• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * - - - 7 votes

How we can dissipate the anger of angry atheists.

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#91 TheOtherIgor

• 10 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:00 PM

I'm an atheist. What annoys me is not being allowed to make a choice. If you state that you won't legistlatively (or worse) force your religious believes on everyone, you'll dissipate most of the anger.

The angry atheists are reacting out of free. What they're afraid more than anything isn't that you're crazy. Even if they say that's their primary fear, it's not. What they're afraid of is being forced to act out your religious beliefs. Your religious beliefs are fine if the rest of us are given the choice to opt out. Mixing religion with politics doesn't allow for that option.

#92 TheOtherIgor

• 10 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 06 November 2008 - 09:33 PM

Forgive my misspellings. I was late for a meeting. Here's a corrected version:

I'm an atheist. What annoys me is not being allowed to make a choice. If you state that you won't legislatively (or worse) force your religious beliefs on everyone, you'll dissipate most of the anger.

The angry atheists are reacting out of fear. What they're afraid more than anything isn't that you're crazy. Even if they say that's their primary fear, it's not. What they're afraid of is being forced to act out your religious beliefs. Your religious beliefs are fine if the rest of us are given the choice to opt out. Mixing religion with politics doesn't allow for that option.

#93 william7

• 1,777 posts
  • 17 â‚®

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:27 PM

1. The point about Mao I made above is that the killing he ordered was not done "in the name of atheism", as you claimed, since persons of religious faith were not specifically targeted.

You're saying Mao is off the hook because his killings were not done under a banner of atheism with religious people as the only target. Religious people in power who claim to believe in a supernatural deity, also have other agendas when they kill. Seizing and maintaining power with all of its privileges and pleasures usually being the main reasons. I can't see the difference here.

Communism is not necessarily tantamount to atheism, and its adherents do not need to accept every word written by Marx as absolute truth.

This is true.

The Buddhist faith was sheltered and encouraged by Mao, for a time and to an extent.

The Buddhist faith in what? Not all Buddhists believe in a personal god. I've been looking around to find something on whether Mao was an atheist or not, but can't seem to find anything. I suspect he was and that he admired the Buddhist religion because of its absence of a supernatural god. Many of your atheists here at Imminst favor Buddhism for this reason. More rational they say.

In Mao's case, we cannot say because he was an atheist, therefore he took the lives of others.

We can say he did it for reasons of power and prestige just like those who did it under the banner of a claimed religious belief. We can also say that those who have killed and tortured to obtain power and prestige were not practicing the teachings of Yahshua (Jesus) as clearly stated in the Bible. Do you agree?

But that cause and effect relationship is clearly there for the Muslim terrorists responsible for 9/11

I have to agree. It does appear to be there for the Muslim terrorists.

Or for what the Christian Crusaders did to the Muslims, long before.

I disagree. These were Catholic Crusaders, not Christians, and I think their leadership had a big interest in conquest of territory as well as the power and prestige to be gained from the crusades.

Savage repression of dissent is common to most authoritarian regimes throughout history, irrespective of their guiding ideology. Contrast this with the historic barbaric treatment of religious objectors by theocracies, where the killings were not ordered because they were necessary to hold onto power, but rather in service to their religious faith.

In many cases, where you may think the killings were in the service of religious faith, they were, in fact, done for other underlying reasons if you look closely. Some of it was done out of sheer sadistic abuse of authority. The strong ones are admired and the weak ones stimulate them.

2. "In His eyesight you're a criminal deserving death."

And in your eyes, as well. I believe you have the distinction of being the only poster on these forums who has ever calmly, seriously claimed that certain other posters deserved to be executed.

I was in the same position myself. I'm not authorized to mete out any punishments. I'm only permitted to explain the Scriptures to others, be a good example of an obedient servant who has repented of his serious sins deserving death, and helping others to change their ways so they don't suffer the consequences of sin. You can also suffer an early death in a natural or unnatural way as a result of your sin without being directly executed by Yahweh.

Hopefully you'll never see yourself being empowered as an instrument of His will tasked with carrying out His commandments. Or perhaps you already do.

Highly unlikely. There is, however, something in Malachi 4:2-3 about trampling down the wicked and them being ashes under the soles of our feet. :) If you read the whole chapter, it seems like global warming will be the mode of execution.

#94 william7

• 1,777 posts
  • 17 â‚®

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:41 AM

By the way, are you suggesting that all athiests have bad hearts and want corruption and violence in the world? Because I find that insulting.

Right now, if you are an atheist, you are not obedient to Yahweh's law. You do not keep His Sabbaths and Holy Days or worship Him in anyway. In His eyesight you're a criminal deserving death. You still, however, have the opportunity to repent and change course. This is what I hope and pray that you do, so you can enter life as Yahshua put it because you're not living a full or complete life until you've become obedient to the commandments. Matthew 19:17.

No being with a will to live deserves to die. Why would you want a leader who kills people just for disagreeing with Him?

If by His killing wicked people who refuse to repent and change their ways prevents them from harming others in the future, I'm all for it. Yahweh and Yahshua want to protect their sheep from the wolves.

#95 william7

• 1,777 posts
  • 17 â‚®

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:10 AM

Terrorists just take it one step further and decide to do it themselves

It's not just a small step. It's a very large and significant step. Muslim terrorists are in a category all their own.

just as christians did with the crusades and in the inquisition times

Those were Catholics, not Christians, acting without authority to do so.

It's all caused by religion...

It's all caused by satan.

#96 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts
  • 2 â‚®

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:35 AM

And satan is a manifestation of god. In the end, the whole universe, heaven, hell and everything exists in a small television set that god watches.
To say god has limits (is not infinite, not omnipresent, etc) defeats the purpose of calling him god. To say that that he is limitless renders the whole
universe a useless creation that if god wanted could make disappear in a nanosecond. Think about it (something theists rarely do). If whom this being
you believe in is limited - confined by some sort of restrictions that are beyond his control, than he is not really God. It may have created this universe
and it may play some role in governing this universe but it itself is part of an even bigger universe. It could easily be an 8 year old alien programmer
who decided to test out its creative imagination. However, if this being you believe in is indeed truly limitless, all powerful and infinite - confined by
nothing, then this universe is meaningless. By logic you have a problem. One is that a infinitely powerful being would also mean its intelligence is
also infinitely large - beyond measure. We would serve no meaningful purpose, if it already knows everything and can do anything. We would have
nothing to contribute to it. There are many, many paradox's, loop holes, fallacies, etc with religion. It serves one and only one purpose and that is
purely for the self. If a theist can not see that then there is no point in talking or debating. Though you could technically debate the idea of this being
if it has limits, ie it's part of another system. Then yes, we could easily begin to form friendly dialog, though my immediate interest would be to become
more powerful than that being and evolve to a level of existence never previously imagined. I love transhumanism ... :)

#97 TianZi

• 519 posts
  • -0 â‚®

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:11 PM

A few things.

