• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:17 PM

http
://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/21/sports/o...mp;oref=slogin

She looks pretty impressive for a 51-year old woman especially since she started going to the gym only 4 years ago!

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 02:47 PM

She looks like she's used some good drugs.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

She states that she's clean.A question to those with more experience,is it possible to build such a body at that age in just 4 years without using any drugs?

#4 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 18 May 2008 - 07:14 PM

She states that she's clean.A question to those with more experience,is it possible to build such a body at that age in just 4 years without using any drugs?

People say a lot of things. Most women will never reach such a body over any length of time...without some androgenic assistance.

#5 Shoe

• Guest, F@H
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 02:19 AM

A question to those with more experience,is it possible to build such a body at that age in just 4 years without using any drugs?

Hardly. And considering the fact that she seems to hang out with a couple of pro bodybuilders makes it even less likely that she's clean. All pro's are walking chemical containers, and most of them don't even deny it.

#6 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:32 AM

Lol, yep, there is no way in hell as a female she got like that without drugs unless she has some bizarre hormonal disorder, I'm thinking an androgen secreting tumor on one or both of her adrenals, and a GH secreting tumor in her pituitary and some sort of RAA system problem that makes her body retain very little water and throw in some hyperthyroidism just in time for pre-contest... In other words DRUGS

Now I do think that a male bodybuilder with some decent genes and an excellent diet and training regimen can get results like that (ie look like that women, not like some of the so called "natural" male bodybuilders) but women were just not programmed to respond like that to exercise, if they were the species would have died out a long time ago.

Edited by edward, 19 May 2008 - 03:35 AM.

#7 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

Lol, yep, there is no way in hell as a female she got like that without drugs unless she has some bizarre hormonal disorder, I'm thinking an androgen secreting tumor on one or both of her adrenals, and a GH secreting tumor in her pituitary and some sort of RAA system problem that makes her body retain very little water and throw in some hyperthyroidism just in time for pre-contest... In other words DRUGS

Now I do think that a male bodybuilder with some decent genes and an excellent diet and training regimen can get results like that (ie look like that women, not like some of the so called "natural" male bodybuilders) but women were just not programmed to respond like that to exercise, if they were the species would have died out a long time ago.

Anyway the result is great,She competes and wins over the 25-30 years old women!!

#8 Chiggy

• 47 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:14 AM

Yes impressive, but women simply can't get their bodyfat levels low enough or muscle mass high enough to look like that without androgenic help.

Unless she used to be a man.....:~

http
://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/21/sports/o...mp;oref=slogin

She looks pretty impressive for a 51-year old woman especially since she started going to the gym only 4 years ago!

Edited by Chiggy, 12 June 2008 - 12:15 AM.

#9 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:27 AM

I'm no bodybuilding expert so I can't know. She repeatedly vehemently denies using anything illegal in swedish media,she says the secret to her success is porridge and vegetables........

#10 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:48 AM

she says the secret to her success is porridge and vegetables.

Yes but someone changed the label from Deca Durabolin to Uncle Tobys. So she thinks she's eating porridge when she's really downing anabolic steroids.

#11 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 01:35 AM

if she isn't on steroids she has an androgen secreting tumor.

#12 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 07:08 AM

Could she have done it in the space of 4 years (she started at age 47) without illegal prescription drugs (e.g., steroids)?

From the picture, I'd say "maybe". She really doesn't have massive muscles, even for a woman. The veins are only necessarily indicative of very low body fat and extreme levels of exercise. Take away the tan, the veins, and add ten or 15 pounds of evenly distributed body fat, and she'd just look very fit.

Four years is sufficient time to build an extremely impressive physique. This will also vary depending on genetics--some women will develop lean muscle mass much more quickly than others. Few women attempt to develop a significant amount of lean msucle mass, and those that do tend to be viewed negatively by other women and even men.

But could she have accomplished this starting at age 47? Again, maybe. It's possible to accomplish more fitness-wise through the end of "middle age" than many people realize. There have been studies showing that optimally conditioned professional athletes lose only 1% or less of their strength / endurance up through at least age 40, assuming they stay injury free. Another recently completed study examined a group of men aged 50, and compared their Vo2 max scores at age 20 (taken 30 years before by one or more of the authors of the study) against their VO2 max score (after 6 months intense training conducted under the supervision of the authors of the study) at age 50; interestingly, most of the study participants were able to at least equal their Vo2 max score of 30 years prior, including persons who had been members of collegiate sports teams (and who had been quite fit at age 20). As far as bodybuilding goes, many enthusiastic drug-free weight training amateurs maintain an impressive physique into their 50's (although the rate of muscle wasting progresses as we age, at age 50 it seems some people still can mantain a physique not far off what they could have achieved at age 25) .

