• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Your favorite noot?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Poll: Which nootropic do you prefer and use? (314 member(s) have cast votes)

For nootropic effect I prefer and use...

1. Modafinil / Adrafinil (63 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

2. Deprenyl (or other MAO-A/B inhibitors; e.g. Lazabemide) (31 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

3. Coffee and/or tea and/or Nicotine (92 votes [14.13%])

Percentage of vote: 14.13%

4. Racetams (138 votes [21.20%])

Percentage of vote: 21.20%

5. Amino acids and neurotransmitters precursors (e.g. ALCAR, GABA, 5-HTP, Sulbutiamine, etc.) (64 votes [9.83%])

Percentage of vote: 9.83%

6. Choline (in any form, and/or B-vitamins and similar substances, like Pyritinol and Inositol) (62 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

7. Huperzine A (19 votes [2.92%])

Percentage of vote: 2.92%

8. Piribedil (4 votes [0.61%])

Percentage of vote: 0.61%

9. Desmopressin / Amantadine / Neurontin (4 votes [0.61%])

Percentage of vote: 0.61%

10. Hormones (e.g. HGH; or hormone precursors; e.g. Vasopressin, DHEA) (14 votes [2.15%])

Percentage of vote: 2.15%

11. Herbs (e.g. Bacopa, Ashwagandha, Ginkgo, etc.) and/or EFAs (76 votes [11.67%])

Percentage of vote: 11.67%

12. External influences (e.g. mnemonic devices or organization/motivation methods like Yoga) (23 votes [3.53%])

Percentage of vote: 3.53%

13. Methylphenidate / Dextroamphetamine (30 votes [4.61%])

Percentage of vote: 4.61%

14. Other Amphetamines (15 votes [2.30%])

Percentage of vote: 2.30%

15. Other dopamine/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors/enhancers (e.g. Bupropion, Tianeptine) (16 votes [2.46%])

Percentage of vote: 2.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:25 PM

You are what you think....

You are what you eat. Diet and exercise are of enormous importance.

You are what you think....

Yes. Think placebo. It's cheap.

#32 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:23 AM

You are what you eat. Diet and exercise are of enormous importance.

I agree, and you are also what you think.

Yes. Think placebo. It's cheap.

Thinking your way into energy and intensity and insight and empathy and critical and free thinking forward moving action and stuff like that is much more than your average placebo effect. Nootropics are good, but it should be well supplemented with a healthy balance of thinking your way into focus and energy and all that.

Edited by brokenportal, 08 March 2009 - 06:26 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

Yup. A good balanced diet is the core. If you want to take nootropics (which I would not) without a balanced diet, you are heading for short-time results and long-term disaster. It depends a bit on the kind of noot, but without a proper core most of them have a hight risk of inducing (neurotransmitter) unbalances. Most of them are effective in correcting unbalances and hence are very capable of creating opposite unbalances if applied incorrectly. Furthermore, most of the freely available noots lack the decent research background that is needed to judge chemical substances on their suitability for long-term human use. But that's just me with my opinion again... ;)

#34 sjaakie

• 9 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:41 PM

If you can choose between Ritalin, racetams, Modafinil what is your preferred one?

Edited by sjaakie, 27 May 2009 - 05:44 PM.

#35 fatboy

• 286 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:21 AM

None of the above. I much prefer the hallucinogenic version of Hydergine than anything else. :|w

http://en.wikipedia..../Albert_Hofmann

http://en.wikipedia....id_diethylamide

Thank you, Albert Hofmann

(for all you young whippersnappers reading this, no, I'm am not kidding)

While I appreciate the cognitive reset which can occur with the hallucogenic version of Hydergine, I am more interested in your personal experiences with the non-hallucinogenic version of Hydergine. It runs like $375/month U.S. dollars for typical dosages. Is it worth it? (The hallucogenic versions are much cheaper but can only be done on a regular basis by the truly gifted.)

#36 kilgoretrout

• 245 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

Does anybody have any positive or negative experience with DMAE?

I voted external influences but I am still on the look out for good nootropic pills. The next things Im going to be ordering to try out are piracetam and modanafil.

