• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Your favorite noot?

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Poll: Which nootropic do you prefer and use? (314 member(s) have cast votes)

For nootropic effect I prefer and use...

1. Modafinil / Adrafinil (63 votes [9.68%])

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

2. Deprenyl (or other MAO-A/B inhibitors; e.g. Lazabemide) (31 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

3. Coffee and/or tea and/or Nicotine (92 votes [14.13%])

Percentage of vote: 14.13%

4. Racetams (138 votes [21.20%])

Percentage of vote: 21.20%

5. Amino acids and neurotransmitters precursors (e.g. ALCAR, GABA, 5-HTP, Sulbutiamine, etc.) (64 votes [9.83%])

Percentage of vote: 9.83%

6. Choline (in any form, and/or B-vitamins and similar substances, like Pyritinol and Inositol) (62 votes [9.52%])

Percentage of vote: 9.52%

7. Huperzine A (19 votes [2.92%])

Percentage of vote: 2.92%

8. Piribedil (4 votes [0.61%])

Percentage of vote: 0.61%

9. Desmopressin / Amantadine / Neurontin (4 votes [0.61%])

Percentage of vote: 0.61%

10. Hormones (e.g. HGH; or hormone precursors; e.g. Vasopressin, DHEA) (14 votes [2.15%])

Percentage of vote: 2.15%

11. Herbs (e.g. Bacopa, Ashwagandha, Ginkgo, etc.) and/or EFAs (76 votes [11.67%])

Percentage of vote: 11.67%

12. External influences (e.g. mnemonic devices or organization/motivation methods like Yoga) (23 votes [3.53%])

Percentage of vote: 3.53%

13. Methylphenidate / Dextroamphetamine (30 votes [4.61%])

Percentage of vote: 4.61%

14. Other Amphetamines (15 votes [2.30%])

Percentage of vote: 2.30%

15. Other dopamine/norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors/enhancers (e.g. Bupropion, Tianeptine) (16 votes [2.46%])

Percentage of vote: 2.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 longevitynow

• 266 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:29 AM

deep sleep

I'll second that.

Although, It's semi-mythical at this point.

I do believe deep sleep is/will be one of the Holy Grails of cognitive rejuvenation. Anyone see David Bowie deteriorate in "The Hunger" when he couldn't sleep. In any case, how about nootropic enhancement of deep sleep...

#62 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:12 AM

deep sleep

I'll second that.

Although, It's semi-mythical at this point.

I do believe deep sleep is/will be one of the Holy Grails of cognitive rejuvenation. Anyone see David Bowie deteriorate in "The Hunger" when he couldn't sleep. In any case, how about nootropic enhancement of deep sleep...

Actually I find amitriptyline works quite well now. Morning drowsiness may be an issue though.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 vitaman

• 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:16 AM

(for all you young whippersnappers reading this, no, I'm am not kidding)

I am(was)with you on that one! <SIGH> those were the days.

#64 vitaman

• 10 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:22 AM

Prami and the other racetams are my mainstay. Also various vitamins and aminos. Fish oil! phosphatidylserine, bacopa, ashwaganda and other adaptogens, relora, and I cycle on and off hydergine.

Ihave recently started experiementing with pyritinol- liking it!

I do use modafinil- but not as a nootropic, to treat my sleep disorders, so I did not vote it. Cant say it is nootropic when it is just keeping me from nodding off!

#65 dlima

• 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:16 AM

None of the above. I much prefer the hallucinogenic version of Hydergine than anything else. :)

It can have quite the impact on the mind...

#66 Moddy2012

• 83 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 04:17 PM

Hey, notice how Modafinil started to catch up to Racetams and your run-of-the-mill Coffee and Tea.

Modafinil is not coffee or piracetam, it actually works. It is however very expensive if you live in the US, however its possible to get it from Canada if you have a doctor's script. Alertec is the brand name in Canada and there is also a generic Canadian brand.
  • dislike x 2

#67 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2011 - 07:00 AM

Steelsky: I remember reading SEVERAL posts that have a laundry list of precautions to be aware of when taking Deprenyl. Majority of those posts also reccomend not taking them until you're way past 18yo (though, that may not necessarily apply to you).

