Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Safe sources of piracetam

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:59 PM

Now that Relentless Improvement is discontinuing piracetam permamently, is there anywhere we can obtain "safe" piracetam? I define safe as third-party tested, because the COA's the Chinese chemical companies provide are, in many cases, entirely false.

I don't want to resort to bulk containers of who-knows-what labeled as piracetam with only the word of the manufacturer to go on.

#2 mrak1979

• 232 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:45 AM

I've been taking bulk nutrition piracetam powder... is there something I don't know about the quality of this? They provide COA.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 dupez

• 115 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

same. well, 1fast400 powder.

#4 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:38 PM

Now that Relentless Improvement is discontinuing piracetam permamently, is there anywhere we can obtain "safe" piracetam? I define safe as third-party tested, because the COA's the Chinese chemical companies provide are, in many cases, entirely false.

I don't want to resort to bulk containers of who-knows-what labeled as piracetam with only the word of the manufacturer to go on.

Bummer! I went over to Pete's excellent site and he states "...We can no longer obtain raw material..."

I'm totally with FunkOdyssey on this as I refuse to buy any nootropic that is not documented, disclosed, third-party tested, purity assured, blah, blah, etc.

RI and COAs:

http://www.relentles...ment.com/learn/

- pycnogenol

#5 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:02 PM

I'm pretty sure the COA's you are provided from bulk nutrition or 1fast400 for piracetam are copies of the COA provided to them by the Chinese manufacturer -- in other words, highly suspect and unreliable. Third-party COA's are the key here.

#6 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

A reliable source could be Nootropil from UCB Pharma, Spain. Which is "the real thing". I do not have any information regarding availability through sources that do not require a subscription.

Edited by Brainbox, 10 January 2009 - 06:35 PM.

#7 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:52 PM

http://www.qhi.co.uk...asp?i=Piracetam
http://www.biogenesi...i-piracetam.asp

Edited by drmz, 10 January 2009 - 06:54 PM.

#8 dupez

• 115 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 07:57 PM

there are plenty of places online to get this stuff. look for reviews of certain shops..
also you can tell if its "real" or not by its smell and taste. as for chemical contamination, it would most likely be noticeable by you or the seller. pills are less likely to be "contaminated", so if your worried, spend more on pills.i believe that as long as there is some sort of COA (BSed or not), then that is good enough. If your active, eat right, and drink a lot of water, the "contaminants" if any will wash out of your system. obviously they wouldnt sell powder that kills people- it would be over the news, in interational affairs, etc. i'd rather take the chance then spend big bucks on the bottles with "safely tested" on them. most likely its all from the same source anyways. disagree with me if you must, but its all in your head. i have no problem taking 1fast400 powder.

#9 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:08 PM

I'm sure that levels of heavy metals that are lethal on the longer term cannot be tasted. So this would defeat the purpose of taking the stuff. A purpose that is questionable to begin with anyway if you ask me.

#10 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:37 PM

I'm sure that levels of heavy metals that are lethal on the longer term cannot be tasted. So this would defeat the purpose of taking the stuff. A purpose that is questionable to begin with anyway if you ask me.

I'm using it because it because I get light-headed and feel like I'm going to pass out when I take higher doses of tetracycline for Lyme, and piracetam effectively reduces the severity of that phenomenon. Otherwise, I would have to use a lower dose or a less effective medication. Maybe you presume too much about the purpose of piracetam use.

#11 dupez

• 115 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:15 PM

"Thiamine, or vitamin B1, is used by the body to neutralize and/or excrete toxic heavy metals that inevitably find their way into food, water, and air. Proof of this function is provided in a study published by Derrick Lonsdale (a link to his paper is found in the references to the entry on thiamine at Wikipedia)."

This is one of the reasons why i take "Super B Complex" (in my stack). B vitamins are very good for you. it has around 1000% B1, which is sure to take care of heavy metal content if there is a more than average content

#12 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:35 PM

I'm using it because it because I get light-headed and feel like I'm going to pass out when I take higher doses of tetracycline for Lyme, and piracetam effectively reduces the severity of that phenomenon. Otherwise, I would have to use a lower dose or a less effective medication. Maybe you presume too much about the purpose of piracetam use.

If you're using it for a very specific purpose, you could just stack up on it ?
Especially if you have some idea how long the antibiotic regimen will last.

#13 FunkOdyssey

• Topic Starter
  • 3,443 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

I would, however I don't know how long I'll have to take antibiotics and it looks like Pete jacked up the price on the Piracetam now that the supply is drying up.

#14 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

Doesn't IAS still sell the stuff? Probably not the cheapest, though.

Edited by shepard, 11 January 2009 - 12:21 AM.

