Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

My NEW SUNSCREEN launched

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#91 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

Anyone here knowledgeable as to what's the verdict on sugar, it's widely used in sunscreens as emulsifier.

What sugars? As far as I know sugars are not emulsifiers, but sugar esters are.

#92 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Thanks eva.
Yes, my inci reads sucrose stearate, to be precise. So given their high mol. weight, if they're stable and don't weave their way in like beta-glucans do, they're probably safe?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Thanks eva.
Yes, my inci reads sucrose stearate, to be precise. So given their high mol. weight, if they're stable and don't weave their way in like beta-glucans do, they're probably safe?

Sucrose Stearate is classified as EMOLLIENT, EMULSIFYING, SKIN CONDITIONING, SURFACTANT. And it is safe to use.

#94 Daniel Qamar

• 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:03 AM

Hi Eva,

Sorry to be a pain (again). Just wanted to know if there was any progress with your sunscreen? =)

#95 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:13 PM

Hi Eva,

Sorry to be a pain (again). Just wanted to know if there was any progress with your sunscreen? =)

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for following up :)
There has indeed! I have completer the work and some of the testing is already done. The test panel did like the sunscreen's consistency and finish immensely! :) The only thing left is the stability and microbial testing.
I did order a very simple packaging (tottle) which I am eagerly waiting for to be delivered. When that is done and the stability and microbial testing are completed and show that the product is stable (also microbial) then production can start right away. I do hope this will happen very soon.

The version of the sunscreen I went for is a very light fluid Japanese-type fluid that is extremely elegant, lightweight veil with no visible whitening. It does leave a fantastic finish on the skin without being visible. I do wear it alone (no make-up) and strangers have come up to me on the street and commented on my skin how lovely it looked and what make-up I use :)
I have tried it on men and the finish is absolutely natural. It is your skin just better :)

I will keep you posted about when it is finally available :)

#96 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

Any idea on pricing/availability across Europe yet?

#97 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

Any idea on pricing/availability across Europe yet?

It is mostly for Norway at least in the beginning. It might be available through the net. This product is classified as prestige cosmetics. I do not have the exact pricing yet.
I will definitely make a lower priced version of the sunscreen fluid as well.

#98 Geijutsu

• 25 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:49 AM

Eva,

While waiting for your sunscreen to be available, do you have any sunscreen in mind that you would recommend? I'm a male and I don't want anything that's too obvious, also I don't want it to feel like a hustle every time I'm applying it, tried at least 3 different brands by now, and they're either too obvious, too drying, or take time to apply evenly in order to prevent patches and obvious casting.

thanks.

#99 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hi Geijutsu,

Japanese sunscreens tend to be very light and elegant and easy to apply.
Otherwise you could try some sunscreens with a lower SPF (SPF 15-20). They have much less organic filters to achieve the desired SPF rating, hence they will be lighter and much more elegant, than sunscreens with higher SPF.
Mac Studio Moisture SPF 15 creme has 3.5% OMC and 6.8% ZnO (+ additional anti-oxidants), costs about $30, 1.7 oz (50 ml). Very light, elegant moisturizer packaged in practical pump for an affordable price. No whitening, semi-matte. The only drawback is that it has added fragrance, but it is masculine, so I guess it will not be bothering for you.
I also like Clinique Even Better Hand Creme SPF 15 (Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 3%, Octisalate 5%). It has a really nice finish on facial skin and far too light to be a good hand creme, but it is a very nice and light facial moisturizer. It has some nice anti-oxidants added as well. No fragrance. Cost $35, practical tube packaging, 2.5 oz (75 ml). Invisible on skin, no oily residue.

Both of these moisturizers with sunscreen are a good option for autumn and spring, but also for a not too cold or windy winter.

Eva,

While waiting for your sunscreen to be available, do you have any sunscreen in mind that you would recommend? I'm a male and I don't want anything that's too obvious, also I don't want it to feel like a hustle every time I'm applying it, tried at least 3 different brands by now, and they're either too obvious, too drying, or take time to apply evenly in order to prevent patches and obvious casting.

thanks.