1. Regarding Buddhism, there are two primary variants practiced today: Hinayana (lesser vehicle) and Mahayana (greater vehicle). This is from memory, so my spelling may be off. The Hinayana school is most similar to what Siddhartha Gautama Buddha taught, with extinction of the individual soul and its merger with the universe being the goal. The Mahayana form is more popular, and is the form more often practiced in East Asia today. The goal here is to become a Buddha, which is a soul so enlightened that it has escaped the cycle of rebirth. There are numerous subvariants of the Mahayana branch.

2. Regarding the nature of godhood, it is really only the Christian, Muslim and Jewish faiths that posit a God who is truly all-powerful and without limits. The earliest Middle Eastern dualistic faith, Zoroastrianism, posited the existence of a god of good/light (Ahura-Mazda) and a god of darkness/evil (Ahriman), with roughly equivalent power. Of course the polytheistic ("pagan") faiths featuring pantheons of gods (Roman, Greek, Norse, Sumerian, etc.) set specific limits on their deities. This is also true with the one remaining polytheistic faith with a widespread practice today, Hinduism.

If you have read Kurzweil's The Singularity is Near, he posits that the destiny of mankind, if it does not destroy itself, is a merged consciousness that extends to the limits of the universe, which is for all practical purposes a kind of "godhood". If some alien species achieved the singularity a million or more years ago, they today individually / collectively could be considered a "god" or "gods", I suppose. If we exist as autonomous AI agents in software on a computer under the control of an advanced race existing outside our "software universe", the ability of the computer's controller to due anything up to shutting down the simulation and ending our existence would effectively make the computer controller a kind of "god", at least vis a vis us (this rather bizarre theory is described in some detail in Kurzweil's book, and is posited as not unlikely by at least one member of Oxford's Philosophy Dept.).

I think the extent to which one considers oneself an atheist depends on how one defines "God". Personally, I am agnostic. I think there is no utility in troubling myself as to whether some omniscient / omnipotent/ omnipresent being or beings, or things possessing power that approximates this, exist(s).

I judge the worth of a religion not as to whether or not it is "right", but rather its impact on individuals, societies and the larger world. Although most religion breeds intolerance (with Buddhists being a rather significant exception, since one of the enumerated eight cardinal virtues of a Buddhist is Tolerance, with a capital "T"), it's a simple fact that religious persons tend to live longer, be "happier", etc. I do believe the world would be a more tolerant, peaceful place if we could somehow wave a wand and transform all the Christians, Muslims, Jews and Hindus into devout Buddhists. As a long-time resident of Taiwan, a country in which approx. 90% of the population identifies itself as Buddhist (although the vast majority are not devout--it's far more difficult to be a devout Buddhist than a devout Christian, if for no other reason than the necessity of being a strict vegetarian and so pacifistic that even taking the life of an ant is to be avoided), I find it fascinating how much less violent crime there is here as opposed to the US, etc. It is also a faith that largely finds no conflict between itself and scientific inquiry, which is not the case with fundamentalist Christians, etc.

#98 william7

• 1,777 posts
  • 17 â‚®

Posted 07 November 2008 - 12:13 PM

If you state that you won't legislatively (or worse) force your religious beliefs on everyone, you'll dissipate most of the anger.

I can definitely promise you I won't legislatively force my religious beliefs on anyone. However, Yahweh (God) does promise that He will eventually instill His laws into the hearts and minds of everyone. Hebrews 10:16; Ezekiel 11:19-20; Jeremiah 31:33-34. Eventually, the knowledge of the Lord will fill the earth as the waters cover the sea. Isaiah 11:9.

#99 sumphilosopheô

• 16 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

Terrorists just take it one step further and decide to do it themselves

It's not just a small step. It's a very large and significant step. Muslim terrorists are in a category all their own.

just as christians did with the crusades and in the inquisition times

Those were Catholics, not Christians, acting without authority to do so.

It is caused by ignorance or denial of what Christ taught Christians - nonviolence. The N.T. does not teach Christians to be warriors. Wise as serpants and harmless as doves...Put your sword back in its place...

Love the Lord your God with all your heart with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it.. love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

There is no fear in love perfect love casts out fear because fear involves punishment and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love because he first loved us. If someone says I love God and hates his brother he is a liar for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him that the one who loves God should love his brother also.

You have heard that it was said love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

If someone strikes you on one cheek turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Love your enemies do good to those who hate you bless those who curse you pray for those who mistreat you.

You have heard that it was said eye for eye and tooth for tooth. But I tell you --> do not resist an evil person. <-- If someone strikes you on the right cheek turn to him the other also.

Why do you call me Lord Lord and do not do what I say?

If you love me you will obey my teachings.

If you follow my teachings then you are my disciples indeed.

If you want to enter life obey my teachings.

I tell you the truth if anyone follows my teachings he will never see death.

As for God and Satan....they only exist in peoples heads. They do not exist. Many Christians worship themselves and God is merely their handpuppet. Then there are the Christians that do not excercise critical thinking in their spirituality and readings of the bible....those that actually read the damn thing that is.

:)

#100 sumphilosopheô

• 16 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:13 PM

"How we can dissipate the anger of angry atheists."

When I'm angry very expensive chocolate does the trick for me most of the time. Send me chocolate.

#101 william7

• 1,777 posts
  • 17 â‚®

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

As for God and Satan....they only exist in peoples heads. They do not exist.

I thought you were a believer so this took me by surprise. Live and learn I guess.

#102 sumphilosopheô

• 16 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 07 November 2008 - 02:44 PM

As for God and Satan....they only exist in peoples heads. They do not exist.

I thought you were a believer so this took me by surprise. Live and learn I guess.

I was a believer. I guess you could call me a cultural Christian that is pissed off at religion. I would really prefer everyone not believe in God but I don't push it. Besides there are theists in my life that I love very much. I can't change people individuals must do that themselves and so I 'try' to love.

I kinda like Christians that actually love Jesus. Belief in afterlife makes me morry a bit as far as life-extension goes but theistlike you give me hope.

#103 william7

• 1,777 posts
  • 17 â‚®

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:07 PM

And satan is a manifestation of god.

Satan is a fallen angel. True, Yahweh created the angels, but He didn't cause satan to fall. Satan had free will and chose to rebel against Yahweh. See Did God Create the Devil?, at http://www.gnmagazin...atethedevil.htm.

To say god has limits (is not infinite, not omnipresent, etc) defeats the purpose of calling him god.

Can you tell me where it says Yahweh is omnipresent with infinite or limitless powers. The impression I've gotten from studying the Scriptures is that Yahweh is very great and powerful, but that He probably has some limits on what He can and can not do. This would be why He doesn't just instantly make us perfect. He must make us perfect according to the processes He's established which requires time and effort as opposed to instantaneity.

Paul in 1 Corinthians 1:25 suggests Yahweh has limitations where he says:

For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.

I would never put it this way myself. I don't believe Yahweh has any foolishness or weakness about Him. Limitations or boundaries that He more than likely established Himself for this project would be a better way to put it in my opinion.

