Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Duke's All-Star Supplements

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#91 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

You either weigh 80 grams, or you mean 80.000.000.000 mcg. ;-)

oops

I shouldn't post at 1:30 AM

Edited by lynx, 29 December 2008 - 04:17 PM.

#92 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:19 AM

Selective brain fog regarding calculations of micrograms, a new infectious disease... Duke had it too.

Very nice list by the way, I take all of these daily and some others too.

Edited by unbreakable, 30 December 2008 - 07:27 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 wayside

• 344 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

o Cocoa -- a food supplement, via eating 10-15 grams dark chocolate daily (at least 70% cocoa content). Super dense in antioxidant, and especially polyphenols that lower blood pressure by generating nitric oxide in the endothelium.

What do you think about taking an extract such as LEF BlueBerry Extract with Pomegranate & CocoaGold rather than eating chocolate?

o Coconut oil -- another food supplement, primarily medium length saturated fat that’s processed not in the digestive tract but in the liver. Practically all animals fed coconut oil lose bodyfat, and experience reduced systemic inflammation. Its unique energy producing pathway also poses less oxidative stress on the mitochondria. I eat about 50 grams daily, often a lot more. (Must only get the extra virgin type.) This is my exclusive cooking oil, too.

How "coconutty" does coconut oil taste? Does it make the food taste like coconut?

I *hate* the taste of coconut...

#94 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

Unrefined coconut oil does taste slightly coconutty, its only a hint though. May be enough to prevent you from cooking with it.

#95 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

Nice list though isn't 250 RSV an impure form? People have mentioned having problems with forms that are not 98 or 99% pure. Anyway, I'm surprised to see R-Lipoic Acid missing the list, what are your thoughts on that supplement?

I recommend pure RSV. Although mixing it with tween80 seems like a good idea.

I take 500mg of R-lipoic acid daily. But, unlike the supplements on my list, I'm not as sure lipoic acid will increase lifespan. Same with CoQ10 (any form).

I see, is that how you feel about Vitamin E? According to the book The Vitamin E Factor: The Miraculous Antioxidant for the Prevention and Treatment of Heart Disease, Cancer, and Aging it's the number one supplement cardiologists take to prevent heart disease, so it was surprising it missed your list.

#96 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

I see, is that how you feel about Vitamin E? According to the book The Vitamin E Factor: The Miraculous Antioxidant for the Prevention and Treatment of Heart Disease, Cancer, and Aging it's the number one supplement cardiologists take to prevent heart disease, so it was surprising it missed your list.

There is a book written for every supplement you can think of. All promising miracles.

#97 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:34 AM

Unrefined coconut oil does taste slightly coconutty, its only a hint though. May be enough to prevent you from cooking with it.

I think it's nice on spicy (e.g. Indian, Indonesian) stuff. I don't heat (as in cooking) it, just add it at the end to preserve it's virginess as much as possible.

#98 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:34 AM

There is a book written for every supplement you can think of. All promising miracles.

Your short reply seems vague to me; are you being sarcastic or do you really see them as good things?

Edited by Dmitri, 31 December 2008 - 01:40 AM.

#99 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:52 AM

Your short reply seems vague to me; are you being sarcastic or do you really see them as good things?

No, seriously. There are books based around all kinds of supplements, each one making its subject appear to be the best thing ever:

http://www.amazon.co...g...8188&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co...-...8232&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co...e...8243&sr=1-3
http://www.amazon.co...-...8254&sr=1-1

And the list goes on and on. It's good to be skeptical of what you think you know, and especially about what other people think they know.

#100 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:22 AM

No, seriously. There are books based around all kinds of supplements, each one making its subject appear to be the best thing ever:

http://www.amazon.co...g...8188&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co...-...8232&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.co...e...8243&sr=1-3
http://www.amazon.co...-...8254&sr=1-1

And the list goes on and on. It's good to be skeptical of what you think you know, and especially about what other people think they know.

I noticed that, but there is truth to some of the books; a few are written by doctors and reviewed by University PhDs or other professionals. Didn't you like the Vitamin C book?

Edited by Dmitri, 31 December 2008 - 02:24 AM.

