• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Are Godly ethics pro or anti Immortalism?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: Are the Ten Commandments evil? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Are the Ten Commandments evil?

1. We're all bettter off supporting God's Ten Commandments. (6 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

2. We're all better off suppressing God's Ten Commandments. (7 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:23 AM

"I wish it (Christianity) were more productive of good works ... I mean real good works ... not holy-day keeping, sermon-hearing ... or making long prayers, filled with flatteries and compliments despised by wise men, and much less capable of pleasing the Deity." Ben Franklin

#32 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution. The primitive Christians thought persecution extremely wrong in the Pagans, but practiced it on one another. The first Protestants of the Church of England blamed persecution in the Romish Church, but practiced it upon the Puritans. They found it wrong in Bishops, but fell into the practice themselves both here (England) and in
New England." Ben Franklin

#33 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."
Franklin

#34 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:24 AM

I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved -- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of
grief has produced!
-- John Adams, letter to Thomas Jefferson, from George Seldes, The Great Quotations,

#35 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

"...this would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it."
Francis Lewis

#36 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

"In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot ... they have perverted the purest religion ever preached to man into mystery and jargon, unintelligible to all mankind, and therefore the safer engine for their purpose."
William Floyd

#37 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:25 AM

"...difference of opinion is advantageous in religion. The several sects perform the office of a common censor over each other.
Phillips Livingston

#38 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

"I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition (Christianity) one redeeming feature. They are all alike founded on fables and mythology."
John Hart

#39 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

"... I am not afraid of priests. They have tried upon me all their various batteries of pious whining, hypocritical canting, lying and slandering.
Dr. John Witherspoon

#40 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:26 AM

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
Judge Richard Stockton

#41 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

"Experience witnesseth that ecclesiastical establishments, instead of maintaining the purity and efficacy of religion, have had a contrary operation.
Robert Morris

#42 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst." Tomas Paine

#43 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

"The New Testament, they tell us, is founded upon the prophecies of the Old; if so, it must follow the fate of its foundation.'' Thomas Paine

#44 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:27 AM

Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected
the world.
Dr. Benjamin Rush

#45 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Every sensible man, every honest man, must hold the Christian sect in horror.
Thomas Paine

#46 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

I have included a few non signers for your viewing pleasure.
Gov. Jesse "The Body" Ventura, Former WWWF World Champion Wrestler
Ventura: Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers. It tells people to go out and stick their noses in other people's business. I live by the golden rule: Treat others as you'd want them to treat you. The religious right wants to tell people how to live.
-- Gov. Jesse Ventura, Playboy, November, 1999

#47 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:28 AM

Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)
The 16th President of the United States (1861-1865)
My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scriptures, have become clearer and stronger with advancing years and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them.
-- Abraham Lincoln, to Judge J. S. Wakefield, after Willie Lincoln's death (Willie died in 1862)

#48 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:30 AM

I believe in the separation of church and state.... We all have our own religious beliefs. There
are people out there who are atheists, who don't believe at all.... They are all citizens of
Minnesota and I have to respect that.
-- Gov. Jesse Ventura, explaining why he refused to sign a National Day of Prayer proclamation, May 6, 1999

#49 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:32 AM

You see Bush, the great decisions of government cannot be dictated by the concerns of religious factions such as the Christian Church. This was true in the days of Madison, and it is just as true today. We have succeeded for well over 200 years in keeping the affairs of state separate from the uncompromising idealism of religious groups and we mustn't stop now. To retreat from that separation would violate the principles of our Nation and the values upon which the framers built this democratic republic.

Over our history there are always those who want to take this wall of separation and remove a brick here or there or damage it more than that. I think one has to be vigilant and constantly on the alert to such things.

The mixing of government and religion can be a threat to free government, even if no one is forced to participate. When the government puts its imprimatur on a particular religion, it conveys a message of exclusion to all those who do not adhere to the favored beliefs. A government cannot be premised on the belief that all persons are created equal when it asserts that God prefers some.

Live Long and Well
Rev. William Constitution O'Rights
The First Immortal

#50 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:39 AM

[quote][quote]
We're trying to get to Heaven, wanna help? :-)
[/quote]

Umm, Don't you have to die to get there??? If so, I don't think you'll find a whole hell of a lotta support from this group. Besides, it would be against Bruce's mission statement, and I for one would not make the trade.

Your God, Your Heaven or hangin' here with Bruce.

No Bush I vote for Bruce.

Live Long and well

#51 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:45 AM

[quote][quote]
Frankly, with your supposed love of life, I'm suprised you all aren't Catholic or Southern Baptist.
[/quote]

Can your religion promise me that my life will not end in death, that sickness will not impair my health, that age will not follow my youth, that misfortune will not destroy my property. If your religion can not promise these things, your world is a prison, and I personlly resolved to not seek it.

Rev. William O'Rights
Live Long and Well

#52 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:56 AM

if there's one thing to fear it is the one that can save you or cast you into a cauldron to choke on your boiling feces for eternity.

That's a real powerful visual.

#53 outlawpoet

• 140 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 01:58 AM

It seems like between the two, immortalism comes out better because you don't have to grow old and die painfully in order to get to the nice bits.

#54 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 02:12 AM

A post was removed here because it contained bad language... please check the ImmInst forum guidelines before posting.

