• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Can we conduct life-extension tests at home?

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

Poll: interested in MPrize@home? (47 member(s) have cast votes)

The feasibility of MPrize@home mostly depend how many participate. Would you be interested in participating? (having a few mice at home to participate in a lifespan test). Select the answer that is the closest to your situation

1. Definitely, count on me! I've already bought a cage/I'll buy it before the first experiment starts (19 votes [40.43%])

Percentage of vote: 40.43%

2. Why not... Let's first see how it works with you guys (15 votes [31.91%])

Percentage of vote: 31.91%

3. Sorry i can't (allergic to cats; work in a rodent facility and not allowed to have rodent/cat at home; other) (5 votes [10.64%])

Percentage of vote: 10.64%

4. not interested/don't have 1h per week for such things/afraid of mice (4 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

5. Already acting towards longevity in another way / Count on others to live longer / Against living longer (4 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 06:49 PM

Experimental strategies:
a) everyone should share the same experiments (to ensure statistics for each experiment)?
b) everyone should try it's own experiment (without trying what others try)?
c) in between: what then?

I think that 'a' is definitely better for checking that a published lifeextending method does work* in our 'normal'/'different' conditions, or to test the validity of our 'Mprize @ home' approach. So I'd rather start with 'a'.

Then, to find better lifeextending methods I guess that we'll do 'a' for safety, unless we are able to sort of prove that 'c' or 'b' is better (e.g. with a program that decides some user-unknown rules to live longer, and simulates random lifespan test outcomes to see on average how the strategies compare; similarly to what i did to obtain these results)

Feel free to give your opinion (of course)

AgeVivo

*some scientist believe that most published lifeextending methods do not work:

This problem plagues all the claims of "extended" lifespan from non-genomic interventions other than CR, such as the "Melatonin Miracle" of the 1990s (5) -- gosh, I'm an old fart! Come on, SENS ... ), and this and related problems also render most of the reports of murine "longevity mutants" to date vacuous.(6; cf FIRKO, Klotho, SAMP, IRS2, and many other examples) That's why the biogerontology literature keeps somberly saying stuff like "caloric restriction (CR) is the only intervention repeatedly demonstrated to retard the onset and incidence of age-related diseases, maintain function, and extend both lifespan and health span in mammals, including brain and behavioral function" (7), even tho' supplement vendors keep making contrary claims for everything from selenium to BHT.

Edited by AgeVivo, 16 October 2008 - 06:52 PM.

#62 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:32 PM

mice cages: plexiglas
I confirm that I suggest plexiglass cages. I've tried a friends' cage made out of glass: i don't suggest it because it is heavy and doesn't come with toys nor a water bottle. As an example, here is the cage I bought: (http://www.mpsitalia.it/ - box - kleo)
Posted Image
It is typically good for 5 mice. Dimensions: 58 length x 32 width x 42 height (com).
I bought mice <30 euros. I'm planning to buy 2 other such cages (i have the room above my kitchen's cupboards).
I'm not using the top so it is more like this cage:
Posted Image
As posted previously, the cage has one drawback: the hole to insert the tip of the waterbottle is too wide in height. As a result mice put their nose through the hole and enlarge it. The way i found is to take one of the clips that keep the bootom and top parts of the cage together (you can see them on bothsides, they are not really usefull) and put it between the waterbottle and the cage in order to block the hole. If you buy such a cage you'll see in a few seconds what i mean.

