* * * * - 5 votes

My NEW SUNSCREEN launched

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#61 eparaskeva

• 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

Hi there,
i live in Europe and just purchased one of Uriage's sunscreens with Tinosorb S and Tinosorb M. I read that for chemical sunscreens to work, one must wear them without any prior products on their skin otherwise penetration would be inhibited. Is that true? I have also bought micronized coated zinc oxide sunscreen from the U.S (20%). I put this on top of an antioxidant oil serum that i make (with raspberry oil since it has uv protection abilities) to inhibit the zinc from being absorbed since i am aware of the European study on the risks of micronized zinc oxide.
I would have loved to be able to use Uriage's sunscreen on a daily basis, but since chemical sunscreens need to be applied 30 minutes before going out, that's just not possible at all times. Plus, Uriage insists on using propylene glycol which although second to last on the list is still a worry to me. Are these concerns justified? Which is a better sunscreen? I can provide their ingredients if you'd like.
thanks so much for your time.

#62 eparaskeva

• 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

Sorry, forgot to address this post to eva viktoria.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

My answers are highlighted in blue.

Hi there,
Hi,
i live in Europe and just purchased one of Uriage's sunscreens with Tinosorb S and Tinosorb M. I read that for chemical sunscreens to work, one must wear them without any prior products on their skin otherwise penetration would be inhibited. Is that true?
No. But you should apply sunscreen on dry skin. Any products prior to sunscreen application should be fully absorbed before applying sunscreen. Besides sunscreens should form a film on the top of the skin where the actives (sunscreen filters) are ideally kept to prevent penetration of the skin hence minimize the risk of irritation and provide increased UV protection.

I have also bought micronized coated zinc oxide sunscreen from the U.S (20%). I put this on top of an antioxidant oil serum that i make (with raspberry oil since it has uv protection abilities) to inhibit the zinc from being absorbed since i am aware of the European study on the risks of micronized zinc oxide.

There is no conclusive proof of any absorption of ZnO in micronized form. The concern is about the nano-size ZnO.
ZnO containing sunscreen should be applied on top of any organic sunscreen (if you wish to use several products).

I would have loved to be able to use Uriage's sunscreen on a daily basis, but since chemical sunscreens need to be applied 30 minutes before going out, that's just not possible at all times. Plus, Uriage insists on using propylene glycol which although second to last on the list is still a worry to me. Are these concerns justified?

PG in this case is used in one of the actives as a solubilizer. PG (in higher amount) will also contribute to preserve the product hence less preservatives will be needed. PG is also a solvent and penetration enhancer for actives. But then again in this case the amount is too low to enhance the penetration of organic sunscreen filters (which is a good thing in this case).

Which is a better sunscreen? I can provide their ingredients if you'd like.

ZnO is always milder than organic sunscreens. But it is difficult to choose from these two sunscreens without having their ingredients list.
thanks so much for your time.

#64 eparaskeva

• 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

Thank you so much, really helpful information. This is the ingredient list for both sunscreens:
Uriage spf 50+
Water, dicaprylyl carbonate, uriage thermal spring water, methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbytylphenol, octocrylene, ethylhexyl triazone, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, cyclopentasiloxane, tricontanyl pvp, glycerin, cyclohexasiloxane, hydrogenated polydecene, butylene glycol, decyl glucoside, c20-22 alkyl phosphate, c20-22 alcohols, glycose, chlorphenesin, xanthan gum, benzoic acid, tetrasodium edta, o-cymen-5-ol, tocopheryl acetate, trehalose, propylene glycol, citric acid, sodium hydroxide, polyquaternium-51, ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate.

eco all natural sunscreen lotion spf 30+ face:
zince oxide 20% (micronized, coated)
Purified water, isoamyl laurate, capric/caprylic triglyceride, sorbitan stearate, sucrose cocoate, caprylyl glycol cetearyl alcohol, cetearyl glycoside, hydroxypropyl starch phosphate, polyhydroxystearic acid, xanthan gum, cucumber seed extract, rosehip seed oil, green tea extract

#65 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

Both sunscreens look great! Although the one from Uriage will provide greater UVB protection. The Eco sunscreen will provide lover SPF but close to equal protection against UVB and UVA rays. It is a more ideal-aproach to protect the skin against UVR. But I think you should go for the one that you like the most. Either way, you will get good protection.

