• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

The Twelve Tribes: an emerging culture?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 03:51 AM

Elijah, people are different and you need to respect them, learn from-ponder--their beliefs.

I don't think that what others believe will send them to a firey hell. There are many paths to divine truths, including science (Michael La Torra, an Alcor member-- is a Buddhist monk running a retreat this weekend in AZ, and also a staunch transhumanist and scientist). I was checking this thread yes to see if you wrote, but have little time (there are so many threads I had to pass in the "active topics". Really. Many I wanted to post in, read about....but) --I have to write a story about "good touch" for a class on Sunday that will also be covering "bad touch" (the human sexuality class for K-2nd I'm teaching on Sundays at my church) I'm also being interviewed tomorrow for NBC's "Meet the Doctors" on how to do CR while raising children (I'll post it in our CR forum if it goes well, I'll be live on video for it). I got back from running a fundraiser tonight-- I'm teaching tomorrow--and two of my three children are going for sleep-overs :-) (one with a family that speaks only Spanish, and one with a Wiccan ;) ) But, Elijah, you and I and billions of other sentient human beings on this planet are quite different in what they believe. I'd love to have others believe that cryonics is a common sense option, that I don't believe it will happen--but since there is a chance, it is unfathomable to not do it.

#32 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:31 AM

Elijah, people are different and you need to respect them, learn from-ponder--their beliefs.

I've done this to the best of my ability.

I was checking this thread yes to see if you wrote, but have little time (there are so many threads I had to pass in the "active topics". Really. Many I wanted to post in, read about....but) --I have to write a story about "good touch" for a class on Sunday that will also be covering "bad touch" (the human sexuality class for K-2nd I'm teaching on Sundays at my church)

Sorry to hear you don't have the time to listen to that podcast. I think it would make for an interesting topic for discussion in your church. You should seriously consider it. I'm sure it will raise some eyebrows. ;)

I'm also being interviewed tomorrow for NBC's "Meet the Doctors" on how to do CR while raising children (I'll post it in our CR forum if it goes well, I'll be live on video for it).

Sounds good. I'll be sure to watch it.

But, Elijah, you and I and billions of other sentient human beings on this planet are quite different in what they believe. I'd love to have others believe that cryonics is a common sense option, that I don't believe it will happen--but since there is a chance, it is unfathomable to not do it.

That's where we're different at. You're putting your time and energy into a chance; whereas, I'm putting mine into a for sure thing. It will definitely take place.

#33 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:22 AM

For sure for who, which religion-I don't discount the others who believe in for sure things with all their being, soul, heart and mind. Also nothing is for sure in this world. The interview did not go so well, as in I have no idea if they will use it or not--she wanted me to be more "extreme" was asking if I had my kids do CR, if I test my blood every few months, weigh all my food. I'm more moderate, I had my blood tested 2 years ago, I watch my calories based on my past knowledge--I don't look up each thing each day. I don't know of any parents that have their kids do CR (some rumor that Walford did though). My children eat healthy, non-processed whole foods--we discourage snacking and they exercise--I think I disappointed the woman though, she wanted something she could sensationalize (at one point she said "so you don't do CR do you?" (This was after I'd said I will go all day without eating, skip breakfast and lunch--just have tea, coffee and gum--then eat a large/balanced dinner--she thought all CR people had to eat their large meal in the morning like Paul and Averill do. I assured her that different people do CR different ways, Robert and Michael backed me up with her-saying that I followed the principles of CR) Ah well.

I can listen to the podcast, but I don't use unverifiable dogma. I put neither time nor energy into that, chance takes nothing--dogma takes most every waking moment of one's life.

#34 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:55 PM

Also nothing is for sure in this world.

You lack faith. God's Kingdom on earth and the immortality that will come along with it are for certain.

