- - - - -

facial exercises

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to do exercises that target various muscles in your face. The reason for this would be to make oneself appear more attractive, be it a more masculine appearance or to make oneself look younger as the increased muscle mass helps stop the skin from wrinkling.

I have done a little googleing on this topic and there is some information but some people think it's bogus and some people that it works.

So does anyone here have any knowledge or experience with this subject?

thanks,

Chris

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 09:47 PM

LaLanne does it. I think it's a waste of time.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

I can see these as being potentially bad for your facial appearance considering that, when you do these exercises, you are forcefully folding and pulling your skin more strenuously than if you were just making normal facial expressions. I see that as being a recipe for wrinkles.

Oh and it would be terrible to see any facial exercises jokes.

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 07 October 2008 - 10:54 PM

Why? Your jaw hurting?

#5 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 03:43 AM

This site looks like a helpful (and apart from the google adwords) non-commercial resource that appears to have been built by an enthusiast.
http://www.shapeyourface.com/

Contrary Opinion

Almost everyone I know believes that exercise keeps all areas of the body in good shape. But most of these same people would not even consider doing facial exercises to keep all areas of the face in good shape. Why is there this reluctance to do the same thing for the face as we do for the body?

Paula Begoun, a woman I respect for her intelligence and honesty, thinks that facial exercises are actually harmful to the face. But I'm going to let Paula who has written many fine books on skin and hair care speak for herself:

I am completely bewildered by the enthusiasm facial exercises seem to generate. I get swarms of letters from women telling me that I have my non-exercised head screwed on wrong when I suggest that facial exercises don't work. But is there any research that explains the mania surrounding all this stretching of the face muscles?

For the most part, facial exercises are more a problem for skin than a help. Facial exercises provide little or no benefit because loss of muscle tone is not a major cause of wrinkles or sagging skin. In fact, muscle tone is barely involved in these at all.

The skin's sagging and drooping are caused by four major factors: Deteriorated collagen and elastin (due primarily to sun damage); Depletion of the skin's fat layer (a factor of genetic aging and gravity); Repetitive facial movement (particularly true for the forehead frown lines and for smile lines from the nose to the mouth); Muscle sagging due to the loosening of facial ligaments that hold the muscles in place.

Facial exercise is not helpful for worn-out collagen, elastin, or the skin's fat layer, because none of that is about the muscles. It is especially not helpful for the lines caused by facial movement! Instead, facial exercises only make those areas appear more lined. The reason Botox injections into the muscles of the forehead and facial lines work to create a smoother face is because Botox prevents the muscles from moving!

These paragraphs are from Paula's excellent book The Beauty Bible, page 215. I strongly recommend the 2nd Edition of this book to all women who want straight talk about beauty problems. That's Paula below looking great even though she hates facial exercises.

Paula Begoun

Since I'm not selling a facial exercise program, I don't have to try to destroy the credibility of Paula Begoun on this topic or to misrepresent her point of view. She presents her argument against facial exercise clearly, cogently - and honestly. You, the reader of the material on this site, will have to make up your own mind as to what is best for your face. For people who prefer not to exercise, Paula's rationale will be welcome news.

And, by the way, Botox, which Paula mentions, does work. It gives the person injected a smooth brow - but it leaves the upper part of the face almost expressionless because the muscles in this area are at first just deadened and later become atrophied.

Edited by caston, 08 October 2008 - 03:47 AM.

#6 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 05:18 AM

There is a bit more expensive option that works well too :)

#7 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:05 AM

Why? Your jaw hurting?

Consider yourself warned.

#8 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:10 AM

That's a nearly unbelievable improvement. Worth whatever she paid. Really.

#9 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 09:41 AM

There is a bit more expensive option that works well too :~

Yeah, I'm not really going to go in for cosmetic surgery. I just got interested in the concept of facial exercises. It was an idea after noticing that someone I went clubbing with (on my brothers birthday) had much more developed facial muscles than mine and he seemed to be doing well with the ladies despite being completely bald.

I kind of see getting facial surgery as like getting pec implants. I'd rather earn the real thing, if it is indeed possible. I think it would be much healthier.

I might pick your brains about periodontal health (and perhaps even rejuvenation) at some time though :)

Edited by caston, 08 October 2008 - 09:51 AM.

#10 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 01:21 AM

Facial exercises work, particularly repetitive flexion of the zygomatics (smile!) the problem is, as with any exercise, you have to keep doing it to maintain the effect.

#11 keflex

• 12 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:52 AM

Yeah, I'm not really going to go in for cosmetic surgery. I just got interested in the concept of facial exercises. It was an idea after noticing that someone I went clubbing with (on my brothers birthday) had much more developed facial muscles than mine and he seemed to be doing well with the ladies despite being completely bald.

This is much likely due to him being much more expressive as a person -- I knew a few guys that are bald/balding that are good with the ladies.

If you're doing it for women, don't bother working on the facial muscles and instead focus on your social skills. As you become a more social/outgoing person, your expressiveness in general will develop.

Good looks get your foot in the door, but (and this especially true for guys) personality is what keeps you there.

#12 .fonclea.

• Guest, F@H
  • 300 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

Smiling is a good exercise

#13 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

Agreed .fonclea.! Smiling is the only facial exercise I'll ever do.