I find that things like exercise, intense songs with meaning or feel to them thats in line with the cause, good intense meaningful thought provoking movies etc.. are what work the best for me. You are what you think, so if you are trying to think intensely and deeply and urgently and all that more then you are those things more.

DMAE-H3 Liquid from Twinlab = DMAE somehow reacted with PABA makes it across BBB easier. I always found this to be great; feel it very quickly... never sure if I am feeling anything from powdered DMAE in caps or not.

It is supposedly the same thing as a brain booster of lore caller I think Deanol? Deaner?

I take it along with Aniracetam as well as Lecithin as a fat source since Ani is fat-soluble. Combo works great. Usually also add 5-10g Glutamine, which is excellent rejuvinator/stress-buster for brain & muscles (& extremely good for intestinal well-being). Sometimes include a SMALL amount of Piracetam... seems to be some nice synergy with the Aniratetam (though if I use Piracetam on its own, even with the DMAE I get sleepy/foggy... wierd how reactions between Pira/Ani -cetam seems split about 50/50... is this telling us something about some genetic "personality type" or brain structure differentiation in the population?)

One thing I used to love taking I have not seen metioned here, perhaps it would be good to remind people about (it has been mentioned at Imminst before):

L-PYROGLUTAMIC ACID (aka PYROGUTAMATE)

More than DMAE, more than standard amino precursors, more even then Aniracetam, I always found that when on this I got a really remarkable sense of well-being alterness & focus. I like the way the emailer to Sahelian below puts it: "a keen feeling of concentration" way better than any -racetam or caffeine etc. Almost like a smooth non-jittery amphetamine high. From an amino? I was quite suprised. (But watch out... it needs to be taken on an empty stomach, but more than 1g can cause pretty strong stomach upset... it tastes like battery acid in the mouth, one of the sourest things in existence I think).

I was using the 1g tabs from Source Naturals. Too bad I could not find it in capsules... which ought to help quell the stomach issues, keeping it high and dry till it is a little closer to the intestines.

After seeing the following, I am going to have to try adding this to the regimen above:

Pyroglutamate supplement by Ray Sahelian, M.D.
http://www.raysaheli...oglutamate.html
"...Pyroglutamate Emails
I’m taking smart pills pyroglutamate with piracetam, and I’m feeling very energized with a keen feeling of concentration. Piracetam at 200 mg only gave a feeling of confusion, but as soon as I combine it with this pyroglutamate, the effects were remarkable. My short term memory has also increased...."

As it turns out:

http://www.smart-dru...-Nootropics.htm
"The four main commercially available "racetam" nootropics all share a pyrrolidine nucleus, while Piracetam, Oxiracetam, and Pramiracetam, also share an acetyl group. The racetams (especially Piracetam and Oxiracetam) are closely related in structure to the amino acid Pyroglutamic Acid. Pyroglutamic Acid has been shown in some studies to have weak nootropic activity (Gouliaev and Senning 1994). Pyroglutamic Acid is naturally present in many human foods, as well as the mammalian brain."

http://keywen.com/en/OXIRACETAM

PYROGLUTAMIC ACIDUpDw('PYROGLUTAMIC_ACID','-Abz-'); Posted Image Posted Image
  • The racetams (especially Piracetam and Oxiracetam) are closely related in structure to the amino acid Pyroglutamic Acid. (Web site)UpDw('PYROGLUTAMIC_ACID','6e3aca1');
  • Oxiracetam, aniracetam and pyroglutamic acid prevent brain acetylcholine decrease and amnesia induced by scopolamine.UpDw('PYROGLUTAMIC_ACID','ff40754'); Posted Image
<H1 class=articleheading>Pyroglutamic Acid: The Natural Brain-boosting Nutrient That Can Improve Mental Fatigue And A Poor Memory
http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/natural-health-articles/mental-health/pyroglutamic-acid-improve-mental-fatigue-00926.html
</H1>"...Researchers have found that it possesses brain-boosting properties without causing harmful side effects..."

"An animal study carried out by Russian researchers found that pyroglutamic acid was just as effective in improving memory and learning as prescription-only medications, such as Piracetam.4

In fact, Dr Ward Dean, a founding member of the Board of the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, believes that: 'Pyroglutamic acid is the nutritional equivalent to the most popular pharmaceutical-grade prescription-only smart drugs.'

