• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo

How accurate are Ray Kurzweil's predictions?

kurzweil singularity breakthroughs biomedicine dna sequencing computing brain artificial intelligence robotics

• Please log in to reply
292 replies to this topic

#121 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:33 AM

One thing I will give RK credit for is he is quite good at forecasting TRENDS. It's only in specifics that he runs into trouble. He's better than anyone else at understanding the directions we are heading, but like any forecaster, he can't see all the bumps in the road.

In my opinion, Kurzweil's biggest flaw is he's got far less grasp of the realities of human nature than he has of technological development. The hardware and infoware has been kicking right along, but humans keep tossing wrenches in the works.

Another thing I think he often overlooks is that many technologies he predicts have multiple factors involved. Take the Networked Body Lan.

In order for the NBL to be practical it has to:

A: be flexible, durable, and washable if it's embedded in clothing.
B: be cheap, disposable, and mix and matchable for fashion choice.
C: be maintenance free, possess long battery life, and not require complicated recharging procedures.

Fashion is not the same field as electronics... yet. In part because Xerox has only just recently perfected electronics printing capability. Until now, embedding electronics into clothing has been a matter of fitting small circuit boards in unobtrusive places in clothes, running wires through them, and almost none of it has been wash and wear.

But that is going to change. Electronics can now be printed directly into cloth. Ultracapacitance batteries can be made from CNT's mixed in ink. Quantum Dot solar cells are being developed. The first commercial FLEXIBLE display has just hit the market.

Give it five to six years, and I do think we will begin seeing the integration of our electronics with our clothes. The "Smartphone" will be the primary component, linked to cloth that is nothing BUT a flexible display, with an ultracap-battery that is the thin lining between the inner and outer layers, quantum dot solarcells to keep the whole thing constantly charged by any ambient light source, and connected to the SP via a bluetooth like wireless net. It's even possible that smart muscle fibers might allow clothing with variable degrees of fit.

But to get to that point, we had to develop ways to move displays from glass to flexible substrates, find ways to remove the fiberglass and discrete component electronics from the equation via electronics printing, and make it all cheap enough to sell for 10 bucks at the Walmart.

We aren't there yet, but we are well on our way.

So basically, we could be said to be in the "very expensive/only kinda works" stage, but for many of the SPECIFIC technologies RK talks about until they actually reach the "Really Cheap/Works incredibly well" stage, they simply will not be adopted by the general public.

And btw, those "video glasses" are going to be coming too. That's another thing that won't make a big splash until they reach "cheap/well" stage, at which point, they're probably going to become the replacement for those Smartphones. They've figured out a means to make transparent VLSI chips now. Mate those with flexible cheap displays, and the continuing rise of AR apps for smartphones, I don't think it will be terribly long before iGlasses hit the market as the iPhone replacement. Your "hands free" always active communications device/AR interface/VR device. Once Project Natal get out, we're likely to see it's motion capture technology migrating to Smartphones too. You'll simply put on your glasses, tuck in your earphones, and control your SP via a "virtual console" suspended in space before you as the built in cameras not only provide AR overlays, but motion capture as well.

We'll be walking down the street, our iGlasses on, our iWear set to whatever display we want, fully immersed in the real world and the web at one and the same time.

It'll just take a few years longer than Ray thought it would.

#122 KalaBeth

• 100 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:02 AM

Thank you Val - I love hearing your tech predictions. I really appreciate how on top of everything you seem to stay.

Can you speak (perhaps in another thread?) more on the biological side of the house? Say... how close things like respirocytes and bio-MEM repair machines really are, what we can really expect from chromosomal tinkering in adults without killing the patient, so forth and so on?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#123 Arie

• Topic Starter
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:03 PM

Interesting contribution from valkyrie.

One thing I will give RK credit for is he is quite good at forecasting TRENDS. It's only in specifics that he runs into trouble. He's better than anyone else at understanding the directions we are heading, but like any forecaster, he can't see all the bumps in the road.

I'd like to add bureaucratic hurdles. Take intelligent cars for instance. Now i'm absolutely sure there is a big market for selfdriving vehicles that lock into a virtual grid, like Kurzweil predicted for 2009, and such a system will soon be technically feasible. But such a scenario to unfold within a decade would require massive investments from transportion authorities, just like transformation from fossil fuels to electric power. It's ludicrous to expect these kind of changes are going to happen in just 10 years, especially if the government is not pushing the concept.
So i guess RK has learned from this debacle, as he is now predicting that intelligent cars will "at least be experimented with in 2020".
That's a far more credible assertion that most forecasters would agree to.

I don't think it will be terribly long before iGlasses hit the market as the iPhone replacement.

It think it will take 5 years before glasses will hit the market that will give you truly useful augmented reality from a pocket device by writing images to your retina, and at that stage it will still be a toy for early adopters.

I know you can buy crappy videoglasses right now, but delivering high resolution retina diplays that will add computergraphics to your normal vision is going to be some big challenge.

We'll be walking down the street, our iGlasses on, our iWear set to whatever display we want, fully immersed in the real world and the web at one and the same time.

I hope i'm wrong, but i think it will be 2020 before such a system will be as ubiquitous as todays iPhone.