#100 Geijutsu

• 25 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:35 AM

Hi Eva,

Any idea when will your sunscreen be available, do you have an approximate timing?

#101 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:34 PM

Hello Eva,

Will your sunscreen be okay for the eyes, too? Or are there particular ingredients that should only be used on the eye area?

#102 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

It is not too long now. almost all the testing is done. The only thing remaining is the packaging. Hopefully everything is ready by early spring for launching.

Thank you for your interest, Geijutsu! :)

Hi Eva,

Any idea when will your sunscreen be available, do you have an approximate timing?

#103 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hello Eva,

Will your sunscreen be okay for the eyes, too? Or are there particular ingredients that should only be used on the eye area?

Hi JB Forrester,

All the ingredients are safe for usage around the eye-area. It is a very fluid sunscreen and application very close to the eyes is not advisable. I have used the sunscreen everyday since the spring and I also use it around the eyes. Have not noticed any irritation or problems either around the eyes or in the eyes.
This sunscreen settles into a silky-matte veil very quickly after application.
I also discovered a new usage. Lately I mix it with a coloured day-creme to have the consistency of the creme lighter and much less covering, additionally to increase its UVA protection. It really makes coloured day-cremes so much more elegant and gives an extremely natural finish. :)
  • like x 1

#104 Daniel Qamar

• 16 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Hello Eva,

Hi JB Forrester,

All the ingredients are safe for usage around the eye-area. It is a very fluid sunscreen and application very close to the eyes is not advisable. I have used the sunscreen everyday since the spring and I also use it around the eyes. Have not noticed any irritation or problems either around the eyes or in the eyes.
I also discovered a new usage. Lately I mix it with a coloured day-creme to have the consistency of the creme lighter and much less covering, additionally to increase its UVA protection. It really makes coloured day-cremes so much more elegant and gives an extremely natural finish. :)

Hi Eva,

I am jealous that you get to use this sunscreen daily and I don't :) Haha.

Sorry for being a pain yet again... but how's the sunscreen going? Any news on approximately what month it will be ready for launch? Really looking forward to it! Definitely going to stock up on this stuff and also get it for my family. The Australian sun is quite brutal.

Thanks Eva =)

#105 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hi Daniel,

It's sweet of you thinking of my sunscreen! :)
Hopefully it can be launched in the spring. I still have not received the correct packaging but am working on it!
I will let you know when it is available :)

Hello Eva,

Hi JB Forrester,

Hi Eva,

Sorry for being a pain yet again... but how's the sunscreen going? Any news on approximately what month it will be ready for launch? Really looking forward to it! Definitely going to stock up on this stuff and also get it for my family. The Australian sun is quite brutal.

Thanks Eva =)

#106 Daniel Qamar

• 16 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Haha =) No problem! Looking forward to it.

I just have a question for you... if I could please ask for your professional opinion.

I am thinking of using this sunscreen: Mentolathum Sunplay SuperBlock SPF130 PA+++

I'd like to know if you think this provides good UVA and UVB protection. I was unable to find the percentage of zinc oxide in it... only the ingredients list. Not even the product has the percentages listed... but here are the ingredients. I'd like to know if you think it's a good sunscreen with good UVA protection:

Ingredients: Cyclotetrasiloxane, Zinc Oxide, Dimethicone, Isononyl Isononanoate, Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, Water, Ethylhexyl salicylate, Titanium Dioxide, Aluminum hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Silica, Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Cyclomethicone, PEG-11 Methyl Ether Dimethicone, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, PEG/PPG-20/22 Butyl Ether Dimethicone, Aloe Barbadensis, Tocopheryl Acetate, Silk powder, Methylparaben.

I am currently using this sunscreen which contains the following active ingredients... which do you think would provide superior protection?

Octinoxate 7.5%, Titanium Dioxide 2% and Zinc Oxide 17.1%.

