Photo
- - - - -

RevGen Vs. Longevin

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Crepulance

• 269 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:00 PM

Hey all, has anyone switched from Longevin to RevGen or vice versa and noticed any difference in the way they feel? I usually take Longevi but for the past couple weeks have been taking my friend's RevGen. It may be psychosomatic, but it feels like I felt better when taking the Longevin. Felt sharper in the mind, more energy, etc. Anyone else notice this?

Crep

#2 Guest_aidanpryde_*

• Lurker

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

Definitely not.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:04 PM

Hey all, has anyone switched from Longevin to RevGen or vice versa and noticed any difference in the way they feel? I usually take Longevi but for the past couple weeks have been taking my friend's RevGen. It may be psychosomatic, but it feels like I felt better when taking the Longevin. Felt sharper in the mind, more energy, etc. Anyone else notice this?

Crep

That Longevinex product also has quercetin, which is well known to boost energy and metal clarity (it works wonders for me). Since taking RevGen gives you a lot more resveratrol, but lacks the quercetin, your experience can be completely explained by such. It would be best, in my opinion, to take RevGen and then a separate quercetin dose - this'll also give you more flexibility to play with both factors till you find the levels that work best for you.

The levels of quercetin and resveratrol in the Longevinex product are extremely low, so it's doubtful you're getting anywhere near the optimal level for both with that product alone.

Edited by geddarkstorm, 15 December 2008 - 11:06 PM.

#4 Crepulance

• Topic Starter
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:03 AM

Do you know how much Quercetin is in longevin? And how much quercetin do you recommend for a daily dose? Is there anything else in Longevi that's not in RevGen? Thanks!

Crep

#5 AHE

• 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:39 AM

Just on that, has anyone else used any other products besides Longevi or Revgen? I'd actually like to know how other products compare.

Have any studies been conducted on the passive or active uptake of Resveratrol in the GIT? This may regulate how much of the Resveratrol people are taking is actually getting into the blood stream...

Sorry, I hope I am posting this question in the correct thread...

#6 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:08 AM

Do you know how much Quercetin is in longevin? And how much quercetin do you recommend for a daily dose? Is there anything else in Longevi that's not in RevGen? Thanks!

Crep

Unfortunately I do not. There is no way at all to tell how much quercetin is in there according to their label. However, it definitely isn't much, maybe only 15mg if I'm reading their label right.

I use 500mg of quercetin, which works amazingly well and lasts all day. Unlike caffeine, there are no withdrawls or headaches or any loss of focus to accompany the energy, nor is sleeping affected (you can take it before bed and still sleep fine, surprisingly, but I wouldn't do that as that defeats the purpose). I've tried 1 gram, but it didn't do anything different, so 500mg seems to be the magic optimum for me and other friends of mine who have tried the same. Take it at the same time as resveratrol. The data for their longevin does at least show that quercetin increases resveratrol's effects and doesn't inhibit it (the large amount of vitamin D plays the biggest role in the gene profile changes, I am willing to bet).

The majority of longevi is actually vitamin D and those "mineral chelators". Resveratrol works in synergy with vitamin D by upregulating the vitamin D receptors, so it was an interesting choice by them. You'd be far better off taking the three separately, however, and definitely higher doses of resveratrol and quercetin. But that's all just my opinion.

Just on that, has anyone else used any other products besides Longevi or Revgen? I'd actually like to know how other products compare.

Have any studies been conducted on the passive or active uptake of Resveratrol in the GIT? This may regulate how much of the Resveratrol people are taking is actually getting into the blood stream...

Sorry, I hope I am posting this question in the correct thread...

Human absorption and plasma data is already available. You can see this paper too for basic info with absorption in rats. Resveratrol is poorly taken up into the blood stream unless in the presence of fatty acids (it is especially well absorbed in the presence of tween 80 according to the data RevGen is founded on, which is why I favor them the most - extremely higher plasma concentrations of actual resveratrol compared to taking it straight). Quercetin is also poorly absorbed unless in the presence of fatty acids. It seems this is a theme for plant polyphenols. A good scheme could be to take resveratrol/quercetin along with Omega-3 fatty acids, which is what I do. The brand of resveratrol I use is this cheapo, lame grape extract stuff with only 14mg of trans-res, pretty laughable, but still the highest level you'd find in a liter of red wine, so should be high enough to do something when in the presence of quercetin at least (which is also found in red wine). I'll get better stuff when I can afford it, heh.

