Photo
- - - - -

Body Building

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 Iain

• 16 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

So how does Body Building fit into longevity? How about the supplements that a lot of people take for Body Building - i.e. NOX-CG3 (or similar energy enhancing substances?), Creating, Protein (Obviously not 'bad'.), multivitamins, steroids, ect... I myself will begin a regimen of Creatine, Protein, NOX-CG3, and multivitamins... But are using those thing a detriment to my longevity, at least in a serious way? I just turned 17, so my living to see indefinite life extension is basically guarenteed, but I still wonder you know? So! Who else is into weight lifting, power lifting, body building, ect?

Edited by Iain, 23 November 2008 - 05:16 PM.

#2 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:12 PM

So how does Body Building fit into longevity? How about the supplements that a lot of people take for Body Building - i.e. NOX-CG3 (or similar energy enhancing substances?), Creating, Protein (Obviously not 'bad'.), multivitamins, steroids, ect... I myself will begin a regimen of Creatine, Protein, NOX-CG3, and multivitamins... But are using those thing a detriment to my longevity, at least in a serious way? I just turned 17, so my living to see indefinite life extension is basically guarenteed, but I still wonder you know? So! Who else is into weight lifting, power lifting, body building, ect?

Best deal anywhere...

OPTIMUM NUTRITION - 100 % Whey Protein Gold 10/lb
$67.99

http://www.vitaglo.c...00whey10lb.html

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

Is NOX-CG3 any good?

#4 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

I'm taking ON whey, BCAAs, and Ortho Core. I need to buy some creatine next week. I'm still undecided about what to get. Probably some cheap, regular monohydrate.

#5 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:25 PM

I'd drop the NOX-CG3 (over hyped product IMO) cause you will already will be taking creatine. Using said products (minus steroids) will enhance health not be a detriment.

#6 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

Ah, to be 17 again. If only I knew then what I know now.....I coulda been a contender.

Keep the creatine and protein shakes. Don't worry about anything else except some coffee when needed.

#7 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

Coffee?

Is there anything detrimental to body building about multivitamins?

#8 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

Coffee?

Nothing special, just a source of caffeine that is less easily abused than other stimulants.

Is there anything detrimental to body building about multivitamins?

No, I don't think they are terribly important one way or the other for bodybuilding. Endurance athletes probably need them more than other types of athletes, though.

Edited by shepard, 24 November 2008 - 12:22 AM.

#9 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:04 AM

Ah, to be 17 again. If only I knew then what I know now.....I coulda been a contender.

Lol, but so true

#10 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:09 AM

I'm not going to begin to advise someone on bodybuilding supplements especially a 17 year old other than at your age stick with the basics and don't mess with your hormones or CNS stimulants. Seriously anything that has any effects on hormones or stimulates the CNS just DONT DO IT any time soon and only consider doing it later after an education or under the direction of a physician... Ok I have done my public service.

#11 Iain

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:13 AM

Best deal anywhere...

$67.99

Actually, at my Meijer, you get one pound of Soy/Whey Protein for $11.99. Sounds like a rip, but at 25g of Protein per serving, it's a REALLY good deal. Better deal than the 2LBS thing of Optimum Protein I got. *Reads your post more carefully* 10LBS?! Holy crap. I thought 5. That is a really good deal.

Oh, and with the Nox-CG3... It's not for the Creatine, I'm just taking it for the energy on Work-Out days. Kind of like a cheap alternative to NO-Xplode. So what do you guys bench? I'm at about 140... Pretty sad, I know (Especially seeing as I weigh 160, lol.) but it's actually a 68% increase from this time last year... I'm too ashamed to type that one, lol.

When you think about it, it's kind of ironic in that the nerdier people like me (Def not a jock, I'm starting to look like one though, xD), knows way more about Weight Lifting (especially supps) than the huge kids. I mean, almost everyone at my school will tell you (With a straight face...) that after you stop taking Creatine, muscle tissue gained from taking it will actually disintegrate.

#12 Iain

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:24 AM

I'm not going to begin to advise someone on bodybuilding supplements especially a 17 year old other than at your age stick with the basics and don't mess with your hormones or CNS stimulants. Seriously anything that has any effects on hormones or stimulates the CNS just DONT DO IT any time soon and only consider doing it later after an education or under the direction of a physician... Ok I have done my public service.

Haha, thanks man. I know that ain't the stuff you wanna be messin' with. Patience is the best thing, and the ability to reflect on how far you've come and how far you're going is even better... If only that came in pill form, lol.