It could easily be an 8 year old alien programmer who decided to test out its creative imagination.

I saw that Star Trek program way back when. I think it was called "Child's Play." The unseen alien child had the Enterprise in his grasp in a most threatening way, but the child's parents came along and made him let the ship go. The parents apologized to captain Kirk and the crew.

If whom this being you believe in is limited - confined by some sort of restrictions that are beyond his control, than he is not really God.

His name isn't God. It's Yahweh, the creator of the heavens and the earth and everything living. He's also the author of the Bible.

though my immediate interest would be to become more powerful than that being and evolve to a level of existence never previously imagined. I love transhumanism ...

Wouldn't that be transGodism? I think that's what satan tried to do. You should be satisfied with just conquering death, pain and suffering, and living a happy life on earth with Yahweh as prophesied. Revelation 21:3-4.

#104 william7

• 1,777 posts
  • 17 â‚®

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:18 PM

I think the extent to which one considers oneself an atheist depends on how one defines "God". Personally, I am agnostic. I think there is no utility in troubling myself as to whether some omniscient / omnipotent/ omnipresent being or beings, or things possessing power that approximates this, exist(s).

This is a grand mistake! If such a being exists and has a plan for giving humans immortality if they follow the guidelines of the plan, I would think you would want to know about it so you could obtain the necessary guidance. You've put a great limitation on your thinking and scope of inquiry. Don't do it to yourself!

I do believe the world would be a more tolerant, peaceful place if we could somehow wave a wand and transform all the Christians, Muslims, Jews and Hindus into devout Buddhists.

How about transforming them into true practitioners of what the Bible actually says instead? The Bible has a much better program for obtaining immortality than Buddhism. The Bible has the material necessary for transforming the world into a whole new culture of people dedicated to obtaining immortality.

it's far more difficult to be a devout Buddhist than a devout Christian, if for no other reason than the necessity of being a strict vegetarian and so pacifistic that even taking the life of an ant is to be avoided

The Bible advocates vegetarianism and points to the day where everyone will be vegetarian. See Genesis 1:29-31; Daniel 1:8-16; Isaiah 11:6-9; 65:25; Hosea 2:18, and the Christian Vegetarian Association.

I find it fascinating how much less violent crime there is here as opposed to the US, etc. It is also a faith that largely finds no conflict between itself and scientific inquiry, which is not the case with fundamentalist Christians, etc.

True Christianity is currently in its infancy. We've been under the domination of Satan's Counterfeit Christianity for quite a long time and are just beginning to get on our feet.

The Twelve Tribes is doing a pretty good job of representing true Christianity and exposing false Christianity. They're living the closest to the Acts Church model I've seen so far. Did you see my thread on the Twelve Tribes at http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=23104?

#105 william7

• 1,777 posts
  • 17 â‚®

Posted 08 November 2008 - 04:40 PM

It is caused by ignorance or denial of what Christ taught Christians - nonviolence. The N.T. does not teach Christians to be warriors. Wise as serpants and harmless as doves...Put your sword back in its place...

Love the Lord your God with all your heart with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it.. love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

There is no fear in love perfect love casts out fear because fear involves punishment and the one who fears is not perfected in love. We love because he first loved us. If someone says I love God and hates his brother he is a liar for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen. And this commandment we have from him that the one who loves God should love his brother also.

You have heard that it was said love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I tell you love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

If someone strikes you on one cheek turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Love your enemies do good to those who hate you bless those who curse you pray for those who mistreat you.

You have heard that it was said eye for eye and tooth for tooth. But I tell you --> do not resist an evil person. <-- If someone strikes you on the right cheek turn to him the other also.

Why do you call me Lord Lord and do not do what I say?

If you love me you will obey my teachings.

If you follow my teachings then you are my disciples indeed.

If you want to enter life obey my teachings.

I tell you the truth if anyone follows my teachings he will never see death.

Exactly what I believe and try to practice the best I can. These are the blocks for building the type of character necessary to live out immortal lives in peace and harmony. It can't be done any other way.

#106 william7

• 1,777 posts
  • 17 â‚®

Posted 08 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

I was a believer. I guess you could call me a cultural Christian that is pissed off at religion. I would really prefer everyone not believe in God but I don't push it. Besides there are theists in my life that I love very much. I can't change people individuals must do that themselves and so I 'try' to love.

Kinda like Thomas Paine's thinking I guess without actually believing Yahweh exists. http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=275727. I think when Yahshua returns He will not have a problem with people like you. You, and other atheists of a similar bent, will more than likely find yourself all of a sudden knowing of Yahweh's existence (not merely believing) and coming to the realization you've been practicing true Christianity all along.

I kinda like Christians that actually love Jesus. Belief in afterlife makes me morry a bit as far as life-extension goes but theistlike you give me hope.

When true Christianity takes off big time all your worries in regards to life-extension will disappear. You'll see that the practice of true Christianity will make radical life-extension possible.

#107 cyborgdreamer

• 735 posts
  • 204 â‚®

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:41 PM

By the way, are you suggesting that all athiests have bad hearts and want corruption and violence in the world? Because I find that insulting.

Right now, if you are an atheist, you are not obedient to Yahweh's law. You do not keep His Sabbaths and Holy Days or worship Him in anyway. In His eyesight you're a criminal deserving death. You still, however, have the opportunity to repent and change course. This is what I hope and pray that you do, so you can enter life as Yahshua put it because you're not living a full or complete life until you've become obedient to the commandments. Matthew 19:17.

No being with a will to live deserves to die. Why would you want a leader who kills people just for disagreeing with Him?

If by His killing wicked people who refuse to repent and change their ways prevents them from harming others in the future, I'm all for it. Yahweh and Yahshua want to protect their sheep from the wolves.

How does it hurt people not believe in God or keep the Sabbath?

though my immediate interest would be to become more powerful than that being and evolve to a level of existence never previously imagined. I love transhumanism ...

Wouldn't that be transGodism? I think that's what satan tried to do. You should be satisfied with just conquering death, pain and suffering, and living a happy life on earth with Yahweh as prophesied. Revelation 21:3-4.

If God existed, I would hope He wouldn't keep us limited against our will.

#108 sumphilosopheô

• 16 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 08 November 2008 - 11:59 PM

Kinda like Thomas Paine's thinking I guess without actually believing Yahweh exists. http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=275727. I think when Yahshua returns He will not have a problem with people like you. You, and other atheists of a similar bent, will more than likely find yourself all of a sudden knowing of Yahweh's existence (not merely believing) and coming to the realization you've been practicing true Christianity all along.

'IF' Jesus comes back in my lifetime 'then' I will believe again. Yes. I don't think that is going to happen though. hehe.

Its funny, most atheists that I know who come from pacifist Christians 'tend' to be somewhat loyal despite disagreements and maybe a few resentments for being shunned a 'little' bit. But then some are shunned as is in 'shunned' shunned. It depends on the kinds of Christians. Different kinds of Christianity has different kinds of problems. Theism gets me down in ways, but I try to treat the bible fairly. I try to treat Jesus fairly even if I disagree with him on some things. I do not like everything I read in the bible now that I have new eyes.