#124 atp

• 138 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:47 PM

it is by far more difficult to predict new devices compared to the prediction that the performance of established devices will reach a certain level in the future.

if devices will become smaller and smaller i still can not conclude that there will be useful devices in clothing or in human body.
if computers will become faster and faster i still can not conclude that they will behave more intelligent than humans
if brain scanners will get a higher resolution and will become faster i still can not conclude that we will understand the brain.

accelerating performance is only a necessary condition for the predicted new devices and discoveries.
the future performance of current technology is very predictable. in this point kurzweil is right.
but accelerating performance of current technologies is not sufficient to predict future devices, discoveries and technologies
that is the main problem with kurzweil's predictions.

Edited by atp, 07 January 2010 - 01:49 PM.

#125 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

Interesting contribution from valkyrie.

I'd like to add bureaucratic hurdles. Take intelligent cars for instance. Now i'm absolutely sure there is a big market for selfdriving vehicles that lock into a virtual grid, like Kurzweil predicted for 2009, and such a system will soon be technically feasible. But such a scenario to unfold within a decade would require massive investments from transportion authorities, just like transformation from fossil fuels to electric power. It's ludicrous to expect these kind of changes are going to happen in just 10 years, especially if the government is not pushing the concept.
So i guess RK has learned from this debacle, as he is now predicting that intelligent cars will "at least be experimented with in 2020".
That's a far more credible assertion that most forecasters would agree to.

I don't think it will be terribly long before iGlasses hit the market as the iPhone replacement.

It think it will take 5 years before glasses will hit the market that will give you truly useful augmented reality from a pocket device by writing images to your retina, and at that stage it will still be a toy for early adopters.

I know you can buy crappy videoglasses right now, but delivering high resolution retina diplays that will add computergraphics to your normal vision is going to be some big challenge.

I hope i'm wrong, but i think it will be 2020 before such a system will be as ubiquitous as todays iPhone.

Ran across this shortly after I wrote this post.

http://gizmodo.com/5...o...ne=true&s=x
Posted Image

I am a rather odd person. I see this, and I don't think "Cool, neat see-thru screen!"

I see "Cool, they've solved the problem of transparent overlays! Now to make them curved and Viola! Proof that Video Glasses will be on the Way!

And I match it to: http://gizmodo.com/5...ally-coming-now

And go... Combine them to make curved OLED wraparounds, and adjust the videocards display to cover a 270 degree arc in stereoscopic mode, and why do you need retina displays?

Then I read something like this: http://nextbigfuture...-printable.html

Which could be used to create low power microspeakers

Add in: http://news.cnet.com...0412127-72.html

ultrahigh capacity batteries made from simply adding nanotubes to ink, which can create a longlife battery in any shape, like say the arms of the glasses.

and then think about this: http://www.scienceda...60318144306.htm

about making transparent electronics and think "Hummm."

I take all these bits and pieces, and the fact that they simply need to be put together.

I give it five to eight. By 10, there's going to be an entirely different revolution going on, but that's another story

And I totally agree about him not foreseeing the bureaucracy. That's part of why I say he doesn't get the human factor as well as he does the tech one.

#126 atp

• 138 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:36 PM

Ran across this shortly after I wrote this post.

http://gizmodo.com/5...o...ne=true&s=x
Posted Image

I am a rather odd person. I see this, and I don't think "Cool, neat see-thru screen!"

I see "Cool, they've solved the problem of transparent overlays! Now to make them curved and Viola! Proof that Video Glasses will be on the Way!

And I match it to: http://gizmodo.com/5...ally-coming-now

And go... Combine them to make curved OLED wraparounds, and adjust the videocards display to cover a 270 degree arc in stereoscopic mode, and why do you need retina displays?

Then I read something like this: http://nextbigfuture...-printable.html

Which could be used to create low power microspeakers

Add in: http://news.cnet.com...0412127-72.html

ultrahigh capacity batteries made from simply adding nanotubes to ink, which can create a longlife battery in any shape, like say the arms of the glasses.

and then think about this: http://www.scienceda...60318144306.htm

about making transparent electronics and think "Hummm."

I take all these bits and pieces, and the fact that they simply need to be put together.

I give it five to eight. By 10, there's going to be an entirely different revolution going on, but that's another story

And I totally agree about him not foreseeing the bureaucracy. That's part of why I say he doesn't get the human factor as well as he does the tech one.

glasses are so near in front of the eye, nobody could see a sharp image if the image plane is on the glasses. so there must be a difficult optical system to solve the problem.
flat glasses with images on its surface are not sufficient for the predicted device.

furthermore: a device is much more complicated than the sum of its parts. the existence of parts are only necessary constraints. they are not sufficient.
we have batteries since decades and we have cars since decades but on the road we have still almost no car which moves by the power of batteries.

Edited by atp, 07 January 2010 - 02:58 PM.

#127 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

glasses are so near in front of the eye, nobody could see a sharp image if the image plane is on the glasses. so there must be a difficult optical system to solve the problem.
flat glasses with images on its surface are not sufficient for the predicted device.

furthermore: a device is much more complicated than the sum of its parts. the existence of parts are only necessary constraints. they are not sufficient.
we have batteries since decades and we have cars since decades but on the road we have still almost no car which moves by the power of batteries.

