• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Zero Point Energy Device?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:57 AM

http://nextbigfuture...t-for-zero.html

Just read this the other day and if this is accurate, and it works, it would seem like the ultimate power supply for any nanoscale device, and possibly any device at all. Any thoughts? I'm not a physicst, so I have no idea if this will work or not.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:54 AM

http://nextbigfuture...t-for-zero.html

Just read this the other day and if this is accurate, and it works, it would seem like the ultimate power supply for any nanoscale device, and possibly any device at all. Any thoughts? I'm not a physicst, so I have no idea if this will work or not.

My initial reaction to this was "oh not again... another violation of the laws of thermodynamics", but we may need to think again on this. The jovian corp device is based on low molecular weight gasses in Casimir fields. The Casimir effect is well known, involving electrically conductive plates in extremely close proximity. Such cavities can be created using now-conventional lithographic methods, so the production of a cell is feasible. Will it work? I say, "show me the heat", and I don't think that the Jovian device has produced a significant amount as of yet. However, the really fascinating thing to me was this post, which relates this technology to something that Blacklight Power has been working on for a number of years. I've done some looking into them, and they are quite real. Their physical chemistry is the real thing, and there is independent verification that they are not just producing a little bit of excess energy, but 50MW at a time. Rather than using a mechanically produced Casimir channel, they are using Raney Nickel, an alloy of nickel and aluminum where the aluminum has been dissolved, leaving a network of cavities. Both of these devices may be exploiting the same physics that was hinted at in the well known Cold Fusion work. I'm happy to see the Blacklight process has moved toward commercialization. There are a lot of scientists who are firmly convinced that these things are "impossible". There's going to be a lot of backpedaling going on in the near future, I suspect. You can get the BLP story here. It will be world-changing. I'm not even going to say "if it pans out". I think it has already panned out, and is close (within a few years) to being rolled out. Welcome to the future.

#3 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:58 AM

if only!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:51 AM

Thats my exact problem. The documentation appears legitimate, and the source at least trustable, which means if ZPE has been acheived, we're looking at the birth of self powered devices that will never need batteries, recharging, fueling, or connection to a power grid. Any size device could be powered with an appropriate ZPE cell. Oil? Wind? Geothermal? Unneeded if every home can power itself and every device is self powered.

This could be as radical a change as any other major advance. Almost free energy production in nearly limitless amounts.

And if it is completely true, it snuck up on us. No-One predicted limitless energy devices. Not like this anyway.

#5 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:02 AM

I am not sure that no one predicted them, they should definitely come one day, hopefully sooner than later.
It is probably one of the only ways to avoid a possible end of the universe scenario too.

Limitless energy = limitless matter = limitless food, materials, devices, machines, production, no economy (no need for economy!), effort..
Sounds like haven! which brings me back to "if only!"

#6 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:46 PM

You can never draw energy from zero point energy!!!! Zero point energy means the lowest energy possible, so you can never draw energy from it because otherwise you would lower the energy of the zero point energy and that’s quantum mechanically impossible. Zero can never be a own value of the wave equation because 0 multiplied with psi would be zero. So: H psi = E psi if E would be zero then H psi = 0 and you always need a wave equation on both sides of the Schrödinger equation.

Explained in another way. The energy operator and the place operator don’t commutate. So if your energy would be zero then the Heisenberg uncertainty relation would state that zero is higher or equal to h bar and that’s not the case.

Edited by s123, 05 March 2009 - 03:05 PM.

#7 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:34 PM

You can never draw energy from zero point energy!!!! Zero point energy means the lowest energy possible, so you can never draw energy from it because otherwise you would lower the energy of the zero point energy and that’s quantum mechanically impossible. Zero can never be a own value of the wave equation because 0 multiplied with psi would be zero. So: H psi = E psi if E would be zero then H psi = 0 and you always need a wave equation on both sides of the Schrödinger equation.

Explained in another way. The energy operator and the place operator don’t commutate. So if your energy would be zero then the Heisenberg uncertainty relation would state that zero is higher or equal to h bar and that’s not the case.

Here is an idea, maybe energy isn't drawn but is gathered?
They say the universe expanding, what if you collapse parts of it and use them as energy, then they expand again and recollected in the device?

