• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Large Hadron Collider Poll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
113 replies to this topic

Poll: The Large Hadron Collider Poll (153 member(s) have cast votes)

To run or not to run...

1. Yes (126 votes [82.35%])

Percentage of vote: 82.35%

2. No (17 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

3. Uncertain (10 votes [6.54%])

Percentage of vote: 6.54%

Vote

#31 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 06:04 AM

This will be nice... can't wait. But unfortunately i suppose they won't do many experiments in day 1, and even if they do, the data will take a lot of time to be analyzed so i wouldn't expect much from it on the first weeks of activation. Maybe even a few months...

#32 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 02:26 AM

Ok wtf, the LHC countdown just went back to 32 days after yesterday which is the day it was to be activated according to the prevoous countdown. Did it make us travel back in time when it was activated or what?

Edited by sam988, 07 July 2008 - 02:27 AM.

#33 rhodan

• 76 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:39 PM

So, no black hole but the LHC activation sent the universe one month back in time.

Enjoy your Groundhog Day :)

Edited by rhodan, 09 July 2008 - 10:41 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:01 PM

So, no black hole but the LHC activation sent the universe one month back in time.

Enjoy your Groundhog Day :)

lol, run it in reverse. I want future technology now! :)

#35 mentatpsi

• Topic Starter
  • 904 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:11 PM

well look at the positive side of it, if it does go off and there is a black hole, then spirituality is right and we'll all become one :). lol

#36 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:49 PM

For all we know, the universe as we know it was created in some other universe doing the same sort of experiment. :) And in their 'space time' relative to them, fractions of an attosecond have passed and in fractions more, we'll just be destroyed, much like our current predictions of anything that will go on in there :~

We could give life and be the real Gods of countless 'civilisations' that happen as a result.

Just saying :~

#37 elwalvador

• 54 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:17 PM

Ok, so if we run it, what could we discover/learn and how would we use this information to better our lives? What is the Higgs Boson aka the God Particle

#38 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:40 AM

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Higgs_boson

Take your own conclusions lol. I'm too lazy to think about what it means :)

#39 elwalvador

• 54 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:53 PM

Apparently they are almost certain that it the Higgs Boson exist, but they have never witnessed it. That's as much as I could understand from that wiki article then it gets to smart for my little brain. We need a much smarter person than I to explain the value of this "Boson".

#40 Johan

• Guest, F@H
  • 472 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:27 PM

So, Wednesday it is. Two days left.

#41 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 11:34 PM

But it will still take some time before they actually start the collisions. Be glad, humanity still has a few weeks then ;)

Edited by sam988, 08 September 2008 - 11:34 PM.

#42 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:30 AM

lol, I'm actually starting to get nervous.

#43 williamhessian

• 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:38 AM

http://in.news.yahoo...-the-world.html

i was scanning the board for mentions of this and didnt find any debate. So I am making a thread so us immortalists can talk about it openly.

its a pretty interesting topic. what do you think?

#44 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:02 AM

If you were serious you'd have put it in the threats to life area ;)

#45 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:02 AM

If we can understand mass and gravity from this, it will be very good ;)

#46 VictorBjoerk

• Member, Life Member
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:00 PM

LOL swedish magazines writes that "your future could end tomorrow"

#47 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:04 AM

By the way, the protests and lawsuits are a great example of the neo luddites in action. And i'm glad, since i thought they would cause more annoyance (considering that there could be some powerful neo luddites out there). If, in the emergence of such "dreadful" experiments as the ones with the LHC, these protests, rumors and lawsuits is the most neo luddites can come with, i don't think that we will have much to worry with when we start building AIs, although the chance of a superintelligent AI taking over/destroying the world is much bigger than the chance of the LHC to produce a black hole that would eat us all. Still, i'm gladly unimpressed with the lack of strong movements against the LHC.

#48 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:10 AM

By the way, the protests and lawsuits are a great example of the neo luddites in action. And i'm glad, since i thought they would cause more annoyance (considering that there could be some powerful neo luddites out there). If, in the emergence of such "dreadful" experiments as the ones with the LHC, these protests, rumors and lawsuits is the most neo luddites can come with, i don't think that we will have much to worry with when we start building AIs, although the chance of a superintelligent AI taking over/destroying the world is much bigger than the chance of the LHC to produce a black hole that would eat us all. Still, i'm gladly unimpressed with the lack of strong movements against the LHC.