It's called "focus to infinity" and has been known about for decades. It's used in current headset units and all HUDs. Regardless of where the eye is focused, the image in the lenses are sharp. In a stereoscopic display, this creates the ability to generate 3D depth perception. That particular bit of tech was solved back in the eighties. The problem was weight. CRT's were too heavy. Until recently, LCD have been limited due to the need for a backlight, and the inability to print them on anything but glass. OLEDS generate their own light, so don't require the backlight. Curved displays exist now, allowing a wrap-around display, but the current version is expensive (the prince of saudi arabia has a set up... very few other people) In order to make video glasses practical, they needed to solve the weight issue, the curved screen issue, the transparency issue, and last but most important, they needed to solve the pricing issue. Electronics printing will allow the making of video lenses for such low cost that they can be nearly disposable. I.E. they break, toss em and grab a new pair.

The problem with Battery Powered Cars has never been in the ability to MAKE them, but in the power to weight ratios. Basically it took so many lead acid batteries to run a car that it was prohibitively heavy. Not much use making a eight ton car that could go 0-60 in a reasonable time but was so heavy it drained the batteries in minutes doing it. Power to weight ratios simply did not make it economical, no matter what people might have hoped for. The batteries simply did not have the energy storage density to cut it. The new Ultracaps are vastly different, because they can store orders of magnitude more power, meaning where it might have taken seven tons of batteries to move a one ton car, we may now be able to make a half ton car moved via a 100lb battery. Ultracaps also have the advantage of short recharge cycles. You can fully charge them in minutes, making gas station like recharging stations possible.

The thing most people don't understand about technology is that it is a cohesive whole. Nothing exists in isolation. You are right that just having the pieces does not mean we can do something in practice, because sometimes, a piece simply doesn't work well enough to make something practical. We've had 3d stereoscopic displays for decades. We needed transparent curved OLEDs to make video glasses practical. We've had Battery Powered Cars for decades, we needed Ultracaps to make them practical.

That's why I look at technological ecologies, evaluating what problems must be answered to make a technology possible vs what must be solved to make it work in the real world. VR lenses are at the point where every practicality issue has now been solved, all that must be done is integration. Based on current trends in Smartphones, game consoles, and 3D graphics, the electronics industry is AIMING for the integration level of the device I described, the "iGlasses" all in one gaming/communication/web browser/VR unit.

#128 atp

• 138 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:28 AM

It's called "focus to infinity" and has been known about for decades.

no matter how it is called. you will not be able to see a sharp pixel if it is just a light emitting point very near in front of your eye.
thus you will need more complicated optical technology to make the effect true.

here you can see a concept.

http://www.eyetap.or...rch/eyetap.html

a display within a lense in front of the eye is too simple and wouldn't work.

Edited by atp, 08 January 2010 - 12:41 AM.

#129 atp

• 138 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:03 AM

this link shows some solutions:

http://www.stereo3d.com/hmd.htm#chart

#130 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:59 AM

this link shows some solutions:

http://www.stereo3d.com/hmd.htm#chart

Thanks for the link, it shows all too well why video glasses have been waiting for flexible self lighting OLED displays that can be made cheap and light weight.

also for the AR concept with the ccd's embedded in the front of the eye?

http://gizmodo.com/5...ousy-resolution

Posted Image

Already in development. That was a proof of concept at the CES show.

#131 Berserker

• 60 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:06 AM

I think this letter is very interesting, as people have been talking a lot about the Kurzweil predictions for this year...

January 17, 2010

Dear Michael,

I want to respond to your Blog post “Reviewing Kurzweil Predictions from 1999 for 2009.”

This starts out “Michael Anissimov notes that Ray Kurzweil had several predictions from 1999 for 2009 and those predictions are in general wrong.”

You also write “Ray Kurzweil’s Failed 2009 Predictions. In May 2008, a poster on ImmInst (the life extension grassroots organization I co-founded in 2002) pointed out that it looked like Kurzweil’s 1999 predictions for the year 2009 would fail. Now that 2009 is over, we can see that he was mostly correct.”

Your review is biased, incorrect, and misleading in many different ways.

First of all, I did not make “several predictions” for 2009. I made 108 predictions in The Age of Spiritual Machines (TASM), which, incidentally, I wrote in 1996 to 1997. It takes a year to publish, so the book came out at the end of 1998. It is very misleading to take 7 predictions out of 108 and present that as all of my predictions for 2009.

I am in the process of writing a prediction-by-prediction analysis of these, which will be available soon and I will send it to you. But to summarize, of these 108 predictions, 89 were entirely correct by the end of 2009.

An additional 13 were what I would call “essentially correct” (for a total of 102 out of 108). You will note that the specificity of my predictions in TASM was by decades. There were predictions for 2009, 2019, 2029, and 2099. The 2009 predictions were providing a vision of what the world would be like around the end of the first decade of the new millennium. My critics were not saying “Kurzweil’s predictions for 2009 are ridiculous, they will not come true until 2010 or 2011.” Rather, they were saying that my predictions were off by decades or centuries or would never happen. So if predictions made around 1996 for 2009 come true a year or a couple of years after 2009, given that the specificity was by decade, and the critics were saying that they were wrong by decades or centuries, then I would consider them to constitute an essentially accurate vision of what the world would be like around now.

My critics are very quick to jump on and exaggerate the slightest issue with my predictions. For example, earlier this year, one critic wrote that my prediction (made in 1996) that by 2009 there would exist a supercomputer that would be capable of performing 20 petaflops (quadrillion operations per second)” was “not just a little bit wrong, but wildly, laughably wrong.” I wrote back that IBM’s 20 petaflop Sequoia supercomputer was already under construction and that IBM has announced that it will be operational in 2012. Since that time, another 20 petaflop supercomputer has been announced that will be operational next year, in 2011. Is it fair or reasonable to call this prediction “wildly, laughably wrong?”