When true Christianity takes off big time all your worries in regards to life-extension will disappear. You'll see that the practice of true Christianity will make radical life-extension possible.

Some Christians want nothing to do with the gov and want to be left alone to bring people to Christ through good works. WITHOUT.. ANY.. governments. There is no violence or coercion... i.e. laws...in the New Testament model for congregation/church/Christs great commission. Christians do not coerce nonbelievers or believers. People obey God of their own free will. Christian values are by choice. "The kings of the gentiles lord it over them and those who exercise authority over them call themselves benefactors. But you are not to be like that." --->"My kingdom is not of this world."<--- Jesus was NOT a filthy politician! He did not do politics! And everytime Christians get creative or invent lustful and self seeking ideologies suffering and death follows....which is Christanities history. If the baptists and others want Jesus in America I and others will rub thier idiot noses in Christ! They make my people look bad! We are tired of it!

As far as Christianity and technology goes lets face it. Miracles are not forthcomming and so if there is only enough faith that we are saved what does that leave us in being good samaritans? Technology. Haha! :~

There are NO heresies in Free Thought. I love annoying other free thinkers 'sometimes' hehe.

I love gospel music still.

Haha!

#109 suspire

• 583 posts
  • 10 â‚®

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:29 AM

Christians can dissipate the anger of angry atheists very simply. In fact, I'll outline a few possible solutions:

1) Stop believing in God and become atheists.
2) Stop believing in God and become Buddhists. Historically, Buddhists are less prone to religious-based violence, or religious-based political decisions, especially involving science.
3) Stop becoming involved in politics and science.
4) And if all else fails, if you need to still believe in God, and you also need to become involved in politics and science, at least leave your religious beliefs at the door when you become involved in the latter two activities.

Do any one of the above (especially #1) and I am sure many atheists will surely come around.

#110 sumphilosopheô

• 16 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:49 AM

Christians can dissipate the anger of angry atheists very simply. In fact, I'll outline a few possible solutions:

1) Stop believing in God and become atheists.
2) Stop believing in God and become Buddhists. Historically, Buddhists are less prone to religious-based violence, or religious-based political decisions, especially involving science.
3) Stop becoming involved in politics and science.
4) And if all else fails, if you need to still believe in God, and you also need to become involved in politics and science, at least leave your religious beliefs at the door when you become involved in the latter two activities.

Do any one of the above (especially #1) and I am sure many atheists will surely come around.

That and some expensive chocolates!

:~

#111 william7

• 1,777 posts
  • 17 â‚®

Posted 09 November 2008 - 11:50 AM

How does it hurt people not believe in God or keep the Sabbath?

Meditating and practicing Yahweh's perfect law brings freedom and great blessings to those who do so. See, for example, Pslam 1:2; Proverb 29:18; Matthew 5:19; James 1:25. Here are links to two excellent booklets that explain Yahweh's law and the Sabbath. http://www.gnmagazine.org/booklets/TC/ and http://www.gnmagazine.org/booklets/SS/. A long, healthy, and happy life are products of keeping the law.

If God existed, I would hope He wouldn't keep us limited against our will.

He'll give us just what we need and no more.

#112 TianZi

• 519 posts
  • -0 â‚®

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:32 PM

the ability of the computer's controller to due anything

Ack, what a terrible typo. Seems I need to up the daily dose of gingko and vinpocetine. Constantly thinking one thing and typing another. Homonyms in particular are becoming problematic as I enter middle age.

Anyway, obviously I meant to type the word "do".

Edited by TianZi, 10 November 2008 - 12:33 PM.

#113 medicineman

• 750 posts
  • 125 â‚®

Posted 15 November 2008 - 03:29 PM

0 people killed in the name of atheism in history

You must of never heard of the horrendous death toll, imprisonment and torture caused by the Marxist atheists such as Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot, etc.

over 800 million killed in the name of religion in history

In the name of false religion those people were killed. The true religion of the Bible teaches nonviolence, peace, justice and mercy.

mr. elijah3, you seem to have your details a bit off. Stalin was not a Marxist. Nor was Zedong. Let me explain so you can understand. I am not looking anything up and copying and pasting, so what im saying is not infallible, but from what I understand, I have the basic concept nailed in the head.

The doctrine of Marxism is based on dialectical materialism, and historical realism. What these two things are, they explain how relationships develop among the simplest things, such as atoms, and goes on to show the similarities among the power relationships that micromolecules exhibit, and that we exhibit. This moves on to explain the fact that change occurs constantly. Quoting trotsky:

"The Aristotelian logic of the simple syllogism starts from the proposition that 'A' is equal to 'A'. This postulate is accepted as an axiom for a multitude of practical human actions and elementary generalisations. But in reality 'A' is not equal to 'A'. This is easy to prove if we observe these two letters under a lens—they are quite different from each other. But, one can object, the question is not of the size or the form of the letters, since they are only symbols for equal quantities, for instance, a pound of sugar. The objection is beside the point; in reality a pound of sugar is never equal to a pound of sugar—a more delicate scale always discloses a difference. Again one can object: but a pound of sugar is equal to itself. Neither is this true—all bodies change uninterruptedly in size, weight, colour, etc. They are never equal to themselves. A sophist will respond that a pound of sugar is equal to itself "at any given moment". Aside from the extremely dubious practical value of this "axiom", it does not withstand theoretical criticism either. How should we really conceive the word "moment"? If it is an infinitesimal interval of time, then a pound of sugar is subjected during the course of that "moment" to inevitable changes. Or is the "moment" a purely mathematical abstraction, that is, a zero of time? But everything exists in time; and existence itself is an uninterrupted process of transformation; time is consequently a fundamental element of existence. Thus the axiom 'A' is equal to 'A' signifies that a thing is equal to itself if it does not change, that is, if it does not exist."

As you see, from the above quote, you can get a grip of what dialectics is. It is based on constant change, whether on the biological scale, like Darwin has proven, or social scale, as history has proven. And now with capitalism about to take a major dive, looks like something is about to change, and I don't mean it in the Obama style.

Let us leave speculation behind, but yea, we have, thanks to the brilliant idea of descent with modification, explained how we came to be. But thanks to the concepts of scientific socialism, we understand how power relationships develop. How one group starts to take control, while the other is exploited. The greatest thinkers in mankind were part of the idle owners of the means of production. Darwin, Einstein, heck, even us. We are typing our opinions on a global web of connections, that anyone with access to a computer, most likely idle people like us, can see.

Marx postulated based on vigorous research how history of mankind has followed a similar path, for example, from a tribal commune, where everyone lived in small groups, and everything was shared among the group to maximize reciprocation, and survival for each one (each by acting selfishly of course, i am in no way supporting the group selection theory). Archeological evidence, has shown us that with the movement of time, people experienced natural disasters, and unexplained phenomena from nature. They needed something to connect that phenomena to. Hence, animism, or gods in the form of animals were created. Than monks, or witch doctors, basically people who can contact, and manipulate nature appeared. But that still doesn't explain marxist theory. Until we get to agriculture.