Grrrrrrr.......

#55 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 02:13 AM

I was only pointing out what most of you are.

You are the bad language.

Exactly which things you are were offensive to you?

Could you repost that Bush, or send it to me and I'll repost it.

#56 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 02:17 AM

A post was removed here because it contained bad language... please check the ImmInst forum guidelines before posting.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT DELETE THIS STUFF.....
This is the funniest stuff that I have read in years. And Please do not block his postings...... As Shakespear had his "Puck", we at ImmInst have Bush..... What a treasure!!!!!

Regards, William O'Rights

#57 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 02:27 AM

The 10 Commandments Pared Down to Two.

from"Complaints and Grievances"

Here is my problem with the ten commandments- why exactly are there 10?

You simply do not need ten. The list of ten commandments was artificially and deliberately inflated to get it up to ten. Here's what happened:

About 5,000 years ago a bunch of religious and political hustlers got together to try to figure out how to control people and keep them in line. They knew people were basically stupid and would believe anything they were told, so they announced that God had given them some commandments, up on a mountain, when no one was around.

Well let me ask you this- when they were making this stuff up, why did they pick 10? Why not 9 or 11? I'll tell you why- because 10 sound official. Ten sounds important! Ten is the basis for the decimal system, it's a decade, it's a psychologically satisfying number (the top ten, the ten most wanted, the ten best dressed). So having ten commandments was really a marketing decision! It is clearly a bullshit list. It's a political document artificially inflated to sell better. I will now show you how you can reduce the number of commandments and come up with a list that's a little more workable and logical. I am going to use the Roman Catholic version because those were the ones I was taught as a little boy.

Let's start with the first three:

I AM THE LORD THY GOD THOU SHALT NOT HAVE STRANGE GODS BEFORE ME

THOU SHALT NOT TAKE THE NAME OF THE LORD THY GOD IN VAIN

THOU SHALT KEEP HOLY THE SABBATH

Right off the bat the first three are pure bullshit. Sabbath day? Lord's name? strange gods? Spooky language! Designed to scare and control primitive people. In no way does superstitious nonsense like this apply to the lives of intelligent civilized humans in the 21st century. So now we're down to 7. Next:

HONOR THY FATHER AND MOTHER

Obedience, respect for authority. Just another name for controlling people. The truth is that obedience and respect shouldn't be automatic. They should be earned and based on the parent's performance. Some parents deserve respect, but most of them don't, period. You're down to six.

Now in the interest of logic, something religion is very uncomfortable with, we're going to jump around the list a little bit.

THOU SHALT NOT STEAL

THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS

Stealing and lying. Well actually, these two both prohibit the same kind of behavior- dishonesty. So you don't really need two you combine them and call the commandment "thou shalt not be dishonest". And suddenly you're down to 5.

And as long as we're combining I have two others that belong together:

THOU SHALT NOT COMMIT ADULTRY

THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR'S WIFE

Once again, these two prohibit the same type of behavior. In this case it is marital infidelity. The difference is- coveting takes place in the mind. But I don't think you should outlaw fantasizing about someone else's wife because what is a guy gonna think about when he's waxing his carrot? But, marital infidelity is a good idea so we're gonna keep this one and call it "thou shalt not be unfaithful". And suddenly we're down to four.

But when you think about it, honesty and infidelity are really part of the same overall value so, in truth, you could combine the two honesty commandments with the two fidelity commandments and give them simpler language, positive language instead of negative language and call the whole thing "thou shalt always be honest and faithful" and we're down to 3.

THOU SHALT NOT COVET THY NEIGHBOR"S GOODS

This one is just plain stupid. Coveting your neighbor's goods is what keeps the economy going! Your neighbor gets a vibrator that plays "o come o ye faithful", and you want one too! Coveting creates jobs, so leave it alone. You throw out coveting and you're down to 2 now- the big honesty and fidelity commandment and the one we haven't talked about yet:

THOU SHALT NOT KILL

Murder. But when you think about it, religion has never really had a big problem with murder. More people have been killed in the name of god than for any other reason. All you have to do is look at Northern Ireland, Cashmire, the Inquisition, the Crusades, and the World Trade Center to see how seriously the religious folks take thou shalt not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable. It depends on who's doin the killin' and who's gettin' killed. So, with all of this in mind, I give you my revised list of the two commandments:

Thou shalt always be honest and faithful to the provider of thy nookie.

&

Thou shalt try real hard not to kill anyone, unless of course they pray to a different invisible man than you.

Two is all you need; Moses could have carried them down the hill in his pocket. I wouldn't mind those folks in Alabama posting them on the courthouse wall, as long as they provided one additional commandment:

Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.
Carlin

#58 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 04:41 AM

Wait...

I meant your're gonna BURN IN HELL, rebel! ^_^
Jesus is gonna stone you good. *nods*

Hey Bush, Just doing my part to piss off the religious right. :)

#59 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 04:47 AM

Wait...

He is YOUR God. [huh]
They are YOUR Rules. [sfty]
YOU burn in Hell! [:o]

[lol] [lol] [lol]
"Born-Again Skeptic"
Rev. William O'Rights

#60 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2003 - 04:50 AM

Wait...

Hey wait Bush, are you sure about that?
I think your wrong, of course God will forgive me; that's His job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users