My knowledge in physics is nearing 0 but it sounds logical, in philosophy :)

#8 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

Zero can never be a own value of the wave equation because 0 multiplied with psi would be zero. So: H psi = E psi if E would be zero then H psi = 0 and you always need a wave equation on both sides of the Schrödinger equation.

Of course 0 can be an eigenvalue of H. For example, in free quantum field theory we often define H so that this is the case. However, that is not relevant to the issue at hand.

This is also incorrect. Go have another look at the uncertainty relation for general operators. But again, it is not relevant to the issue at hand.

#9 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:29 AM

They better hurry or Steorn will beat them to it..... :)

#10 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:06 AM

I am not sure that no one predicted them, they should definitely come one day, hopefully sooner than later.
It is probably one of the only ways to avoid a possible end of the universe scenario too.

Limitless energy = limitless matter = limitless food, materials, devices, machines, production, no economy (no need for economy!), effort..

It's not limitless. Eventually you would run out of hydrogen. But it's pretty damn close to limitless, as far as our measly terrestrial activities go.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 04:19 AM

Thats my exact problem. The documentation appears legitimate, and the source at least trustable, which means if ZPE has been acheived, we're looking at the birth of self powered devices that will never need batteries, recharging, fueling, or connection to a power grid. Any size device could be powered with an appropriate ZPE cell. Oil? Wind? Geothermal? Unneeded if every home can power itself and every device is self powered.

This could be as radical a change as any other major advance. Almost free energy production in nearly limitless amounts.

I think this is a good assessment.

And if it is completely true, it snuck up on us. No-One predicted limitless energy devices. Not like this anyway.

It didn't exactly sneak, if you consider Pons & Fleischman's '89 (or thereabouts) announcement. The problem was that the first people who stumbled upon this phenomenon were pounced upon very severely by the conventional physics community. Certain members of it, anyway. It became an utterly toxic field to work in, and no one looked at it for a long time. All this stuff is still synonymous with fraud. (see Steorn ref above.) There's a long history of people trying to pawn off schemes that violate the first law of thermodynamics, and the first law has never been wrong. It still isn't, as far as I can tell. It's just that we didn't know that there were energy states below the 1s level that are accessible only under very obscure conditions. Soon physicists' and chemists' heads will be exploding all across the land.

#12 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:05 AM

This is news to me. I didn't even know there were people working on such a thing. The only place i've heard zero point referenced was in tv shows. I always just assumed it was a fictional idea.

#13 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:21 AM

It didn't exactly sneak, if you consider Pons & Fleischman's '89 (or thereabouts) announcement. The problem was that the first people who stumbled upon this phenomenon were pounced upon very severely by the conventional physics community. Certain members of it, anyway. It became an utterly toxic field to work in, and no one looked at it for a long time. All this stuff is still synonymous with fraud. (see Steorn ref above.) There's a long history of people trying to pawn off schemes that violate the first law of thermodynamics, and the first law has never been wrong. It still isn't, as far as I can tell. It's just that we didn't know that there were energy states below the 1s level that are accessible only under very obscure conditions. Soon physicists' and chemists' heads will be exploding all across the land.

Humm, so this is basically the principle discovered as "cold fusion" now that it has been more throughly researched?

I am quite familar with MIT's suppression of competition regarding cold fusion, prompted by their fears of loss of funding for their so far useless Tokamak.

I've also been reading far more indepth and find the possibility quite interesting. I also read an article not so long ago about how some papers have been proposed recently about shifting the electromagnetic spectrum dependant cell network over to a system using high frequency "gravity waves" which corresponds to the the theories of T Townsend Brown who suggested that gravity was controllable, and that "gravity wave" transmissions would replace radio frequency transmissions... back in the fifties.

It's interesting the number of "crackpot" sciences that might prove not to be "crackpot" What's next?

#14 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:27 AM

niner,

Do you understand the physics involved ?

I would love to believe all these great things are just around the corner, but how do you tell the genuine from the fakes ?
Although I can totally believe that people are suppressing certain technologies...

#15 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:07 AM

All right to sum up what the various readings I have done over the last several days:

Essentually what is theorized to be occuring is that the microwells are providing a channel for gases to flow through. The narrowness of the wells is forcing the gas (hydrogen) to pass through in single atom at a time mode. The electromagnetic forces are essentually "squeezing" heat energy out of the electron shells by forcing them to assume a lower energy level while passing through the well. Once the hydrogen atom has been passed through, then the electron shell resumes it's uncompressed state, due to picking up the needed energy from the background wave energy states.