Thank you so much, really helpful information. This is the ingredient list for both sunscreens:
Uriage spf 50+
Water, dicaprylyl carbonate, uriage thermal spring water, methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbytylphenol, octocrylene, ethylhexyl triazone, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, cyclopentasiloxane, tricontanyl pvp, glycerin, cyclohexasiloxane, hydrogenated polydecene, butylene glycol, decyl glucoside, c20-22 alkyl phosphate, c20-22 alcohols, glycose, chlorphenesin, xanthan gum, benzoic acid, tetrasodium edta, o-cymen-5-ol, tocopheryl acetate, trehalose, propylene glycol, citric acid, sodium hydroxide, polyquaternium-51, ascorbyl tetraisopalmitate.

eco all natural sunscreen lotion spf 30+ face:
zince oxide 20% (micronized, coated)
Purified water, isoamyl laurate, capric/caprylic triglyceride, sorbitan stearate, sucrose cocoate, caprylyl glycol cetearyl alcohol, cetearyl glycoside, hydroxypropyl starch phosphate, polyhydroxystearic acid, xanthan gum, cucumber seed extract, rosehip seed oil, green tea extract

#66 eparaskeva

• 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

thank you.
What do you think about sunscreens that attempt to tackle infrared? Lancaster is one of the first. I looked at the ingredient list at the pharmacy, but nothing jumped out other than the fact that they had mineral oil (?) as one of the top ingredients (are we to assume the insulation it provides will protect the skin from heat?) and that it has bitter orange essential oil in it (which is phototoxic and don't understand why it's included).

#67 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:44 PM

thank you.
What do you think about sunscreens that attempt to tackle infrared? Lancaster is one of the first. I looked at the ingredient list at the pharmacy, but nothing jumped out other than the fact that they had mineral oil (?) as one of the top ingredients (are we to assume the insulation it provides will protect the skin from heat?) and that it has bitter orange essential oil in it (which is phototoxic and don't understand why it's included).

Mineral Oil certainly will not protect the skin against IR :) It is an excellent emollient creating an occlusive layer on the surface of the skin. Which, in this case, can be a real drawback! (Because in the heat that the IRs will provide the skin will not be able to regulate its temperature.)
And you are also right about the bitter orange essential oil. (Lancaster has never appeared to me as a company that had serious research either.)
Higher particle size mineral screens will provide a somewhat protection against IR but these sunscreens will be very whitening and mask-like even coloured. There might be other ways to tackle damage from IR. Heat generates oxidants, even though the amount is less than in the presence of UVA. Anti-oxidants can be of help, although nobody really knows how much the damage is from IR and how much anti-oxidants can actually stabilize unstable electrons. Even if a product fully packed with stable anti-oxidants, and packed in an airless packaging, it is very unlikely that the anti-oxidants in the product will not be used up within 6 hours. But again, it will mean 6 hours less without anti-oxidant protection.
There are some natural extracts (mainly of marine origin) that will provide higher free-radical scavenging activity the higher the temperature is. Like Thermus Thermophilus Ferment is a good example. Other marine extracts can protect stem-cells, like Laminaria Digitata Extract. Other marine extracts are excellent protectors against UVA radiation like Porphyra Umbilicalis (Red Algae) Extract. Other UV protectors are Ascophyllum Nodosum (Algae) Extract and Asparagopsis Armata (Red Algae) Extract.
Other noteworthy recycleable anti-oxidants (meaning that they are not used up by free-radicals but are able to renew themselves, though none is capable doing so infinitely, the longest is about 6h) are Ethylbisiminomethylguaiacol Manganese Chloride, Ergothioneine, Q-10, Vitamin C and Vitamin E together. Of course the combination of several anti-oxidants will provide a stronger shield than one alone would be able to do so. Some good and modern anti-oxidants to look for in a formulation are Grape Seed Extract (Vitis Vinifera), Green Tea (Camelia Sinesis), Millet Seed Extract, Artemia Extract, Grapefruit Peel Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract.
As a researcher has put it at In-Cosmetics 2012: " All plants have anti-oxidant protection, otherwise they could not survive!"