Let us define agriculture, the world is derived from agri which mean field, and cultura= which means cultivation. The word cultura, derived from cultus, where we get the word cult from. Basically it was more or less, a worship of the ground. A worship of nature, hence once again, there were people who manipulated nature with their mysticism, and there were the poor peons working the fields. With agriculture came something that changed the history of mankind.. Excess food, and idleness. With excess food, class divisions started to appear immediately, and hence capital became a driving force for more work. And with idleness, came thinking. People like Plato, aristotle, Muhammad, Maimonides, and so on. And about those monks, well, they just changed shapes over the time of history. They were witch doctors, they were monks, priests, or whatever you want to call them wherever you went. With class division, came hierarchies and power. The religious and the powerful, or the owners of means of production, united, each to secure their own behinds. One would help the other, and vice versa.

Now to follow history, the divisions grew more and more. Suddenly there were kings in the forms of gods messengers. There were prophets, there were divinely ordained kings, there were rulers, warlords, and on the other hand, there were slaves, serfs, laborers. These prophets and these lords worked in a vicious cycle. The religious leader preached to the people about the importance of not being idle, the importance of following rules, and one very important point, which to this day haunts the poor. THAT IF YOU WORK, AND FOLLOW THE RULES THAT GOD GAVE US, THE AFTERLIFE WILL MAKE UP FOR THE MISERY OF THIS LIFE. And the powerful owners of the means of production benefit from the religious people, and the poor peons work and work, in order to secure a place in their paradise. Marx said "religion is the opiate of the masses"

Now time and time again, some bright people tend to stand and fight the order, but religion always captured the imaginations of the majority. The same people who were getting shafted again and again by the same order they supported (the same with southern americans voting for the republicans, while the republicans continually shaft them over and over.)

Just a brief overview, on what happened, serfs and lords, with colonialism and imperialism, and than after several revolutions and uprisings, we have the owners of the means of production, and the workers, and colonialism and imperialism being slowly replaced with globalism. basically the people who screw bolts in all their lives, and the people who sit back and enjoy the sweat of the bolt screwers.

Lenin, and Zedong have dogmatized marxism hence you get Leninism. Marx didnt propose a solution, and if he did, he made mistakes trying to predict the future, but he never advocated mass murder and the idea of the Great Leap Forward, or the Red Purge. Lenin saw Russia as a behind country, and Marx has postulated that only a capitalist country can advance through a class struggle. Lenin changed that doctrine into one we now call leninism. Basically installation of a social revolution, in a country that is not developed. As we seen, that would never work, unless you do what Stalin did, and murder 60 million people. Now Stalin, to call him Marxist, that is no where near the truth. Stalin was a leninist-fascist. He had no ideals, he was a paranoid schizophrenic hellbent on mass murder and genocide.

Stalinism and Maoism is as much a religion as christianity and islam. One is not anymore false than the other. All show us ways to live a 'better life', and secure a better afterlife, or in the case of stalinism and maoism, a 'leap forward to mankind'.

And for the people living in an imaginary world, thinking everything is getting better. Here are some facts.. This is for you Mr. Elijah, This is how much your god loves his children.

• At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day.Source 1
  • More than 80 percent of the world's population lives in countries where income differentials are widening.Source 2
  • The poorest 40 percent of the world's population accounts for 5 percent of global income. The richest 20 percent accounts for three-quarters of world income.Source 3
  • According to UNICEF, 26,500-30,000 children die each day due to poverty. And they "die quietly in some of the poorest villages on earth, far removed from the scrutiny and the conscience of the world. Being meek and weak in life makes these dying multitudes even more invisible in death."Source 4
  • Around 27-28 percent of all children in developing countries are estimated to be underweight or stunted. The two regions that account for the bulk of the deficit are South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.

If current trends continue, the Millennium Development Goals target of halving the proportion of underweight children will be missed by 30 million children, largely because of slow progress in Southern Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.Source 5
  • Based on enrolment data, about 72 million children of primary school age in the developing world were not in school in 2005; 57 per cent of them were girls. And these are regarded as optimisitic numbers.Source 6
  • Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names.Source 7
  • Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn't happen.Source 8
  • Infectious diseases continue to blight the lives of the poor across the world. An estimated 40 million people are living with HIV/AIDS, with 3 million deaths in 2004. Every year there are 350–500 million cases of malaria, with 1 million fatalities: Africa accounts for 90 percent of malarial deaths and African children account for over 80 percent of malaria victims worldwide.Source 9
  • Water problems affect half of humanity:

• Some 1.1 billion people in developing countries have inadequate access to water, and 2.6 billion lack basic sanitation.
    • Almost two in three people lacking access to clean water survive on less than $2 a day, with one in three living on less than $1 a day.
    • More than 660 million people without sanitation live on less than $2 a day, and more than 385 million on less than $1 a day.
    • Access to piped water into the household averages about 85% for the wealthiest 20% of the population, compared with 25% for the poorest 20%.
    • 1.8 billion people who have access to a water source within 1 kilometre, but not in their house or yard, consume around 20 litres per day. In the United Kingdom the average person uses more than 50 litres of water a day flushing toilets (where average daily water usage is about 150 liters a day. The highest average water use in the world is in the US, at 600 liters day.)
    • Some 1.8 million child deaths each year as a result of diarrhoea
    • The loss of 443 million school days each year from water-related illness.
    • Close to half of all people in developing countries suffering at any given time from a health problem caused by water and sanitation deficits.
    • Millions of women spending several hours a day collecting water.
    • To these human costs can be added the massive economic waste associated with the water and sanitation deficit.… The costs associated with health spending, productivity losses and labour diversions … are greatest in some of the poorest countries. Sub-Saharan Africa loses about 5% of GDP, or some $28.4 billion annually, a figure that exceeds total aid flows and debt relief to the region in 2003.Source 10
  • Number of children in the world2.2 billionNumber in poverty1 billion (every second child)Shelter, safe water and healthFor the 1.9 billion children from the developing world, there are:

• 640 million without adequate shelter (1 in 3)
    • 400 million with no access to safe water (1 in 5)
    • 270 million with no access to health services (1 in 7)
    Children out of education worldwide121 millionSurvival for childrenWorldwide,

• 10.6 million died in 2003 before they reached the age of 5 (same as children population in France, Germany, Greece and Italy)
    • 1.4 million die each year from lack of access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation
    Health of childrenWorldwide,

