- - - - -

Nicotine patch for focus - a log

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#91 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

about snus:

Oral use of Swedish moist snuff (snus) and risk for cancer of the mouth, lung, and pancreas in male construction workers: a retrospective cohort study.
Luo J, Ye W, Zendehdel K, Adami J, Adami HO, Boffetta P, Nyrén O.
Source

BACKGROUND:

Although classified as carcinogenic, snuff is used increasingly in several populations. Scandinavian moist snuff (snus) has been proposed as a less harmful alternative to smoking, but precise data on the independent associations of snus use with site-specific cancers are sparse. We aimed to assess the risks for cancer of the oral cavity, lung, and pancreas.
METHODS:

Detailed information about tobacco smoking and snus use was obtained from 279 897 male Swedish construction workers in 1978-92. Complete follow-up until end of 2004 was accomplished through links with population and health registers. To distinguish possible effects of snus from those of smoking, we focused on 125 576 workers who were reported to be never-smokers at entry. Adjusted relative risks were derived from Cox proportional hazards regression models.
FINDINGS:

60 cases of oral, 154 of lung, and 83 of pancreatic cancer were recorded in never-smokers. Snus use was independently associated with increased risk of pancreatic cancer (relative risk for ever-users of snus 2.0; 95% CI 1.2-3.3, compared with never-users of any tobacco), but was unrelated to incidence of oral (0.8, 95% CI 0.4-1.7) and lung cancer (0.8, 0.5-1.3).
INTERPRETATION:

Use of Swedish snus should be added to the list of tentative risk factors for pancreatic cancer. We were unable to confirm any excess of oral or lung cancer in snus users.

snus is 99% less carcinogenic than smoking and it only increases risk for pancreatic cancer (and maybe eventually they'll found something about other cancers with increased average life-span). snus is a form of tobacco, so I doubt that nicotine patches (or any other non-tobacco nicotine) are so carcinogenic that somebody who doesn't plan to live more than 100 years should worry about. but OTOH, this is imminst forum, so you should worry about it. :)

my story about smoking: I started smoking after I abused anticholinergics and felt terrible for a week or so, it was a kind of HPPD. I read on some forum that one guy had same problem, which smoking alleviated for half an hour or so. I was desperate so I smoked a pipe and immediately I felt normal again (and also very relaxed and nauseous). since I used very strong tobacco I immediately got hooked. I really felt nicotine for three hours or so because I didn't have any tolerance so I smoked about three times a day for a couple of weeks, after this I only smoked occasionally but I was addicted so I started using snus. now I'm planning to quit it in few weeks, maybe I'll use patches, but I guess I'll never get over addiction totally. so, don't try it kids it's bad fo' ya'! maybe it helps some people with ADHD, OCD or schizophrenia, but otherwise it's not worth it. it also costs a lot if u use it regularly.

Edited by hippocampus, 22 November 2011 - 06:06 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#92 Complexology

• 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

Maybe I am nuts.

I am an ex-smoker. 

I only smoked 5 cigarettes for 8 months in a row in times of stress, october 2012 till may 2013. Because my housemate was smoking, I did too.

The last couple of years, I have become a social smoker.

Sometimes I smoke 30 cigarettes a whole month in many occassion every weekend, when I am in company with people, I do enjoy smoking though, but I hate drug dependency, and think it's for pussies. And it's amazing after without even being aware that I should be addcited, I stop cigarettes like it's nothing. Sometimes I experience a little bit awareness of nicotine withdrawal, but not as normal smoke quiter describe.

My mind is so strong, I build a mindset that convinces me, that smoking is dirty, useless, inefficient, for dumbfucks. Somehow this mindset prevents me even from experiencing nicotine problems.

I think it's a choice to feel addictive.

I think you can program your brain to actually, I am not kidding, have strong aversive relationships with nicotine.

My greatest reason is, that smoking drastically interferes with my high-level reasoning capacities. Because my motivation is so strong, I stop smoking like it's nothing. It's like my brain refuses to experience nicotine withdrawal.

This is a true story. Mind over matter!!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users