Chiggy: You are simply wrong about a woman's ability to achieve (dangerously) low levels of body fat (anything below 10-12% for women falls below minimal "essential body fat") through diet and exercise alone. This doesn't mean it's a healthy thing to do so.

(FYI, there are perfectly legal natural substances that, if taken in extreme amounts, can result in very significant gains in lean muscle mass (and/or loss of body fat), although doing so may be risky. One study done over a decade ago with DHEA (a supplement which many members of these forums take) found that mega doses (at levels definitely dangerous for humans, and probably toxic; don't do this) given to rats increased their lean muscle mass by more than 31% in one month, with a corresponding drop in body fat.)

Edited by TianZi, 24 June 2008 - 08:06 AM.

#13 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

One more thing: she apparently was tested for use of illegal drugs including steroids at every event in which she competed, and passed with flying colors, so if true that's strong evidence she in fact doesn't use such substances.

#14 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:48 AM

One more thing: she apparently was tested for use of illegal drugs including steroids at every event in which she competed, and passed with flying colors, so if true that's strong evidence she in fact doesn't use such substances.

Sooo all the bodybuilders at contests who pass the drugs tests don't use steroids? Ooooor perhaps they switch they're pre-contest cycles to steroids which have a shorter half life, or use masking agents. If you know how drugs tests work then it's no rocket science to manipulate them.

There's a pretty small number of steroid "out"ings these days given their wide spread use and it's generally when people get greedy or sloppy.

#15 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:03 AM

Sooo all the bodybuilders at contests who pass the drugs tests don't use steroids? Ooooor perhaps they switch they're pre-contest cycles to steroids which have a shorter half life, or use masking agents. If you know how drugs tests work then it's no rocket science to manipulate them.

There's a pretty small number of steroid "out"ings these days given their wide spread use and it's generally when people get greedy or sloppy.

Sentinel,

Steroid testing accuracy has advanced considerably over the decades since such tests started to be used. Now, when testing for steroids we can check to the nanogram range, many orders of magnitude greater than previously possible (this gradual improvement over the years in testing accuracy is why Ben Johnson was finally caught). For some time, any steroid use within 6 months of a competition could be fairly reliably detected. This caused steroid users to stop steroid use no later than 6 months prior to competition, but that in turn required them to supplement testosterone in order to maintain muscle mass, and because their body's natural production of testosterone is stunted by use of steroids. In this regard, we can now detect use of steroids prior to 6 months before a competition through testosterone testing ratio (e.g., testosterone to epitestosterone ratio).

It's absurd for people to claim that this woman, who evidently has successfully passed many tests showing she does not use steroids, *must* nonetheless be a steroid user because in their own personal opinion, based on nothing scientific, no woman could achieve such results "naturally". Perhaps she did, perhaps she didn't--it's baseless, useless speculation, and unfair to the woman in question; it also probably constitutes libel since the allegations are an attack on her "professional character or standing" and cannot be proved.

Edited by TianZi, 24 June 2008 - 09:23 AM.

#16 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:34 AM

Ok so she stopped 6 months before she knew she was going to compete.

#17 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:19 PM

I never cease to be amazed. I still believe that the girlfriend was an angel before she met me, the 49ers will once again return in glorious domination, and my dog hasn't just spent 30 minutes pleasuring himself when he wakes me up with some nasty licking. It's not worth debating whether or not this woman has used steroids. It's painfully obvious for some, and maybe not so much for others.

Edited by shepard, 24 June 2008 - 12:24 PM.

#18 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

It's not worth debating whether or not this woman has used steroids. It's painfully obvious for some, and maybe not so much for others.

QFT.
TianZi do you really think the use of testosteron water suspensions 6 months prior to a contest can be detected? Do you really believe them that they do test only because someone said they do? Did you know, by the way, that most pro bodybuilders are absolutely clean, well apart from creatine and other supplements, because it is what they say? Sure they would not lie..
Do you know the hormonal make-up of women and their natural testosterone levels? Intrinsic aging won't help that 50+ women either.