The memory-boosting abilities of pyroglutamic acid have also been proved in human studies. Scientists at the department of Neurological Pathology at the University of Catania, in Italy, compared pyroglutamic acid against a placebo (dummy) treatment.

The two-month study involved 40 patients aged 65 and above, who were all suffering from memory problems. Half of these patients received pyroglutamic acid every day for two months, while the other half, who made up the control group, received a placebo. At the end of the study the researchers found that the group taking pyroglutamic acid demonstrated significant improvements in memory function, compared to the control group.5"

#37 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:56 PM

For me, nothing competes with GABAergic drugs.

I really wish I could find something that doesn't build tolerance and dependence.

#38 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:06 PM

I've been taking various doses of taurine, ALCAR and ginkgo biloba for their claimed nootropic effects for a while now. I haven't noticed anything so far. Except a few times when taking taurine before bed, it seems to affect sleep. More vivid dreams perhaps.

Has anyone actually noticed an effect from taking these? How much do you take?

EDIT: Coffee is pretty much my positive control these days. The effects are very noticeable. Everything else I've tried pales in comparison.

Edited by JLL, 21 July 2009 - 12:07 PM.

#39 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:42 PM

For me, nothing competes with GABAergic drugs.

I really wish I could find something that doesn't build tolerance and dependence.

things like l-theanine you mean?

#40 kilgoretrout

• 245 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

I've been taking various doses of taurine, ALCAR and ginkgo biloba for their claimed nootropic effects for a while now. I haven't noticed anything so far. Except a few times when taking taurine before bed, it seems to affect sleep. More vivid dreams perhaps.

Try taking them 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

Use from 2000-3000mg of the ALCAR. 2000mg is the LOW end of where most people seem to feel a noticable effect: improved alertness, clarity, etc... and it can mostly or completely eliminate feelings of fatigue if for instance you did not sleep enough, for 3-4 hours usually.

#41 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

Try taking them 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach.

Use from 2000-3000mg of the ALCAR. 2000mg is the LOW end of where most people seem to feel a noticable effect: improved alertness, clarity, etc... and it can mostly or completely eliminate feelings of fatigue if for instance you did not sleep enough, for 3-4 hours usually.

I do take them in the morning on an empty stomach. I think 1,300 mg is the highest ALCAR dose I've tried. It's gonna be pretty expensive at those levels, no?

A couple of times when taking ALCAR + ginkgo biloba before jogging I have noticed an increase in energy levels, but it could be placebo, too.

#42 Guest_Isochroma_*

• Lurker

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:02 AM

Piracetam is my favorite so far, but the only other racetam I've tried is Orphan Annie - Aniracetam.

#43 russianBEAR

• 432 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:01 PM

Cerebrolysin blows all these "racetams" and other sugar pills for kiddies right out of that water, that's my favorite. A proper poll option for those would be something like "peptide noots" or maybe yall pharm experts can come up with a much better term.

Cortexin does too, but I don't like it, partly because its hard to get a novacaine solution and if you shoot it with water its a literal pain in the butt.

Also how are amphetamines nootropics ? That option shuld be removed I think.

Edited by russianBEAR, 31 August 2009 - 05:03 PM.

#44 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:30 PM

Green Tea and Pilates if that counts (It's not quite yoga but it's close enough)

#45 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

Green Tea and Pilates if that counts (It's not quite yoga but it's close enough)

What effects does green tea produce for you?

#46 LIB

• 232 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:36 PM

CDP-Choline seems to have the most affect for me.

Other noticeable noots for me:

ALCAR
Phosphatidylserine

#47 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:30 PM

CDP-Choline seems to have the most affect for me.

Other noticeable noots for me:

ALCAR
Phosphatidylserine

What effects exactly do get from CDP and how long does it last before you need to pop another pill?
Thanks

#48 LIB

• 232 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:43 PM

I'm more focused, better mood, better memory, more motivated.

In terms of how long it lasts, I take one at say 8 am another around 1pm.

#49 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:49 PM

Cool. I ordered some 3 days ago but iherb seems to have a problem. Everythings been delayed by a week it seems. Can't wait to get mine!