I don't know the math involved, but it seems fairly straight forward enough. You can probably argue against it far more eloquently than I, but there's one small problem I might have with whatever arguement you come up with. That theory is one created to explain an OBSERVED PHENOMINA. Thus, it is a theory after the fact. As the phenomina is further studied, I have no doubt that it will be refined, replaced or refuted, but whatever theory replaces it HAS TO ACCOUNT FOR THE OBSERVATIONS.

Now, having studied the reports, made by an independant university laboratory, as well as combining this with researches I did years ago into "cold fusion" I can suddenly understand why "cold fusion" could never be repeated on demand. Because the effect wasn't dependant on the quality of the palladium, or the concentration of deuterium, but on whether or not the palladium possessed a signifigant number of nanochannels to drive the deuterium through. Experiments which detected elevated heat beyond what could be accounted for by ordinary chemistry must therefore have been those in which the palladium possessed a sufficient number of nanochannels.

The Blacklight Power experiments are using nanowells formed by leeching aluminum out of nickle, thus showing that the palladium mattered only as a support for the nanochannels. As the channels formed by such a process is unlikely to maintain a uniform width, I would suspect that the process is far from optimal, but NONETHELESS appears to be producing heat far above what could be accounted for by simple chemistry. The studies posted by Niner earlier give detailed accounts of the study and methodology, and I saw no issues that I could identify to make anysort of claim that they were not through. I'm not a Chemist. If you are, please read the document and tell me WHERE it is in error.

Now, assuming that the nanowells could be made uniformly, with all channels exactly the same diameter throughout, then it is likely the patent by Jovian will exceed the amounts of thermal energy produced by the BLP prototypes by a considerable margin.

Now, nowing that most free energy devices tend to be filled with technobabble and mysticism, but nothing even remotely like verifiable testing by an independant lab, then it seems fairly reasonable to presume that the information provided by BLP shows far more solid evidence for viability than the typical "free energy device" and in fact it is no more than a device using quantum mechanics to provide it's working principles in the same way a nuclear reactor uses atomic reactions to work, and a gasoline motor uses chemical and electronic processes to work.

Thus, provided that the theory is correct, it seems reasonable to assume the Jovian is on the verge of producing a high output scalable energy device. If the nanowell theory is incorrect, then it will not, but it will mean that further research into WHY the BLP system DOES WORK is called for.

In other words, as Niner said, this is probably going to cause a massive paradigm shift in quantum physics over the next few years, particularly if the Jovian device works from the first few attempts on.

Becasue it seems SOMETHING is happening, even if the theories as to why might be wrong. In every case, observable phenomina requires a greater respect than any theory.

#16 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:23 AM

Continued doing more investigation into this, and it's been rather illumination.

For one, I've yet to find serious criticism of the BLP device. Plenty of derision, one paper claiming errors, another paper claiming that the first paper was mistaken because it did not take realitavistic effects into account, and numerous "well he's saying that current QM theories are wrong in a few basic assumptions, so obviously he's a scammer!"

I looked into the statements made by miller about the basic assumptions he claims QM gets wrong, and to be honest, even I know that a lot of QM mathematics is not neat, can lead to infinities which do not match observed data, and require numerous sub equations to handle the different properties of electrons, and is still unable to unify with the theory of relativity. Miller claims his can.
I'm not qualified to judge, but it seems to me that the people who would be aren't even attempting to, but simply assuming he has to be wrong because they say so. I spent several days reading various blogs and commentaries all over the net, but it seems the moment they get to the line "current quantum mechanical theories are incomplete" they go into ridicule mode and never bother to go further.

The problem is that there is independant evidence his process works.

However, the proof as they say is in the pudding, and since BLP has signed with two NM power co-ops to provide BLP generators this year, we'll soon know for sure. I've never heard of a con artist who tried to sell "perpetual motion machines" who refused to put his stock up for public purchase, raised bearly enough money to keep his company running, maintained the employ of accredited scientists who publish in peer review journals, and finally sent his scheme out to be independantly verified, before going commercial with a functional product. If he's a con artist, he did a damn poor job of making himself rich and running with the money.

The jury is still out until he delivers a functional machine, but he looks like he's preparing to put his cards on the table and say "I told you so" to a whole world full of naysayers.