• 2.2 million children die each year because they are not immunized
    • 15 million children orphaned due to HIV/AIDS (similar to the total children population in Germany or United Kingdom)
    Source 11
  • Rural areas account for three in every four people living on less than US$1 a day and a similar share of the world population suffering from malnutrition. However, urbanization is not synonymous with human progress. Urban slum growth is outpacing urban growth by a wide margin.Source 12
  • Approximately half the world's population now live in cities and towns. In 2005, one out of three urban dwellers (approximately 1 billion people) was living in slum conditions.Source 13
  • In developing countries some 2.5 billion people are forced to rely on biomass—fuelwood, charcoal and animal dung—to meet their energy needs for cooking. In sub-Saharan Africa, over 80 percent of the population depends on traditional biomass for cooking, as do over half of the populations of India and China.Source 14
  • Indoor air pollution resulting from the use of solid fuels [by poorer segments of society] is a major killer. It claims the lives of 1.5 million people each year, more than half of them below the age of five: that is 4000 deaths a day. To put this number in context, it exceeds total deaths from malaria and rivals the number of deaths from tuberculosis.Source 15
  • In 2005, the wealthiest 20% of the world accounted for 76.6% of total private consumption. The poorest fifth just 1.5%:

Posted Image

The poorest 10% accounted for just 0.5% and the wealthiest 10% accounted for 59% of all the consumption:

Posted ImageSource 16
  • 1.6 billion people — a quarter of humanity — live without electricity:

Breaking that down further:

Number of people living without electricityRegionMillions without electricitySouth Asia706Sub-Saharan Africa547East Asia224Other101
  • The GDP (Gross Domestic Product) of the 41 Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (567 million people) is less than the wealth of the world's 7 richest people combined.Source 18
  • World gross domestic product (world population approximately 6.5 billion) in 2006 was $48.2 trillion in 2006.

• The world's wealthiest countries (approximately 1 billion people) accounted for $36.6 trillion dollars (76%).
    • The world's billionaires — just 497 people (approximately 0.000008% of the world's population) — were worth $3.5 trillion (over 7% of world GDP).
    • Low income countries (2.4 billion people) accounted for just $1.6 trillion of GDP (3.3%)
    • Middle income countries (3 billion people) made up the rest of GDP at just over $10 trillion (20.7%).Source 19
  • The world's low income countries (2.4 billion people) account for just 2.4% of world exportsSource 20
  • The total wealth of the top 8.3 million people around the world "rose 8.2 percent to $30.8 trillion in 2004, giving them control of nearly a quarter of the world's financial assets."

In other words, about 0.13% of the world's population controlled 25% of the world's financial assets in 2004.Source 21
  • For every $1 in aid a developing country receives, over $25 is spent on debt repayment.Source 22
  • 51 percent of the world's 100 hundred wealthiest bodies are corporations.Source 23
  • The wealthiest nation on Earth has the widest gap between rich and poor of any industrialized nation.Source 24
  • The poorer the country, the more likely it is that debt repayments are being extracted directly from people who neither contracted the loans nor received any of the money.Source 25
  • In 1960, the 20% of the world's people in the richest countries had 30 times the income of the poorest 20% — in 1997, 74 times as much.Source 26
  • An analysis of long-term trends shows the distance between the richest and poorest countries was about:

• 3 to 1 in 1820
    • 11 to 1 in 1913
    • 35 to 1 in 1950
    • 44 to 1 in 1973
    • 72 to 1 in 1992Source 27
  • "Approximately 790 million people in the developing world are still chronically undernourished, almost two-thirds of whom reside in Asia and the Pacific."Source 28
  • For economic growth and almost all of the other indicators, the last 20 years [of the current form of globalization, from 1980 - 2000] have shown a very clear decline in progress as compared with the previous two decades [1960 - 1980]. For each indicator, countries were divided into five roughly equal groups, according to what level the countries had achieved by the start of the period (1960 or 1980). Among the findings:

• Growth: The fall in economic growth rates was most pronounced and across the board for all groups or countries.
    • Life Expectancy: Progress in life expectancy was also reduced for 4 out of the 5 groups of countries, with the exception of the highest group (life expectancy 69-76 years).
    • Infant and Child Mortality: Progress in reducing infant mortality was also considerably slower during the period of globalization (1980-1998) than over the previous two decades.
    • Education and literacy: Progress in education also slowed during the period of globalization.Source 29
  • A mere 12 percent of the world's population uses 85 percent of its water, and these 12 percent do not live in the Third World.Source 30
  • Consider the global priorities in spending in 1998

Global Priority$U.S. BillionsCosmetics in the United States8Ice cream in Europe11Perfumes in Europe and the United States12Pet foods in Europe and the United States17Business entertainment in Japan35Cigarettes in Europe50Alcoholic drinks in Europe105Narcotics drugs in the world400Military spending in the world780And compare that to what was estimated as additional costs to achieve universal access to basic social services in all developing countries:

Global Priority$U.S. BillionsBasic education for all6Water and sanitation for all9Reproductive health for all women12Basic health and nutrition13Source 31
Notes and Sources

Edited by medicineman, 15 November 2008 - 03:46 PM.

#114 sumphilosopheô

• 16 posts
  • 0 â‚®

Posted 16 November 2008 - 05:24 AM

0 people killed in the name of atheism in history

You must of never heard of the horrendous death toll, imprisonment and torture caused by the Marxist atheists such as Joseph Stalin, Mao Zedong, Pol Pot, etc.

over 800 million killed in the name of religion in history

In the name of false religion those people were killed. The true religion of the Bible teaches nonviolence, peace, justice and mercy.

mr. elijah3, you seem to have your details a bit off. Stalin was not a Marxist. Nor was Zedong. Let me explain so you can understand. I am not looking anything up and copying and pasting, so what im saying is not infallible, but from what I understand, I have the basic concept nailed in the head.

The doctrine of Marxism is based on dialectical materialism, and historical realism. What these two things are, they explain how relationships develop among the simplest things, such as atoms, and goes on to show the similarities among the power relationships that micromolecules exhibit, and that we exhibit. This moves on to explain the fact that change occurs constantly. Quoting trotsky:

"The Aristotelian logic of the simple syllogism starts from the proposition that 'A' is equal to 'A'. This postulate is accepted as an axiom for a multitude of practical human actions and elementary generalisations. But in reality 'A' is not equal to 'A'. This is easy to prove if we observe these two letters under a lens—they are quite different from each other. But, one can object, the question is not of the size or the form of the letters, since they are only symbols for equal quantities, for instance, a pound of sugar. The objection is beside the point; in reality a pound of sugar is never equal to a pound of sugar—a more delicate scale always discloses a difference. Again one can object: but a pound of sugar is equal to itself. Neither is this true—all bodies change uninterruptedly in size, weight, colour, etc. They are never equal to themselves. A sophist will respond that a pound of sugar is equal to itself "at any given moment". Aside from the extremely dubious practical value of this "axiom", it does not withstand theoretical criticism either. How should we really conceive the word "moment"? If it is an infinitesimal interval of time, then a pound of sugar is subjected during the course of that "moment" to inevitable changes. Or is the "moment" a purely mathematical abstraction, that is, a zero of time? But everything exists in time; and existence itself is an uninterrupted process of transformation; time is consequently a fundamental element of existence. Thus the axiom 'A' is equal to 'A' signifies that a thing is equal to itself if it does not change, that is, if it does not exist."