Edited by geddarkstorm, 16 December 2008 - 05:25 AM.

#7 AHE

• 20 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:20 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Do you happen to have a link for the human absorption and plasma data??

I had a read of that paper (or at least the abstract). As most people already know, Resveratrol is taken up but conjugated almost immediately with gluconorates and sulfonates, correct? So the actual amount of free Res in the plasma is quite low.

My initial question referring to active or passive transport was to establish whether the high doses people are taking is in fact being absorbed. If t-Res is absorbed by passive transport, which as you suggest by referring to increased absorption by intake with fatty acids, indicates it is, then taking high doses MAY be beneficial. However, if it is actively transport, i.e. by an enzyme system, then once you have saturated the transporter, there is no point in taking anymore as it will just go to waste.

Do you see what I am getting at? It is important to know the mechanism of absorption. To your knowledge, have any of these kinds of test been done before?

#8 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:24 AM

If t-Res is absorbed by passive transport, [...] then taking high doses MAY be beneficial. However, if it is actively transport, i.e. by an enzyme system, then once you have saturated the transporter, there is no point in taking anymore as it will just go to waste. [...] To your knowledge, have any of these kinds of test been done before?

Resveratrol uptake appears to be passive for several reasons, as you mentioned, since fatty acids can so greatly increase absorption of the same doses. Here's a paper looking at it in humans, and another looking at a much higher dose. You can see, just like with the rats, a very small amount of straight resveratrol can make it into the system unchanged (~1%, identical with rats). The half life of unmetabolized resveratrol in plasma seems to be around 14 minutes, as we see on the RevGen kinetic data. This is still, obviously, long enough to give resveratrol's effects which have been well documented in vivo all over the place for a variety of oral doses. This is a nifty paper that shows that it's the normal resveratrol form that is retained in tissues, not metabolites, even up to 18 hours later.

So, it seems resveratrol seems to scale well with dose, which again insinuates a more passive sort of transport - hence also why it's so extensively modified to increase solubility as normal resveratrol is slightly hydrophobic (again, hence why fatty acids would increase uptake so dramatically by hitching a ride along with them).

Quercetin increases the bioavailability of resveratrol by inhibiting both sulphation and glucuronidation considerably, more so than any other wine flavonoid can (that were studied at least). So the two pair very well together, hence why companies like sticking them in the same pill. Both are also in red wine together, which may account for why resveratrol in red wine is more effective than its dose level would lead one to expect (i.e. the fact resveratrol has any effect at all at the minuscule level found in red wine. Contrast this to pure resveratrol at higher doses without quercetin).

Edited by Michael, 25 July 2009 - 04:54 PM.
Trim quote

#9 Crepulance

• Topic Starter
  • 269 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:34 PM

What are the top brands or providers of Quercetin? So is that mainly what quercetin is responsible for is giving you an energy boost? Why does it do that? What's the science behind it? Also, what does Vitamin D do and how much should I take?

Crep

#10 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:40 PM

Crep,

you may want to ask that here if you want more folks to chime in on your Quercetin questions:
http://www.imminst.o...lements-f6.html

Personally I get mine through onions, and citrus juices...

Maxwatt had a whole list of things at one time. Maybe you can do a search on the forum regarding this, as it appears to have been explained a while back.

A

#11 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:39 PM

What are the top brands or providers of Quercetin? So is that mainly what quercetin is responsible for is giving you an energy boost? Why does it do that? What's the science behind it? Also, what does Vitamin D do and how much should I take?

Crep

Lol, that is a lot of questions, Crep. I just get my non-citrus quercetin from Solaris, or whatever they are. Random, off the shelf supplement you can find in any whole foods store. GNC also cells quercetin, but they throw calcium in there for some unexplained reason, so it isn't as pure. Make sure not to accidentally get quercitin (the citrus variety), if it's even sold.

Here is a really nice review, and here's another nice summary, and yet another really good one. The mechanism by which quercetin enhances physical power and endurance is a mystery still. Though there is some speculation that it does so by slowing the rate of loss of adrenalin (adrenalin is constantly produced by your body at low levels). This may be related to its vitamin C and resveratrol sparing ability.

Quercetin an anti-cancer agent and cancer preventative, with no mutagenicity or toxicity in vivo (even at 2000 mg/kg levels) unless you are a bacteria (I guess it's a slight antibiotic and infection fighter). Quercetin even fights multi-drug resistance in cancer, and pairs well with resveratrol in the fight against cancer. This is only a small part of the pie - there is so much out there on quercetin slaughtering cancer and leaving healthy cells healthier than ever. It also does not accumulate in tissues with chronic use above what's seen with just a single dose (a very good thing).