Caston, your bald friend no doubt had a winning (or at least clubbing) personality and that garnered him female attention. Like keflex said, just being expressive makes people attractive imho.

#14 suspire

• 583 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:24 PM

I scowl a lot. It's my favorite facial exercise. I find that it makes me happier. And sexier. The women come in droves.

Edited by suspire, 11 January 2009 - 09:25 PM.

#15 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:58 AM

I scowl a lot. It's my favorite facial exercise. I find that it makes me happier. And sexier. The women come in droves.

I hear it's really the scowling, sarcastic guys that get all the women and not the expressive, charming ones ;)

#16 suspire

• 583 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:40 AM

I hear it's really the scowling, sarcastic guys that get all the women and not the expressive, charming ones ;)

I can do both! And with just one face!

#17 mpstat

• 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

I have been doing facial exercises for quite a while. Facial Exercises do work, and it is one of the best things I have done for my appearance. What is good to have nice skin on sagging face? I want to have toned youthful facial muscles (and I have them).

Over the time I got several facial exercise systems. FlexEffect by Deb Crowley, Facercise by Carole Maggio, and Ageless by Louise Annette

Facercise - a weak program, does not really build muscles

FlexEffect - is the most comprehensive, and involved program. Bodybuilding principles applied to face, with a need to know and understand facial muscles. You can see before/after photos when scroll down, and click on links.
http://www.flexeffect.com/beforeafter.htm

Ageless - LouLou used to be a FlexEffect facial builder, and http://louiseannette.co.uk/ then developed her own program, which is also a resistance program like FlexEffect, but far less involved.

Currently I do sort of merge of FlexEffect, Ageless, and my own variations. With facial exercises one would not need a facelift.

Edited by mpstat, 14 January 2009 - 07:38 PM.

#18 suspire

• 583 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

FlexEffect - is the most comprehensive, and involved program. Bodybuilding principles applied to face, with a need to know and understand facial muscles.

Currently I do sort of merge of FlexEffect, Ageless, and my own variations. With facial exercises one would not need a facelift.

[/size]

How much can you press with your cheek muscles?

#19 mpstat

• 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

FlexEffect - is the most comprehensive, and involved program. Bodybuilding principles applied to face, with a need to know and understand facial muscles.

[/size]

There are several cheek muscles, and I exercise them individually or in one instance as a group of three. Each time resistance applied I hold muscle contraction for six seconds with about ten repetitions. This is what recommended by FE.

#20 suspire

• 583 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

[/size]

There are several cheek muscles, and I exercise them individually or in one instance as a group of three. Each time resistance applied I hold muscle contraction for six seconds with about ten repetitions. This is what recommended by FE.

Okay, then. That was a more serious answer than I had expected to receive.

Well, if you post some before and after pictures, it might help us make a better determination on the validity of your statements.

#21 mpstat

• 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:19 PM

FlexEffect before/after pictues give a good idea about the results expected.

#22 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:59 AM

This is utterly pointless unless you get some form of numerical feedback. You naturally tense your facial muscles during maximal lifts anyway. There's no point doing this, seriously, they can't even grow that much.

#23 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

[/size]

Okay, then. That was a more serious answer than I had expected to receive.

LOL

#24 fawnie

• 25 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 01:52 AM

Caston,
Like mpstat, I have been doing facial exercises for a while and can tell you: He**....to the Yes! They do work! Those of us who do them believe and are beautiful. Let the rest scoff. That is all.

#25 mpstat

• 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:23 AM

Caston,
Like mpstat, I have been doing facial exercises for a while and can tell you: He**....to the Yes! They do work! Those of us who do them believe and are beautiful. Let the rest scoff. That is all.

Hi fawnie! :p Great to see you here, and thanks for the support! I have been a member of this forum for a while, but unlike EDS do not post much here.

Edited by mpstat, 19 February 2009 - 02:23 AM.

#26 fawnie

• 25 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:32 AM

Caston,

Hi fawnie! :-D Great to see you here, and thanks for the support! I have been a member of this forum for a while, but unlike EDS do not post much here.

Mpstat!!! Hey! What about moving this discussion to "Skin Health" ?? They might be a little more receptive! What do you think?

#27 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:19 AM

Jack can tell you guys all you need to know

#28 mpstat

• 8 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:44 PM

Caston,

Hi fawnie! :-D Great to see you here, and thanks for the support! I have been a member of this forum for a while, but unlike EDS do not post much here.

Mpstat!!! Hey! What about moving this discussion to "Skin Health" ?? They might be a little more receptive! What do you think?

fawnie - I moved this discussion under Skin Health. http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=27915
Facial massage actually VERY relevant to skin health! :)

#29 caston

• Topic Starter
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

I'm happy this topic got bumped... but highly suspicious that Ashu is a spammer...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:24 AM

Facial exercises have been proven to be effective in the rehabilitation of persons who suffered some form of paralysis of the facial muscles. The right routine can strengthen at least certain muscles in the face. To the extent facial wrinkles are caused by atrophy of facial muscles, these exercises might be useful as a counter to wrinkles if performed regularly in volume at the right intensity. Might be. But don't do them where anyone else can see you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users