Also, as someone with ADHD, I have (recreationally) tried Modafinil. The thing I enjoy about it most is that, though it may be a CNS stim, it's not a PNS stim, so it's generally just a good concentration supporter. Unfortuantely, Modafinil is extremely expensive, and the treatments for which it has been diagnosed for are also very specific. The good thing about Modafinil is that it comes in cheaply made precursors! Thus, Adrafinil to the rescue! Most people are turned off by Adrafinil, because they believe that all of it's "Modafinil" properties are gone in an hour, but this is terribly wrong. The 'half-life' of Adrafinil is simply the time that it's being metabolized into Modafinil! Careful, though, with both. They can be quite taxing on the liver.

Also, steelsky: I am pretty sure LifeMirage on BrainMeta was able to verify that claim, however, seeing as that is just anecdotal back-up from an internet source, I wouldn't be too sure.

NOW..... back on topic.

I've yet to update my Log (which there will be a GIANT one coming up), however, upon recent experimentation, I will say that WITHOUT A DOUBT, my favorite noot is a tie between IDEBENONE and VINPOCETINE. Seriously, Idebenone is such an underrated noot. It's effects are close to instantly noticeable, and since it's half-life in HUMANS is so amazingly long (18 hours), a responsible regimen of constant administrations only builds up the effects. So, since I'm torn between 2 noots now, I will wait until I can say which I find better.

+1

Recently started idebenone again myself. You forget how good it is, a recent trial I had with piracetam wasn't enough to clear the fog but idebenone did this instantly. It's now part of my stack, i'm ditching coq10.

#68 Moddy2012

• 83 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

Steelsky: I remember reading SEVERAL posts that have a laundry list of precautions to be aware of when taking Deprenyl. Majority of those posts also reccomend not taking them until you're way past 18yo (though, that may not necessarily apply to you).

Also, as someone with ADHD, I have (recreationally) tried Modafinil. The thing I enjoy about it most is that, though it may be a CNS stim, it's not a PNS stim, so it's generally just a good concentration supporter. Unfortuantely, Modafinil is extremely expensive, and the treatments for which it has been diagnosed for are also very specific. The good thing about Modafinil is that it comes in cheaply made precursors! Thus, Adrafinil to the rescue! Most people are turned off by Adrafinil, because they believe that all of it's "Modafinil" properties are gone in an hour, but this is terribly wrong. The 'half-life' of Adrafinil is simply the time that it's being metabolized into Modafinil! Careful, though, with both. They can be quite taxing on the liver.

Also, steelsky: I am pretty sure LifeMirage on BrainMeta was able to verify that claim, however, seeing as that is just anecdotal back-up from an internet source, I wouldn't be too sure.

NOW..... back on topic.

I've yet to update my Log (which there will be a GIANT one coming up), however, upon recent experimentation, I will say that WITHOUT A DOUBT, my favorite noot is a tie between IDEBENONE and VINPOCETINE. Seriously, Idebenone is such an underrated noot. It's effects are close to instantly noticeable, and since it's half-life in HUMANS is so amazingly long (18 hours), a responsible regimen of constant administrations only builds up the effects. So, since I'm torn between 2 noots now, I will wait until I can say which I find better.

Adrafinil is hard on your liver and it takes time for you body to convert into modafinil. You also need to take a lot of it to work. 600 mg Adrafini is equal to 200 mg Modafinil. The price of Modafinil is going to fall next year when generics come out. Cephalon is replacing Modafinil with Nuvigil.

#69 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:21 AM

I submit that a new category, for IDRA-21, should be added. That stuff is phenomenal.

#70 Ichoose2live

• 200 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:51 AM

I submit that a new category, for IDRA-21, should be added. That stuff is phenomenal.

Did you saw this ?

Modulation of kainate--activated currents by diazoxide and cyclothiazide analogues (IDRA) in cerebellar granule neurons.
Puia G, Losi G, Razzini G, Braghiroli D, Di Bella M, Baraldi M.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Modena, Italy.