Let's just hope those neo luddites don't try to blow up the LHC like in the movie Contact where a religious neo luddite blew up the large sphere thing to prevent Armageddon or something.

#49 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:12 AM

lol, I'm actually starting to get nervous.

Me too, but a statement from Hawking said that the collisions that will be created occur all the time in the atmosphere with even larger energies. So theres nothing to worry about. ;)

I'm very eager to see what results will pour out of the LHC!

#50 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:45 AM

First, let me say that I don't think there is any significant probability of the LHC destroying Earth. However as a person with negative utilitarian leanings, I can't really see anything inherently wrong with humanity being vaporized, as long as no pain is caused. In fact, it would prevent a lot of suffering.

At the same time, it would mean a lot of lost potential happiness. Yet, no amount of happiness can whitewash all the suffering that has occurred and will occur. There are no other ethical frameworks which are logically consistent that I find to offer a better answer.

Is it repugnant to be nonchalant about the prospect of humanity being vaporized? Is the "wisdom of repugnance" justifiable in such a case?

Now if human civilization was thrust into some sort of worldwide ecological crisis or dark ages, that is another matter entirely and is completely unacceptable.

Thoughts?

#51 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:21 AM

First, let me say that I don't think there is any significant probability of the LHC destroying Earth. However as a person with negative utilitarian leanings, I can't really see anything inherently wrong with humanity being vaporized, as long as no pain is caused. In fact, it would prevent a lot of suffering.

At the same time, it would mean a lot of lost potential happiness. Yet, no amount of happiness can whitewash all the suffering that has occurred and will occur. There are no other ethical frameworks which are logically consistent that I find to offer a better answer.

Is it repugnant to be nonchalant about the prospect of humanity being vaporized? Is the "wisdom of repugnance" justifiable in such a case?

Now if human civilization was thrust into some sort of worldwide ecological crisis or dark ages, that is another matter entirely and is completely unacceptable.

Thoughts?

I think that most of humanity would prefer to keep existing than to end, as painless as the end could be. So unless i'm missing something, i don't agree with you.

#52 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 04:40 AM

Well apparently today is the day that this thread will be thrown off.
The button will turn, no collision will start yet, some people might sigh in relief but no information will come until months later.
Sad thing!

edit: wednesday on israel ;)

Edited by Winterbreeze, 10 September 2008 - 04:41 AM.

#53 maestro949

• 2,350 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:56 PM

The first beam was circulated this morning. They use twitter to announce their tidbits o news.

I wonder what the reaction will be if it produces absolutely no data of value. That's data in itself as in "oops, we invested money in the wrong technology." but that's a pretty big oops.

#54 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:26 PM

The first beam was circulated this morning. They use twitter to announce their tidbits o news.

I wonder what the reaction will be if it produces absolutely no data of value. That's data in itself as in "oops, we invested money in the wrong technology." but that's a pretty big oops.

Heh, I wondered the same thing.
No higgs found, no black holes no extra dimensions, either scrap physics (that's actually a lot of data) or figure out that simply accelerating particles is not the way to do it.
Will be a shame but I do believe this what will happen.

#55 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:31 PM

Well, end of the world passed safely once again.

#56 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:31 PM

http://in.news.yahoo...-the-world.html

i was scanning the board for mentions of this and didnt find any debate. So I am making a thread so us immortalists can talk about it openly.

its a pretty interesting topic. what do you think?

We've been discussing it here: http://www.imminst.o...mp;#entry262475

Anyway, the real tests will only starts in some weeks or even months. Until then, they're just testing the LHC to see if everything is in place for the real experiements.

#57 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:10 AM

Yesterday, a girl in India committed suicide because of fear for the LHC.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein

#58 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

Yesterday, a girl in India committed suicide because of fear for the LHC.

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein

haha seriously? In an ideal world, other neo luddites should do the same thing..

#59 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 06:39 PM

You mean if the damn thing didn't work at all? In some cases "no data", would still be useful. If they can't prove the existance of the Higg's boson the conclusion would probably be that the standard model is wrong, no? So what? There are probably thousand alternative theories.

I feel disappointed, because 6 people voted no. Knowledge for knowledge's sake is the only beautiful thing in life. The right to acquire knowledge should become part of the universal declaration of human rights.

Edited by kismet, 12 September 2008 - 06:39 PM.

#60 Mixter

• 788 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:23 PM

See http://www.hasthelar...heworldyet.com/

To be safe, make sure to click reload often!

Even if they won't find the Higgs thingy, the jokes seem endless. Great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users