While i'm on http://www.mpsitalia.it/ i see 2 other cages that shoulnd't have that 'hole' issue (which isn't really an issue anymore) and might better fit on the top of your kitchen cupboards:
Posted Image
dimensions (cm): 50x40x34h and 42x30x25h. Typically for 5 and 4 mice
water
the small waterbottle lasts one week with 2 mice but it won't with 5 mice => buy a larger bottle at your local petstore. For the kleo box (the one i have) i checked: enlarging the hole (which had been started by the mice ;-) is easy a sufficient to put the larger bottle. Don't use a recipient with water: they would fill it with litter and food => food would rot.
litter
so-called 'vegetal' litter is supposed to be the best for healt therefore i'm planning to keep it. However i also tried straw (very cheap) and my mice liked it much because they can construct holes in it. wood chip is said to harm mice lungs in the long term.
food
go to your local petstore, take the granulas for mice/rabbbits. don't take fancy ones. put the granulas directly on the top of litter (not within it: they won't find/take it). mice eat anything but avoid giving them your food because diarrhoea can kill them
vacations
if you can't bring them with you/give them to someone, use more litter to limit smell, enough food so that they won't lack it, wash well your big waterbottle and, exceptionally, put vinegar in the water (eg 20%). PS: i haven't tested it for more than 2 weeks...
experiment
i'm still quite hesitating wrt which experiment try.
-
i think that CR is difficult for a first try, in terms of methodology.
- i'm now convinced that it is better if we are several to do the same tests (i started writting a program to test other strategies, see above post, but realized that if we play with parameters that don't impact lifespan much we may otherwise think it does and lose much time oin this).
- either a mutant mouse or a special food or drink. Eg cancer-free mice. Eg granulas low in methionine. Eg a mixture of supplements in water (water+alcohol if needed; resveratrol, benagene, curcumin, lithium).
mice
i would suggest to start with one or two 3 euros mice bought at your local petstore, in order to test your installation and see that you can put your mouse as you want in your hand (or neck for fun) without any risk to be bitten. if the installation isn't correct and a mouse escape (which normally really doesn't happen), a piece of cheese in a toilet-paper-roll on the floor is sufficient to capture it.
Then you can call harlan (http://harlan.com/co...t_us__Europe.hl http://harlan.com/co...orth_America.hl) to buy retired male C57BL6 breeders aged 18 months (14$ per mouse, + transportation cost)(http://harlan.com/re..._mice/c57bl6.hl).

#63 acash

• 37 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:56 AM

[quote name='AgeVivo' date='9-Nov 2008, 07:32 PM' post='276450']
- i'm now convinced that it is better if we are several to do the same tests (i started writting a program to test other strategies, see above post, but realized that if we play with parameters that don't impact lifespan much we may otherwise think it does and lose much time oin this).
- either a mutant mouse or a special food or drink.[color="#000000"] Eg cancer-free mice. Eg granulas low in methionine. Eg a mixture of supplements in water (water+alcohol if needed; resveratrol, benagene, curcumin, lithium).

Hi AgeVivo,

If you use benaGene, don't put it in the water, it will break down to a different structure that does not increase lifespan. It is best to add it to the food dry (if you have a blending service), or put it in distilled water, roll the mouse pellets in the water, and then freeze the pellets so that the benaGene does not decompose. Then serve up the frozen pellets to the mice. The mice will not have a problem with the frozen pellets. Let me know if you need powdered benaGene. I am willing to donate material for any reasonable scientific test.

Contact Info: acash@benaGene.org

sponsored ad

• Advert

#64 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:08 PM

Thank you acash.
Indeed it is very usefull when trying a supplement (benagene) to have a scientific contact (you).

Reminder for readers: this thread is about MPrize @ home (mostly; it is not written in the title)
- To check the feasibility I've had mice at home for a few months now. Conclusion: they are fun and easy pets
- We are 5 to 10 willing to participate. Conclusion: we could probably start an experiment
- Which experiment? It should be easy and convincing, as much as possible

Currently, I'd naturally go for:
1) cancer-free mice if Zhen Cui or someone of his lab can be a contact
2) benagene and/or compounds listed in my post above (in particular depending which scientific contacts

In the MF forum, epicureanideal is preparing a site to organize mouse experimental data: it will allow everyone to see which lifespans tests have been done so far, analyze them, and propose to new lifespan tests. It might boost MPrize @ home as well.

#65 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:40 PM

here is the thread concerning Zheng Cui's cancer-free mice; the question is: are his mice short lived or normal life span? I'd personnally would very much like having cancer-free mice at home, and test if they live long. But doing that first requires Zheng Cui's lab to test and send mice to us.