I make this very point in my movie The Singularity is Near, A True Story about Future. One of my key (and consistent) predictions is that a computer will pass the Turing test by 2029. The first long-term prediction on the Long Now website (www.longnow.org) is a bet that I have with Mitch Kapor regarding this prediction. Mitch and I put up $20,000, and this amount plus interest will go to the foundation of the winner’s choice. I will win if a computer passes the Turing test by 2029 (and we have elaborate rules that we negotiated) and Mitch will win if that does not happen. In the movie, I create an AI-based avatar named Ramona and she fails the test in 2029 and Mitch wins the bet. However, she goes on to pass the test in 2033. If that is indeed what happens in the future, whose vision of the future can we say was correct?

From a strictly literal point of view and in terms of the rules of the bet, Kapor will have won the wager. But Kapor’s critique is not that “Kurzweil’s prediction of a computer passing the Turing test in 2029 is ridiculous, it won’t happen until 2033.” Rather he is saying I am off by centuries if it ever happens at all. My point is that if a computer passes the Turing test by 2033 rather than 2029 my vision of the future would be “essentially correct.” And so it is with the 13 predictions out of 108 that I made in TASM that are likely to come true in the next year or couple of years. By my calculation, 102 out of 108 predictions are either precisely correct or essentially correct.

Another 3 are partially correct, 2 look like they are about 10 years off, and 1, which was tongue in cheek anyway, was just wrong.

So for starters, your list of 7 predictions is misleading and is the result of severe selection bias. Moreover, most of these are not actually wrong. You have also changed the wording in ways that change the meaning of the predictions, or have just misinterpreted either the prediction or the current reality.

Take, for example, the first one you cite. The correct prediction was “Personal computers are available in a wide range of sizes and shapes, and are commonly embedded in clothing and jewelry…” When I wrote this prediction, portable computers were large heavy devices carried under your arm. Today they are indeed embedded in shirt pockets, jacket pockets, and hung from belt loops. Colorful iPod nano models are worn on blouses as jewelry pins or on a sleeve while running, health monitors are woven into undergarments, there are now computers in hearing aids, and there are many other examples. The prediction does not say that all computers would be small devices, just that this would be “common,” which indeed is the case.. And “computers” should not be restricted to the current category we happen to call “personal computers.” All of these devices – iPods, smart phones, etc. are in fact sophisticated “computers.” By a reasonable interpretation of the prediction and the current reality, it is correct, not “false.”

There are indeed “computer displays that project images directly onto the eyes.” The prediction did not say that all displays would be this way or that it would be the majority, or even common.

You cite the prediction that “three-dimensional chips are commonly used” as false. But it is not false. Many if not most semiconductors fabricated today are in fact 3D chips, using vertical stacking technology. It is obviously only the beginning of a broad trend, but it is the case that three-dimensional chips are commonly used today.

“Translating Telephone technology” was indeed available only in prototype form earlier in 2009, but now is a popular iPhone app and the technology is available on Symbian phones and on Google’s popular new Nexus One, using Google’s voice translation server. My prediction was that it would be “commonly used,” not that it would be ubiquitous. I suppose we could argue how “common” its use is, but it is already a popular app. Having been introduced late in 2009, it is likely to become quite popular on many phones worldwide in 2010.

“Warfare is dominated by unmanned intelligent airborne devices” is certainly true in Afghanistan. As Wired recently noted, “The unmanned air war … has escalated under McChrystal’s watch….” Also there are munitions that are about the size of birds that can be released from larger aircraft and that have their own intelligent navigation.

So even of this highly selective list, your interpretation of the predictions is rigid and idiosyncratic. You have a certain vision of how these types of developments will or should manifest themselves, but under a reasonable interpretation, most of your selected predictions are in fact not false.

The status of these predictions changes very quickly. In November 2009, the idea of large-vocabulary, continuous, speaker-independent speech recognition on a cell phone was still off in the future. Just one month later, this became one of the most popular free apps for the iPhone (Dragon Dictation from Nuance, which used to be Kurzweil Computer Products, my first major company) as well as the popular Google Search on iPhones and in Google Droid and Nexus One phones.

Two or three years from now is a very long way off, and the world will again be quite different, so for the handful of my 108 predictions for 2009 that are not literally true now, most will likely become true over that time.

So I agree with you that there should be accountability for predictions, but such reviews need to be free of bias, fair, and not subject to selection bias and myopic interpretations of both the words used and the current reality.

In this essay I am working on, I will also review my predictions written in the mid 1980s in The Age of Intelligent Machines, which were also very accurate.

I am not saying that there are no misses, but it I believe it is fair to say that the vision of the future that I have painted in the past for the current world is quite accurate, especially compared to the critics who at the time said that these predictions were off by decades or centuries.

Best,
Ray Kurzweil

Edited by Berserker, 19 January 2010 - 10:07 AM.

#132 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 07:08 PM

I'll be eagerly waiting to read Kurzweil's extensive review of his predictions.

#133 KalaBeth

• 100 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:55 AM

Okay, so mea culpa on the wearable computers thing

Carbon nanotubes used to make batteries from fabrics

Ordinary cotton and polyester fabrics have been turned into batteries that retain their flexibility.

