• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone here actually drink red wine?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 maltby

• 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:46 AM

I'm just curious. I'm new to the forum. My impression from reading through the posts is that a lot of people here don't drink/enjoy red wine. This seems ironic, to me at least. Is my impression wrong?

I do understand that people are taking amounts of resveratrol that would be impossible to get from red wine.

#2 maltby

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:09 AM

Sorry about the typo. I actually know how to spell actually. I just don't know how to edit the subject line.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 01:11 AM

I'm just curious. I'm new to the forum. My impression from reading through the posts is that a lot of people here don't drink/enjoy red wine. This seems ironic, to me at least. Is my impression wrong?

I do understand that people are taking amounts of resveratrol that would be impossible to get from red wine.

I'm not a huge fan of alcohol therefore not a big fan of red wine. That being said, alcohol in small amounts (one serving per day) has been show to have positive effects on numerous things such as blood pressure, raising HDL cholesterol, cardiovascular disease etc. However, the therapeutic window is very small and more than one serving per day begins to approach the effects seen with no alcohol consumed. So how much resveratrol, tannins and associated compounds are in the healthy choice of one glass of red wine per day, in my opinion not very much, thus supplementation is the only option.

The whole red wine for long life concept derives mostly it seems from the french paradox idea which is really a media creation. Basically the French eat a lot of saturated fat and "rich" food yet live substantially longer and have less cv disease than Americans, British, Canadians etc. so voila! it must be the red wine consumed with every meal. In my opion its the fact that their diet is much more varied than "ours" and contains many more wholesome fresh ingredients. The ORAC value per day, as well as the varied sources of compounds contributing to this, is probably much higher than the average western diet. Also the French lifestyle may very well be less stressful as in my study of French in school it was often noted that the French work fewer hours and spend more time participating in recreational activities, less time commuting etc. etc. all factors in CV disease.

Edited by edward, 11 April 2008 - 01:12 AM.

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:54 AM

I drink red wine occasionally. I also make my own fruit wine from time to time.

#5 Live Forever

• Guest Recorder
  • 7,475 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:43 AM

I drink red wine occasionally. I also make my own fruit wine from time to time.

How would one go about accomplishing that? I gather that getting the juice and some sort of yeast together to ferment is required, but beyond that, it seems like an interesting experiment that I might try some day.

#6 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:52 AM

I probably AVERAGE a serving a day. I go to dinner with a friend of mine about once a week. We both like red wine and so we split a bottle, usually pinot noir. I wonder if doing it this way is as beneficial as having one glass of wine each day.

BTW, maltby, what did you spell incorrectly?

#7 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

I love red wine and drink it regulalry. No more than 2 glasses a day though as I enjoy the taste, not the alchohol effect.

There are numerous Pinot Noirs I prefer and on an occassion a couple of Merlots I like. On the rare occassion I drink white, its pinot grigio or a couple of different types of cold sake.

#8 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

I drink red wine, Rioja or Shiraz only. In the summer 1 glass a day, not more.

#9 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:09 PM

Make and drink it, usually just 1-2 glasses at a time.......

#10 steelheader

• 106 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

I've been drinking red wine, preferably Cabernet Sauvignon with good tannic structure, for the last 50 years. (Until the adoption of modern wine making techniques all Cab had a lot of tannins.) On average about half a bottle per day. It may have nothing to do with being a wino, but I'm in great shape for being in my 70s.
  • Cheerful x 2

#11 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 07:58 PM

I'll have a drink of red wine definitely, 3xweek and I feel less guilty about the sugar/carbs if it's red wine over other alcohols (which I also enjoy imbibing).

#12 maltby

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:06 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have red wine every night with dinner myself. And I just thought I would add a little res into the mix (cheap pill form), thinking washing it down with red wine might help with bioavailablity issue. Maybe it's a complete waste at such small dose, but then again its not unpleasant and its not much money either.