#66 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:44 AM

- To check the feasibility I've had mice at home for a few months now. Conclusion: they are fun and easy pets
- We are 5 to 10 willing to participate. Conclusion: we could probably start
an experiment
- Which experiment? It should be easy and convincing, as much as possible

I wouldn't mind having a few nice pets. they lower stress levels and can be healthy. i kinda like mice pets since reading A Flower for Algernon, where Charly the "moron" had brain operations and turned to be a super-genius for a while (tripled his IQ). a nice nootropic brain operation....

These mice originate from fully-controlled lab colonies right? They don't carry any diseases transmittable to humans? don't know if they can get rabies or something. i've an inordinate amt of fear for rabies, which is one reason i avoid contact w/ ~wild animals

#67 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 12:11 AM

These mice originate from fully-controlled lab colonies right? They don't carry any diseases transmittable to humans?

Yes, no worry: whether bought in a pet shop or from Harlan, they come from a controlled-lab colony (more controlled in Harlan), not from a gully hole. In fact they are a lot more free-of-pathogens than you or me. And they'll live in a cage, so they are more protected than you against dangerous diseases and animals.

#68 modelcadet

• 443 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

Researchers should consider using Science Commons' Health Commons framework. If we can be part of any beta of this technology, I'm certain we'll propel LE research.

The Health Commons: Solving the Health Research Puzzle

The pharmaceutical industry is at a crossroads. Despite revolutionary advances in molecular biology that have made genetic decoding routine, the time from gene to cure still stands at 17 years. High-throughput screening methods allow us to test the efficacy of millions of compounds against a molecular target in a single week; but the odds of one of those compounds making it through the development pipeline and becoming a drug are less than 1/1,000,000. A well-funded group starting today, using the traditional model of drug development, has a very slim chance at getting a drug to market by 2025.

The time has come to change the way we cure disease. We are no longer asking whether a gene or a molecule is critical to a particular biological process; rather, we are discovering whole networks of molecular and cellular interactions that contribute to disease. And soon, we will have such information about individuals, rather than the population as a whole. Biomedical knowledge is exploding, and yet the system to capture that knowledge and translate it into saving human lives still relies on an antiquated and risky strategy of focusing the vast resources of a few pharmaceutical companies on just a handful of disease targets.

Check out this white paper!

#69 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:30 AM

Researchers should consider using Science Commons' Health Commons framework. If we can be part of any beta of this technology, I'm certain we'll propel LE research.

nice!

a few intriguing things that could perhaps be studied in MPrize@ home, to study further:
  • sQ1 in water: an antioxidant that is specificly made to go to mitochondria instead of being destroyed elsewhere extends lifespans of various animals!, including some short lived mice (Spontaneous Hypertensive, breast-cancer prone). Trouble: doubts on the validity of this research (http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=27077)
  • metformin: extends lifespans of Spontaneous Hypertensive mice possibly via water retention mechanisms rather than global life extension, however several arguments seem to be in favor of it (http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=26668). Also mentioned in the thread: glucophage (?)
  • Niacinamide + Curcumin: http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=25586 very hypothetical
  • methionine restriction: despite huge life extensions shown in rats, small life extension in mice... difference of protocols to understand/interpret before testing it ourselves http://MRsociety.org
i'm just writing this for further invstigation, don't hesitate to comment; there might be others above in this thread, i'll read them agin but don't hesitate to say them again if you feel it is worth

#70 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

I like the list, I'm all for (dis-)proving efficacy of those hyped supplements and/or drugs.

#71 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:58 AM

I'm adding DNP (2,4-dinitrophenol) to the list, perhaps with a high priority.
What i understand from a rapid reading (Ouroboros page, imminst thread) is that:
- it is a mitochondrial uncoupler that results in burning more fat than normal and generating less ROS...
- and extending life without need for starvation/'squeletization'.

I guess it might be easy and usefull to test it at home because:
- it is available for humans (has been a bodybuilding supplement for decades)
- at small doses it was reported to extend lifespans of flies [paper] and mice [paper]... to tripplecheck !
- note: at 1000 times higher doses would cause life threatening heat/fever

Any thoughts on this? Not able to download the mice paper, if someone can PM it to me...

#72 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

I'm adding DNP (2,4-dinitrophenol) to the list, perhaps with a high priority.

Humm, only a low priority perhaps.