The demonstration is a boost to the nascent field of "wearable electronics" in which devices are integrated into clothing and textiles.

I swear, every year that passes I feel more and more like I'm living in a science fiction movie.

Edited by KalaBeth, 27 January 2010 - 06:56 AM.

#134 KalaBeth

• 100 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:52 PM

Little sensors in the shoes that talk to an iPod. Call that one done.
http://www.ted.com/t...f_medicine.html

And Val, an application to port to your funny glasses..
http://www.good.is/p...d-identity-app/

Okay, so mea culpa on the wearable computers thing

Carbon nanotubes used to make batteries from fabrics

Ordinary cotton and polyester fabrics have been turned into batteries that retain their flexibility.

The demonstration is a boost to the nascent field of "wearable electronics" in which devices are integrated into clothing and textiles.

I swear, every year that passes I feel more and more like I'm living in a science fiction movie.

#135 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 03:58 AM

suddenly I feel like listening to bible interpretations O_o
Anyhow, this is all nice and well, as well as fun for kids (iPhone and iPhone apps), but it is far from any really amazing computing.
I think we need something more intelligence and not just shiny and fun, that is, if we want to really get advanced and to make progress towards a turring test or the singularity.

And even then, from some simple intelligence to human like intelligence and beyond human intelligence, it is pretty hard. And then even if we have beyond human intelligence robot, good for us! that doesn't make us immortal though or even means we defeated aging yet.

#136 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:53 AM

I agree: RK was off a bit as far as time predictions. But to extrapolate anything that far into the future is pretty tough.

#137 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:01 AM

I was just watching Ray Kurzweil ideaCity08 when Ray gave his common history of a computer beating a human at chess as a demonstration of the exponential growth of information technology and his history of accurate prediction. He stated he predicted a computer would beat the world chess champion in 1998 and he made this prediction in the "Early 80s". He then stated that Garry Kasparov "scoffed at that idea in 1993" and then that in 1997 IBM's Deep Blue finally defeated him (Wikipediaconfirms this)

I was thinking: Why doesn't Ray get a record of these people disputing his predictions and put them out for all to see? Imagine how powerful a snippet of a news clip with Garry Kasparov in 1993 the then world chess champion (and influential intellectual and what many think of as the greatest chess player of all time) scoffing at the idea a computer will beat him in just 4 years time, and then cut to the final move in the game of Deep Blue beating him? I imagine it would be a very powerful way of showing that some very smart people have disputed Ray's ideas, only to be proved wrong when the time came. It would be harder to dispute (or at least less credible) any of Ray's grandiose ideas if you had a succession of people most likely smarter than the detractor, all presented with egg on their faces!

#138 bio123

• 86 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:56 AM

Love your work Ray! :) What are your current predictions for anti-aging technology/treatments? (I can wait for
everything else :) )

#139 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:43 AM

I was just watching Ray Kurzweil ideaCity08 when Ray gave his common history of a computer beating a human at chess as a demonstration of the exponential growth of information technology and his history of accurate prediction. He stated he predicted a computer would beat the world chess champion in 1998 and he made this prediction in the "Early 80s". He then stated that Garry Kasparov "scoffed at that idea in 1993" and then that in 1997 IBM's Deep Blue finally defeated him (Wikipediaconfirms this)

I was thinking: Why doesn't Ray get a record of these people disputing his predictions and put them out for all to see? Imagine how powerful a snippet of a news clip with Garry Kasparov in 1993 the then world chess champion (and influential intellectual and what many think of as the greatest chess player of all time) scoffing at the idea a computer will beat him in just 4 years time, and then cut to the final move in the game of Deep Blue beating him? I imagine it would be a very powerful way of showing that some very smart people have disputed Ray's ideas, only to be proved wrong when the time came. It would be harder to dispute (or at least less credible) any of Ray's grandiose ideas if you had a succession of people most likely smarter than the detractor, all presented with egg on their faces!

Hey, that's a good idea. Maybe you (or someone else) could edit something and put it up on YouTube?

#140 bio123

• 86 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:15 AM

As a chess player myself, I recall the progression from the early eighties went something like this:
"Ok it knows how to play, but it'll never beat a strong club player."
"Ok it can beat a strong club player, but it'll never beat a master."
"Ok it can beat a master, but it'll never beat a grandmaster."
"Ok it can beat a grandmaster, but it'll never beat Kasparov."
"Ok it can beat Kasparov. Anyone for tennis?"

#141 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 12:44 PM

if anyone is interested in kurzweil's predictions then type ''ray kurzweil predictions wiki'' on google. There's a very nice entry in wikipedia with all of kurzweil's predictions from all his books. I'd put the direct link here but i'm in my cell phone and internet browsing here obviously isn't as good as in a pc. But hey i get unlimited access to the internet anywhere i am at a very good speed and only pay the equivalent to 12 dollars per month. And i live in brazil which isn't yet very developed. I find this amazing and a great example of the accelerating pace at which today's technologies are advancing.

#142 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

Predictions made by Ray Kurzweil

Book: The Age of Intelligent Machines (1990)

Early 2000s

* Translating telephones allow people to speak to each other in different languages.
* Machines designed to transcribe speech into computer text allow deaf people to understand spoken words.
* Exoskeletal, robotic leg prostheses allow the paraplegic to walk.
* Telephone calls are routinely screened by intelligent answering machines that ask questions to determine the call's nature and priority.
* "Cybernetic chauffeurs" can drive cars for humans and can be retrofitted into existing cars. They work by communicating with other vehicles and with sensors embedded along the roads.