#68 eparaskeva

• 7 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

Thank you so much, this is awesome information!!
I'm currently using sea kelp(Lactobacillus/kelp ferment filtrate, Porphyridium extract, Laminaria japonica extract, Arthrospira extract) as a base for a serum, but don't know if it offers the same protection as thermus thermophilus and laminaria digitata. Also, with regards to vitamin c, i use it at night because of its collagen building abilities, but since it inhibits melanogenesis, doesn't it make the skin more vulnerable to uv radiation, especially if used during the day?

#69 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

Thank you so much, this is awesome information!!
I'm currently using sea kelp(Lactobacillus/kelp ferment filtrate, Porphyridium extract, Laminaria japonica extract, Arthrospira extract) as a base for a serum, but don't know if it offers the same protection as thermus thermophilus and laminaria digitata. Also, with regards to vitamin c, i use it at night because of its collagen building abilities, but since it inhibits melanogenesis, doesn't it make the skin more vulnerable to uv radiation, especially if used during the day?

Vitamin C is an excellent anti-oxidant (esp. when used together with Vitamin E). You need not worry about making the skin more volnurable to UV damage because you should always wear a broad spectrum photo-stable sunscreen. :)

The composition of your sea kelp seems to be a very good humectant and nourishment for your skin! :)

#70 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:33 AM

Eva Victoria,

I'm confused, have your sunscreens ever been commercially available up to now?

Can you recommend some good sunscreens available to Americans that have 15 to 30 spf, are not greasy or oily or waterproof, and have no fragrance. It would be good if they were more affordable.

#71 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

I did sell my first commercially available sunscreen in 2008 as a test for researching the market. It did so well that the 100 items were off the shelves in two weeks. That sunscreen was based on the Tinosorb filters.
The sunscreens (2) I am working on are ZnO and OMC based. One is W/Si fluid, the other one is Si/W extremely light lotion/gel.

To recommend a sunscreen available in the US is not that easy I have to admit. I do not know all the products available. But the few I know and I personally like would be MDFormulation Total Protector SPF 30 (7.9% ZnO, 7.5% OMC, 4% OS). It might not be the greatest of them all but it is an extremely light sunscreen with a very natural finish. No whitening. Fragrance free. Could contain more anti-oxidants though. (It's about $ 22 for 75 ml). Packaging: tube. It is definitely non-greasy but somewhat waterproof.
The other one I really like is MAC Studio Moisture SPF 15 (6.9% ZnO, 3.5% OMC). Fantastic consistency, very good anti-oxidants. The only drawback is that it is lightly fragranced. (It's about $ 30 for 50 ml). Packaging: pump. It is definitely non-greasy nor waterproof.
The third one is actually Clinique Even Better Hand Creme SPF 15 (3% AVO, 5% HS, 5% OS). It is marketed for the hands but it does contain some very good anti-oxidants in a white fragrance-free emulsion that is hydrating enough for normal skin and has a very natural finish on the face (it is far too light as a hand creme though!). (It's about $ 35 for 75 ml). Packaging: tube. It is definitely non-greasy nor waterproof.

#72 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:59 AM

Thanks.
  • dislike x 1

#73 eparaskeva

• 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

If i may, why did you stop making the sunscreen with Tinosorb M and S? Since you're not bound by US standards, couldn't you formulate something with those AND zinc oxide all in the same formula and sell it online?
Also, one more question since you said that it's ok to wear chemical sunscreens on top of moisturizers etc. I read a few articles suggesting the opposite, i.e, chemical sunscreens need to be able to be absorbed by the skin in order to function properly. Could they be talking about the chemical sunscreens used in the US and not Tinosorb and the other european ones?
thanks

#74 lesstime

• 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 03:11 AM

This might have been asked before but will UVA absorption for vitamin D be greatly reduced?