Thank you so much for any help!! =)

Hi Daniel,

Hopefully it can be launched in the spring. I still have not received the correct packaging but am working on it!

Hello Eva,

Hi JB Forrester,

Hi Eva,

Thanks Eva =)

#107 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hi Daniel,

The Mentolathum Sunplay SuperBlock SPF130 PA+++ sunscreen hopefully gives the stated SPF. If it is sold in the EU or US or Japan, they have to test the SPF according to Colipa or the Japanese standard. This sunscreen is either US or Asian.
If we assume that the OMC is at least 7.5% then the ZnO is def. higher since it is the second ingredients on the label. I would assume Zn is between 10-15%, maybe higher. I would also assume that OS is 5% and TiO2 is about the same.
This sunscreen will give a very high UVB protecton and a much weeker UVA protection, about 15-20, depending on the ZnO content. It is definitely NOT a balanced UV-protector.

The second sunscreen (which reminds me of Chanel UV-Essentiel) provides a more balanced protection, even though it is still a UV-biased sunscreen.

Hope it could be of some help.
E.

I just have a question for you... if I could please ask for your professional opinion.

I am thinking of using this sunscreen: Mentolathum Sunplay SuperBlock SPF130 PA+++

I'd like to know if you think this provides good UVA and UVB protection. I was unable to find the percentage of zinc oxide in it... only the ingredients list. Not even the product has the percentages listed... but here are the ingredients. I'd like to know if you think it's a good sunscreen with good UVA protection:

Ingredients: Cyclotetrasiloxane, Zinc Oxide, Dimethicone, Isononyl Isononanoate, Ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, Water, Ethylhexyl salicylate, Titanium Dioxide, Aluminum hydroxide, Stearic Acid, Silica, Alcohol, Butylene Glycol, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Cyclomethicone, PEG-11 Methyl Ether Dimethicone, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, PEG/PPG-20/22 Butyl Ether Dimethicone, Aloe Barbadensis, Tocopheryl Acetate, Silk powder, Methylparaben.

I am currently using this sunscreen which contains the following active ingredients... which do you think would provide superior protection?

Hi Daniel,

Hello Eva,

Hi JB Forrester,

Hi Eva,

Thanks Eva =)

#108 Daniel Qamar

• 16 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

Hi Eva,

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I guess definitely stick to the latter-mentioned sunscreen...

=)

Hi Daniel,

The Mentolathum Sunplay SuperBlock SPF130 PA+++ sunscreen hopefully gives the stated SPF. If it is sold in the EU or US or Japan, they have to test the SPF according to Colipa or the Japanese standard. This sunscreen is either US or Asian.
If we assume that the OMC is at least 7.5% then the ZnO is def. higher since it is the second ingredients on the label. I would assume Zn is between 10-15%, maybe higher. I would also assume that OS is 5% and TiO2 is about the same.
This sunscreen will give a very high UVB protecton and a much weeker UVA protection, about 15-20, depending on the ZnO content. It is definitely NOT a balanced UV-protector.

The second sunscreen (which reminds me of Chanel UV-Essentiel) provides a more balanced protection, even though it is still a UV-biased sunscreen.

E.

Hi Daniel,

Hello Eva,

Hi JB Forrester,

Hi Eva,

Thanks Eva =)

#109 Daniel Qamar

• 16 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:27 AM

If anyone is interested... I just found this sunscreen:

http://www.supergoop...uct_detail&p=26

I have just purchased it online... so I'll try it out in about a week when it arrives. I have no idea how the texture will be. I'm imagining it'll be thick, white and pasty (let's hope not!).... but the ingredients seemed quite promising and a lot better than my current sunscreen. Check it out:

Active Ingredients »
Octinoxate (Sunscreen) 7.5%, Octocrylene (Sunscreen) 3%, Titanium Dioxide (Sunscreen) 3.3%, Zinc Oxide (Sunscreen) 20%
Inactive Ingredients:
Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Methyl Gluceth-20, Ethylenediamine/Hydrogenated Dimer Dilinoleate Copolymer Bis-Di-C14-18 Alkyl Amide, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Hydrogenated Polydecene, Phenoxyethanol, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Silica, Sodium Chloride, Xylitol, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Trisodium Ethylenediamine Disuccinate, Tocotrienols, Glycerin, Methylisothiazolinone, Punica Granatum Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Euterpe Oleracea Fruit, Extract, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Extract

I hope it's somewhat light!