Abstract
1. Patch-clamp technique was used in primary cultures of cerebellar granule neurons to study the modulation of the cyclothiazide analogue (IDRA21) and of the diazoxide derivative (IDRA 5) on KA-evoked currents. 2. The dose-response of kainic acid (KA) reveals an EC50=90 microM and an Hill coefficient of 1.3. IDRA 21 and cyclothiazide potentiate KA-evoked current in a dose dependent way, being cyclothiazide more potent but less efficacious than IDRA 21. Conversely IDRA 5 acts as a negative modulator of KA evoked -current. 3. Application of IDRA 21 and cyclothiazide results in a current potentiation of 125+/-18% and 80+/-12% respectively, while IDRA 5 decreases KA-current (-21+/-5%). Coapplication of cyclothiazide and IDRA 21 produces a potentiation of 110+/-17%, suggesting a competition of the two drugs for the same site. 4. In the same experimental model we studied the ability of IDRA compounds of promoting toxicity through AMPA-receptor activation. Under basal conditions AMPA treatment (50 microM for 1 hour) results in a negligible excitotoxicity. 5. In contrast similar treatment with AMPA + IDRA 21 (1 mM) or + IDRA 5 (1 mM) or + cyclothiazide (100 microM) induces citotoxicity. The neurotoxic damage induced by IDRA 21 and cyclothiazide is blocked by GYKI 53655 (50 microM) and by NBQX (10 microM). Interestingly GYKI and NBQX are ineffective in reducing IDRA 5 toxicity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11041540

And this one http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9192690
This stuff seems as powerful as toxic...

Edited by Ichoose2live, 13 March 2011 - 04:53 AM.

#71 Imagination

• 350 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

After trying loads for years, the only one I noticed to have a good effect was vinpocetine.

But after I stopped taking it for a while then started up again I got seriously tired straight away, not sure why, just took some a few hours ago and no tiredness yet , hopefully it will last and it was something else in combination causing the tiredness.

#72 Ichoose2live

• 200 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 08:52 PM

Did you saw this ?

Modulation of kainate--activated currents by diazoxide and cyclothiazide analogues (IDRA) in cerebellar granule neurons.
Puia G, Losi G, Razzini G, Braghiroli D, Di Bella M, Baraldi M.

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Modena, Italy.

Abstract
1. Patch-clamp technique was used in primary cultures of cerebellar granule neurons to study the modulation of the cyclothiazide analogue (IDRA21) and of the diazoxide derivative (IDRA 5) on KA-evoked currents. 2. The dose-response of kainic acid (KA) reveals an EC50=90 microM and an Hill coefficient of 1.3. IDRA 21 and cyclothiazide potentiate KA-evoked current in a dose dependent way, being cyclothiazide more potent but less efficacious than IDRA 21. Conversely IDRA 5 acts as a negative modulator of KA evoked -current. 3. Application of IDRA 21 and cyclothiazide results in a current potentiation of 125+/-18% and 80+/-12% respectively, while IDRA 5 decreases KA-current (-21+/-5%). Coapplication of cyclothiazide and IDRA 21 produces a potentiation of 110+/-17%, suggesting a competition of the two drugs for the same site. 4. In the same experimental model we studied the ability of IDRA compounds of promoting toxicity through AMPA-receptor activation. Under basal conditions AMPA treatment (50 microM for 1 hour) results in a negligible excitotoxicity. 5. In contrast similar treatment with AMPA + IDRA 21 (1 mM) or + IDRA 5 (1 mM) or + cyclothiazide (100 microM) induces citotoxicity. The neurotoxic damage induced by IDRA 21 and cyclothiazide is blocked by GYKI 53655 (50 microM) and by NBQX (10 microM). Interestingly GYKI and NBQX are ineffective in reducing IDRA 5 toxicity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11041540

And this one http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9192690
This stuff seems as powerful as toxic...

IDRA-21 (up to 100 microM) is devoid of neurotoxicity. - http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9192690
My bad... So where do you get this stuff?:-D

Edited by Ichoose2live, 30 March 2011 - 08:53 PM.

#73 nezxon

• 218 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

I voted for Racetams (Ani/Oxi/Prami/Pira), Adrafinil, Choline (Centrophenoxine and Alpha GPC specifically), and Huperzine A. After some experimentation, I found those eight nootropics to be the ones I prefer above the others I have tried. I would prefer Modafinil, but I haven't sought a prescription for it. Adrafinil appears to be identical to Modafinil for my purposes so I don't mind using it as an alternative.