#75 eparaskeva

• 7 posts

Posted 01 July 2012 - 12:32 PM

Hi lesstime,
you don't need to be in the sun for long for sufficient vitamin D to be synthesized, just 10 minutes a day (cumulative). Even if say your legs are exposed that's enough.

Eva,
your comments on protecting the skin from uv damage led me to research a few products that use extremolytes and marine extracts. What's your opinion of the following? What's the best one in terms of protection from uv damage and repair??

Isomers age immunity stress defense formula
Aqua/Water/Eau, Plankton Extract, Lecithin, Glyceryl Glucoside, Pichia/Resveratrol Ferment Extract, Ectoin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Tetrahydroxypropyl Ethylenediamine, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Tropolone

Isomers mineral mist
Aqua/Water/Eau, Sodium Hyaluronate, Thermus Thermophilus Ferment, Ectoin, Opuntia Streptacantha Stem Extract, Boerhavia Diffusa Extract, Saccharomyces/Silicon Ferment, Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Saccharomyces/Iron Ferment, Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Tropolone

Isomers Desert Youth with Ectoin (i'm assuming this one has the highest amount of ectoin):
Aqua/Water/Eau, Ectoin, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Cetyl Palmitate, Sorbitan Palmitate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Panthenol, Phenoxyethanol, Tropolone.

Vita Cure cel renewal serum:
Water/Aqua/ Eau, Glycerin, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Thermus Thermophyllus Ferment, Sodium Hyaluronate, Laminaria Digitata Extract. Hypericum Perforatum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seed Extract, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Butylene Glycol, Lecithin, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Xanthan Gum.

Sea cell serum (don't know if the list is in the right order): organic barley grass tea (Hordeum vulgare)
• seaweed extract of:
bladderwrack (Fucus vesiculosus)
dulse (Palmaria palmata)
nori (Porphyra umbilicalis)
kombu (Laminaria digitata)
kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum)
wakame (Alaria esculenta)
sea lettuce (Ulva lactuca)
• organic aloe vera leaf juice (Aloe barbadensis)
• organic sesame oil (Sesamum indicum)
• organic extra virgin olive oil (Olea europaea)
• organic tincture of:
rosehip (Rosa canina)
red clover (Trifolium pratense)
chickweed (Stellaria media)
dandelion root (Taraxacum officinale)
nettle leaf (Urtica dioica)
• organic soy lecithin (Lecithin)
• organic extract of:
parsley (Petroselinum crispum)
kale (Brassica oleracea)
yerba mansa (Anemopsis californica)
• organic essential oil blend of:
rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
guaiacwood (Bulnesia sarmienti)
hops (Humulus lupulus)
lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
• honeysuckle flower CO2 (Lonicera japonica)
• organic marigold / turmeric blend
• organic olive leaf preservative
• natural vitamin E (non-GMO) (Tocopherol)
• organic rice bran (Oryza sativa)
• vegetable glycerin (Glycerin)
• organic guar gum (Cyamopsis tetragonolobus)
• organic arabic gum (Acacia senegal/seyal)
• rosemary leaf extract (Rosmarinus officina

#76 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:02 PM

If i may, why did you stop making the sunscreen with Tinosorb M and S? Since you're not bound by US standards, couldn't you formulate something with those AND zinc oxide all in the same formula and sell it online?
Also, one more question since you said that it's ok to wear chemical sunscreens on top of moisturizers etc. I read a few articles suggesting the opposite, i.e, chemical sunscreens need to be able to be absorbed by the skin in order to function properly. Could they be talking about the chemical sunscreens used in the US and not Tinosorb and the other european ones?
thanks

It was a pilot project. That time I was focusing on the consulting side now more on the practice :)
It was never sold online.
You can apply any sunscreen (regardless of organic, inorganic, US/EU etc.) as long as the other products applied previously are fully absorbed. The skin has to be dry. Of course the easiest is to apply a moisturizer formulated with broad spectrum sunscreen.

#77 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

This might have been asked before but will UVA absorption for vitamin D be greatly reduced?

To form Vitamin D one needs UVB (290-320nm).

#78 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Hi lesstime,
you don't need to be in the sun for long for sufficient vitamin D to be synthesized, just 10 minutes a day (cumulative). Even if say your legs are exposed that's enough.