It's also an anti-viral (protects after exercise too), anti-inflammatory, anti-histamine (and gastric protector), anti-oxidant (better than vitamin C?), analgesic (fights chemical induced pain), protects cells from necrosis and UVA radiation, increases ratio of NAD+ to NADH (which is a good thing), protects the cardiovascular system and heart, fights diabetes in animal models, fights obesity along with resveratrol (especially when used together), protects male reproductive systems from damage by diesel exhaust, and increases bones (see also previous reviews). As you can see, it does a lot of stuff. One more thing it does is affect lipid raft formation, downregulating NFk-B activation and other pro-inflammatory/Th2 signaling systems as mentioned in earlier links. There's even more, too. All great stuff.

As for vitamin D... that plays a very important role in calcium regulation and bone formation, as well as some other metabolic regulatory effects, but I'll let you look up all that info :)

Edited by geddarkstorm, 16 December 2008 - 09:42 PM.

#12 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

Nice job putting all of that together geddark, I began to answer his question and threw in the towel when I realized it was actually six questions. :)

As far as cheap high quality sources, Now Foods and Jarrow Formulas both make large bottles of 500mg quercetin capsules for cheap. I use Jarrow from iherb.

#13 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

This is unrelated to resveratrol but I have Schamberg's disease and it was completely cured by using Quercetin. Anways, I've been using a teaspoon of 98% resveratrol along with added quercetin and luteolin all dissolved in colostrum and I have not felt anything. I started using 3 TBSP per day and reduced it to avoid a reversed U curve-type response. Even at this dose I did not feel any different.

#14 Ringostarr

• 87 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

This is unrelated to resveratrol but I have Schamberg's disease and it was completely cured by using Quercetin. Anways, I've been using a teaspoon of 98% resveratrol along with added quercetin and luteolin all dissolved in colostrum and I have not felt anything. I started using 3 TBSP per day and reduced it to avoid a reversed U curve-type response. Even at this dose I did not feel any different.

I have been taking resveratrol since 2003 and have not felt anything either. However, I have noticed that I rarely get sick anymore, I sleep 5-6 hours of deep sleep a night (that is all I need) and my friends (without knowing that I take resveratrol or that resveratrol even exists) say that I look like I have "been preserved in formaldihyde? sp". They are ageing and I apparently am not (according to them). Also I don't exercise at all and eat fast food almost every day. My doctor did my blood work recently and said my numbers were excellent - (i.e. cholesterols, sugars, blood pressure, heart rate). He automatically assumed that I was on a strict diet and exercised. I am convinced something is going on even though I havn't felt any different.

#15 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:08 AM

Unlike quercetin, which has that immediate overt effect on energy and so can be "felt", pretty much all of resveratrol's effects are behind the scenes through Sirt1 and gene regulation (although, it plus quercetin may help stabilize moods and ward off depression, but even that is kinda passive due to subjectivity). In a healthy, young individual with no obvious diseases or problems, and good weight and so forth, resveratrol shouldn't really have any overt effects. There are some though, such as I've noticed a great increase in cold tolerance in myself after starting even my terribly low dose of quercetin enhanced resveratrol. For instance, this morning I was out in the 12F, heavily snowing weather in my socks, a simple shirt, and PJ pants to unbury my dog's tethers from the snow, and I didn't feel cold or shiver once (I started on quercetin some time before resveratrol, so I think I can tease the effects of the two apart for that, but can't say absolutely). I could feel it was cold out, but I didn't feel cold. It is quite something, considering I've always been horrible with the cold up to this point in my life, so much so that 40F temps would have me shivering a ton just last winter.

It takes very high doses to give that doubling boost to endurance and sigificant increase in strength due to mitochondria biogenesis seen with resveratrol (400mg/kg in mice). And even that may not be all that obvious as it'll build up over time and will not happen just suddenly, so you may not even notice it; especially if you are not physically challenged enough where such a difference would become apparent. Ditto goes for the significantly increased motor coordination and control - that's hard to assay and is usually subjective.