#50 LIB

• 232 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:18 AM

Cool. I ordered some 3 days ago but iherb seems to have a problem. Everythings been delayed by a week it seems. Can't wait to get mine!

Weird. I just received my CDP choline from iherb yesterday. Took a day longer than normal. Usually iherb is flawless.

CDP-choline doesn't give me any sort of...super human cognitive skills or anything. But in terms of my neurochemistry, its very helpful.

#51 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:34 AM

Weird. I just received my CDP choline from iherb yesterday. Took a day longer than normal. Usually iherb is flawless.

CDP-choline doesn't give me any sort of...super human cognitive skills or anything. But in terms of my neurochemistry, its very helpful.

Well mine is international order, so im ordering over to Londo. Maybe that's the reason.
My order from the 28th of semptember is still stated as "ready to ship".

I've never experienced this kind of delay but appearantly it's due to Inventory and system upgrade. However im losing patience because they told me twice it would be sent on a specific day and twice it has not.

#52 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:04 PM

Man iherb is pissing me off!!!!

#53 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:26 PM

nito, have you got your order from iherb?
My order was placed on Sep.28 as well. At the time I was placing my order, I was informed that due to their renovating of warehouse, the order would be shipped in 1-3 days. I thought 3 days was OK, I accepted and placed my order. 3 days after I sent an email asked them about my order, I got their reply told my that my order would be shipped out in 1-2 days. I waited for another 5 days and send them email asking about my order. They replied told my that my order would be shipped "in next a few days". They didn't even say a single "sorry" in their reply. After another 2 days which was 10 days after my placing the order I told them that if they couldn't ship my order in that day I would like to cancel my order. They replied saying that my order would be shipped in 1 week. Another one week again? I was extremely pissed off. I sent them an email to ask them to simply cancel my order, since then I've sent another 3 email asking for the cancellation of the order but I never got any reply. In the last email I told them that I was still holding my negative review and hope them not forcing me to give negative review. No reply, that being said they don't care of negative reviews at all now.
Since somebody is saying that he got his packet on time, I'm guessing that the iherb.com is utilizing this strategy: Because of their renovating of warehouse and updating of their system, they have very limited resources, however, there are so many orders in their hands, so they give the newest order the highest priority to avoid making new customers unhappy. For customers like myself who have been extremely frustrated, the chance is that they would never order from iherb.com in the future thus they no longer care about these angry customers and put their orders to lowest priority. This is unfair to the customers who have been waiting for the shipment of their orders for two weeks. I have to say that iherb is not a responsible company and these people are basically the group that are lack of moral. My order has been there for 2 weeks now and I just checked the status, still the desperately "Ready to Ship". Now I just want to cancel my order and buy it from somewhere else but they simply don't respond my email. Can anybody give me some advice on what I can do? Can I call my credit card company for help?

#54 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:19 AM

My order was placed on Sep.28 as well. At the time I was placing my order, I was informed that due to their renovating of warehouse, the order would be shipped in 1-3 days. I thought 3 days was OK, I accepted and placed my order. 3 days after I sent an email asked them about my order, I got their reply told my that my order would be shipped out in 1-2 days. I waited for another 5 days and send them email asking about my order. They replied told my that my order would be shipped "in next a few days". They didn't even say a single "sorry" in their reply. After another 2 days which was 10 days after my placing the order I told them that if they couldn't ship my order in that day I would like to cancel my order. They replied saying that my order would be shipped in 1 week. Another one week again? I was extremely pissed off. I sent them an email to ask them to simply cancel my order, since then I've sent another 3 email asking for the cancellation of the order but I never got any reply. In the last email I told them that I was still holding my negative review and hope them not forcing me to give negative review. No reply, that being said they don't care of negative reviews at all now.
Since somebody is saying that he got his packet on time, I'm guessing that the iherb.com is utilizing this strategy: Because of their renovating of warehouse and updating of their system, they have very limited resources, however, there are so many orders in their hands, so they give the newest order the highest priority to avoid making new customers unhappy. For customers like myself who have been extremely frustrated, the chance is that they would never order from iherb.com in the future thus they no longer care about these angry customers and put their orders to lowest priority. This is unfair to the customers who have been waiting for the shipment of their orders for two weeks. I have to say that iherb is not a responsible company and these people are basically the group that are lack of moral. My order has been there for 2 weeks now and I just checked the status, still the desperately "Ready to Ship". Now I just want to cancel my order and buy it from somewhere else but they simply don't respond my email. Can anybody give me some advice on what I can do? Can I call my credit card company for help?