The interview did not go so well, as in I have no idea if they will use it or not--she wanted me to be more "extreme" was asking if I had my kids do CR,

Sorry to hear things didn't go well. Honesty and accuracy is always the best policy.

was asking if I had my kids do CR

I'm sure you don't let your kids do CR, but do you teach them to not eat greedily? I'm sure you must present an excellent example of healthy eating to your children.

Let me ask you the same question I asked the Twelve Tribes father of 7. Have your kids ever been inside a McDonalds and do you let them eat junk foods with all those refined sugars, artificial colorings and flavors, etc?

I can listen to the podcast, but I don't use unverifiable dogma. I put neither time nor energy into that, chance takes nothing--dogma takes most every waking moment of one's life.

That's what living a devout life is all about. You got to be very serious if you want to enter the kingdom of God on earth and live forever.

#35 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 10:01 PM

I do not want to enter "the kingdom of God on earth and live forever" if it requires living on Earth forever, I would much rather prefer to be off in space terraforming other planets or such like the Mormons :). Plus I've said before, I do not discount Allah, Yahweh, Jehovah, Shiva or for that matter the beliefs of Buddhists that does not include a God for their view of unity with the Universe and for enlightenment.

Yes I've been in McDonald's, but they eat salads with grilled chicken, get the yogurt fruit parfait for dessert and such, sometimes I have to eat fastfood when traveling--I just teach them to make healthy choices, we don't eat fries :)

My dogma, is trying to educate people about why cryonics may work, or how we humans may end aging--our actual possibilities. If any God is out there, they will let occur what they want--if there is not, well we may live long enough to figure that all out. I spend every waking moment doing this, and if it in line with a God's wants for humanity, then I'm helping :) if not, then that God likely will not be smiting billions of people that didn't believe in one specific version of "it".

Anyway, if seen good parents and bad parents of all religions and in atheists. It seems parenting classes help, and having a support group of other parents in your community. Also, listening to one's elders who have raised children into productive adults.

#36 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

I would much rather prefer to be off in space terraforming other planets or such like the Mormons

Everybody wants to leave and go elsewhere. Nobody wants to stay behind and do the hard work. How about transforming the planet earth into a peaceful, environmentally sound and pollution free Utopia.

I do not discount Allah, Yahweh, Jehovah, Shiva or for that matter the beliefs of Buddhists

You can only serve one Master. I've found the God of the Bible to be superior to them all.

Yes I've been in McDonald's, but they eat salads with grilled chicken, get the yogurt fruit parfait for dessert and such, sometimes I have to eat fastfood when traveling--I just teach them to make healthy choices, we don't eat fries

I don't give the junk food dealers a penny. Any money you give them helps them stay in business.

My dogma, is trying to educate people about why cryonics may work, or how we humans may end aging--our actual possibilities.

I like to tell anyone who will listen that it will take living by every word that comes from God's mouth to achieve greater than normal lifespans and immortality.

Anyway, if seen good parents and bad parents of all religions and in atheists. It seems parenting classes help, and having a support group of other parents in your community. Also, listening to one's elders who have raised children into productive adults.

I would want to listen to what the Bible says on childrearing if I were ever to raise children. http://www.gnmagazin.../moralchild.asp

#37 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

Yes i have no doubt they're physically healthy, that's not my concern. My concern is their MENTAL HEALTH. It's clear that they're not getting a neutral education that will allow THEM to choose which belief to follow, but then again, civilization is so primitive that it doesn't bother with this problem yet; i hope it does someday. Stop brainwashing our new generations, let them THINK for themselves. One day, i hope, it will be a crime to brainwash children as they are nowadays.

Twelve Tribes children are mentally healthy too.

I guess they are, if you neglect the fact that they've been brainwashed from birth to believe in an imaginary being. I don't think parents should have the right to brainwash their kids...

#38 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

Yeah, I teach children the wisdoms from the Bible, not the hypocrisies. The central tenet of a UU is to always question... Yeah, the other religions only serve one Master too. I don't think children have one master in a house, or there is one master in a marriage, or there is one master for all of humanity, or for that matter all life--certainly if there was, then that master would be caring for things better :)

I prefer to encourage places like Mc Donald's to serve more healthy food.