I want to see him succeed, but until then, I'll just have to wait and see. He might be a con artist as big as PT Barnum, he might not. Time will tell.

#17 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:22 AM

I think that when the first nano assembler is produced you'll see a bunch of these other ideas bear fruit. At this point it's just a matter of being patient and waiting to see how the cookie crumbles.

#18 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:33 AM

I think that when the first nano assembler is produced you'll see a bunch of these other ideas bear fruit. At this point it's just a matter of being patient and waiting to see how the cookie crumbles.

And for an Update on this:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NEWS RELEASE

BlackLight Power, Inc. Announces Independent Validation of Breakthrough New Energy Source Based on a New Form of Hydrogen and Chemistry Capable of Continuous Regeneration
BlackLight Power Physics Grand Slam: Power, Hydrinos, Light Signature, Theory Prediction Validated

Cranbury, NJ (August 12, 2009)—BlackLight Power, Inc. (BLP) today announces that scientists at Rowan University have for the first time independently formulated and tested fuels that on demand generated energy greater than that of combustion at power levels of kilowatts using BLP’s proprietary solid-fuel chemistry capable of continuous regeneration. Operating power systems using BLP’s chemistry, Rowan University professors have reported a net energy gain of up to 6.5 times the maximum energy potential of the materials in the system from known chemical reactions.

In a joint statement, Dr. K.V. Ramanujachary, Rowan University Meritorious Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Dr. Amos Mugweru, Assistant Professor of Chemistry, and Dr. Peter Jansson P.E., Associate Professor of Engineering said, “In independent tests conducted over the past three months involving 10 solid fuels made by us from commercially-available chemicals, our team of engineering and chemistry professors, staff, and students at Rowan University has independently and consistently generated energy in excesses ranging from 1.2 times to 6.5 times the maximum theoretical heat available through known chemical reactions.”

“Additionally, we have analyzed the reaction products and are confident that the procedures we have followed and chemicals we have procured and reacted are not capable of generating the quantities of heat we have observed with previously known chemistry. This significant disclosure by BLP makes it readily possible for other laboratories to demonstrate the repeatability of these reactions that produce anomalous heat regularly in our university laboratory. Moreover, we have also reproduced BLP’s tests that identify a novel form of hydrogen as the likely explanation of the additional heat evolved.”

Based on the solid fuel used and power generated at scales of approximately 30 kW, the reaction appears scalable to any level. Moreover, BLP scientists were able to regenerate the fuel by simply applying heat. This breakthrough advances the commercial viability of the BlackLight Process as a new non-polluting energy source that was first announced by BLP in October 2008.

Proof of Power
The validation by the Rowan University team provides further evidence that the observed energy gain will enable the operation of commercial power plants by continuously replacing the hydrogen that is consumed by the BlackLight Process to form hydrinos. Hydrinos are a prior undiscovered form of hydrogen in lower-energy states produced by the BlackLight Process as latent energy is released by hydrogen atoms. The energy released forming a hydrino is over 200 times the energy required to extract hydrogen from water by electrolysis to produce the new hydrogen fuel consumed during the BlackLight Process.

“The advanced version of the solid fuel is very efficient at liberating energy from forming hydrinos and requires essentially no energy to reverse the chemical product back into the initial fuel. Regeneration was achieved simply with heat. This is enabling of continuous generation of power using simplistic and efficient systems that use heat liberated by forming “hydrinos” to concurrently maintain regeneration. The system is closed except that only hydrogen consumed in forming hydrinos needs to be replaced,” said Dr. Randell Mills, Chairman, CEO and President of BlackLight Power, Inc.

“The observed energy gain and successful thermal regeneration of the solid fuel show the feasibility of using the solid fuel in a recycled manner as a replacement for fossil and nuclear fuels in power plants. These developments are anticipated to result in a significant decrease in the time to commercialization”, noted Dr. Mills.

John Miller, recently appointed to the Board of Directors of BLP and former president of Standard Oil, described the recent advances saying, “The successful development of new-generation chemistry and its simple thermal regeneration is a major historical step toward near-term, commercial hydrino power. Our recent execution of eight billion watts of commercial licensing agreements demonstrates that the power market is beginning to agree.”