#13 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:50 AM

Best deal anywhere...

$67.99

Actually, at my Meijer, you get one pound of Soy/Whey Protein for $11.99. Sounds like a rip, but at 25g of Protein per serving, it's a REALLY good deal. Better deal than the 2LBS thing of Optimum Protein I got. *Reads your post more carefully* 10LBS?! Holy crap. I thought 5. That is a really good deal.

Oh, and with the Nox-CG3... It's not for the Creatine, I'm just taking it for the energy on Work-Out days. Kind of like a cheap alternative to NO-Xplode. So what do you guys bench? I'm at about 140... Pretty sad, I know (Especially seeing as I weigh 160, lol.) but it's actually a 68% increase from this time last year... I'm too ashamed to type that one, lol.

When you think about it, it's kind of ironic in that the nerdier people like me (Def not a jock, I'm starting to look like one though, xD), knows way more about Weight Lifting (especially supps) than the huge kids. I mean, almost everyone at my school will tell you (With a straight face...) that after you stop taking Creatine, muscle tissue gained from taking it will actually disintegrate.

When I was about 16 I maxed out at 165 in gym class. I haven't tried in a while but I think I could do at least 180 or 190 now when not tired out at all. I'm 21 now

just started working out again a month or two ago

Edited by Savage, 24 November 2008 - 02:54 AM.

#14 Iain

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:04 AM

[/quote]
When I was about 16 I maxed out at 165 in gym class. I haven't tried in a while but I think I could do at least 180 or 190 now when not tired out at all. I'm 21 now

just started working out again a month or two ago
[/quote]

I just keep thinkin' about how sweet I'll be by the time summer starts, lol. Given how much I've changed for the better, man, I'll have to beat the ladies off me with a stick, xD.

#15 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:10 AM

Pretty much ignore the so called latest greatest supplements for getting "Heeeyoooge"
Stick to whey, creatine, multi.
At your age stick to the basics like squats, bench, chins, deadlifts (trap bar if you can get one). Consitently add small amounts of iron to your
lifts. Fractional plates will help keep the progress rolling. Avoid overtraining. Keep aerobics to a minimum if interested in mass.
Consider getting a pair of olympic rings. I sure wish I had a pair when I was your age. http://gymnasticbodi...ic.php?f=10&t=7

#16 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:21 AM

hm that's good. about the only aerobics i do is the p90x core synergistics exercise on thursdays and uphill sprints on saturday or sunday.

#17 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:11 AM

So what do you guys bench? I'm at about 140... Pretty sad, I know (Especially seeing as I weigh 160, lol.) but it's actually a 68% increase from this time last year... I'm too ashamed to type that one, lol.

The correct question is "What do you guys clean and jerk?".

#18 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

So what do you guys bench? I'm at about 140... Pretty sad, I know (Especially seeing as I weigh 160, lol.) but it's actually a 68% increase from this time last year... I'm too ashamed to type that one, lol.

The correct question is "What do you guys clean and jerk?".

You're so right! So Shepard, what do you clean and jerk?

#19 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:07 PM

And the answer is always "Not enough".

#20 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:51 PM

tonight i did...

35 pushups
25 x 50lbs two arm machine curl
15 x 135 bench press
15 x 60lbs two arm machine curl
15 x 135 bench press

12 x 135 bench press
20 x 25lbs one arm free curl (10/arm)
repeat 12 times

25 x 30lbs nose to floor tricep superset
25 x 30lbs over the head rope tricep superset
25 x 15lbs one arm free static curl
repeat 3 times

(or something like that...)

That's what I call Savage Volume Training

Edited by Savage, 24 November 2008 - 11:53 PM.

#21 sentinel

• Guest, F@H
  • 794 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:10 AM

And the answer is always "Not enough".

Ha! So much for calling you out :)

#22 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:56 PM

tonight i did...

35 pushups
15 x 135 bench press
15 x 135 bench press

12 x 135 bench press
repeat 12 times

repeat 3 times

Dude, "bro", your reps are too high and your weights are to low. All bodybuilding.com joking aside, I will speak from personal experience and what I have read scientifically on the subject: using as many multi-joint lifts as possible do -> low reps, heavy weight combined with intensity increasing techniques like drop sets and super sets.... get in the gym bust ass and then get out quick.

Edited by edward, 25 November 2008 - 09:59 PM.

#23 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:21 PM

tonight i did...