#19 Shoe

• Guest, F@H
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:46 PM

When you look at her homepage you see that she's been competing in a federation that isn't directly known for having a very rigid drug testing policy. Recently one of the federation's most well-known employees got caught by the police for distributing drugs himself. In fact, I think it was one of the biggest "steroid busts" in Sweden ever. In other words, I doubt she's telling the truth.

Edited by Shoe, 24 June 2008 - 12:47 PM.

#20 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

I think she is clean,she is far to open-hearted about herself to have done it. Usually people who have been caught using steroids have not actively denied it that much.

She's really inspirating that you can win contests against 25-year olds aged 52! I wonder how she will get as she gets older. She has mentioned that she will continue exercising until she dies.... She looks younger than her age as well,more like about 35-40 or so.......

#21 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:01 PM

I think she is clean,she is far to open-hearted about herself to have done it. Usually people who have been caught using steroids have not actively denied it that much.

People that use steroids aren't evil-hearted deviants. They just realize what they have to do to compete. When all the competition is on drugs, you better find some too.

And, steroid users won't repeatedly deny it? Where have you been the past few years?

Edited by shepard, 24 June 2008 - 05:03 PM.

#22 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

People that use steroids aren't evil-hearted deviants. They just realize what they have to do to compete. When all the competition is on drugs, you better find some too.

And, steroid users won't repeatedly deny it? Where have you been the past few years?

Holding back Shepard "Leave it mate, their not worth it!"

#23 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:58 PM

She maintains a really healthy diet anyhow.Does anyone know of any 50+ bodybuilder who competes and wins over the 25-year olds in the same class?? I suspect she is fairly unique regarding that.Genetics may also be a important factor

#24 Shoe

• Guest, F@H
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:10 PM

She's really inspirating that you can win contests against 25-year olds aged 52! I wonder how she will get as she gets older. She has mentioned that she will continue exercising until she dies.... She looks younger than her age as well,more like about 35-40 or so.......

I personally knew a steroid user (he got caught and confessed to using) and I thought that it was very much possible he was clean. Hell, we could even talk about steorids without him looking uncomfortable at all.

Edited by Shoe, 24 June 2008 - 06:11 PM.

#25 spacetime

• 191 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:23 AM

I wonder if postmenopausal women can achieve lower bodyfat percetnages due to the lack of estrogen or at least greatly reduced levels. I've saw a number of postmenopasual women who are quite ripped when I worked at for an assisted living facility. Her muscle mass is not that impressive even for a female though to obtain that in 4 years naturally may be difficult. Again it would depend on her previous state. But she does seem to show taletell signs of androgen abuse as evident by her jawline and neck. There's a high density of ARs in these tissues hence the apparent hypertrophy.

As for passing steroid tests it is still possible. But technology has advanced quite a bit and it's easier to detect exogenous steroids as they are checmically different and produce identifying metabolites. And these metabolites can have varying halflifes as well. They also tend to be stored in adipose tissue so when you start to reduce bodyfat they are released into you system and thus you may be more inclined to test positive even though use was months ago. This is why many fighters may test positive as they have to make weight before a bout. But do bodybuilding orgs use stringent testing methods that are WADA approved? If not then you could likely just use a short chain test ester at a moderate dose and still fall within parameters.

#26 VictorBjoerk

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 07:59 AM

She had quite sharp features before bodybuilding as well which would be apparent in her old photos...

#27 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:34 PM

People say a lot of things. Most women will never reach such a body over any length of time...without some androgenic assistance.

most MEN will never reach such a body over any length of time.

im with shep, ide put 20$ on her using some sort of androgens.

#28 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:23 PM

The Ultimate Diet 2.0 is, IMO, the best diet/program out there for the non-genetically gifted athelete with a serious interest in dropping bodyfat while preserving lean body mass.

Read the reviews:
http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/0967145627

Lyle Mcdonalds site (he sells the book there also)
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com

#29 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:05 AM

The Ultimate Diet 2.0 is, IMO, the best diet/program out there for the non-genetically gifted athelete with a serious interest in dropping bodyfat while preserving lean body mass.

Drugs are easier.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 08:32 PM

I'm no bodybuilding expert so I can't know. She repeatedly vehemently denies using anything illegal in swedish media,she says the secret to her success is porridge and vegetables........

My health professor said women can't get that bulky unless they take drugs. Anyway, I think she looks terrible, she's way too muscular.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users