#74 diana_2000

• 37 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

After trying loads for years, the only one I noticed to have a good effect was vinpocetine.
But after I stopped taking it for a while then started up again I got seriously tired straight away, not sure why

It happened the same to me. When I resumed taking it I felt tired and asthenic.

#75 Uncle

• 14 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:46 PM

I'm very new to the world of Noots, so I've been reading quite a lot of threads - old & new on this forum to get a rough low down on them.

One thing I've pretty much established from reading these threads is that there almost certainly seems to be a pattern of negative responses from most posters. Such as side effects, no effects, or hardly any noticeable effects. The noticeable effects that are experienced are also maybe seen as a kind of placebo effect.

So the overall impression I'm getting so far is that they don't really produce any real radical results as such.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting people to become Einstein overnight or anything like that. I'm just surprised at how minimal the effects appear to be in most cases.

Any thoughts on this anyone?

#76 hooter

• 504 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

1) Cerebrolysin
2) Piracetam with fish oil

---

Hope to try methylene blue

#77 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

1) Cerebrolysin
2) Piracetam with fish oil

---

Hope to try methylene blue

This is hilarious. Buy a pair of shoes and some cerebro...

http://www.chinaqual...y-cerebrolysin/

Wonder if it´s authentic... :ph34r:

#78 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 12:12 AM

#79 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

AMP! AMP! AMP!

#80 hooter

• 504 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Updated List of Favorite Noots:
1) 5mg 4-aco-dmt / psilocin
2) 5-10mg dl-amphetamine
3) Cerebrolysin
4) Piracetam
5) Hydergine

>_>

#81 Heraclitean

• 134 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:01 AM

I'm very new to the world of Noots, so I've been reading quite a lot of threads - old & new on this forum to get a rough low down on them.

One thing I've pretty much established from reading these threads is that there almost certainly seems to be a pattern of negative responses from most posters. Such as side effects, no effects, or hardly any noticeable effects. The noticeable effects that are experienced are also maybe seen as a kind of placebo effect.

So the overall impression I'm getting so far is that they don't really produce any real radical results as such.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting people to become Einstein overnight or anything like that. I'm just surprised at how minimal the effects appear to be in most cases.

Any thoughts on this anyone?

Hi, most noots do seem to be a hit and miss, and I've noticed too that very few actually stay on any noot for the long-run (which is perhaps a good thing?). For brief periods where you may have increased mental demands, then some noots come to the fore: in my experience, a combination of Oxiracetam, Aniracetam and Choline made my brain a steel trap during exam time. I would not use this all the time though, and not just because it is expensive.

At this stage, I think that a very good diet, as much rest and leisure as possible, not wasting time with so-called friends (i.e. being socially picky, but generous to those who are deserving), developing a character-building philosophy of life and praying are all good ways to make sure that demanding blob of fat in our cranium which seems to hold it within his power to determine our future does not lead us too far astray. Noots fit in this picture as short term boosts when needed, in much the same way that a mountaineer might carry heavy equipment to help him, but will not carry it around with him all the time, nor expect his equipment to do the climbing for him!

Perhaps many here seem disappointed, because they were misled into thinking that their brain would "light up" like a Christmas tree and all of a sudden life would become easy if they took X or Y noot. Compared against such a stringent and unreasonable expectations, together with the impatience which comes from having paid quite a lot for relatively unproven chemicals, might make verdicts project more negativity than they should if they were completely impartial.

If you are interested in knowing what has helped me, let me know, and I'll give you a heads up.

Hasta luego.

#82 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

What helped you Heraclitean?

#83 Heraclitean

• 134 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

What helped you Heraclitean?

I'l give some background info, what you need to know to judge and draw your own conclusions:

From the age of 14-19, I went from being a straight-A student at one of the country's (not USA) top secondary schools, to being "average". This was because I suffered a pretty severe case of what in retrospect I believe was depression, with depersonalization and derealization. As was to be expected, my memory and abstract thinking capacity tumbled. The reasons for this are not to be found in chemical imbalances in the brain, but in unfortunate family/social circumstances, coupled with a string of personal losses which overwhelmed my already rather delicate nervous system for many years.