Indeed Micheal already answered: DNP: Yet Another Non Life-Extension... : in the study the control mice lived surprisingly short, and the DNP-treated mice a bit longer but still had surprisingly short lives => difficult to know whether it works. So perhaps after after the "MPrize@ home" approach is shown to be valid (on a less doubtfull intervention).

#73 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:12 PM

...or metformin? http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=23958

#74 Lazarus Long

• Life Member, Guardian
  • 8,116 posts
  • Location:Northern, Western Hemisphere of Earth, Usually of late, New York

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

While your intent is admirable to work with a higher order life form it is clearly far more expensive than it might at first seem.

However it may be possible to work with this species of jellyfish, Turritopsis nutricula and keep the costs very low by seeing if it can be grown in a good sized saltwater tank.

Consider the ability of this species to cheat death by rejuvenating itself more study of it is certainly merited. Check out:

How to Build an Immortal Cell

#75 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:56 PM

Thank you for your interest. If it becomes a model we can certainly learn from that wonderful jellyfish. Still, here are a few questions that should help us realize the obstacles and that IMHO may convince you how handy mouse lifespan tests are for the cause.

While your intent is admirable to work with a higher order life form it is clearly far more expensive than it might at first seem.

?? the prices are above in this thread. Once you've got the full equipment (<200$) it costs virtually nothing per day.

However it may be possible to work with this species of jellyfish, Turritopsis nutricula and keep the costs very low by seeing if it can be grown in a good sized saltwater tank.

- How big the saltwater tank? (in your kitchen, above cupboards?) Price? You need one tank per condition. How do you have the right water? How often to clean it? (approx every two week, once a week, more often?)
- Which water content and food and special care so that they don't get weak in the long term?
- Where do you get it? (easy i guess) How do you avoid progeny in order to be sure you are studying animals?

Consider the ability of this species to cheat death by rejuvenating itself more study of it is certainly merited. Check out: How to Build an Immortal Cell

- How do you test anti-aging interventions on them? Which interventions would you do instead? Why? Can they be done at home? How long will the intervention last?
- How likely is it that the results might be appliable to humans?

Edited by AgeVivo, 13 February 2009 - 06:58 PM.

#76 LEEEP72project

• 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:19 AM

The Health Commons: Solving the Health Research Puzzle

The pharmaceutical industry is at a crossroads. Despite revolutionary advances in molecular biology that have made genetic decoding routine, the time from gene to cure still stands at 17 years. High-throughput screening methods allow us to test the efficacy of millions of compounds against a molecular target in a single week; but the odds of one of those compounds making it through the development pipeline and becoming a drug are less than 1/1,000,000. A well-funded group starting today, using the traditional model of drug development, has a very slim chance at getting a drug to market by 2025.

The time has come to change the way we cure disease. We are no longer asking whether a gene or a molecule is critical to a particular biological process; rather, we are discovering whole networks of molecular and cellular interactions that contribute to disease. And soon, we will have such information about individuals, rather than the population as a whole. Biomedical knowledge is exploding, and yet the system to capture that knowledge and translate it into saving human lives still relies on an antiquated and risky strategy of focusing the vast resources of a few pharmaceutical companies on just a handful of disease targets.

Check out this white paper!

Good idea! What do other people think?

#77 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

? i looked at the Science Commons website, the general idea looks nice (sharing research online), there are several famous partners (including PLOS) but i couldn't find any concrete example or understanding of how we could participate... Could you explain precisely what you are thinking of?

- subject: Life-extensions tests? or Life-extension-tests at home? or Mouse-Life-extension-tests at home?
- where will it stand in Science Commons website?
- how might other researchers/companies participate?
- will it be free? generate money for imminst/mfuri/heales/other? cost?
- what do we need to do to be in that framework, now or later? why doing it?

#78 lucid

• 1,195 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:01 PM

? i looked at the Science Commons website, the general idea looks nice (sharing research online), there are several famous partners (including PLOS) but i couldn't find any concrete example or understanding of how we could participate... Could you explain precisely what you are thinking of?