Eva,
your comments on protecting the skin from uv damage led me to research a few products that use extremolytes and marine extracts. What's your opinion of the following? What's the best one in terms of protection from uv damage and repair??

Isomers age immunity stress defense formula
Aqua/Water/Eau, Plankton Extract, Lecithin, Glyceryl Glucoside, Pichia/Resveratrol Ferment Extract, Ectoin, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Tetrahydroxypropyl Ethylenediamine, Carbomer, Phenoxyethanol, Tropolone

Isomers mineral mist
Aqua/Water/Eau, Sodium Hyaluronate, Thermus Thermophilus Ferment, Ectoin, Opuntia Streptacantha Stem Extract, Boerhavia Diffusa Extract, Saccharomyces/Silicon Ferment, Saccharomyces/Magnesium Ferment, Saccharomyces/Copper Ferment, Saccharomyces/Iron Ferment, Saccharomyces/Zinc Ferment, Glycerin, Phenoxyethanol, Tropolone

Isomers Desert Youth with Ectoin (i'm assuming this one has the highest amount of ectoin):
Aqua/Water/Eau, Ectoin, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Cetyl Palmitate, Sorbitan Palmitate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Panthenol, Phenoxyethanol, Tropolone.

Vita Cure cel renewal serum:
Water/Aqua/ Eau, Glycerin, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Thermus Thermophyllus Ferment, Sodium Hyaluronate, Laminaria Digitata Extract. Hypericum Perforatum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Aesculus Hippocastanum (Horse Chestnut) Seed Extract, Trifolium Pratense (Clover) Flower Extract, Butylene Glycol, Lecithin, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Xanthan Gum.

Sea cell serum (don't know if the list is in the right order): organic barley grass tea (Hordeum vulgare)
• seaweed extract of:
bladderwrack (Fucus vesiculosus)
dulse (Palmaria palmata)
nori (Porphyra umbilicalis)
kombu (Laminaria digitata)
kelp (Ascophyllum nodosum)
wakame (Alaria esculenta)
sea lettuce (Ulva lactuca)
• organic aloe vera leaf juice (Aloe barbadensis)
• organic sesame oil (Sesamum indicum)
• organic extra virgin olive oil (Olea europaea)
• organic tincture of:
rosehip (Rosa canina)
red clover (Trifolium pratense)
chickweed (Stellaria media)
dandelion root (Taraxacum officinale)
nettle leaf (Urtica dioica)
• organic soy lecithin (Lecithin)
• organic extract of:
parsley (Petroselinum crispum)
kale (Brassica oleracea)
yerba mansa (Anemopsis californica)
• organic essential oil blend of:
rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
guaiacwood (Bulnesia sarmienti)
hops (Humulus lupulus)
lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
• honeysuckle flower CO2 (Lonicera japonica)
• organic marigold / turmeric blend
• organic olive leaf preservative
• natural vitamin E (non-GMO) (Tocopherol)
• organic rice bran (Oryza sativa)
• vegetable glycerin (Glycerin)
• organic guar gum (Cyamopsis tetragonolobus)
• organic arabic gum (Acacia senegal/seyal)
• rosemary leaf extract (Rosmarinus officina

Difficult to say. All these products look great (exception of last one. Too much Hops and like that are potential irritants for the skin) but it is impossible to say how they feel on the skin without trying them. And without the actual percentage of actives used it is very difficult to say anything about performance.
Thermus Thermophilus Ferment, Ectoin are well known performers. The blend of fermented minerals is a very good active, but again it all depends on the amount used.

#79 12blueocean

• 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:06 AM

Hi Eva,

I have been trying to find a sunscreen that has has a high spf, high ppd, zinc oxide, tinosorb s and tinosorb m, does not contain parabens and is not tested on animals. To no avail. Can you recommend any?

Thanks

#80 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

Hi Eva,

I have been trying to find a sunscreen that has has a high spf, high ppd, zinc oxide, tinosorb s and tinosorb m, does not contain parabens and is not tested on animals. To no avail. Can you recommend any?