Yeah, I agree that one should not brainwash a child, the child should be taught how to think for themselves--how to weigh evidence for themselves, how to analyze in a rational way.

#39 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:51 AM

Yeah, I agree that one should not brainwash a child, the child should be taught how to think for themselves--how to weigh evidence for themselves, how to analyze in a rational way.

That means that children should not be made witness religious rituals like prayers, churchgoing and such. If one's parents believe in Santa Claus and talk about him and worship him ritually, the kids will be brainwashed to believe in Santa Claus too. Belief in Gods is in no way different.

Edited by platypus, 21 October 2008 - 09:57 AM.

#40 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:43 AM

I guess they are, if you neglect the fact that they've been brainwashed from birth to believe in an imaginary being. I don't think parents should have the right to brainwash their kids...

So, I'm sure then, that you are equally opposed to the brainwashing and mind manipulation that occurs in the public schools and through television and computer games? Did you see my post on this here at http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=270679? Checkout the Pink Floyd song. :|?

#41 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:10 PM

Yeah, I teach children the wisdoms from the Bible, not the hypocrisies

But do you only teach them the parts of the Bible you like or understand due to your limited study, or do you leave the door open for them to gain a broader in depth knowledge that comes from intensive study, meditation and prayer?

I prefer to encourage places like Mc Donald's to serve more healthy food.

This is why you need to not give them any money or let your children patronize such places until they start serving healthy food instead of preying on the weaknesses of others - especially children.

then that master would be caring for things better

HE has a plan and is working it out. Be patient and wait on the one true Master.

Yeah, but this is better done by minds with a solid biblical education.

#42 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:16 PM

If one's parents believe in Santa Claus and talk about him and worship him ritually, the kids will be brainwashed to believe in Santa Claus too

It's the same thing with Ronald McDonald too. :|? Where I'm from Ronald is a dummy who sits out on a park bench in front of McDonald's. Some days I feel like running up and kicking him off that bench. :) Is this sacrilegious or what? :p

Edited by elijah3, 21 October 2008 - 12:17 PM.

#43 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

So, I'm sure then, that you are equally opposed to the brainwashing and mind manipulation that occurs in the public schools and through television and computer games?

I'm definetely not against education, it's a great antidote against superstitions of all kinds. If education is handled properly it will foster openness and critical thinking - giving people a rational worldview is hardly brainwashing. Television I cannot control and I doubt that computer games can be blamed for much.

#44 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

One can teach their children to think for themselves and make good decisions at fast food restaurants. Even my 7 year old knows what is good to order at Mc.Donald's, the chain has been working on offering healthy choices and they'll get better at it. The Ronald McDonald Foundation helps many families who have children in hospitals with the medical bills, I fondly remember staying in one of their homes when my parents were there while I was in the hospital as a child. I had 24 abdominal surgeries between the ages of 4 months and 5 1/2 years. My parents did not have the money to stay in a hotel in Chicago when I was at the Children's Memorial Hospital. The Ronald Mc.Donald Foundation paid for their expenses --for the cumulative year and a half they had to stay there.

But, my children are welcome to go into as much depth as they want in the Old Testament and New Testament, as well as other ancient religious texts--to search for wisdom and meaning. A solid biblical education does not usually go hand in hand with a rational mind, but it certainly can--the Rev. Dr. Loehr at our church is quite proficient in ancient languages and texts and the Bible in particular--he also is a scholar with a solid reputation for research and rational thinking. I'm happy with many aspects of my children's upbringing, their public schools, our church, our greater community. In our house we talk about T.V.and computer games--we choose the educational things and analyze the ones made for entertainment, it is all part of being a balanced person in our society.