- subject: Life-extensions tests? or Life-extension-tests at home? or Mouse-Life-extension-tests at home?
- where will it stand in Science Commons website?
- how might other researchers/companies participate?
- will it be free? generate money for imminst/mfuri/heales/other? cost?
- what do we need to do to be in that framework, now or later? why doing it?

Good work AgeVivo, I saw your thread here and I thought that you did some pretty good work. Unfortunately living in a dorm room, I can't participate until I am out of college (1 year) but I would love to start asap.

One thing that I would like to comment on: Most research focuses on a single intervention to be tested; I think that we could contribute most to the field of life extension research by mixing together already tested therapies for mice and see which ones work together (possibly with synergy). Perhaps the best way to organize would be to have people get into groups so that between all of the people, they have enough mice to run the experiment. There wouldn't be much need for top down management, instead, you just need to find 4-5 other people who could agree on a top 5 interventions to test on a batch of mice. Count me in, in a year.

#79 technetium

• 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:40 PM

Has anyone contacted the current MPRIZE competitors to see if there is any work they can 'farm out' to the MPRIZE @ HOME team? There might be 'longevity models' (I'm using this to mean specific mice models/conditions/treatment regimens etc) but not have sufficient space for hundreds of samples for testing mean results... perhaps they could suggest viable research for @ home participant?

Is there a database of mouse models that anyone is aware of? For example when a new mouse model is created through genetic engineering for example for experimental use in any field, does its existance get logged somewhere where it can be peer reviewed/bought and used by people undertaking other research? There must be sources of mice that would otherwise be Euthanised when their current experiments are up, where we could obtain mice of a recorded age and use for our experiements and we might get some novel genetics? I am certain millions of mice are used by pharma and academia that could be rehomed when no longer useful to those entities?

Edited by technetium, 31 March 2009 - 10:41 PM.

#80 technetium

• 43 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 01:40 PM

Any updates on the project?

#81 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

Hi, to answer shortly,

• we won't buy 18 months old mice, it would cost more than 100$ per mouse
  • instead we'll probably buy 7 months old mice (Harlan, C57BL6J, 15$) so the experiment will last 2 years
  • we will probably start soon with Methylene Blue (thread1 thread2) (blue food colorant as a control)
  • each person will have 2 plexiglas cages. Each contain of 5 mice and a 600ml solution.
  • if you think you might want to participate please send me an email at longevity AT agevivo.com
mouse databases exist but we should start with something simple; then many other lifespan tests can indeed be done at home

#82 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

Stephen_b proposed to buy methylene blue at http://www.strictlypetsupplies.com/ , i think it's nice:

Will they sell it to random people such as ourselves?

Sure. It's sold in pet stores to treat fungal infection in tropical fish. I bought mine here for $3.24.

Although i now have my own, well functioning equipment, it is not available on the internet. It would be nice if we could all buy the same equipment over the Internet. It happens that we can buy the remaining equipment at http://www.strictlypetsupplies.com/ :

• cage: this one at 27$ is nice: large (25x14x9 inches = 64x36x23 cm), easy to clean, not too high (can fit above kitchen cupboards), in plexiglas (animals don't throw thins out of the cage), it has a wheel (so that the mice do sport) and a water bottle; the water bottle is too small if you want to take vacations and have several mice. We should have 2 or 3 depending on the experiments we plan. It is better to wash the cages, from time to time.
  • larger water bottle: there are many here, it would be nice if someone would check which we buy: by experience i think it must be at least 20 Lbs if we want to take vacations that we have 5 mice, it should be outside of the cage rather than inside so that mice don't make a whole in the bottle, and we should be able to make it hold correctly without too much trouble. This one at 4.50$ looks ok to me but it needs to be looked in a store. We should have 2 or 3 such bottles depending on the experiments we plan; every other month or so bottles must be well washed.
  • litter: wood chops must be avoided for long-term studies because it hurts their legs and lungs. it is better to avoid chemicals/parfumes since they could interfer with the experiment. This one at 17.43$ for 40 Lb seems nice. Take 4, see how long it last (basically imagine the minimum to cover the bottom of the cage; i put the double, perhaps a little less)
  • food: this one at 18.10$ for 20 Lb looks good for long-lived and healthy animals, at least the text somehow says so. Bay say 4 of those, see how long it last (6 months?) to take more. Poor the food on one place only, a little more than needed until you change the cage.
  • container/ball: to put the animals while you clean/change the cage (one every week or every other week). I prefer a ball such as this one at $4.15, it is more fun. I'd take two, for easier handling. Rapidly wash it after each use.
Could someone living in the US check all this in a strictlypetsuplies store?
Thank you. Suggestions are welcome
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
PS: need to check that we can order from Europe and Australia:

We accept international orders by internet only. Our preferred method of payment is American Express, Discover Card or Bank Wire Transfers. We do not accept Visa, MasterCard or any other types of credit cards issued outside of the United States, Canada, or Puerto Rico. Orders placed with an international Visa or MasterCard will be automatically cancelled. (...) Certain items cannot be shipped internationally.

Edited by AgeVivo, 01 May 2009 - 11:11 AM.

#83 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:22 PM

In the same spirit as Methylene Blue i'd also be interested in trying clioquinol. Japanese people have used this metal chelator against diarhea for 80 years, and in the last decaded it was found to inhibit clock-1 and have actions against alzheimer, parkinson and hungtington. Recently abandonned as a treatment (at ery high doses it is toxic) --like methylene blue btw--. Had heard of it for several years but I read this: Old gastrointestinal drug slows aging, McGill researchers say

Moreover I couldn't find any rodent lifespan test done with clioquinol (here is my list of databases to know if something has been tested so far); i think it is something to try...with methylene blue? :-D

#84 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

I was suggested to try DNA + RNA injections. Indeed in 1977 Max Odens observed that it possibly doubled the lifespan of rats. Here is a post about it on the internet. Although on the internet it is cited along with respectful references, that paper didn't detail anything and it seems that noone reproduced the result. Moreover we're not going to do injections (especially repeated) at home, so it is definitely not possible for MPrize @ home.

#85 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:29 PM

News concerning Benagene(=oxaloacetic acid=OOA):

We told Alan Cash (Terra Biological LLC) that we were interested in testing OOA with the MPrize @ home. He seemed to appreciate the initiative; he told us that OOA should not be administered via the drinking water because it turns into another compound that is belived to be inactive. Instead, he said that if we want to test OOA then Terra Biological LLC may be willing to give us the needed chow (OOA containing chow as well control chow). Thank you Alan :)

The effects of OOA on mouse life extension are currently under test with the NIA's Intervention Testing Program (ITP), it seems reasonable that they may have preliminary results in 6 monhs to 1 year; so we might better wait for such preliminary results to then test OOA or not.

Edited by AgeVivo, 07 May 2009 - 04:32 PM.

#86 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

Since MF posts can be constantly updated i am using the MF thread to post final/constantly updated elements for MPrize at home, and you should use this imminst thread for discussion and suggestions. If you add a post in the MF thread, make sure you maintain it.

Here is the MF post for materials and costs at various pet shops.
At this moment the shops are StriclyPetSupplies, Pet Co and PetSmarts.
If you want to cite other ones, please post it in this imminst thread. Thank you.

Edited by AgeVivo, 16 May 2009 - 11:24 AM.

#87 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:01 AM

The project has now been officially created in imminst

#88 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:46 PM

The project has now been officially created in imminst

Did you ask whether imminst can officially support the project and (discuss whether imminst could) provide some minimal monetary support? From the member's discussion I remember that we'd like to support one big and some smaller scientific projects each year. Then there's also the director's treasure chest.

#89 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 10:46 AM

@kismet: i've asked your questions. thx
@resvhead:

Does anyone know if and where I can get C57BL6 mice or other lab mice in Australia?

yes: http://www.ozgene.com : +61 8 9212 2200

#90 AgeVivo

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Engineer
  • 2,111 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:40 PM

Caliban found that this guy reported fly longevity experiments at home:

181st update: natto (health food in Japan)
193rd update: vitamin K1 or K2 and more
214th update: garlic

With fly lifespan he has to carefully deal with things like temperature.
He reports fly lifespan every ten days or so... i thought it should be done quite more often with flies
He surely thought a lot about his system but i haven't found his protocol yet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users