Well i made my order on the 28th of september. On the 30th i asked why it didn't ship since it says if you order before 1 pm on a weekday it should ship the same day. Their reply was inventory and upgrade issues. On the 2nd 3rd 7th, 8th and 9th i got the same reply. The status still said "ready to ship". But to my surprise on the 8th, after 10 days of placing the order, it suddenly came through the post despite the fact it still said "ready to ship" So i guess the information on the system had not been updated.

I just checked my email and it now says "product shipped" on both my orders, the one i ordered on the 28th which i received on time and also another one i ordered on the 5th of october which probably will also be received on time.
It's rather confusing though that it says "ready to ship" hence why we both got fed up. Nonetheless it came through on time and my doubts in iherb have been reversed which means i will continue shopping with them.

I hope yours is sorted out soon.

/ Nito

#55 cougar

• 114 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:29 AM

Well i made my order on the 28th of september. On the 30th i asked why it didn't ship since it says if you order before 1 pm on a weekday it should ship the same day. Their reply was inventory and upgrade issues. On the 2nd 3rd 7th, 8th and 9th i got the same reply. The status still said "ready to ship". But to my surprise on the 8th, after 10 days of placing the order, it suddenly came through the post despite the fact it still said "ready to ship" So i guess the information on the system had not been updated.

I just checked my email and it now says "product shipped" on both my orders, the one i ordered on the 28th which i received on time and also another one i ordered on the 5th of october which probably will also be received on time.
It's rather confusing though that it says "ready to ship" hence why we both got fed up. Nonetheless it came through on time and my doubts in iherb have been reversed which means i will continue shopping with them.

I hope yours is sorted out soon.

/ Nito

I just received their email telling me my order has been shipped out today and they gave me the UPS tracking number. However this is the 15th day since the placing of the order. Absolutely not "On Time". In the future, whenever possible, I will try not to buy from iherb.

#56 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:42 PM

But iHerb is cheap and cheap shipping.

Fav. nootropic. Really I'm not sure.

Yohimbine HCL is worth a shout. Sleep supplements theanine, GABA, GABOB, Ldopa, 1-carboxy are all okay.

Monofinil I'd expect to be high on the list here. Surprised piracetam/choline hasn't been mentioned.

As for ALCAR I'm obviously not taking enough of it. 2g a day ... wow.

I'll go for herbal extracts icariin, maca, Rhodiola. Currently trying piracetam/CDP choline and it seems good but too soon to say anything about.

Rhodiola is effective immediately. Most of herbs icariin for example take a whilst to get going and need heavy dosing.

Edited by matthias7, 13 October 2009 - 07:44 PM.

#57 Bluejay1

• 66 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:42 PM

Have to agree with russianBear on this one... Peptides are certainly superior to racetams.. Plus the racetams feel so unnatural.. really horrid mood flattening effect. Ive even tried prami, ani , ox-, etc .. the best effect i could get from any racetam was having random flashes of useless recall.

Amphetamines are just about the the farthest thing from nootropic I can think of except for perhaps meth and liquid Draino.

Deltaran would be interesting. Russians definitely know their stuff, I bet they'd have to in order to survive the amount of Vodka they consume.

#58 tritium

• 384 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 09:43 PM

Would Yohimbine be considered as a nootripic? Or would you consider it's effects to be negative, similar to caffeine? I read somewhere that it has a possible effect of increasing dopamine. What are your experiences with this?

I have tried it a few times and it really has a stimulatory effect. I probably have been taking too much, since I didn't have a very accurate scale until now. I mean its really hard to measure 1mg. I probably have been taking over 10mg with my old scale. Too much and you will probably die. I might have better results now that I can measure it.

#59 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 02:26 AM

man i need day time energy. Mine are down due to spells of depression. I have b-complex but i hardly feel the difference. What would be a suitable suggestio? L-tyrosine?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

Very good poll. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users