#101 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:47 AM

I noticed that, but there is truth to some of the books; a few are written by doctors and reviewed by University PhDs or other professionals. Didn't you like the Vitamin C book?

I did enjoy Ascorbate. I found it to be higher quality than the others I've read. I also liked Bragg's fasting book, but more for the comedy and big letters. Science-based books are essentially review papers, they are only as good as the research they are based on and the person interpreting that research.

I'm not against Vitamin E or the people that wrote that book, just saying that that line of thinking is dangerous.

#102 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 03:06 AM

o Cocoa -- a food supplement, via eating 10-15 grams dark chocolate daily (at least 70% cocoa content). Super dense in antioxidant, and especially polyphenols that lower blood pressure by generating nitric oxide in the endothelium.

What do you think about taking an extract such as LEF BlueBerry Extract with Pomegranate & CocoaGold rather than eating chocolate?

o Coconut oil -- another food supplement, primarily medium length saturated fat that’s processed not in the digestive tract but in the liver. Practically all animals fed coconut oil lose bodyfat, and experience reduced systemic inflammation. Its unique energy producing pathway also poses less oxidative stress on the mitochondria. I eat about 50 grams daily, often a lot more. (Must only get the extra virgin type.) This is my exclusive cooking oil, too.

How "coconutty" does coconut oil taste? Does it make the food taste like coconut?

I *hate* the taste of coconut...

I love the taste of coconut--among my favorite flavors. When in Italy, I only get coconut gelato (they use real bits of coconut in the mix, too). At home, I'll melt a cup of coconut oil making it liquid, then I'll add in a 10 grams of tea oil, 15 grams of palm oil, and a heaping scoop of my favorite vanilla-flavored whey (although, I bought it for almost half the price of iherb -- just can't remember where). I then let this re-harden and eat several spoonfuls a day, usually with a little square of ultra-dark chocolate per spoonful. OMG DELICIOUS!

If you don't like the taste of coconut, then you can buy MCT oil, which is basically coconut oil minus the flavor, the fiber, and minus all fats that are not saturated. It's pure medium-chain saturated fat, and pours like olive oil. It's a superb cooking oil (under 380 degrees), and I add this oil to my morning shakes and protein shakes, and my turkey chili. Sometimes I'll just drink it from the bottle for a super quick burst of energy--it is he perfect stand in for carbs in this respect.

#103 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 04:03 AM

If you don't like the taste of coconut, then you can buy MCT oil, which is basically coconut oil minus the flavor, the fiber, and minus all fats that are not saturated. It's pure medium-chain saturated fat, and pours like olive oil.

MCT oil has very little lauric acid compared to coconut oil. So, it's not a replacement for coconut oil.

#104 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 11:01 PM

If you don't like the taste of coconut, then you can buy MCT oil, which is basically coconut oil minus the flavor, the fiber, and minus all fats that are not saturated. It's pure medium-chain saturated fat, and pours like olive oil.

MCT oil has very little lauric acid compared to coconut oil. So, it's not a replacement for coconut oil.

But if you're not going to us coconut fat, then MCT oil is the next best thing. It's definitely a good source of healthy saturated fat. And it's a great cooking oil, or addition to protein shakes. Not a day goes by that I don't use MCT oil.

#105 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:09 AM

But if you're not going to us coconut fat, then MCT oil is the next best thing. It's definitely a good source of healthy saturated fat. And it's a great cooking oil, or addition to protein shakes. Not a day goes by that I don't use MCT oil.

Hey duke what brand of niacin do you use?

#106 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 04:29 AM

I just started using Source Natural's "Niacin 250", a time release formula that has an almost imperceptible flush effect. Really impressed by it, so far. I was taking a 100mg pill (not time released), and it would often hit me hard with the face burn and itchy arms.

#107 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

I just started using Source Natural's "Niacin 250", a time release formula that has an almost imperceptible flush effect. Really impressed by it, so far. I was taking a 100mg pill (not time released), and it would often hit me hard with the face burn and itchy arms.

Was it the Source Natural's tablet 100mg? I have a hard time getting up in the morning for classes, and want something that will flush me good.

