before the nations with judgment, and it seems that I can hear God saying to America, "You're too arrogant! And if you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power, and I'll place it in the hands of a nation that doesn't even know my name. Be still and know that I'm God."
It's the most amazing sermon. I linked it above. Just awesome. It certainly put Rev. Wright in the proper context.
40 years later and we are dangerously close to his prediction being fulfilled. We have to make a change in the direction of this country. A radical change.

Yeah, I think maybe that's what Rev. Wright was trying to say. Too bad he might have set the country back who knows how far. He and, to be fair (and balanced), Fox News. Jeez, MLK saying America is arrogant? Talking about God "Damning" us? Wow. If he hadn't been gunned down 40 years ago, and he had run for public office, and Fox News had been around then, they could have run that in a loop.

#148 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, I think maybe that's what Rev. Wright was trying to say. Too bad he might have set the country back who knows how far. He and, to be fair (and balanced), Fox News. Jeez, MLK saying America is arrogant? Talking about God "Damning" us? Wow. If he hadn't been gunned down 40 years ago, and he had run for public office, and Fox News had been around then, they could have run that in a loop.

That IS what Rev. Wright was trying to say. This country is in denial. How can they think they don't have
blood on their hands from their very inception. As for King, after that sermon, they tore him apart, called him unpatriotic and
eventually had him killed, because the ruling class cannot handle that kind of truth being disseminated. Especially by a Nobel Prize
winner who could move the masses to action.
In the latest gallup poll they said 81% of the people thought this country was on the wrong path yet half of them would still vote for McCain.
I wish the democrats would just talk about increasing corporate taxes and not increasing individual taxes and capital gains. That's what makes people vote Republican. And especially now, in this economy. It's just common sense. Nobody wants to pay higher taxes.
Also, Obama's campaign should run Dr. Kings speech to put Rev. Wright comments in the proper perspective so that by the time
the general election comes around, it will be old hat. They can't ignore it. It will be back to haunt them, and they would be better off if they were
the ones managing it. Of course, the fact that Obama said he never heard Wright make those comments holds him
open to being accused of lying, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Republicans dig up some evidence that he did hear those sermons.
They say the best defense is a good offense, so they need to take control of that issue before the Republicans do.

#149 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:15 PM

Nice try. Obama listened to this guy wright for 20 years, followed his advised, considered him his spiritual mentor and gave him a prominent role in his campaign. When it became public what kind of person Wright was, Obama tried to put some distance and gave a few lame excuses.
Now, more creative people are proposing that Obama was right all along; Wright is just like Martin L. King (MLK). OK, let's take a closer look. Listen again to Wright's sermons. They are vitriolic and appealing to the worse instinct of his congregation, inciting to violence. And they are clearly racists. Blaming the "white" government for propagating aids among blacks and distributing cocaine.
Let's now revisit the MLK legacy. Being a preacher for mainly poor and segregated people he felt the need to help them. He saw that segregation had to be fought nationwide. He organized marches walking at the front. He confronted authorities and bigots putting his life on the line.
He saw that segregation by color wasn't the only problem. Economic exploitation was as big of an injustice. So he started calling for more equality in all aspects. Not only in the US but in the world at large.
Was during MLK transition from a Black civil rights advocate, to a full fledge anti-militaristic socialist, that he was assassinated. We don't have anybody with the vision and guts of MLK at present.
So obama handlers: Don't even think of running the Wright-MLK comparison. Don't equate "I have a dream" with "I have a nightmare". It will backfire.

#150 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

Nice try. Obama listened to this guy wright for 20 years, followed his advised, considered him his spiritual mentor and gave him a prominent role in his campaign. When it became public what kind of person Wright was, Obama tried to put some distance and gave a few lame excuses.
Now, more creative people are proposing that Obama was right all along; Wright is just like Martin L. King (MLK). OK, let's take a closer look. Listen again to Wright's sermons. They are vitriolic and appealing to the worse instinct of his congregation, inciting to violence. And they are clearly racists. Blaming the "white" government for propagating aids among blacks and distributing cocaine.
Let's now revisit the MLK legacy. Being a preacher for mainly poor and segregated people he felt the need to help them. He saw that segregation had to be fought nationwide. He organized marches walking at the front. He confronted authorities and bigots putting his life on the line.
He saw that segregation by color wasn't the only problem. Economic exploitation was as big of an injustice. So he started calling for more equality in all aspects. Not only in the US but in the world at large.
Was during MLK transition from a Black civil rights advocate, to a full fledge anti-militaristic socialist, that he was assassinated. We don't have anybody with the vision and guts of MLK at present.
So obama handlers: Don't even think of running the Wright-MLK comparison. Don't equate "I have a dream" with "I have a nightmare". It will backfire.

I agree that Wright is nowhere near as honorable as MLK, and I doubt anyone thinks he is. At the same time, the particular sound bite that was circulated endlessly by the Right isn't wrong. I remember FOX news presented it by saying "Wright suggested that 9/11 was payback for US foreign policy." This is not radical at all... in fact, it is what Osama Bin Laden constantly says in his little videos. I suppose you could argue that Bin Laden was lying to us in his explanation for why he attacked us, but it would be a moronic argument.

It was simply the tone and language that Wright used which borders on demagoguery, and wasn't something that is likely to bring people together in the spirit of MLK. Of course getting angry isn't a crime, and since after mining through every sermon he ever preached, that was the best they could do, I am not impressed. I haven't seen Wright actually say anything about AIDS, but if he did it would be pretty obnoxious. At the same time, I have heard much more obnoxious things from McCain and his Republican friends.

This is a non-issue. We should talk about serious things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users