Early 21st century

* The classroom is dominated by computers. Intelligent courseware that can tailor itself to each student by recognizing their strengths and weaknesses. Media technology allows students to manipulate and interact with virtual depictions of the systems and personalities they are studying.
* A small number of highly skilled people dominates the entire production sector. Tailoring of products for individuals is common.
* Drugs are designed and tested in simulations that mimic the human body.
* Blind people navigate and read text using machines that can visually recognize features of their environment.

Note: Since the "Early 2000s" and "Early 21st century" predictions are both listed before the "2010" predictions in the technology Chronology, it can be assumed that the timeframe for the first two is 2000-2010.

* PCs are capable of answering queries by accessing information wirelessly via the Internet.

2020-2050

* Phone calls entail three-dimensional holographic images of both people.
* By 2020, there will be a new World government.

2020-2070

* A computer passes the Turing Test, becoming the first true Artificial Intelligence.

The Singularity is Near (2005)

* Supercomputers will have the same raw computing power as human brains, though the software to emulate human thinking on those computers does not yet exist.
* Computers will start to disappear as distinct physical objects, meaning many will have nontraditional shapes or will be embedded in clothing and everyday objects.
* Full-immersion audio-visual virtual reality will exist.

2010s

* Computers become smaller and increasingly integrated into everyday life.
* More and more computer devices will be used as miniature web servers, and more will have their resources pooled for computation.
* High-quality broadband Internet access will become available almost everywhere.
* Glasses that beam images onto the users' retinas to produce virtual reality will be developed. They will also come with speakers or headphone attachments that will complete the experience with sounds.
* The VR glasses will also have built-in computers featuring "virtual assistant" programs that can help the user with various daily tasks. (see Augmented Reality)
* Virtual assistants would be capable of multiple functions. One useful function would be real-time language translation in which words spoken in a foreign language would be translated into text that would appear as subtitles to a user wearing the glasses.
* Cell phones will be built into clothing and will be able to project sounds directly into the ears of their users.
* Advertisements will utilize a new technology whereby two ultrasonic beams can be targeted to intersect at a specific point, delivering a localized sound message that only a single person can hear. This was depicted in the movie Minority Report.

* Automatic house cleaning robots will have become common.

* 1013 bits of computer memory—roughly the equivalent of the memory space in a single human brain—will cost $1000.

* One personal computer will have the same processing power as a human brain.

2020s

* Computers less than 100 nm in size will be possible.
* As one of their first practical applications, nanomachines are used for medical purposes.
* Highly advanced medical nanobots will perform detailed brainscans on live patients.
* Accurate computer simulations of the entire human brain will exist due to these hyperaccurate brainscans, and the workings of the brain will be understood.
* Nanobots capable of entering the bloodstream to "feed" cells and extract waste will exist (though not necessarily be in wide use) by the end of this decade. They will make the normal mode of human food consumption obsolete.
* By the late 2020s, nanotech-based manufacturing will be in widespread use, radically altering the economy as all sorts of products can suddenly be produced for a fraction of their traditional-manufacture costs. The true cost of any product is now the amount it takes to download the design schematics.
* By the later part of this decade, virtual reality will be so high-quality that it will be indistinguishable from real reality.
* The threat posed by genetically engineered pathogens permanently dissipates by the end of this decade as medical nanobots—infinitely more durable, intelligent and capable than any microorganism—become sufficiently advanced.
* A computer passes the Turing test by the last year of the decade (2029), meaning that it is a Strong AI and can think like a human (though the first A.I. is likely to be the equivalent of a very stupid human). This first A.I. is built around a computer simulation of a human brain, which was made possible by previous, nanotech-guided brainscanning.

* The most likely year for the debut of advanced nanotechnology.
* Some military UAV's and land vehicles will be 100% computer-controlled.

2030s

* Mind uploading becomes possible.
* Nanomachines could be directly inserted into the brain and could interact with brain cells to totally control incoming and outgoing signals. As a result, truly full-immersion virtual reality could be generated without the need for any external equipment. Afferent nerve pathways could be blocked, totally canceling out the "real" world and leaving the user with only the desired virtual experience.
* Brain nanobots could also elicit emotional responses from users.
* Using brain nanobots, recorded or real-time brain transmissions of a person's daily life known as "experience beamers" will be available for other people to remotely experience. This is very similar to how the characters in Being John Malkovich were able to enter the mind of Malkovich and see the world through his eyes.
* Recreational uses aside, nanomachines in peoples' brains will allow them to greatly expand their cognitive, memory and sensory capabilities, to directly interface with computers, and to "telepathically" communicate with other, similarly augmented humans via wireless networks.
* The same nanotechnology should also allow people to alter the neural connections within their brains, changing the underlying basis for the person's intelligence, memories and personality.
* Human body 2.0 (as Kurzweil calls it) is incrementally accumulated into this decade. It consists of a nanotechnological system of nourishment and circulation—obsolescing many internal organs—and an improved skeleton.

2040s

* Human body 3.0 is gradually implemented during this decade. It lacks a fixed, corporeal form and can alter its shape and external appearance at will via foglet-like nanotechnology (similar to the T-1000 from Terminator 2).
* People spend most of their time in full-immersion virtual reality (Kurzweil has cited The Matrix as a good example of what the advanced virtual worlds will be like, without the dystopian twist).
* Foglets are in use.