As you see, from the above quote, you can get a grip of what dialectics is. It is based on constant change, whether on the biological scale, like Darwin has proven, or social scale, as history has proven. And now with capitalism about to take a major dive, looks like something is about to change, and I don't mean it in the Obama style.

Let us leave speculation behind, but yea, we have, thanks to the brilliant idea of descent with modification, explained how we came to be. But thanks to the concepts of scientific socialism, we understand how power relationships develop. How one group starts to take control, while the other is exploited. The greatest thinkers in mankind were part of the idle owners of the means of production. Darwin, Einstein, heck, even us. We are typing our opinions on a global web of connections, that anyone with access to a computer, most likely idle people like us, can see.

Marx postulated based on vigorous research how history of mankind has followed a similar path, for example, from a tribal commune, where everyone lived in small groups, and everything was shared among the group to maximize reciprocation, and survival for each one (each by acting selfishly of course, i am in no way supporting the group selection theory). Archeological evidence, has shown us that with the movement of time, people experienced natural disasters, and unexplained phenomena from nature. They needed something to connect that phenomena to. Hence, animism, or gods in the form of animals were created. Than monks, or witch doctors, basically people who can contact, and manipulate nature appeared. But that still doesn't explain marxist theory. Until we get to agriculture.

Let us define agriculture, the world is derived from agri which mean field, and cultura= which means cultivation. The word cultura, derived from cultus, where we get the word cult from. Basically it was more or less, a worship of the ground. A worship of nature, hence once again, there were people who manipulated nature with their mysticism, and there were the poor peons working the fields. With agriculture came something that changed the history of mankind.. Excess food, and idleness. With excess food, class divisions started to appear immediately, and hence capital became a driving force for more work. And with idleness, came thinking. People like Plato, aristotle, Muhammad, Maimonides, and so on. And about those monks, well, they just changed shapes over the time of history. They were witch doctors, they were monks, priests, or whatever you want to call them wherever you went. With class division, came hierarchies and power. The religious and the powerful, or the owners of means of production, united, each to secure their own behinds. One would help the other, and vice versa.

Now to follow history, the divisions grew more and more. Suddenly there were kings in the forms of gods messengers. There were prophets, there were divinely ordained kings, there were rulers, warlords, and on the other hand, there were slaves, serfs, laborers. These prophets and these lords worked in a vicious cycle. The religious leader preached to the people about the importance of not being idle, the importance of following rules, and one very important point, which to this day haunts the poor. THAT IF YOU WORK, AND FOLLOW THE RULES THAT GOD GAVE US, THE AFTERLIFE WILL MAKE UP FOR THE MISERY OF THIS LIFE. And the powerful owners of the means of production benefit from the religious people, and the poor peons work and work, in order to secure a place in their paradise. Marx said "religion is the opiate of the masses"

Now time and time again, some bright people tend to stand and fight the order, but religion always captured the imaginations of the majority. The same people who were getting shafted again and again by the same order they supported (the same with southern americans voting for the republicans, while the republicans continually shaft them over and over.)

Just a brief overview, on what happened, serfs and lords, with colonialism and imperialism, and than after several revolutions and uprisings, we have the owners of the means of production, and the workers, and colonialism and imperialism being slowly replaced with globalism. basically the people who screw bolts in all their lives, and the people who sit back and enjoy the sweat of the bolt screwers.

Lenin, and Zedong have dogmatized marxism hence you get Leninism. Marx didnt propose a solution, and if he did, he made mistakes trying to predict the future, but he never advocated mass murder and the idea of the Great Leap Forward, or the Red Purge. Lenin saw Russia as a behind country, and Marx has postulated that only a capitalist country can advance through a class struggle. Lenin changed that doctrine into one we now call leninism. Basically installation of a social revolution, in a country that is not developed. As we seen, that would never work, unless you do what Stalin did, and murder 60 million people. Now Stalin, to call him Marxist, that is no where near the truth. Stalin was a leninist-fascist. He had no ideals, he was a paranoid schizophrenic hellbent on mass murder and genocide.

Stalinism and Maoism is as much a religion as christianity and islam. One is not anymore false than the other. All show us ways to live a 'better life', and secure a better afterlife, or in the case of stalinism and maoism, a 'leap forward to mankind'.

And for the people living in an imaginary world, thinking everything is getting better. Here are some facts.. This is for you Mr. Elijah, This is how much your god loves his children.

• At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day.Source 1
  • More than 80 percent of the world's population lives in countries where income differentials are widening.Source 2
  • The poorest 40 percent of the world's population accounts for 5 percent of global income. The richest 20 percent accounts for three-quarters of world income.Source 3
  • According to UNICEF, 26,500-30,000 children die each day due to poverty. And they "die quietly in some of the poorest villages on earth, far removed from the scrutiny and the conscience of the world. Being meek and weak in life makes these dying multitudes even more invisible in death."Source 4
  • Around 27-28 percent of all children in developing countries are estimated to be underweight or stunted. The two regions that account for the bulk of the deficit are South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.

If current trends continue, the Millennium Development Goals target of halving the proportion of underweight children will be missed by 30 million children, largely because of slow progress in Southern Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.Source 5
  • Based on enrolment data, about 72 million children of primary school age in the developing world were not in school in 2005; 57 per cent of them were girls. And these are regarded as optimisitic numbers.Source 6
  • Nearly a billion people entered the 21st century unable to read a book or sign their names.Source 7
  • Less than one per cent of what the world spent every year on weapons was needed to put every child into school by the year 2000 and yet it didn't happen.Source 8
  • Infectious diseases continue to blight the lives of the poor across the world. An estimated 40 million people are living with HIV/AIDS, with 3 million deaths in 2004. Every year there are 350–500 million cases of malaria, with 1 million fatalities: Africa accounts for 90 percent of malarial deaths and African children account for over 80 percent of malaria victims worldwide.Source 9
  • Water problems affect half of humanity:
    • Some 1.1 billion people in developing countries have inadequate access to water, and 2.6 billion lack basic sanitation.
    • Almost two in three people lacking access to clean water survive on less than $2 a day, with one in three living on less than $1 a day.
    • More than 660 million people without sanitation live on less than $2 a day, and more than 385 million on less than $1 a day.
    • Access to piped water into the household averages about 85% for the wealthiest 20% of the population, compared with 25% for the poorest 20%.
    • 1.8 billion people who have access to a water source within 1 kilometre, but not in their house or yard, consume around 20 litres per day. In the United Kingdom the average person uses more than 50 litres of water a day flushing toilets (where average daily water usage is about 150 liters a day. The highest average water use in the world is in the US, at 600 liters day.)
    • Some 1.8 million child deaths each year as a result of diarrhoea
    • The loss of 443 million school days each year from water-related illness.
    • Close to half of all people in developing countries suffering at any given time from a health problem caused by water and sanitation deficits.
    • Millions of women spending several hours a day collecting water.
    • To these human costs can be added the massive economic waste associated with the water and sanitation deficit.… The costs associated with health spending, productivity losses and labour diversions … are greatest in some of the poorest countries. Sub-Saharan Africa loses about 5% of GDP, or some $28.4 billion annually, a figure that exceeds total aid flows and debt relief to the region in 2003.Source 10
  • Number of children in the world2.2 billionNumber in poverty1 billion (every second child)Shelter, safe water and healthFor the 1.9 billion children from the developing world, there are:
    • 640 million without adequate shelter (1 in 3)
    • 400 million with no access to safe water (1 in 5)
    • 270 million with no access to health services (1 in 7)
    Children out of education worldwide121 millionSurvival for childrenWorldwide,