#13 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone. I have red wine every night with dinner myself. And I just thought I would add a little res into the mix (cheap pill form), thinking washing it down with red wine might help with bioavailablity issue. Maybe it's a complete waste at such small dose, but then again its not unpleasant and its not much money either.

If it's a 50% extract, it will ruin the taste of the wine.

#14 inawe

• 653 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:36 PM

Malbecman,
From what you posted it seems you know more about wine than most
people around here (including me). And from your nick it seems you
favor Malbec. May I ask why?
I read somewhere that the Malbec vineyards in France were wiped out by
a plague and most of the Malbec is now produced in Argentina.

#15 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:05 PM

I come from a family rife with alcoholics, including my paternal grandfather, father, mother, and brother, so I approach alcoholic beverages with caution. Nonetheless, I drink approximately 3 glasses of wine/week, usually on weekends in social situations or when dining. I tend to favor Pinot Noir, Shiraz, and Petite Sirahs.

#16 Shoe

• Guest, F@H
  • 135 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

I don't like wine, so I don't drink it. I don't like alcohol at all, actually, and I doubt that I ever will.

#17 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:13 AM

I drink one glass of red daily. On balance, studies show that the optimal intake of alcohol is around one glass daily, and red wine has plenty of benefits beyond the resveratrol -- particularly the polyphenols.

Obviously, like almost everyone here, I don't drink it for the resveratrol -- I get that separately in a supplement.

Edited by resveratrol, 13 April 2008 - 03:14 AM.

#18 extrasolar

• Guest, F@H
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:01 AM

nope, not me.

#19 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

I do like a good Malbec, it has a nice plum/jam flavor. But then I also would list Cabernet Sauv, Cab Franc and Petite Syrah as my favorite reds. Of course, a GOOD Merlot or Pinot Noir is very nice as well (but often pricey). Malbecman certainly sounded better to me than Merlotman, no?

I actually have a master's degree in Enology (winemaking) from my past and worked at a major winery as a Asst winemaker before coming back to science.

As my wine sensory science professor (who was quite famous in her field) used to say "Wine is hedonistic!" and that it is a personal choice about what you prefer. Don't listen to the snobs and find what you like in other words. Her favorite wine shopping was in the "fighting varietals" range, eg $6-14 a bottle. Sometimes its plunk, most of the time its okay and sometimes you find a great deal. ;-)

Robert Mondavi was known to split a bottle most every night with his wife and he's like 95 now.... must be all those polyphenolics and resveratrol. :)

Malbecman,

#20 Hedgehog

• 462 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

humm maybe you can help me then. We just planted about 900 vines of merlot and cab. Hoping to get a few barrels. Built a small wine cave to keep everything at the right temp. Any suggestions of good books for wine making?

I see you like the fruit forward wines?

I do like a good Malbec, it has a nice plum/jam flavor. But then I also would list Cabernet Sauv, Cab Franc and Petite Syrah as my favorite reds. Of course, a GOOD Merlot or Pinot Noir is very nice as well (but often pricey). Malbecman certainly sounded better to me than Merlotman, no?

I actually have a master's degree in Enology (winemaking) from my past and worked at a major winery as a Asst winemaker before coming back to science.

As my wine sensory science professor (who was quite famous in her field) used to say "Wine is hedonistic!" and that it is a personal choice about what you prefer. Don't listen to the snobs and find what you like in other words. Her favorite wine shopping was in the "fighting varietals" range, eg $6-14 a bottle. Sometimes its plunk, most of the time its okay and sometimes you find a great deal. ;-)

Robert Mondavi was known to split a bottle most every night with his wife and he's like 95 now.... must be all those polyphenolics and resveratrol. :)

Malbecman,

#21 speedlet

• 20 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:05 AM

Mondavi was built like an ox into his nineties -- he looked as strong as a man 40 years younger.

When asked if he attributed his phenomenal vitality to wine, he said yes, but even more so he chalked it up to massage -- he believed in getting a 90-minute massage every day.