Proof of Existence of Hydrinos
BLP also announces successful independent production and characterization of a new form of hydrogen by professors at Rowan University. In the study independently performed at Rowan University laboratories, Professor Ramanujachary and Professor Mugweru synthesized from base materials the previously undiscovered form of hydrogen and were able to characterize hydrogen atoms existing in lower-energy states – called hydrinos – as predicted by BLP. In further confirmation, the Rowan University team was also able to identify similar hydrino signatures from net energy producing systems operating in Professor Jansson’s laboratories. This represents the first time BLP has taught independent labs the techniques for making hydrinos from scratch.

Dr. Ramanujachary remarked, “Recent advances in techniques at BLP in production of this new form of matter appear to make it straightforward for any lab in the world to synthesize sufficient volumes to characterize this previously unknown form of hydrogen.” Dr. Mugweru continues, “Knowing the starting materials of the synthesis reaction and fully characterizing the by-products, other than a new form of hydrogen, we were unable to make an assignment to known species for the signatures observed.”

Light Signature of Hydrino
BLP also announces today the publication of a paper, by Dr. Randell Mills, Dr. Kamran Akhtar, and Dr. Ying Lu in the Central European Journal of Physics describing a significant new confirmation of hydrinos. For the first time, BLP confirms direct spectral observation of transitions of hydrogen to form hydrinos. These experiments showing hydrogen spectral emissions below 80 nanometers, the previously known ground state, are decisive evidence of the existence of hydrinos theoretically predicted by Dr. Randell Mills. Describing the significance of the breakthrough, Dr. Mills said, “This is smoking-gun evidence of the existence of hydrinos, the light signature observed is from pure hydrogen and at much higher energy than deemed possible for this element in any known form.”

Successful Application of Theory
BLP has published eight journal articles in the past seven months reporting the energetic characteristics of its power-producing process and released in July the newest edition of the Grand Unified Theory of Classical Physics that predicts hydrinos. These are available at: http://www.blacklightpower.com/.

BLP’s wholly-owned subsidiary, Millsian, Inc., a developer of molecular modeling applications of classical physics, announces the release today of Millsian 2.0 Beta software that can visualize the exact three-dimensional structure and calculate physical characteristics of a boundless number of molecules of any length and complexity including complex proteins and DNA. BLP believes that Millsian software represents a major breakthrough that may impact nearly all businesses involved in drug development, material science, and chemistry. More importantly, it proves that classical laws of physics apply at the atomic and molecular scale, the principle that predicted hydrinos.

Professors Peter Jansson, K.V. Ramanujachary, and Amos Mugweru, have released reports outlining the full documentation and results of the off-site replication and independent testing of the new power systems, new-generation chemistry, and hydrino characterization testing that is available at: http://www.blacklightpower.com/.

A technical paper giving the detailed chemistry that BLP believes laboratories can easily follow and replicate is given at http://www.blacklightpower.com

About BlackLight Power
BlackLight Power, Inc. is the inventor of a new primary energy source and a new field of hydrogen chemistry with broad commercial applications.

BlackLight Power has invented a new primary energy source with applications to heating, distributed power generation, central power generation, and motive power based on a new chemical process of releasing the latent energy of the hydrogen atom, the BlackLight Process.

For more information, please visit http://www.blacklightpower.com/

About Rowan University
Rowan University, Glassboro, N.J., is a highly ranked comprehensive public university that offers bachelor through doctoral degrees. The University comprises seven colleges: Business, Communication, Education, Engineering, Fine & Performing Arts, Liberal Arts & Sciences, and Professional & Continuing Education. U.S News & World Report ranks Rowan's College of Engineering 12th in the nation among programs that offer bachelor and master degrees.

Glossary:

BlackLight Process: A novel chemical process invented by BLP causing the latent energy stored in the hydrogen atom to be released as a new primary energy source.

Hydrino: Hydrinos are a new form of hydrogen discovered by BLP. Hydrinos are produced during the BlackLight Process as energy is released from the hydrogen atom as the electron transitions to a lower-energy state resulting in a smaller radius hydrogen atom.

Spectral Emissions: Spectral emission of an atom such as hydrogen is a unique signature that acts like a fingerprint of its characteristics. Each line of the spectrum is characteristic of and identifies the energy levels of the atom.