#108 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Was it the Source Natural's tablet 100mg? I have a hard time getting up in the morning for classes, and want something that will flush me good.

I believe this is the Source Naturals niacin product Duke is referring to:

http://www.iherb.com...x?pid=1311&at=0

(Currently, I take the immediate release Bluebonnet brand niacin 100 mg strength capsules. No flush effect but I take it with a meal. See below for link.)

http://www.iherb.com...p...360649&at=0

Edited by pycnogenol, 01 January 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#109 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:27 PM

I believe this is the Source Naturals niacin product Duke is referring to:

http://www.iherb.com...x?pid=1311&at=0

(Currently, I take the immediate release Bluebonnet brand niacin 100 mg strength capsules. No flush effect but I take it with a meal. See below for link.)

http://www.iherb.com...p...360649&at=0

That last one isn't going to give you a flush because it's nicotinic acid.

My question was, which 100mg pill were u using that gave you that flush?

#110 Kutta

• Guest, F@H
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

Nicotinic acid gives the flush AFAIK - it's just another name for niacin.

Edited by Kutta, 01 January 2009 - 10:52 PM.

#111 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

Nicotinic acid gives the flush AFAIK - it's just another name for niacin.

Exactly right. Nicotinic acid can give a flush effect. I take Niacin (i.e., Vitamin B-3 or 'nicotinic acid')

Flush-free niacin is Inositol Hexanicotinate and that stuff doesn't do jack squat, at least for me. I avoid it myself.

Edited by pycnogenol, 01 January 2009 - 11:24 PM.

#112 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2009 - 01:17 AM

My mistake. So would this niacin be just as likely to give me the flush as any other niacin?

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 02 January 2009 - 01:17 AM.

#113 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 04:28 AM

My mistake. So would this niacin be just as likely to give me the flush as any other niacin?

Yes. I've taken that Bluebonnet brand, and gotten the flush.

#114 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 03:17 AM

Yes. I've taken that Bluebonnet brand, and gotten the flush.

Hey Duke, you mentioned that Vitamin C stays in the body for about 30 minutes, what if you take it with rose hips or bioflavonoids would that help it stay longer in the body? I’m currently taking Carlson laboratories Rose-Hip C which contains 500 mg of ascorbate acid and 132 mg of rose hips. I take one with breakfast and the other with dinner. I know you recommended 2,000 mg but I wanted to see how it reacted with my stomach, I read certain individuals cannot stomach large doses of C.

#115 VinceG

• 48 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 06:01 PM

I like the list and already take most of the supplements listed. They constitute an important subset of those in my Anti-Aging Firewalls regimen (http://www.vincegiul...ngfirewalls.htm). An important exception is niacin (nicotinamide), a substance I used to take but which I have discontinued except for small amounts in a B-complex tablet. The reasons were that nicotinamide suppresses the longevity gene FOXO4, the opposite of what resveratrol does (http://www.ncbi.nlm....ov/sites/entrez), amd that nicotinamide supresses the expression of telomerase (http://www.ncbi.nlm....Pubmed_RVDocSum). Since both FOXO4 activation via resveratrol and telomerase activation via astragaloside IV are part of my longevity program, I discontinued use of nicotinamide.
On the other hand there seems to be evidence that nicotinamide can extend replicative lifespan in certain tissues, probably due to a telomerase-independent channel of operation (http://www.ncbi.nlm....=citationsensor). I am comntinueing to be on the lookout for further research on the longevity effects of this substance.

#116 Steve_86

• 266 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the information VinceG. I'm going to stop taking Niacin for now and do some research.

DukeNukem:
What are your thoughts on CoQ10 vs Idebenone?

#117 Kutta

• Guest, F@H
  • 94 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:03 AM

The reasons were that nicotinamide suppresses the longevity gene FOXO4, the opposite of what resveratrol does

You might be wrong about that. Geddarkstorm is doing some great research on the subject and it seems niacinamide could actually boost resveratrol's activity.

http://www.imminst.o...o...c=27350&hl=

#118 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

Hey Duke I was wondering what your opinion on this is?

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 30 January 2009 - 09:02 AM.