When my wife told this to her masseuse, he wasn't surprised -- he said that massage works out the toxins in muscles and is a passive form of muscle conditioning.

So maybe somebody needs to start a massage thread...

#22 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:27 AM

Malbecman,

In 1956 a severe frost devastated the Malbec vines in Bordeaux, and they were not replanted as the growers did not want to risk losing their vines again to anoher frost. Malbec is particularly frost sensitive. Cabernet and Merlot are tougher and survived. However in Cahors, hit by the same frost, Malbec was replanted. By law, wines with the Cahors appellation must be 70% or more from Malbec. I could go on, describing the difference in the softer Argentine Malbecs, or the overly big fruity new plantings from the valley floor in Cahors, versus the flintier wines from the old-style vineyards in the rocky hills surrounding the valley, but this forum is supposed to be about resveratrol, after all. Malbec grapes like a 27 degree difference between daytime and nighttime temperatures, and a hot sun in the day; such growing conditions are surely conducive to a high resveratrol content. Alas, not so high as that of the bitter roadside weed, Polygonum cuspidatum.

FWIW, I like a good California cabernet franc, but it is hard to get on the east coast. The skin is thinner than Cab. sauvignon, more prone to injury, and the yield is lower. Cheval Blanc is made with mostly Cabernet franc, with a little Merlot, which accounts for its distinct peppery taste: like Szechuan peppers with a hint of anise. The best bottle I ever shared with friends was a 1953 Cheval Blanc... but I digress again. Can we rename this forum "Resveratrol and Wine"?

#23 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:31 AM

I drink mostly white Zinfandel, but love red wine and plan on drinking some more more often. I love the Reservatol that red wine does have in it and when I do drink red wine it is usually Pinot Grigio and Merlot.

#24 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

Sorry guys,

I don't drink wine, and neither does my wife for the reasons in the link below:
=================================================
The study cited here:
http://jama.ama-assn...tract/279/7/535
=================================================

Having said that, are people here opposed to a dietary supplement with a high percentage of alcohol?
I found some here that I am not sure about:

http://www.a-1associ...om/aa/Drugs.htm

A

#25 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:16 PM

I drink one small glass of wine (generally red, but not always) per day.

There is an other tread with some details.

#26 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

I come from a family rife with alcoholics, including my paternal grandfather, father, mother, and brother, so I approach alcoholic beverages with caution. Nonetheless, I drink approximately 3 glasses of wine/week, usually on weekends in social situations or when dining. I tend to favor Pinot Noir, Shiraz, and Petite Sirahs.

Me too. I wonder what is it about me that prevents me from becoming alcoholic despite a family history? I guess the mechanism isn't really understood.

I love shiraz too. I was fortunate to be able to tour the Barossa valley when visiting Adelaide some years back. Australia is a wonderful place.

Oh, as for Australian beer, I say thank god for Australian wine. :)

Stephen

#27 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:05 PM

I drink a glass of red wine with dinner almost every night. In addition to the polyphenol benefits, for me enjoying wine goes hand in hand with paying attention to what you eat and really enjoying food. The Mediterranean way of eating. I find that if I am tuned into what I eat, listen to my body and enjoy food and eating, I end up craving nutritious food more than junk food. Wine kind of goes naturally with this way of eating for me.

#28 gachu

• 3 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:09 AM

It's the best. I especially love a good cabernet. White wine bothers my stomach, as do white grapes.
I drink in moderation and I do enjoy it with dinner.

#29 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

I have a couple of bottles per week of blueberry dessert wine. It's good stuff, and pretty much emasculating when your friends all meet up to hang out and it's all you have left in the 'fridge so you take it anyway.

Edited by shepard, 23 April 2008 - 12:55 AM.
I'm stupid.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 12:52 AM

I have a couple of bottles per week of blueberry dessert wine. It's good stuff, and pretty much emasculating when you your friends all meet up to hang out and it's all you have left in the 'fridge so you take it anyway.

Blame it on your girlfriend?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users