#45 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:09 AM

If education is handled properly it will foster openness and critical thinking

Education for the masses is traiining for employment as wage slaves. This is not education handled properly at all. True, they want you to be open and critical sufficiently enough to perform the specialized task you're assigned. They're not interested in training you to upset the status quo, to be a disobedient wage slave, or to escape wage slavery all together.

giving people a rational worldview is hardly brainwashing

The system wants you to have a rational worldview as an obedient wage slave.

I doubt that computer games can be blamed for much

Come on platypus, I know you've heard of the computer game called Grand Theft Auto? http://www.mediafami.../20060614.shtml

#46 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:35 AM

One can teach their children to think for themselves and make good decisions at fast food restaurants.

This is a very difficult task that few parents succeed at I believe. And, it's very difficult to monitor whether your children are making wise decisions to not purchase junk food from junk food peddlers.

the chain has been working on offering healthy choices and they'll get better at it.

But how much death, disease, and weakened immune systems are they responsible for in the meantime?

The Ronald McDonald Foundation helps many families who have children in hospitals with the medical bills

It is profitable for them to do this. They're not stupid and they're not losing any money. They achieve a very high level of favorable publicity by doing this. Even gangsters have been known to be charitable on occasion. They, like McDonald's, known they may need the support of the public to continue to do business.

But, my children are welcome to go into as much depth as they want in the Old Testament and New Testament, as well as other ancient religious texts--to search for wisdom and meaning.

You're saying they're "welcome to" as if it is in their discretion to do so or not to do so. Children need parental support and encouragement to explore the Scriptures fully. You previously stated that you heavily influence your children with your secular humanist views. I interpret this to mean that you discourage your children from forming any serious belief in God, and from seriously studying the Bible and practicing what it teaches as a way of life.

Rev. Dr. Loehr at our church is quite proficient in ancient languages and texts and the Bible in particular--he also is a scholar with a solid reputation for research and rational thinking.

I can tell by his title that this man probably does not understand the Bible or practice it correctly.

I'm happy with many aspects of my children's upbringing, their public schools, our church, our greater community

I'm sure most people are until some major unexpected problem developes and they're caught by surprise. You always read about these children with what is called an excellent upbringing going bad.

In our house we talk about T.V.and computer games--we choose the educational things and analyze the ones made for entertainment, it is all part of being a balanced person in our society.

So, you do your best to influence your children to not watch T.V. programs or play computer games that are sexually exploitative or teach violence?

#47 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 07:35 AM

I agree with what Elijah says regarding the public education system. It teaches many kids about negative social pecking orders, bullying, lookism, wasted time and the reign of mediocrity. I have known a number of kids in my social circles whose parents home schooled them and they tend to be light years ahead of the average public school graduate. Quite a few of them got full scholarships, some even at Ivy League universities. I now scoff at the claim of public school administrators that you need to attend their system to learn to be a well rounded and social person. LOL

Thanks for agreeing! It's all an obvious truth. I've noticed the same thing in children attending private schools.

I think home schooling is definetely inferior to a good school, public or private. This should be clear just from the socialisation-perspective, or do want to raise your kid to do organic farming on a secluded ranch waiting for Armageddon?

I realize not everyone (in fact most) people have the opportunity to home school. And a person in a decent school district who works hard can get a good education, but if I had kids I would not want to chance it.

Same here!

I grew up in Finland which has one of the best public schooling systems in the world. The public universities are not half bad eitheder, I managed to stay in school + university for a total of 26 years :|?

#48 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:54 PM

Here's an excellent song by the Twelve Tribes that supports living communally. I'm sure everyone will enjoy this Holy Spirit inspired singing. :|?

#49 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:34 AM

do want to raise your kid to do organic farming on a secluded ranch waiting for Armageddon?

The Twelve Tribes do a lot more than that. They're building a whole new culture to replace the existing one which is in the process of decaying and dying. They have cottage industries, construction companies, and cafes, and do a fair amount of evangelist outreach. They receive a lot of visitors so they can't be considered secluded.