#15 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:18 PM

Yes, you're right. It was like a Pavlov type of reaction, I have to admit that. In general, it is my perception that a lot of smart people are starting to use this stuff to overcome a certain level of fear for exams, that could as easy been handled without the chemicals. That combined with the use of cheap bulk sources does pose a risk on the longer term, while the benefits on the shorter term are questionable (in healthy people and assuming a decent diet and level of exercise, that is).
All IMO of coarse and highly subjective. ;)

#16 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

Is BulkNutrition.com safe?

I've purchased Aniracetam from "cognitive nutrition". Are they considered safe?

#17 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 11:44 PM

Well, I guess that depends on what your definition of 'safe' is. ;)

Me? I only buy my supply of Nootropics from Relentless Improvement.
When you buy from RI, you know exactly what you're getting. No guess-work.

#18 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

It DOES depend on the definition, but I thought I might get a "ball-park". I think I've read some members here bashing BN, and I wondered if they are a "safe source".

#19 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:36 PM

It DOES depend on the definition, but I thought I might get a "ball-park". I think I've read some members here bashing BN, and I wondered if they are a "safe source".

I don't consider BN to be a safe source of anything so I "lay out" on their place order button. :)

I'd rather shell out the $$$ for the real deal than buy anything that is, um, mediocre at best.

Edited by pycnogenol, 12 January 2009 - 11:48 PM.

#20 RevoltFitness

• 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:42 AM

Anyone have any word on Primaforce's Piracetam?

#21 dvs

• 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:16 AM

Hello, I will start off by saying I am new to this forum and to nootropics in general, but have you tried American Nutrition? It seems pretty trustworthy, although if I'm wrong about that let me know as I just purchased something from there (piracetam in fact).

#22 Yushua

• 15 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:42 PM

Hello, I will start off by saying I am new to this forum and to nootropics in general, but have you tried American Nutrition? It seems pretty trustworthy, although if I'm wrong about that let me know as I just purchased something from there (piracetam in fact).

also wondering about it.. thinking about aniracetam

its strange.. aniracetam and oxiracetam work GREAT for me. clear minded and also some kind of wakefulness (subtile.. more just ability to concentrate if needed), both anywhere from 600mg to 2g. but as for piracetam: i can take up to 4g and have neither effect. how is that?

#23 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

I would not be worried about lead in piracetam or anything synthetic. There might be contaminants of some kind but it's virtually impossible to test for every possibility, such as other drugs or drug byproducts. I'd worry a lot more about heavy metals in extracts of herbs farmed in eurasia and eastern europe.

I have wondered what's involved with testing, though. It has to be possible to do it on your own.

#24 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 10:25 PM

Before they changed ownership, they supposedly tested every batch of product sold. To what extent and to what end, I couldn't tell you. (I should also note that this is what I was told and read on a message board, so take that for what it's worth.) But, the former owner of BN took over Primaforce, so I'm not sure what their policy is now. If they still test, they should be able to provide you with some documentation.

Edited by shepard, 17 January 2009 - 10:25 PM.

#25 steelsky

• 412 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:21 AM

Before they changed ownership, they supposedly tested every batch of product sold. To what extent and to what end, I couldn't tell you. (I should also note that this is what I was told and read on a message board, so take that for what it's worth.) But, the former owner of BN took over Primaforce, so I'm not sure what their policy is now. If they still test, they should be able to provide you with some documentation.

Anyone with some stature here going to volunteer and ask for some such documentations?

#26 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:24 AM

wonder if US gov will totally regulate racetams and outlaw/prevent us from getting the supplements

#27 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:45 AM

Seeing as piracetam is cheap, there's always the option that somebody here could buck up, buy small quantities from all the major sources, and have it sent in for lab testing; then post the results. I imagine if somebody here has connections with a lab, we could get a few people to pay maybe $5-$10 each to compensate this person and do some testing.

#28 Heliotrope

• 1,145 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:52 AM

Seeing as piracetam is cheap, there's always the option that somebody here could buck up, buy small quantities from all the major sources, and have it sent in for lab testing; then post the results. I imagine if somebody here has connections with a lab, we could get a few people to pay maybe $5-$10 each to compensate this person and do some testing.

I like your idea. Why would, or should we even be trusting the CoA (certificate of analysis or certificate of authenticity) of the vendors? some can fake them right or go to a private get-rich lab.

Should pitch in, do test order, and analyze the substances, for qualities, effectiveness etc. Piracetam is so cheap that we can afford to burn some , not as feasible w/ other noots

#29 dupez

• 115 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:31 PM

i bought my first batch of Piracetam from this site:
http://www.vigorousliving.com/
They sell on ebay - i like paypal so i got it through ebay. They also sell directly from their site.
They are located not too far from me so i get it the next day. very reasonable prices as well.
has worked great for me so far.

Edited by dupez, 18 January 2009 - 06:32 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#30 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:24 AM

Get the pharmaceutical grade from UCB (Nootropil). International Anti-Aging and biogenesis sell it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users