#119 zawy

• 291 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:10 PM

o Vitamin C -- 2000mg daily, in divided dosages (vit C has a half-life under an hour, so its benefits are not long lasting, and therefore need to be replenished several times daily).

Actually, 6 hours after ingestion of 1 g, vitamin C blood levels have dropped enormously, but they are still 4 times higher than the steady-state value that you get from ingesting 200 mg/day. The kidneys have to maintain extra vitamin C "pumps" to keep this minimal amount of vitamin C in the blood stream. Based on this, Levin at NIH concluded that nature only wants us to have 200 mg/day and claimed Linus Pauling was not privy to this "new information". However, 20 years before the Levin research, Linus Pauling had used the exact same data (200 mg/day gives steady-state blood levels) to argue that since there is evolutionary pressure to remove the burden of the vitamin C pumps, 200 mg/day should be considered an absolute minimum instead of a max. Combine this with a "paleolithic" diet that afforded several doses per day of vit C equaling 2 g/d (equal to what primates in zoos are required to get) and it seems like 2 g/d could be a more reasonable minimum for maybe 80% of the population and optimum for 20% of the population. This does not alter DukeNukem's recommendation, except to say that 500 mg 4 times a day is a lot more beneficial over a larger portion of the day than simply saying "benefits are not long lasting". I prefer 1 g 4 times per day as powder mixed in pompegranate juice, prepared once per week from surpisingly inexpensive pomegranate concentrate. Grape and orange juice works great, but not as healthy. POM tastes great, but lordy that would be expensive.

o Vitamin K2 -- a very recent superstar, especially as a regulator of calcium, and keeping it from arterial accumulation (all plaque is approx 20-25% calcium). In fact, animal studies show complete coronary calcium reversal with K2. Most people are greatly deficient. 5mg a day recommended.

Where in the world do you get 5 mg/day? I see 0.09 mg supplements.

o Niacin -- probably the best booster of HDL, which is highly protective of arterial disease. The key is to not take the no-flush version, which does not raise HDL. I take 100mg morning, and the same at night. The flushing is five minutes of discomfort I do not mind at all, because I look at it as feedback that it's working.

I sometimes take 1 g three times a day in order to get the reported 20% or so increase in HDL. I would be surprised if 100 mg twice a day did much. The flushing goes away after the first day if you take 2 g/d every day. It's amazing how many doctors don't know this. There's a lot of conflicting info on if plain niacin is harmful at all. A lot of fears were initiated years ago by liver damage from pharmaceutical preparations that included time release. Dr Hoffer says he's been giving 3 g/day to thousands of people and never seen it cause a liver problem.

o Coconut oil -- another food supplement, primarily medium length saturated fat that's processed not in the digestive tract but in the liver. Practically all animals fed coconut oil lose bodyfat, and experience reduced systemic inflammation. Its unique energy producing pathway also poses less oxidative stress on the mitochondria. I eat about 50 grams daily, often a lot more. (Must only get the extra virgin type.) This is my exclusive cooking oil, too.

50 g of oil? 450 calories? That would be 25% of my caloric intake. I would be reduced to blueberries, 2 egg whites, pomegranate juice, 1/2 can salmon, coffee/dark cocoa powder/whey protein drink "breakfast" and a handful of vitamins. Wouldn't hardly have caloric room for flax seeds and broccoli. Just kidding. I'll try 5 g or 10 g coconut oil.

o Melatonin -- this hormone is the most important brain antioxidant, with numerous other significant full-body benefits.

God that stuff used to knock me out for 20 hours. Maybe I'll give it a try again.

(Just missing this list:.... pomegranate extract, blueberry extract.)

I don't know what all they put in the "WONF" (with other natural ingredients), but pomegranate concentrate is cheaper and about 20 times more concentrated than 2 pomegranates. One blueberry extract I bought was apparently just dried blueberry.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#120 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 02:17 AM

Where in the world do you get 5 mg/day? I see 0.09 mg supplements.

Hey zawy. The 0.09 mg supplements are K2-MK7. If you dose K2-MK4, you generally take more. A blog posting discussing both forms can be found here.

StephenB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users