Thanks

Hi Blue Ocean,

That is a tough one! I would believe that a sunscreen like this exists in the Asian market. But I do not know who produce it. Sorry.
The sunscreen Gel from Allie has ZnO, OMc and Uvinul A.

#81 Daniel Qamar

• 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:37 AM

Hi Eva,

Hope you're well.

Are there any progress updates with regards to the sunscreen that you were planning on releasing? Or maybe even an approximate month of when you expect to have the sunscreen ready for sale?

Anxiously waiting! Haha :)

#82 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

Hi Eva,

Hope you're well.

Are there any progress updates with regards to the sunscreen that you were planning on releasing? Or maybe even an approximate month of when you expect to have the sunscreen ready for sale?

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for asking :)

I actually reformulated it while working on a lighter variant. This newer version is a light-weight fluid (runny) that sets into an extremely elegant, very light finish which is almost invisible to the eyes even at concentration of 19% ZnO. After giving it to the test panel for testing, the response is very positive even from the people who usually did not like to use sunscreen. For emphasis, it is a daily-wear sunscreen. Not a beach product.
At the moment I am in negotiation with some contact-manufacturers to produce it and then it can finally be available for the public.
Am very unsure how fast it can go. Am still awaiting the packaging alternatives that I have requested a while ago though.

I will let you know when I know a more precise date.
Hope you are well also.

Kindest regards,
Eva

#83 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

Well,

What if we don't call it sunscreen here in the USA?

Would it be sellable in the USA?

A

Circle me on Google+
https://profiles.goo...236572014252197

#84 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

Well,

What if we don't call it sunscreen here in the USA?

Would it be sellable in the USA?

A

Circle me on Google+
https://profiles.goo...236572014252197

Definitely. It has only FDA approved sunscreen filters (19% ZnO and 7.5% OMC). All other ingredients are approved for use in cosmetics in the EU, US, JP, AU as well. (The sunscreens are also approved in AU and JP additionally. OMC is globally approved, ZnO is not approved as a sunscreen agent in the EU though.)
Anyway, what would be the point of developing a sunscreen product that cannot be sold as a sunscreen? :)

#85 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:48 PM

The cream can be marketed for environmental protection, skin sheen, possibly other things. Most importantly we can state on our website that its the same formulation ... so people can research your website... and know the additional benefits you talk about to folks in your part of the world.

When you have a batch ready, I would like to resell it in the USA if you are interested.

We would probably need to talk about the proper labeling with my lawyer that keeps us above board with the US cosmetic and dietary laws... but i think its doable.

Cheers
A

Circle me: https://profiles.goo...236572014252197

#86 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

The cream can be marketed for environmental protection, skin sheen, possibly other things. Most importantly we can state on our website that its the same formulation ... so people can research your website... and know the additional benefits you talk about to folks in your part of the world.

When you have a batch ready, I would like to resell it in the USA if you are interested.

We would probably need to talk about the proper labeling with my lawyer that keeps us above board with the US cosmetic and dietary laws... but i think its doable.

Cheers
A

Circle me: https://profiles.goo...236572014252197

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for contacting me! I have sent you a private post on Google+.
Kindest regards,
Eva

#87 Daniel Qamar

• 16 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:53 AM

Hi Eva,

Hope you're well.

Hi Daniel,

I actually reformulated it while working on a lighter variant. This newer version is a light-weight fluid (runny) that sets into an extremely elegant, very light finish which is almost invisible to the eyes even at concentration of 19% ZnO. After giving it to the test panel for testing, the response is very positive even from the people who usually did not like to use sunscreen. For emphasis, it is a daily-wear sunscreen. Not a beach product.
At the moment I am in negotiation with some contact-manufacturers to produce it and then it can finally be available for the public.
Am very unsure how fast it can go. Am still awaiting the packaging alternatives that I have requested a while ago though.

Hope you are well also.

Kindest regards,
Eva

Hi Eva,

Not problem :)

You're sunscreen sounds amazing... such a high concentration of ZnO yet almost invisible to the eye... I'll definitely be buying at least 10 tubes of this stuff!!

Thanks for the detailed update. I'm really looking forward to the finished product.