I grew up in Finland which has one of the best public schooling systems in the world.

I haven't read anything about the school system in Finland, but I bet there are flaws and weaknesses there too. Isn't the political climate in Finland about the same as in the Scandinavian countries?

#50 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:41 PM

Hah, this time while posting my 9 year-old son came in to read it, as I had the song playing. Of course I have them read ancient texts in depth, not just the Bible, they are welcome to take on any religious view that they want. As a parent I guide them but any parent will tell you that you can not dictate to your children how to think, no matter where they are raised or what religion children as part of growing have to differentiate and come up with their own views about the world. Elijah, you watch Jesus Camp about the christian prostylitizing believing kids? (I took my kids to this when it was in the theatre :) )--the follow ups on them a few years later after they are out of the sheltered homeschooled background, they drastically change their outlooks... Also, you see Religulous? My 9 year old son who is sitting here with me, reading this while I type (he said "hi" :) ) watched the trailer with me, he wants to see it--but I worry that he will not analyze or distance himself from some of Bill's more meanspirited jokes (he can be racist and sexist at times, but he is quick witted and quite clever). So my son is waiting for me to come play with him, gotta go parent now, but this kind of parenting was fun too--talking about this thread :)

#51 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:53 AM

Hah, this time while posting my 9 year-old son came in to read it, as I had the song playing.

Your son knows good music when he hears it. Tell him I said hi too. :) I've posted below another song by the Twelve Tribes about the falling away of some of the early Church. It's a sad song unfortunately. The song makes reference to Revelation 2:4,5. It should be noted that not all of the early Church fell away due to weaknesses of the flesh however. Many were put to death or imprisoned.

Elijah, you watch Jesus Camp about the christian prostylitizing believing kids? (I took my kids to this when it was in the theatre

I think I saw some of it in a You Tube video posted by Live Forever or someone else. If I remember correctly, the church running the Jesus camp were conservative right wing evangical protestants. Those people are not practicing the truth of the Scriptures and because of this they turn many away from Yahweh and Yahshua. The Twelve Tribes teach their children in a loving way. It's quite a bit different.

#52 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 06:47 PM

I didn't say his opinion of the song :) he has different ideas about immortality than were mentioned in the song and of my three children he is the one who says he is an atheist --not a UU, he is more staunchly atheist probably because he resents being kicked out of a private Christian school when he was 4/12 because he was arguing with the principal about the existence of "God" :). Now though, he has come a long way with learning about religions and having tolerance since then, but the boy still gets into debates with his friends if they express an irrational belief. This frustrates me, because he and his friend will both become irritated--as a UU I try to have him respect other people's beliefs even if he does not believe them--respect the person and the wisdom from their religion. My girls both do this on their own, with my son I have to do a lot more teaching of tolerance and acceptance. Just yesterday when he went with me to be an assistant in the class I'm teaching to 19 3rd through 8th grade kids, I was proud of his not jumping all over a boy when a boy said there was no way we came from monkeys and was arguing with two other kids there that were basically laughing at him. My son, actually sat beside me quietly and let me diffuse it (normally he would have jumped into an argument like that) I said to the whole class that we don't know, we have evidence of evolution but there are still gaps that scientists are looking at. I affirmed Intelligent Design --that it could also be part of evolution. This was not because I didn't want the kids parent upset with me, or I simply wanted to stop them all from arguing--I really do believe that we humans don't know everything and there are very big questions that we are still working on. (we've not had scientific inquiry very long, and only had written history for a few thousand years-- 90% of our "technological advances" have come about in the last mere 100 years, we are still in a "dark ages" compared to what the next few thousand years will be like IMO. In my future studies classes we do a lot of looking at history, before we even address what may be coming :) )

#53 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

--as a UU I try to have him respect other people's beliefs even if he does not believe them--respect the person and the wisdom from their religion.

You teach your children better than I thought. Do you tell them to try to win over their opposition by setting a good example of tolerance and love for those who have opposing beliefs?