• 10.6 million died in 2003 before they reached the age of 5 (same as children population in France, Germany, Greece and Italy)
    • 1.4 million die each year from lack of access to safe drinking water and adequate sanitation
    Health of childrenWorldwide,

• 2.2 million children die each year because they are not immunized
    • 15 million children orphaned due to HIV/AIDS (similar to the total children population in Germany or United Kingdom)
    Source 11
  • Rural areas account for three in every four people living on less than US$1 a day and a similar share of the world population suffering from malnutrition. However, urbanization is not synonymous with human progress. Urban slum growth is outpacing urban growth by a wide margin.Source 12
  • Approximately half the world's population now live in cities and towns. In 2005, one out of three urban dwellers (approximately 1 billion people) was living in slum conditions.Source 13
  • In developing countries some 2.5 billion people are forced to rely on biomass—fuelwood, charcoal and animal dung—to meet their energy needs for cooking. In sub-Saharan Africa, over 80 percent of the population depends on traditional biomass for cooking, as do over half of the populations of India and China.Source 14
  • Indoor air pollution resulting from the use of solid fuels [by poorer segments of society] is a major killer. It claims the lives of 1.5 million people each year, more than half of them below the age of five: that is 4000 deaths a day. To put this number in context, it exceeds total deaths from malaria and rivals the number of deaths from tuberculosis.Source 15
  • In 2005, the wealthiest 20% of the world accounted for 76.6% of total private consumption. The poorest fifth just 1.5%:

Posted Image

The poorest 10% accounted for just 0.5% and the wealthiest 10% accounted for 59% of all the consumption:

Posted ImageSource 16
  • 1.6 billion people — a quarter of humanity — live without electricity:

Breaking that down further:

Number of people living without electricityRegionMillions without electricitySouth Asia706Sub-Saharan Africa547East Asia224Other101
  • The GDP (Gross Domestic Product) of the 41 Heavily Indebted Poor Countries (567 million people) is less than the wealth of the world's 7 richest people combined.Source 18
  • World gross domestic product (world population approximately 6.5 billion) in 2006 was $48.2 trillion in 2006.
    • The world's wealthiest countries (approximately 1 billion people) accounted for $36.6 trillion dollars (76%).
    • The world's billionaires — just 497 people (approximately 0.000008% of the world's population) — were worth $3.5 trillion (over 7% of world GDP).
    • Low income countries (2.4 billion people) accounted for just $1.6 trillion of GDP (3.3%)
    • Middle income countries (3 billion people) made up the rest of GDP at just over $10 trillion (20.7%).Source 19
  • The world's low income countries (2.4 billion people) account for just 2.4% of world exportsSource 20
  • The total wealth of the top 8.3 million people around the world "rose 8.2 percent to $30.8 trillion in 2004, giving them control of nearly a quarter of the world's financial assets."

In other words, about 0.13% of the world's population controlled 25% of the world's financial assets in 2004.Source 21
  • For every $1 in aid a developing country receives, over $25 is spent on debt repayment.Source 22
  • 51 percent of the world's 100 hundred wealthiest bodies are corporations.Source 23
  • The wealthiest nation on Earth has the widest gap between rich and poor of any industrialized nation.Source 24
  • The poorer the country, the more likely it is that debt repayments are being extracted directly from people who neither contracted the loans nor received any of the money.Source 25
  • In 1960, the 20% of the world's people in the richest countries had 30 times the income of the poorest 20% — in 1997, 74 times as much.Source 26
  • An analysis of long-term trends shows the distance between the richest and poorest countries was about:
    • 3 to 1 in 1820
    • 11 to 1 in 1913
    • 35 to 1 in 1950
    • 44 to 1 in 1973
    • 72 to 1 in 1992Source 27
  • "Approximately 790 million people in the developing world are still chronically undernourished, almost two-thirds of whom reside in Asia and the Pacific."Source 28
  • For economic growth and almost all of the other indicators, the last 20 years [of the current form of globalization, from 1980 - 2000] have shown a very clear decline in progress as compared with the previous two decades [1960 - 1980]. For each indicator, countries were divided into five roughly equal groups, according to what level the countries had achieved by the start of the period (1960 or 1980). Among the findings:
    • Growth: The fall in economic growth rates was most pronounced and across the board for all groups or countries.
    • Life Expectancy: Progress in life expectancy was also reduced for 4 out of the 5 groups of countries, with the exception of the highest group (life expectancy 69-76 years).
    • Infant and Child Mortality: Progress in reducing infant mortality was also considerably slower during the period of globalization (1980-1998) than over the previous two decades.
    • Education and literacy: Progress in education also slowed during the period of globalization.Source 29
  • A mere 12 percent of the world's population uses 85 percent of its water, and these 12 percent do not live in the Third World.Source 30
  • Consider the global priorities in spending in 1998

Global Priority$U.S. BillionsCosmetics in the United States8Ice cream in Europe11Perfumes in Europe and the United States12Pet foods in Europe and the United States17Business entertainment in Japan35Cigarettes in Europe50Alcoholic drinks in Europe105Narcotics drugs in the world400Military spending in the world780And compare that to what was estimated as additional costs to achieve universal access to basic social services in all developing countries:

Global Priority$U.S. BillionsBasic education for all6Water and sanitation for all9Reproductive health for all women12Basic health and nutrition13Source 31
Notes and Sources

Atheism is merely a lack of belief or disbelief in deities. There are no dogmas. Atheism is not a real philosophy really and neither is it a religion, yet atheists have philosophies and can have religion.

As far as a loving God goes the problem of evil is a problem. Sure.

I do not recall from the scriptures Jesus endorsing any economic model or any kind of government. I do not recall Jesus or any New Testament writer saying hank panky with big brother is ok. I recall the N.T. teaching Christians not to piss off big brother and people in general, but to never disobey God. To be in the world but not of the world. To give to the poor. Love your neighbor as yourself. I doubt that you can pin Christianities mostly horrible history on what Jesus or any of the New Testament writers taught. Although I do not like folks hoping for miracles or rejecting science. Those deppress me.

Other than that great post! THANK YOU!

Thanks to you, it seems to me that it can be shown that we can tackle much more of the worlds ills through science/technology and changing our values to be more empathetic than to get caught up in world politics through military actions. I doubt that non-violent interventions has as much blowback as military actions when it comes to merciful justice and compassion in mitigating the bulk of the planets ills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users