2045: The Singularity

* $1000 buys a computer a billion times more intelligent than every human combined. This means that average and even low-end computers are vastly smarter than even highly intelligent, unenhanced humans.
* The technological singularity occurs as artificial intelligences surpass human beings as the smartest and most capable life forms on the Earth. Technological development is taken over by the machines, who can think, act and communicate so quickly that normal humans cannot even comprehend what is going on. The machines enter into a "runaway reaction" of self-improvement cycles, with each new generation of A.I.s appearing faster and faster. From this point onwards, technological advancement is explosive, under the control of the machines, and thus cannot be accurately predicted.
* The Singularity is an extremely disruptive, world-altering event that forever changes the course of human history. The extermination of humanity by violent machines is unlikely (though not impossible) because sharp distinctions between man and machine will no longer exist thanks to the existence of cybernetically enhanced humans and uploaded humans.

Post-2045: "Waking up" the Universe

* The physical bottom limit to how small computer transistors (or other equivalent, albeit more effective components, such as memristors integrated into Crossbar latches) can be shrunk is reached. From this moment onwards, computers can only be made more powerful if they are made larger in size.
* Because of this, A.I.s convert more and more of the Earth's matter into engineered, computational substrate capable of supporting more A.I.s. until the whole Earth is one, gigantic computer, except for a few nature reserves set aside on the planetary surface for those humans who decided to remain in their natural state.
* At this point, the only possible way to increase the intelligence of the machines any farther is to begin converting all of the matter in the universe into similar massive computers. A.I.s radiate outward from Earth, first into the Solar System and then out into interstellar space in all directions, utilizing starships that are Von Neumann probes with nanobot crews, breaking down whole planets, moons and meteoroids and reassembling them into computers. This, in effect, "wakes up" the universe as all the inanimate "dumb" matter (rocks, dust, gases, etc.) is converted into structured matter capable of supporting life (albeit synthetic life).
* Kurzweil predicts that machines might have the ability to make planet-sized computers by 2099, which underscores how enormously technology will advance after the Singularity.
* The process of "waking up" the universe could be complete as early as 2199, or might take billions of years depending on whether or not machines could figure out a way to circumvent the speed of light for the purposes of interstellar travel.
* With the entire universe made into a giant, highly efficient supercomputer, AI and human hybrids (so integrated that, in truth it is a new category of "life") would have both supreme intelligence and physical control over the universe. Kurzweil suggests that this would open up all sorts of new possibilities, including abrogation of the laws of Physics, interdimensional travel, and a possible infinite extension of existence (true immortality).

Some indeterminate points within a few decades from now

* Space technology becomes advanced enough to provide the Earth permanent protection from the threat of asteroid impacts.
* The antitechnology Luddite movement will grow increasingly vocal and possibly resort to violence as these people become enraged over the emergence of new technologies that threaten traditional attitudes regarding the nature of human life (radical life extension, genetic engineering, cybernetics) and the supremacy of mankind (artificial intelligence). Though the Luddites might, at best, succeed in delaying the Singularity, the march of technology is irresistible and they will inevitably fail in keeping the world frozen at a fixed level of development.
* The emergence of distributed energy grids and full-immersion virtual reality will, when combined with high bandwidth Internet, enable the ultimate in telecommuting. This, in turn, will make cities obsolete since workers will no longer need to be located near their workplaces. The decentralization of the population will make societies less vulnerable to terrorist and military attacks.

There is more there, this seemed most relevant. I omitted his book The Age of Spiritual Machines (1999) because many of the predictions are more out there existential type stuff. I really need to get cracking on those books of his!

Edited by e Volution, 31 August 2010 - 01:35 PM.

#143 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 02:12 PM

http://io9.com/52744...o-fact checking

#144 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 04:47 AM

Hey, that's a good idea. Maybe you (or someone else) could edit something and put it up on YouTube?

I'm looking into it (not that I have any video editing skills!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9UMt-8gfW8
This looks very interesting, I have to download it!

As a chess player myself, I recall the progression from the early eighties went something like this:
"Ok it knows how to play, but it'll never beat a strong club player."
"Ok it can beat a strong club player, but it'll never beat a master."
"Ok it can beat a master, but it'll never beat a grandmaster."
"Ok it can beat a grandmaster, but it'll never beat Kasparov."
"Ok it can beat Kasparov. Anyone for tennis?"

Haha that is great. I have just been learning how hard it was for poor Kasparov!

#145 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

Not sure if this has been posted in one of the other 100 Kurzweil threads, but this seemed to be the best place. This is Ray's accounting of his predictions (pdf), mainly in response to criticism by Michael Anissimov.
  • like x 1

#146 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:54 PM

Not sure if this has been posted in one of the other 100 Kurzweil threads, but this seemed to be the best place. This is Ray's accounting of his predictions (pdf), mainly in response to criticism by Michael Anissimov.

Thanks. I hadn't seen it in any Kurzweil threads.

#147 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:56 AM

Thanks Mind. It is quite unbelievable how many of his predictions turned out to be spot on. My latest take on this is Ray is mostly on the money with all of his thoughts, it's just his conclusions about how this will shape the future in 15-30 years are just so out there that most people simply have a knee-jerk reaction and think he must have something fundamentally wrong.