Applications of BlackLight Process
Two of the potential applications of its technology are in heating and electric power production. The heat-generating prototypes have shown the BlackLight Process to be potentially competitive with existing primary generation sources over a range of scales from micro-distributed to central power generation. The BlackLight Process thermal power source may be ideal for interfacing with commercially available electric power generating equipment. BlackLight technology may be well-suited for the utility industries and could reduce or eliminate problems such as those arising from the variable regional supply and price of fuels such as coal, natural gas, and oil, and the cost of building out a suitable supporting infrastructure and transmission grids, as well as eliminate pollution, greenhouse gas emission and other market, supply, infrastructure, or environmental adversities.

Media Contacts:
Ramya Kumaraswamy
Hill & Knowlton for BlackLight Power, Inc.
Mobile: 646-552-8639
Office: 212-885-0552
ramya.kumaraswamy@hillandknowlton.com

So basically the entire process has been independantly verified, and left the researchers no possible conclusion but that hydrinos exist. And that the entire system works as claimed, regardless of BLP's theories as to WHY it works.

Working, scientificaly verified product. Why it works can be figured out later. THAT IT ACTUALLY DOES WORK shows that a lot of physicists need to figure out what's wrong with their theories, since reality shows them to be wrong.

#19 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:59 AM

Wow, I have to say, that happened fast. It wasn't that long ago that they had this working as a batch process, which proved the principle, but it wasn't clear to me that a continuous process would be developed so soon. The Blacklight guys have really been in overdrive lately. This is going to be an interesting study in scientific and technological revolutions, and also points out why predicting the future is so tricky. I'm trying to come up with an equivalent technological development from our past, and while it sounds sort of hyperbolic, I think this is like witnessing the discovery of fire. I was going to say the transition from wood-burning to fossil fuels, but considering the materials science that falls out of discovery of hydrinos in addition to the huge improvement in joules per dollar, this is bigger than that. The future really does have a positive bias, doesn't it?

#20 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:55 AM

I'm confused :X

You do need to replace the "fuel", you simply gain a lot more energy than expected?

#21 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:19 AM

You do need to replace the "fuel", you simply gain a lot more energy than expected?

Yeah, that's basically it. It takes energy to split water into hydrogen and oxygen; more than you would get back by burning the hydrogen to regenerate water. If the only way you have to get energy out of hydrogen is burning it, then an "energy from water" scheme would be impossible. What makes this new method special is that they aren't burning the hydrogen, but rather they are changing the electronic state of the hydrogen atom in a way that releases a huge amount of energy; lots more than burning, but less than nuclear fusion. Once that is done, the hydrogen is "used up" in an energetic sense, but it will be a valuable product that will be able to be used in all sorts of new materials.

#22 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:46 AM

The "fuel" is a catalyst agent that is reusable. Basically the changes that are done to the catalyst are reversible using a small fraction of the overall heat output of the device, so the "fuel" is pumped into the device along with hydrogen, it forces the hydrogen to undergo energy loss to a lower state, the hydrino, then it is pumped into a holding tank where it is heated by the very process that it catalyzed to return to it's neutral state, releasing the hydrinos. The process is continuous, requires only an initial heat of 500 degrees to begin the process, and is capable of being put directly into existing generating plants as a replacement to the oil/coal/nuclear heating element. The steam generated then drives the turbines for power, a small fraction of which will electrolyze water to produce hydrogen to feed into the heating unit.

That's how I understand it to work. I may be wrong about the "continuous" part, but if the system is more like an internal combustion engine in that each "burst" of power uses up all the fuel in a particular amount, then it's still easy to make a continuous feed system to insert set amounts, catalyze, then replace the spent fuel with a new cartridge, heat the spent cartridge to return the catalyst to normal and then feed it back in again. If the bursts are coming at intervals of a minute or two, enough heat will be maintained in the thermal exchangers to continue steam production heating between bursts.

All in all, it looks like BLP just might be about to permanently solve the energy crisis. considering how small the test reactors were in this video:

http://www.blackligh...nt_video_v2.wmv

we might even see a practical small scale plant to run cars. A small BLP plant to heat a electric turbine to run zero emissions cars.

And if that happens, why not ones for personal home use? why worry about a power grid at all? Maybe our near future will see a lot of overhead wires going bye bye too.

#23 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:52 PM

This will really throw a wet blanket on the budding solar, and wind industry.