At the age of 19, I discovered philosophy and it turned my world around. I started to build my character, using the ethical and intellectual insights brought to us by some of the luminaries of that discipline to climb out of depression by carrying out a severe introspection and "burning" all that was sick within my soul, gradually but surely. I started to acquire distance and indifference to that which was causing me to suffer, and this gave me the breathing space I needed in my mind to begin my road to recovery.

I started my journey with physiological improvement at this age too, taking ginseng, which effectively wiped out my depersonalization and restored my memory so that I started to shine at University, and the "old me" was resurfacing again. Amazed by the improvement brought about by a "lowly" root, I started to investigate feverishly, to the point where investigating life-enhancing techniques and habits became my new hobby. I moved onto Fish Oil, which also had a fantastic effect on my depression and derealization, and I finally started to feel a little bit normal for the first time in years. Since I was in South America at this time, where nootropics and functional foods practically don't exist (it is a poor and conservative part of the world) I stuck to Fish oil and Berocca for a few years, and together with the character building which I was engaged in by reading and thinking philsophically, the dark years of my first youth started to seem like a distant memory.

I also ventured into pharmaceuticals, but always, without exception, found them as nothing more than short term band-aids and abandoned them after a few weeks, even if they were useful at first. Under the rubric pharmaceuticals, I include Modafinil, Hydergine, Piracetam and Deprenyl, all of which could be acquired where I was living at the time in any neighborhood pharmacy without prescription (illegally of course).

I then moved to the UK, which is where my family is originally from, and started to incorporate the health foods which were not available in South America into my diet. This had a tremendous impact on my health, as did leaving behind a toxic environment and starting afresh in a place where I could choose who to associate with. I was lucky that I found an excellent partner for myself, who has been instrumental to my full recovery and flourishing.

Right now, I just use "functional foods" on a daily basis, such as Cacao, Grape seed extract+resveratrol, Green tea, Pomegranate, Turmeric, High quality Cod Liver Oil, Marmite (for B-vitamins), Coconut oil, rinsed and roasted nuts, kefir, eggs and liver. All this I eat on a daily basis. I also have taken up the practice of meditation and prayer, with the purpose of being more mindful about "forgivefulness" (towards myself and others), Perseverance, and Detachment. This is today my staple for vitality and mental and physical health, and at 25 I now feel better than I ever have before in my life, even before my downfall at 14.

The only major fault is the lack of exercise right now. I will remedy this ASAP, and will endeavor to add this to my staple regime to the best of my abilities, as I know from past experience that it is a critical piece of the puzzle.

I only use pharmaceuticals sparingly and occasionally now. I am fond of Noopept, I think that it is quite benign if cycled, and do use it for a few weeks at a time. The other racetams I found too stressful to be of any long term use, but I recommend them for students during the month before finals, particularly Ani+Oxi. The only "vitamin" supplement I take is Uridine, sublingually, 2x a day, although I will supplement for a few days if my diet has been sub-par for whatever reason.

In summary, what helped me was, in the form of advice:

a) An "attitude adjustment", passionately destroying what is sick in you so that your natural strength comes to the fore.
b) Exiting toxic environments as soon as possible, and surrounding yourself with excellent people (or an excellent person) whenever possible. Don't take s*** from anybody, don't let anybody guilt trip you, and when you are with an individual who is bent on manipulating you, just avoid them and never engage in their game. This requires the development of a certain psychological acumen which can be strengthened by purposeful, cool-headed observation.
c) Using functional foods to ensure adequate supply of bioavailable vitamins, minerals, benign phytochemicals, a good ratio of fats, fiber, and gut flora. Give your brain and body the raw materials it needs. Supplement your diet if it is not good for whatever reason, as this is much better than simply being nutrient-starved, but try and procure your nutrition via food if and when possible.
d) Avoid alcohol like the plague, and be sparing with you use of stimuants such as coffee (I can tolerate Cacao and green tea smoothie). Avoid recreational drug use because it is a massive gamble and it almost never ends well. Having said that, the only time I took LSD, at age 21, was a fantastic experience, so I can't say this without feeling like a hypocrite. Statistically speaking, though, most people I know who indulge don't become better people, almost always the opposite happens.
e) prayer and meditation, focusing on whatever it is that is holding you back.
f) Certain pharmaceuticals as needed, particularly racetams, which I consider benign if used on an as needed basis. Avoid SSRI's and stimulants like amphetamines and methylphendiate like the plague. I expect to receive flack for saying this, because these toxins seem popular among many members of longecity even though their deleterious effects have been studied and are well known. They are in no way compatible with life-enhancement... they are compatible with self-delusion, though.
g) Rest and leisure. Unfortunately our modern ethos forces us to feel guilty if we are not constantly doing something or being productive, as if we were tools. This is anathema to life, is slavish, and is absolutely contraindicated unless your goal in life is to become a drone. For those of you who aspire to "transcend", active leisure with a good conscience is imperative, to the extent that your obligations allow you to do so, of course. I post this on this board because I notice people here tend to be much more "exceptional" than in other arenas of life, and active leisure is a precondition for the exceptional to flourish.