It's important to remember what resveratrol is being used for. The point of resveratrol is to increase the length of time that a person is youthful, fit, and healthy - hopefully all the way up till the person's natural life maximum (which is controlled mostly by factors such as telomere length) - not to give an obvious "super" feeling. To that end, resveratrol seems to do one incredible job and the best you can get; fighting off aging, pathology, and bad diet related degeneration of the heart, brain, joints, bone, skin, and metabolism as a whole, thus basically every part. Pair it with some other goodies (quercetin, omega-3s, and who knows what else :) ) and you have a winning combination that may even give a person a "super" feeling throughout the peron's life. We'll just have to see :p.

I have been taking resveratrol since 2003 and have not felt anything either. However, I have noticed that I rarely get sick anymore, I sleep 5-6 hours of deep sleep a night (that is all I need) and my friends (without knowing that I take resveratrol or that resveratrol even exists) say that I look like I have "been preserved in formaldihyde? sp". They are ageing and I apparently am not (according to them). Also I don't exercise at all and eat fast food almost every day. My doctor did my blood work recently and said my numbers were excellent - (i.e. cholesterols, sugars, blood pressure, heart rate). He automatically assumed that I was on a strict diet and exercised. I am convinced something is going on even though I havn't felt any different.

Sounds like resveratrol is doing exactly what it should be :)

Edited by geddarkstorm, 17 December 2008 - 12:20 AM.

#16 AHE

• 20 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

If t-Res is absorbed by passive transport, [...] then taking high doses MAY be beneficial. However, if it is actively transport, i.e. by an enzyme system, then once you have saturated the transporter, there is no point in taking anymore as it will just go to waste. [...] To your knowledge, have any of these kinds of test been done before?

Resveratrol uptake appears to be passive for several reasons, as you mentioned [...]

Quercetin increases the bioavailability of resveratrol by inhibiting both sulphation and glucuronidation considerably [...]

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

You wouldn't happen to know of a fully synthetic source of Cis-Resveratrol would you?

Edited by Michael, 25 July 2009 - 04:55 PM.
Trim quote

#17 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:42 PM

You could buy some trans-resveratrol and put it under a UV light for a while....

On the other hand try contacting Fluxome in Germany, although I believe they are doing trans...

Cheers

A

#18 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:56 PM

You wouldn't happen to know of a fully synthetic source of Cis-Resveratrol would you?

This is the only supplier I could find for dedicated, potentially but can't be sure synthetic cis-resv: Cayman Chemical.

I don't know why you'd want cis-resveratrol, since it's far less effective than trans-resveratrol as an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory, and cannot activate sirtuins according to the literature. It's also extraordinarily expensive.

#19 AHE

• 20 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:24 PM

This is the only supplier I could find for dedicated, potentially but can't be sure synthetic cis-resv: Cayman Chemical.

I don't know why you'd want cis-resveratrol, since it's far less effective than trans-resveratrol as an anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory, and cannot activate sirtuins according to the literature. It's also extraordinarily expensive.

I don't intend to use it for health benefits.

I am looking at developing a HPLC method.

I know this can be done with a standard synthetic t-Res, but to cover all bases, I thought identifying Cis would also be important.

#20 AHE

• 20 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:09 AM

just reading this paper:

"Effect of food on the pharmacokinetic profile of trans-resveratrol."

Is there somewhere it says that intake of food increases absorption rate?

Is there another paper that says that?

thanks

#21 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

just reading this paper:

"Effect of food on the pharmacokinetic profile of trans-resveratrol."

Is there another paper that says that?

thanks

Mice in Sinclair and Auwerx studies were fed chow mixed with resveratrol, so one could say they were taking it with food and the method oof administration proved effective.

When citing a paper it helps to give the author(s), title, journal and even the pubmed id (19000554)

Note the study found a higher blood concentration without food, but the area under the curve was the same for both methods. Unless some of resveratrol's effects require a high concentration, rather than long exposure, no difference. Also, the Res was administered after the meal, not with or just before. Thus solubility of Res in fat may not have been an important factor which might have produced different results. A high fat meal slows GI motility, which would slow absorption of gut content, so the results are not that surprising.

More significant in the study is this "There was a large interindividual variability in the trans-resveratrol pharmacokinetic parameters. " If you are blessed with feeble enzymes, you will achieve high blood serum levels on a lower dose.

#22 AHE

• 20 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

Note the study found a higher blood concentration without food, but the area under the curve was the same for both methods. [...]

More significant in the study is this "There was a large interindividual variability in the trans-resveratrol pharmacokinetic parameters. " If you are blessed with feeble enzymes, you will achieve high blood serum levels on a lower dose.

lol thanks for that. I didnt know I had to provide referencing since the paper was already linked from geddarkstorm.