35 pushups
15 x 135 bench press
15 x 135 bench press

12 x 135 bench press
repeat 12 times

repeat 3 times

Dude, "bro", your reps are too high and your weights are to low. All bodybuilding.com joking aside, I will speak from personal experience and what I have read scientifically on the subject: using as many multi-joint lifts as possible do -> low reps, heavy weight combined with intensity increasing techniques like drop sets and super sets.... get in the gym bust ass and then get out quick.

Took me about an hour.

I thought high reps with low weight was good for size, low reps high weight better for strength

#24 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:04 PM

High reps with low weight is a good program for localized lactate clearance and endurance. Or rehabbing an injuried area. That's about it.

#25 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:08 PM

Ok... aim for 4-8 reps then. hm

#26 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:11 PM

Ok... aim for 4-8 reps then. hm

It depends, there is a time and place for everything in training.

See this post for a nice table from Supertraining:

http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=236846

But even this isn't dogmatic, there are grey areas between the categories.

#27 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:12 PM

thanks dude.

#28 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (zoolander @ 30-Apr 2008, 02:53 AM)
1. General prep phase (4-6 weeks)
2. Hypertrophy (12 weeks): example would be GVT or something high volume with minimal rest between sets
3. Strength (12 weeks): 6-12 rep range with 3 minutes rest between sets
4. Power (12 weeks): 2-4 rep range with 5-7 minutes between sets
5. Peak phase (competitive) or Rest phase: 50% 1-RM (i.e light/ maintenence program): (4-6 weeks)

Variable.........Strength..........Power...........Hypertrophy........Endurance
Load (% of 1RM).....80-100...............70-100...............60-80......................... 40-60
Reps per set............1-5.....................1-5....................8-15...........................25-60
Sets per exercise.... 4-7....................3-5....................4-8.............................2-4
Rest between sets....2-6.................... 2-6...................2-5.............................1-2
Duration (secs/set)...5-10...................4-8..................20-60..........................80-150
Speed per red (%)...60-100...............90-100..............60-90.........................60-80
Sessions/week.........3-6.....................3-6...................5-7.............................8-14

well dude, I'm looking at hypertrophy, 8-15 reps per set... exactly what I have been doing. 60-80% of max, well 135 bench press, I couldn't double that so it's certainly better than 60%. I'm doing way more than 4-8 sets, but that can't be bad, right?

and I've spent about 2 months doing prep until recently so I think I'm actually nailing this program pretty precisely so far

maybe do better by doing something like...

15 x 135
15 x 135

12 x 145
12 x 145

10 x 155
10 x 155

8 x 165
8 x 165

or 5lb increases each round if necessary

Edited by Savage, 25 November 2008 - 11:30 PM.

#29 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

well dude, I'm looking at hypertrophy, 8-15 reps per set... exactly what I have been doing. 60-80% of max, well 135 bench press, I couldn't double that so it's certainly better than 60%.

While I tend to think the 8-ish range is preferable to 15 for most hypertrophy work, anything is going to work fine for a beginner. And, as long as you make sure to keep adding weight whenever possible and eat enough, you'll probably do fine.

I'm doing way more than 4-8 sets, but that can't be bad, right?

If you're sacrificing load for volume, it wouldn't necessarily be bad, just not ideal. Also give it a few months and see how that much volume treats you. Some thrive on it, some don't.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:07 AM

Just a couple of notes. A rep range of 8-15 means that at 8 reps you are getting close to failure so you can squeeze out a few more reps to pust it to 10 or 12, or if you happen to be stronger that day you might be able to take it to 14 or 15. Shooting for 15 reps right off the bat makes it more of an endurance activity and chances are once you get to 15 you could really do 20+.

Personally I shoot for 8 reps, it usually means 5-9 reps to failure, then I drop 10-40 lbs depending on what exercise I am doing and do a few more reps to failure then drop some more weight and do the same. I only do 2 of these hell sets per exercise. Again I focus on multi joint exercises complimented with some single joint exercise to isolate specific muscles. My workouts never last more 45 min, usually only 30.

I work out each body part once or twice a week. I do a lot of high intensity interval aerobic training so I do not focus solely on weightlifting anymore. My weightlifting is based on the most bang for your buck concept.

Minimal volume high intensity workouts is the only way I have been able to build mass while keeping a low bodyfat and not overtraining without resorting to the typical bulk and cut bodybuilding diet training yo-yo which I don't think is too healthy

Edited by edward, 26 November 2008 - 12:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users