#24 Zubin

• 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:23 PM

It would be nice if such a device came to use in the near future but the fact of the matter is that
the government spends too much money on less important things like bailout plans and criminal
containment. If all the money used for said bailouts and criminal containment, etc. all went toward
scientific research and development then science would advance in a manner that would give solutions
to mankind at a time early enough to be appropriate. Another problem with the government is the
whole thing with "morality" which is something that also prevents scientific advancement. In USA we
can't have significant development in the fields of stem-cell research and gene therapy because
people are just too ignorant to see the big picture.

#25 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:15 AM

It would be nice if such a device came to use in the near future but the fact of the matter is that
the government spends too much money on less important things like bailout plans and criminal
containment. If all the money used for said bailouts and criminal containment, etc. all went toward
scientific research and development then science would advance in a manner that would give solutions
to mankind at a time early enough to be appropriate. Another problem with the government is the
whole thing with "morality" which is something that also prevents scientific advancement. In USA we
can't have significant development in the fields of stem-cell research and gene therapy because

A few years ago, I might have agreed with you. However, I am starting to think that the Moritorium put on stem cell research in the USA had little to no effect on the state of stemcell research worldwide.

As for the BLP device, there's not really any need for research into the development of the device. It's been made and in going into production. The research needed is in the area of theory, in figuring out if Mill's theories are right, or if they are incorrect and the process is actually due to a different quantum property than he proposes. It's quite possible that the BLP device is a Kasimir well device, or a variant of cold fusion. Regardless the actual device itself seems to be a reality.

#26 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:46 AM

The reason for this is democracy. Government by The People, when The People are heavily leavened with the ignorant, the reactionary, and the superstitious. If a significant majority of the voting public wanted less criminal containment, more stem cell research and gene therapy, it would happen. What you want is a benevolent monarch. Another option would be for a sizable majority of the public to get a clue. At the moment, a substantial fraction of the public doesn't even have a firm grip on reality, much less "a clue". The saving grace here is that, as Val points out, the government doesn't need to do anything for the BLP device to progress, other than resist pressure from fossil fuel lobbyists to place legal barriers in its way.

#27 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:36 AM

A few years ago, I might have agreed with you. However, I am starting to think that the Moritorium put on stem cell research in the USA had little to no effect on the state of stemcell research worldwide.

As for the BLP device, there's not really any need for research into the development of the device. It's been made and in going into production. The research needed is in the area of theory, in figuring out if Mill's theories are right, or if they are incorrect and the process is actually due to a different quantum property than he proposes. It's quite possible that the BLP device is a Kasimir well device, or a variant of cold fusion. Regardless the actual device itself seems to be a reality.

There is no independent evidence that large scale power production if possible. The only independent evidence is regarding a brief burst of heat. BLP promised they had a working prototype in their lab ten years ago that would be shown in just a year. Well, now it is ten years later and they still promising the same thing. Looking further back, Mill has not managed to present an independently verified useful product or prototype of anything during the eighteen years that BLP has existed. So do not hold your breath.

Edited by Blue, 22 September 2009 - 06:49 AM.

#28 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:47 AM

There is no independent evidence that large scale power production if possible. The only independent evidence is regarding a brief burst of heat. BLP promised they had a working prototype in their lab ten years ago that would be shown in just a year. Well, now it is ten years later and they still promising the same thing. Looking further back, Mill has not managed to present an independently verified useful product or prototype of anything during the eighteen years that BLP has existed. So do not hold your breath.

And once more Blue you simply point out the state of the situation LAST YEAR.

#29 Blue

• 1,104 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:51 AM

And once more Blue you simply point out the state of the situation LAST YEAR.

There is still no independent evidence that large scale energy production is possible. Only thing that has changed is that one possible source of fraud has been eliminated since the Rowan researchers now produced their own fuel instead of getting it from BLP. The situation is unchanged regarding the reactor prototype, it will be shown next year, last year it would be shown this year, ten years ago it would be shown nine years ago...

#30 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

There is still no independent evidence that large scale energy production is possible. Only thing that has changed is that one possible source of fraud has been eliminated since the Rowan researchers now produced their own fuel instead of getting it from BLP. The situation is unchanged regarding the reactor prototype, it will be shown next year, last year it would be shown this year, ten years ago it would be shown nine years ago...

Installation in a power plant in New Mexico is a bit beyond showing a prototype Blue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users