I was sitting in the lounge room with a few friends the other day when another friend arrived. Upon walking in he laughed that all 4 of us already present were sitting on the couch watching TV as per usual, but all also sporting laptops on our laps, starting into our screens. He commented "nerdsssssssssss!", which I couldn't help but chuckle at. I reminded him that the computer in his pocket-- which he caries on him 24/7--the iPhone, is actually a much more powerful and capable computer than my desktop PC of just 4-5 years ago. The lesson to me is that most people, even young technically savy generation Y'ers, don't realise the transformation that is happening amongst us. It is actually the fact that so much of this stuff is so NON-disruptive (how much has everyday life really changed from 5 years ago with no Facebook or iPhones??) that allows the march forward to a singularity of sorts so possible. People won't know what hit them! But we will :cool:

#148 Sentience

• 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:45 AM

I just read through this whole thread, and there are a few things I thought were quite interesting:

1) People's view of Kurzweil's predictions became much more favorable as time went on. In 2008, everyone was saying he was way off. Now, it looks like he got the majority correct. I guess when he makes a prediction 10 years out and one of those years hasn't happened yet, it's not quite fair to say that he'll clearly be wrong, especially when the prediction seemed just as ridiculous when made it, and since the technology increases exponentially he will seem off until close to the end date.

2) A lot of people cherrie pick to make an argument. He made a LOT of predictions, so obviously some will be right on the money and some will be off. To me, he seemed to get about two-thirds correct, though a lot of them are open to interpretation.

3) His predictions were for the sort of things that could be developed, not necessarily exactly what would. I believe the bit about the computerized personalities proves this. Kurzweil said the " two most popular are Maggie, who claims to be a waitress in a Harvard Square cafE, and Michelle, a stripper from New Orleans." Clearly, Kurzweil does not believe that exact scenario would play out, he just thought something like that could. I think by the same logic, his prediction, for instance, that portable computers would be under a pound, while technically incorrect, is not necessarily fully wrong, since laptops were 2 to 3 pounds in 2009, and could have been made under a pound, though at the detriment of ability.

3) I don't think it matters if he is a little bit off. Many of the predictions are a few years off. If that error scales, we might get AI and immortality in 2038 instead of 2029, and I don't think there's a fundamental difference between the two (though if I was middle aged instead of 20, I might disagree).

4) Some people mentioned how people are getting stupider, but I don't think that is true. Google Flynn effect. The feeling that people are getting stupider is similar to that of crime rates increasing (almost always, most Americans believe crime rates are increasing, while they almost always are decreasing). Sure, people are stupid, but they always have been and it's not an increasing trend.

5) A parallel was drawn between predictions between computers and space flight, and I think the two are not similar for a number of reasons. First, computation is much more quantitative and therefore easier to make predictions about than space flight. Second, space flight has been governed by government spending and not capitalism, and while capitalistic forces tend to obey social-scientific sudo-laws that can be used to base predictions on, the government funding of space exploration has been more sporadic and therefore more difficult to predict. Third, and in my opinion most importantly, computers have a positive feedback loop that space flight does not. Space flight does not lead to more space flight. Maybe at first it does a little because it gets people excited, but then it hits a limit, and we can't use the previous generation of spaceflight to produce the next generation. Computers are different; we use computers to make better computers (do you think IBM would be able to design the next generation of chips without advanced hardware and software for that specific task?), so there is positive feedback. This phenomenon leads to exponential increases in computers, as advances lead to new advances even faster.
  • like x 1

#149 Link

• 120 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

Glasses that beam images onto the users' retinas to produce virtual reality will be developed. They will also come with speakers or headphone attachments that will complete the experience with sounds.

Cell phones will be built into clothing and will be able to project sounds directly into the ears of their users.

I'm not really debating that the above predictions will be be possible, (there is already a t-shirt that can charge your mobile phone http://www.engadget....ne-while-you-l/) but to me they seem like gimmicky, impractical technologies rather than something that will become part of everyday life the way mobiles and laptops have.

I just don't know why anyone would want a mobile phone built into their t-shirt, it's so tacky. Besides, i think people like having their phone as a physical object, especially as they move towards being more like "pocket computers". Phones are fashion accessories and status symbols as well as communication devices. The idea of having it integrated into a t-shirt reminds me of those casio calculator watches. Yeah some people will go for it, and then they'll probably tuck it into their stone washed jeans.

As for the glasses, i can't see myself being bothered to wear glasses simply so that i can have the time, date and weather forecast perpetually plastered in the top right hand corner of my vision. But maybe i'm misunderstanding what Ray is talking about here.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#150 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:17 PM

Glasses that beam images onto the users' retinas to produce virtual reality will be developed. They will also come with speakers or headphone attachments that will complete the experience with sounds.

Cell phones will be built into clothing and will be able to project sounds directly into the ears of their users.

There are LCD glasses that you can watch movies on. It is more practical for me to detatch and reattach my cell phone daily than it is to stitch it to my clothing, but for all intents, it is pretty much a part of my clothing now. In addition, my wireless ear piece project the sound directly into my ears so I have no messy wires to keep track of. Oh, and there are thought controlled video game controllers now.

MAtter of persepctive I guess.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kurzweil, singularity, breakthroughs, biomedicine, dna sequencing, computing, brain, artificial intelligence, robotics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users