But anyway, I'll take it on board.

So if long exposure is the key, not high concentration, then one would think slowing GI motility and hence absorption would be favourable for a steady rate. However, the high doses people on here claim to take would suggest they are trying to bombard the liver (enzymes, I'm guessing CYT, but I'm not exactly sure) with amounts it cannot process. This would suggest slowing down absorption rate would be unfavourable since the liver has time to process and gluconorate or sulphonate t-Res.

So what is more favourable?

Edited by Michael, 25 July 2009 - 04:58 PM.
Trim quotes

#23 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:34 AM

lol thanks for that. I didnt know I had to provide referencing since the paper was already linked from geddarkstorm.

But anyway, I'll take it on board.

So if long exposure is the key, not high concentration, then one would think slowing GI motility and hence absorption would be favourable for a steady rate. However, the high doses people on here claim to take would suggest they are trying to bombard the liver (enzymes, I'm guessing CYT, but I'm not exactly sure) with amounts it cannot process. This would suggest slowing down absorption rate would be unfavourable since the liver has time to process and gluconorate or sulphonate t-Res.

So what is more favourable?

Food does slow down absorption, but area under the curve *the amount you get in total* is identical it seems. So then, processing only means you don't spike, but you get the same effective dose over a longer time, just as Maxwatt put it. At least, that's how it appears from that paper. In my opinion, a longer drawn out dose is better, as that gives plenty of time for resveratrol to get in, and keep Sirt1 active to perform it's job before the resident amounts of niacinamide disable it again once resveratrol is pulled out. On the other hand, there is a minimal concentration of resveratrol that will be necessary for relieving niacinamide inhibition of Sirt1. So, if your dose is low, you want it to spike, and hope it's enough and that even a short burst of Sirt1 will be sufficient to activate PGC-1alpha and such. But if you have a nice and big dose (whatever exactly that would be), then prolonging its abundance would be the most beneficial way to go, I think. A big enough dose is probably 1 gram or more of normal resveratrol by itself, or that 250mg with tween 80.

But again, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, quercetin is the single best option for keeping resveratrol from being processed by the liver, and thus improving effectiveness. So, taking quercetin will gum up those liver enzymes and buy resveratrol more than enough time to work and spike even if you ingest with food, and even if the amounts are low (since it works for the <=4mg of resveratrol in a glass of red wine, which is also usually consumed with food). That is just my theory from the data.

And hah, I was wondering what you were up to for cis-Resv. Yes, you'll definitely need it to compare the HPLC profiles if you want to separate out trans-Resv yourself reliably. Very smart. Thanks for filling us in on your plot ^^.

Edited by geddarkstorm, 19 December 2008 - 12:35 AM.

#24 AHE

• 20 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:15 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I think effectively we are saying the same thing. I just want to see a study which definitively compares the absorption rates using a fatty acid combination or some fats in combo with Resveratrol, and plain Resveratrol. Just on an empty stomach, with that small amount of fats.

I think it would be very interesting to see absorption rates under these conditions.

I suspect you may be correct with your assessment of absorption over at drawn out time. You get an equivalent dose over a sustained period which is much better IMHO.

#25 Crepulance

• Topic Starter
  • 269 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:35 AM

If I'm just trying to get the same desired effect that I received while taking Longevin, which you say may be from the quercetin, and the quercetin in that was minimal, what effect is taking 500mg of it going to be? That seems like a lot. Too much?

Crep

#26 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

If I'm just trying to get the same desired effect that I received while taking Longevin, which you say may be from the quercetin, and the quercetin in that was minimal, what effect is taking 500mg of it going to be? That seems like a lot. Too much?

Crep

Crep,

You should look at these links and decide how much you want to take:

http://www.imminst.o...mp;hl=quercitin
http://www.imminst.o...o...80&hl=sardi

then search google:

http://www.google.co...n...=1&ct=title

As a side note: I don't take quercetin supplements. I have enough from onions and citrus.

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 19 December 2008 - 04:07 PM.

#27 geddarkstorm

• 191 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 06:32 AM

Crep,

You should look at these links and decide how much you want to take:

http://www.imminst.o...mp;hl=quercitin
http://www.imminst.o...o...80&hl=sardi

then search google:

http://www.google.co...n...=1&ct=title

As a side note: I don't take quercetin supplements. I have enough from onions and citrus.