Eva: can't wait for your sunscreen!

#110 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:17 AM

Summer coming up, although there's a snow blanket outside here right now. Either way reason for a good sunscreen, which i haven't found yet.
So I'll try a diy. I've got nano ZnO+TiO and looking for a good matte base. Oils - usually to shiny, water based - storage problems. Silicones?
Dimethicone's supposed to reduce whitening. Are there any premade lotions available? Where do you get yours, Eva?
Not wanting to splurge out on 10 different hydrocarbons and silicones, would a few suffice? Eg. Dimethicone (crosspolymer) + Isododecane?

#111 Daniel Qamar

• 16 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:05 AM

Hi Eva,

I must admit, I am a little embarrassed because I feel as though I am pestering you lol... sorry in advance.

But how's your new sunscreen going? Do you have anymore information about it or its release date? Or even an estimated release date? Really, really looking forward to this stuff!! Has it been tested and approved by the scientists?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks again Eva.

Daniel :-)

Hi Daniel,

E.

Hi Daniel,

Hello Eva,

Hi JB Forrester,

Hi Eva,

Thanks Eva =)

#112 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:06 PM

Summer coming up, although there's a snow blanket outside here right now. Either way reason for a good sunscreen, which i haven't found yet.
So I'll try a diy. I've got nano ZnO+TiO and looking for a good matte base. Oils - usually to shiny, water based - storage problems. Silicones?
Dimethicone's supposed to reduce whitening. Are there any premade lotions available? Where do you get yours, Eva?
Not wanting to splurge out on 10 different hydrocarbons and silicones, would a few suffice? Eg. Dimethicone (crosspolymer) + Isododecane?

There are many good silicone suppliers like Grant Inc., Momentive, Shin-Etsu. But you have to have a company to be able to have supplies from them.
Making your own sunscreen is a noble thought, although it might be more complicated than you might imagine. You will definitely need a homogenizer to be bale to make the dispersion of sunscreen filters (either organic or inorganic filters). This is the key for your sunscreen to function properly. Additionally you'll need film-formers. And knowledge of emulsions, emulsion-stability and sunscreens.
I would advise against pre-made bases since the incorporation of the sunscreens are crucial for its function.
You can prepare your sunscreen either Si/W (then you'll need a film-former) or W/Si (then the silicone will function as film-former as well).
If you use inorganic sunscreen agents (TiO2, ZnO), remember, the key is to make a good dispersion.

Good luck! :)

#113 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

Hi Daniel,

Thank you so much for your interest! :) Sorry for the late reply. (I am just back from holidays.)
The sunscreen has gone through lab tests (Colipa and PPD) that confirmed the SPF 50 and UVA 27. It is now ready to be sold in the EU. The registration with the FDA has to wait since sunscreens are classified as OTC drugs (while in the EU, they are cosmetics).

Production will start hopefully shortly, though I am still missing the packaging. I still have not found the right container with a nozzle.
But for the time being there is a new sunscreen from Paula's Choice (either already launched or will be very soon) that has ZnO and OMC and rated SPF 50. It is in an elegant very fluid silicone base (W/Si) with a matte and non-whitening finish.

Happy Easter, Daniel! :)

Hi Eva,

I must admit, I am a little embarrassed because I feel as though I am pestering you lol... sorry in advance.

But how's your new sunscreen going? Do you have anymore information about it or its release date? Or even an estimated release date? Really, really looking forward to this stuff!! Has it been tested and approved by the scientists?

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks again Eva.

Daniel :-)

Hi Daniel,

E.