That's all for now. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Hasta luego.

#84 noos

• 559 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

Thanks Heraclitean for the detailed comment. It is long so I will start with some points.

* Philosophy: Which authors/books did you find revealing?
* Ginseng: I am surprised you got so remarkable results from a herb that has no final veredict in studies. I also got results sometimes and I feel different effects from the different types. Which one did you use? Do you still take it?
* Uridine: Is this something from what you can notice an effect? Have you compared it to CDP choline (which I read increases uridine)?

#85 Heraclitean

• 134 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Thanks Heraclitean for the detailed comment. It is long so I will start with some points.

* Philosophy: Which authors/books did you find revealing?
* Ginseng: I am surprised you got so remarkable results from a herb that has no final veredict in studies. I also got results sometimes and I feel different effects from the different types. Which one did you use? Do you still take it?
* Uridine: Is this something from what you can notice an effect? Have you compared it to CDP choline (which I read increases uridine)?

Noos, I'll briefly touch upon those points for you:

*Philosophy: a) My first love in Philosophy was Plato, both for the clarity of his prose and for the "dialectical method" which he pioneered (At least in writing) and which I think is an absolutely fantastic way to teach and present rational ideas. By rational ideas, I mean ideas which are not merely asserted and received, but which are based, or attempt to be based, on a foundation of proof and logical consistency. I have read most of his dialogues, except the suspected apocryphal ones which I've never felt attracted to. Even though I don't follow him on practically any point of his metaphysics, and on little of his ethics (Although a bit more on his epistemology), he introduced me to a completely new way of thinking and opened the door for me in terms of regaining my intellectual vigour.

b) Then came Heraclitus, who is the namesake of my username. I found his metaphysics convincing, and much clearer and obvious than his epithet "ho skoteinos" (the obscure one) would suggest. In my opinion, metaphysics is the queen of philosophy, so once you have that nailed then ethics follows almost deductively: this is certainly the case with him, and I follow his ethics as much as his metaphysics. His epistemology is also interesting, but I am not particularly concerned with epistemology (I think epistemology is another "curious" science, like physics, chemistry, biology, sociology... interesting, perhaps even very interesting, but not fundamental).

c) After my baptism of fire with those two philosophers, I proceeded to read (very) widely, but only now keep reading a handful of them, in particular Nietzsche, Aristotle, Ayn Rand, and some of the Christian Fathers of the Church (like St. Augustine). This doesn't mean I haven't kept ideas from other thinkers, such as Hume, Machiavelli, Schopenhauer and Spinoza, but they have not resonated with me spiritually enough for me to turn them into permanent fixtures of my reading material.

*Ginseng: I agree that my excellent response was a surprise. To be honest, when I bought my first bottle of Ginseng from a Farmacity I was expecting little more than a subtle coffee rush. However, as I've mentioned, it ended up being much more than that. Of course, I had my period of proselytizing it to anybody who would listen to me, and even convinced a few individuals to purchase some. Their results where always unspectacular, to say the least, so I think Ginseng might have a rather specific effect in the body, which is exactly what I needed at that time. So it is not a "general" tonic, as some say, but is best indicated for very "particular" conditions, which coincidentally I must have had, given how much it helped.