Cheers
A

Well, I actually still believe that food can't fully provide enough quercetin for most of its effects. Afterall, there's about 66mg in a ~150 gram apple, and 68mg with a meal of fried onions (ref), but 1 gram of quercetin taken per day for 28 days only leads to about 1.5 micromols in the blood plasma (ref2). Now, about 54% of quercetin is absorbed into the body when eaten with onions, while only 24% when taken as a straight supplement, but that still leads to an effective does of 120mg if you take a 500mg supplement verses the ~36mg you're going to get in your diet (50mg seems to be the max people get from diet typically). Most of quercetin's effects aren't really seen till at or at least near the micromolar range (other than energy boost; for instance radiation protective properties are maximized at 24 micromoles, immune modulatory around 0.5-50 micromoles, and anti-cancer around 20 micromoles), it seems thus far, so such low doses of quercetin might not do much other than spare other flavonoids like resveratrol and allow them to be more effective. For instance, quercetin's ability to protect against illness after exercise was seen at 1 gram/day doses (ref3), but obviously not at the normal dietary levels the participants were bound to be ingesting .

Nevertheless, even apples have enough quercetin to give a small "wake up" boost of energy in the morning, but it's nothing compared to the energy one gets from 500mg of the stuff - the difference is night and day in my experience. So I still personally believe 500mg is a good dose, even if all you want to take it for is boosting resveratrol and energy/focus (which is why I take it), and normal quercetin levels in quercetin rich foods like apples/onions should be enough for the resveratrol boosting effect.

Finally, it appears quercetin does not inhibit Sirt1. There is no evidence what so ever for that other than in a known erroneous, flawed recombinant Sirt1 fluorophor model used by itself outside of cells with a quercetin metabolite. All in vitro studies I can find show no effect by quercetin on Sirt1, and in vivo studies only show it working synergistically with resveratrol over a myriad of resveratrol's roles - though I haven't seen a study that looked exactly at Sirt1 activity when the two were paired, so I could of course be wrong :-D. But, even the increased longevity in C. elegans by quercetin is sirtuin independent it seems.

Edited by geddarkstorm, 20 December 2008 - 07:30 AM.

#28 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 02:18 PM

I actually still believe that food can't fully provide enough quercetin for most of its effects. [...] Nevertheless, even apples have enough quercetin to give a small "wake up" boost of energy in the morning, but it's nothing compared to the energy one gets from 500mg of the stuff

I think the boost of energy you feel from an apple is more likely due to the sugar than to the quercetin. :-D

There are many studies showing extension of life span in various organisms by quercetin. But this one SIRT1 stimulation by polyphenols is affected by their stability and metabolism says:

We show that intracellular activity of SIRT1
in HT29 cells is only stimulated by resveratrol and not by
quercetin. This is probably due to rapid metabolism of quercetin because quercetin 3-O-glucuronide did not stimulate
recombinant SIRT1.

Another study claimed blocking of Sirt1 by quercetin-O-glucuronide.

The situation is not exactly clear. Life extension may have been due to other action of quercetin than sirt1. Interaction with resveratrol is also, as you said, not properly studied.

Edited by Michael, 25 July 2009 - 05:00 PM.
Trim quotes

#29 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

Hi geddarkstorm,

We also have seen the claim of the blocking of SIT1 by quercetin from an older study.

I figured in the most recent study using "Gene-ship" technology we would have seen an increase in SIRT1 with a resveratrol-quercetin mix, but I was surprised that there seemed to be the strong suggestion of the opposite happening. However it's not clear, and it is unknown that It may have been because of quercetin, or another item in the mixture. Consequently, it appears like marketing changed after this development.

Geddarkstorm, can you take a look and comment on the study regarding SIRT1?
http://www.sciencedi...1df3dccca811ec7

We continue to release resveratrol without quercetin, as the likelihood of inhibition of SIRT1 is a continued possibility.

A

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

Crep

We have 8 Trans-resveratrol products, which of these did you want to do your comparison with the competitor's single 100mg cap Crep?

Which one of these did you take?

The Nitro250 (250mg, 99% Micro T-Res with Tween 80)
The R300 (300mg, 50% Regular T-Res)
The X500 (500mg, 99% Regular T-Res with a total 495mg T-Res)
The Micro500 (500mg, 99% Micro T-Res with a total 495mg T-Res)
The X1000 (1000mg, 99% Regular T-Res with a total 990 mg T-Res)
Sirtuin Skin (Resveratrol Cream and 2 Peptides)
Bulk Powder (Regular T-Res)
Bulk Powder (Micro T-Res)

Cheers
A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users