I said to the whole class that we don't know, we have evidence of evolution but there are still gaps that scientists are looking at. I affirmed Intelligent Design --that it could also be part of evolution.

This statement gives me hope you will eventually come to realize the truth of the matter.

I really do believe that we humans don't know everything and there are very big questions that we are still working on. (we've not had scientific inquiry very long, and only had written history for a few thousand years-- 90% of our "technological advances" have come about in the last mere 100 years, we are still in a "dark ages" compared to what the next few thousand years will be like IMO. In my future studies classes we do a lot of looking at history, before we even address what may be coming

You are obviously a highly educated person, but it's going to take communal sharing of all things while following the example of wisdom and love Yahshua showed us when He walked the earth to enter the future successfully. Begin looking into the history of the early Church in the book of Acts for how the future will look.

Here's another song by the Twelve Tribes you might like.
If I can't convince you with biblical logic, may be the Twelve Tribes music will. :)

#54 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:36 PM

I doubt that computer games can be blamed for much.

Microsoft offers reward for missing Xbox gamer

Tue Oct 28, 5:13 PM

OTTAWA (AFP) - US software behemoth Microsoft has doubled a cash reward for information on the whereabouts of a Canadian boy who ran away from home after his father took away his Xbox game console, it said Tuesday.

Brandon Crisp, 15, took off on his bicycle from his Barrie, Ontario home on October 13 -- Canada's Thanksgiving holiday -- and rode east along an old rail line.

He has not been seen since.

His father told local media he had removed Brandon's Xbox, built by Microsoft, after noticing changes in behavior since Brandon started playing "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" online.

The boy started skipping school, stealing money and ignoring his studies, his father said.

A local newspaper, the family's Internet service provider and Child Find offered a 25,000-dollar (19,500-dollar US) reward for information leading to his return.

Microsoft topped it up with another 25,000 dollars, the company said Tuesday in an email to AFP, "hoping for his swift return."

"Like everyone, we are deeply worried about the disappearance of Brandon Crisp," the company said.

Exhaustive searches have not turned up a single clue beyond the boy's bicycle, found last week with a flat tire.

Police are said to be examining who Brandon played with online. "Law enforcement has contacted Microsoft about this matter and we are cooperating fully with them," said Microsoft.

On Sunday, 1,600 volunteer searchers packed up their reflective vests and ended their efforts to find him, while police stopped their air and water search.

In an interview with the daily Globe and Mail, the boy's father, Steve Crisp, said he had not known how important the gaming system was to his son and how he would react when it was taken away.

Experts commented that gamers may form bonds with fellow online players.

"This had become his identity, and I didn't realize how in-depth this was until I took his Xbox away," Steve Crisp told the Globe and Mail. "That's like cutting his legs off."

"This is such an issue that hits every parent out there, with video games that are starting to control our kids' lives," he said.

"I just took away his identity, so I can understand why he got so mad and took off. Before, I couldn't understand why he was taking off for taking his game away."

Now, Brandon's father says he just wants his son to come home.

http://ca.news.yahoo...child_microsoft

In a statement released after the hearing, State Sen. Leland Yee, a child psychologist who wrote the 2005 law, cited studies that show violent games can be linked to aggression, anti-social behavior and desensitization to violence.

http://news.yahoo.co...eo_game_lawsuit

#55 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:26 PM

Just about anything can be taken to excess (including religion which can also cause aggression and anti-social behavior depending on the religion), that is a sad case--but it sounds the parents should have been helping the boy manage his time better, as well as how to be flexible when you are not getting your way...

#56 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:19 PM

Just about anything can be taken to excess (including religion which can also cause aggression and anti-social behavior depending on the religion),

When that happens it's usually a part of one of those obviously false religions or one of those Bible based religions that wrongfully focuses on something in the Old Testament while excluding or misinterpreting the New Testament.

that is a sad case--but it sounds the parents should have been helping the boy manage his time better, as well as how to be flexible when you are not getting your way...