I don't take it anymore, because now it has an effect which is mild, at best, and considering that it is not cheap, I decided to say "thank you" and bid it farewell. As for the best ginseng brand, in my rather ample experience with this herb I would say that the best benefit:cost ratio is gotten from the little golden packets of granules which are used to make tea, and have ginseng extract in them. They are made in South Korea, and can be bought either by the box (With 100 tea sachets) or by the individual sachet. I used to buy the box of 100 for AR$ 45 (in 2007), so it was a good deal considering you only used one sachet per tea, and drank 2-3 teas per day. And the effect was consistent and positive too.

* I have indeed taken CDP-Choline, did a course of it back in 2010 (a course is one bottle of 60 capsules with 250mg of CDP in each, 2 caps per day). It didn't' have much effect, although I'm sure it was not hurting me. For the price, which is hefty, it didn't seem to be giving me much. I can get Uridine cheaper, and since I already take Cod liver oil (=DHA) and eat quite a lot of eggs and liver (=phosphatidylcholine=source of Choline), adding Uridine to the mix helps my body make as much CDP as it needs, and more. Uridine+co factors is a more rounded supplement in that sense than straight CDP, and also it respects my approach to supplements that it is generally preferable to give your body raw materials and let it make as much as it needs of a certain compound, than to feed the compound directly (except in the case of illness).

Do I feel an effect? Yes. Its not overt, but it does give you more mental endurance (much more actually), more "direction" to your thoughts (i.e. less daydreaming of the sterile type) and all the other components of good brain health (mood, etc.). As I said, it is not overt like, say, amphetamine, but on the flip side if you use your mind a lot and you have not been at your top, you'll definitely notice a positive difference with no side effects (unless you're mixing supplements, in which case anything could happen, as always).

That's all for now.

Hasta luego.

Edited by Heraclitean, 10 June 2012 - 04:16 PM.

• like x 1

#86 Crispy Cat

• 76 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

Testosterone!
i had a nut removed due to cancer (3 years no further problems) and obviously that affected my testosterone production
6 months after i was suffering depresion, tierdness , brain fog , memory loss and no intrest in sexual activity..
doctors put me on 40mg testosterone and wow!
within 3 days everything changed for the better now im happy confident, horny and not losing my keys :D
i have used as many of the normal racetams as i can find and nothing has given me a 99% positive boost quite like testosterone does (would be 100% but if i accidently take too much i end up chatting up any girl i see .. even the ugly ones)

next to testosterone id say vit D has some nice but subtle effects for me

noopept has very noticable effects although without accurate scales can give distracting effects however is amazing with piracetam for confidence

piracetam has very mild effects if any on its own under 4g

pramiracetam seems to make me concentrate more but its very hard to get correct dose and not end up sleepy or with a headache

aniracetam turns me into a book worm i can concentrate for hours but lose all social skills (maybe i should mix this with noopept)

Oxiracetam made me more confident at first but seems to have worn off

other things i have tryed have left no noticable effect.. centrophenoxine, alpha gpc, l hupa, gaba, dmae, ginko, omega3, phenylalanine etc

#87 hooter

• 504 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

Huge doses of piracetam and threshold doses of pure vaporized DMT (no changa, lab-grade).

#88 Crispy Cat

• 76 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Huge doses of piracetam and threshold doses of pure vaporized DMT (no changa, lab-grade).

lab grade dmt! that sounds like a one way trip ;)

#89 Mr. Pink

• 226 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

wellbutrin XR 300mg made a huge difference in my memory. buproprion did *nothing* for me. in this case, it pays to buy name-brand. after that i like ginko and vinpocetein. there was some talk of vinpo messing with dopeamine, so I quit for a while since apparently dopeamine is the cause of my depression, but it made no difference so i am back on vinpo. it has quite an effect on memory.

I need something that can help me get more motivated though, and it can't be anything addictive (addictive substances aren't motivating for me anyway, they just motivate me to take more of the addictive substance; learned the hard way). any thoughts?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 hooter

• 504 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

lab grade dmt! that sounds like a one way trip ;)

Overtired, meant reagent grade *facepalm*

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users