Hi Daniel,

Hello Eva,

Hi JB Forrester,

Hi Eva,

Thanks Eva =)

#114 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:43 PM

I just read that sulforaphane reduces UV erythrema at people This also says that it actually keeps mice from getting cancer The niftiness there is i remember a blurb about sunscreen having an opportunity to be more cancer preventing. sulforaphane is a vegetable sourced material

Protection against UV-light-induced skin carcinogenesis in SKH-1 high-risk mice by sulforaphane-containing broccoli sprout extracts.

Dinkova-Kostova AT, Jenkins SN, Fahey JW, Ye L, Wehage SL, Liby KT, Stephenson KK, Wade KL, Talalay P.

Source

The Lewis B. and Dorothy Cullman Cancer Chemoprotection Center, Department of Pharmacology and Molecular Sciences, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, 725 N. Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA.

Abstract

Aerobic life, UV solar radiation, genetic susceptibility, and immune status contribute collectively to the development of human skin cancers. In addition to direct DNA damage, UV radiation promotes the generation of reactive oxygen intermediates that can cause oxidative damage and inflammation, and ultimately lead to tumor formation. Treatment of murine and human keratinocytes with the isothiocyanate sulforaphane elevated phase 2 enzymes and glutathione and protected against oxidant toxicity. Topical application of sulforaphane-containing broccoli sprouts extracts induced the phase 2 response in mouse skin in vivo. Sulforaphane inhibited cytokine-dependent (gamma-interferon or lipopolysaccharide) induction of iNOS in RAW 264.7 macrophages. The UV-radiation-induced skin carcinogenesis in "initiated high-risk mice" was substantially inhibited by broccoli sprout extracts containing sulforaphane. After completion of the UV irradiation schedule (30 mJ/cm(2)/session twice a week for 20 weeks), groups of approximately 30 mice were treated topically on their backs (5 days a week for 11 weeks) with broccoli sprout extract containing either the equivalent to 0.3 micromol (low dose) or 1.0 micromol (high dose) sulforaphane, respectively. At this time point, the tumor incidence had reached 100% in the control mice. Tumor burden, incidence, and multiplicity were reduced by 50% in the animals that received the high dose of protector. Tumor incidence and multiplicity did not differ between the low dose-treated and the control groups, but the low dose treatment resulted in a substantial reduction of the overall tumor burden. Thus, topical application of sulforaphane-containing broccoli sprout extracts is a promising strategy for protecting against skin tumor formation after exposure to UV radiation.
  • like x 1

#115 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:28 AM

The sunscreen has gone through lab tests (Colipa and PPD) that confirmed the SPF 50 and UVA 27.

Eva,

I have been looking for a sunscreen with a high UVA protection; yours perfectly fits my need!

#116 Vanity Fair

• 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

Hi Eva,

That is great news, about the progress you are making with the launch of your sunscreen!
I really hope you will make it available, not only in Norway but at least also to customers in Europe, at least via selling it on line. Please don't make me travel all the way to Norway to get some!

#117 Daniel Qamar

• 16 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:58 AM

Hi Eva,

You're probably pulling your hair from everyone constantly asking you this haha. So what's the latest with your sunscreen? Have you found the perfect packaging yet? Any news on possible release dates? Will you make your product available to international fans? :)

I'm so keen to use it and give you my review after a few days of use!

#118 spacey

• 241 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:32 PM

Will your sunscreen contain ZnO? If it does it would make it a bit difficult to sell here in Sweden, it's (unfortunately) illegal in cosmetics here :/ ..

#119 Laura.e

• 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:11 AM

Hi Eva,

You're probably pulling your hair from everyone constantly asking you this haha. So what's the latest with your sunscreen? Have you found the perfect packaging yet? Any news on possible release dates? Will you make your product available to international fans? :)

Me too! From Brisbane, Australia

#120 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

Sorry for the late reply. Have been extremely busy with work.

The sunscreen is going to be amazing, even if I say it myself.

It is coming along even though slowly. Packaging is not yet chosen.

It will definitely be available through the internet :)

Hi Eva,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users