In the meantime, I'd been doing some research for the perfect sunscreen (the quest never seems to end). If you have a moment, could I please get your opinion/knowledge on the below sunscreen based on the ingredients... it would be used for daily-wear only:

G.M. COLLIN - Sun High Protection Cream SPF 30

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 15%, Titanium Dioxide 4.8%

Other Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Polysilicone-11, Cyclohexasiloxane, Isohexadecane, Triethylhexanoin, Aluminium Stearate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Alumina, Water/Eau, Glycerin, Polyester-5, Capryl Methicone, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone/Divinyldimethicone/Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Copernica Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Ethylhexylglcerin, Tris (tetramethydroxypiperidinol) citrate, Chlorphenesin, Fragrance/Parfum, Cassia Alata Leaf Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Citrus Medica Limonium (Lemon) Extract, Fumaria Officinals Extract, Fumaric Acid, Potassium Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Phosphate (Vitamin C, Vitanmin E)

I am currently using Chanel UV ESSENTIEL SPF 50 (multi-protection daily uv care) SPF50+ :

Octinoxate 7.5%
Titanium Dioxide 2%
Zinc Oxide 17.1%

But was unsure as to which sunscreen would be more superior.

Thanks Eva :-)

#88 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

Anyone here knowledgeable as to what's the verdict on sugar, it's widely used in sunscreens as emulsifier.

#89 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hi Eva,

Hope you're well.

Hi Daniel,

Hope you are well also.

Kindest regards,
Eva

Hi Eva,

Not problem :)

You're sunscreen sounds amazing... such a high concentration of ZnO yet almost invisible to the eye... I'll definitely be buying at least 10 tubes of this stuff!!

Thanks for the detailed update. I'm really looking forward to the finished product.

In the meantime, I'd been doing some research for the perfect sunscreen (the quest never seems to end). If you have a moment, could I please get your opinion/knowledge on the below sunscreen based on the ingredients... it would be used for daily-wear only:

G.M. COLLIN - Sun High Protection Cream SPF 30

Active Ingredients: Zinc Oxide 15%, Titanium Dioxide 4.8%

Other Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Peg-10 Dimethicone, Polysilicone-11, Cyclohexasiloxane, Isohexadecane, Triethylhexanoin, Aluminium Stearate, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Alumina, Water/Eau, Glycerin, Polyester-5, Capryl Methicone, Cetyl Peg/Ppg-10/1 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Dimethicone/Divinyldimethicone/Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Copernica Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Ethylhexylglcerin, Tris (tetramethydroxypiperidinol) citrate, Chlorphenesin, Fragrance/Parfum, Cassia Alata Leaf Extract, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Citrus Medica Limonium (Lemon) Extract, Fumaria Officinals Extract, Fumaric Acid, Potassium Ascorbyl Tocopheryl Phosphate (Vitamin C, Vitanmin E)

I am currently using Chanel UV ESSENTIEL SPF 50 (multi-protection daily uv care) SPF50+ :

Octinoxate 7.5%
Titanium Dioxide 2%
Zinc Oxide 17.1%

But was unsure as to which sunscreen would be more superior.

Thanks Eva :-)

Hi Daniel,

The one from Chanel is a UVB biased sunscreen, though 17% ZnO provides high UVA protection.
G.M. COLLIN - Sun High Protection Cream SPF 30 will have a more balanced UVB and UVA protection. I have the feeling from the ingredients list that it is also a fluid sunscreen. Isohexadecane and Triethylhexanoin are excellent emollients but might provide too much oily residue throughout the day. This depends, of course, on the amount of these oils used.
I do understand your (never-ending) quest for the perfect sunscreen. It is really difficult to find the perfect sunscreen. (Also because perfect means different for every one of us.)
In my opinion most sunscreens (and moisturizers) loaded with too much oil that will turn into a mess in the course of the day.

Hope my answer could be of help.
Eva

#90 Eva Victoria

• Topic Starter
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

Anyone here knowledgeable as to what's the verdict on sugar, it's widely used in sunscreens as emulsifier.

It is also a humectant and also used in other products like moisturizers. Since it cannot cross the Basal Cell layer it will not be able to start the glycation process (that is in the Dermis).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users