You're not suggesting that it's possible for children use violent video games in a healthy way? Even if some children can use them with minimal negative side effects, what about those who are susceptible due to some weakness in character or background?

#57 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:45 PM

Yes i have no doubt they're physically healthy, that's not my concern. My concern is their MENTAL HEALTH. It's clear that they're not getting a neutral education that will allow THEM to choose which belief to follow, but then again, civilization is so primitive that it doesn't bother with this problem yet; i hope it does someday. Stop brainwashing our new generations, let them THINK for themselves. One day, i hope, it will be a crime to brainwash children as they are nowadays.

Twelve Tribes children are mentally healthy too. There is no such thing as a neutral education. There's always a slant, a bias or a deficiency to it. Allowing children to choose which belief system to follow leads to confusion, unhappiness, death and destruction in too many instances.

Many view a public school education as nothing more than brainwashing and training for life in the factory and police state that stifles creative thinking and love for fellow man. Think of the brutality, bullying and pecking order system of the public schools. Some look at public schools in the same light as prisons.

Would you rather see children subjected to the violent and sexually deviant programming from television and video games? I think the harmful effects of television and computer games on children is a scientifically established fact isn't it? I would think you would be for escaping this madness.

Public schools bring to mind Pink Floyd's song "Another brick in the Wall." :) The Twelve Tribes have the answer for escaping the wall.

It's hard to believe, but they've been singing songs about how bad public schools are for developing young minds before Pink Floyd.

Pete Seeger - What did you learn in school?

Pete Seeger - Little Boxes

#58 william7

• Topic Starter
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:26 AM

Surfing violent websites linked to violent behavior

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) – Young people exposed to violent media are more likely to lash out violently themselves, new research published in Pediatrics shows.

"Our findings add to the growing evidence that violence in the media is related to aggressive behavior, including seriously violent behavior among youths," Dr. Michele L. Ybarra of Internet Solutions for Kids in Santa Ana, California and her colleagues report. "Reduction in youths' exposure to violent media should be viewed as an important aspect of violence prevention."

http://news.yahoo.co...PZqWEc1tU3gcbYF

More reason why we need to home school our children and keep them away from television and violent computer games like the Twelve Tribes do.

#59 Shannon Vyff

• 3,897 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:30 AM

You can monitor what your children are watching, and I find the Internet an priceless tool for teaching on a daily basis. The Television too can teach, if it is to discuss what others watch and why, or just to actually learn from science shows and documentaries. Parenting reduces violent behavior, time spent with growing children teaching them how to control themselves and to analyze situations--even before the modern age of T.V., gaming systems and Internet that was a risk factor for youth becoming violent--lack of parental involvement.

#60 thughes

• 262 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:07 AM

Twelve Tribes children are mentally healthy too. There is no such thing as a neutral education. There's always a slant, a bias or a deficiency to it. Allowing children to choose which belief system to follow leads to confusion, unhappiness, death and destruction in too many instances.

Nothing good is pain free. Not allowing children exposure to other beliefs is much worse than any confusion and unhappiness they may initially have, causing ignorance, fear, misunderstanding of their fellow man... and I suspect isolation of this sort is much more likely to cause death and destruction than its specific lack, especially if and when these people do encounter the real world and other ideas as adults and start to question their own beliefs. They will be completely unprepared for this.

IMO the main reason to isolate children like this is fear of them losing their beliefs, although the people doing this may use other excuses to hide this fact even from themselves. No belief that can maintain itself only by ignorance is worth having. If you can't answer your own children's innocent questions about your religion as compared to others, your beliefs are built on sand so to speak. Plus, for the sake of the entire world, belief systems should mix in the open and be questioned and tested, so the best prevail and spread. Isolation can only increase the world's problems, remember not every group choosing isolation to foster belief systems is going to be harmless.

- Tracy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users