Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

The Top Ten Superfoods & Herbs

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 3VeRL0ng

• 66 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:23 AM

I got pretty big into the raw food scene about a year ago (this was the drink that did it: Green Goodness). But because I felt that I couldn't live off that type of "diet", due to cost & withdrawal of meat (I need me some chicken), I still found it a pretty interesting experience living off these unique foods. Eventually, while researching up on the ingredients blended in "Green Goodness", I had stumbled across the name David Wolfe, and apparently this was the guy I was subconsciously looking for, since he may as well be the "poster boy" for raw foods, hell you're taken directly to his website by typing rawfoods.com. One of the vids. with him I came across on YouTube gave me a pretty general idea of what these so-called "superfoods" were capable of doing, in terms of health & longevity (It's compiled into about 20 parts, but here is it if any of you are interested , <-- this is the first part by the way). But anyways, I found this to be a pretty fun watch, and I actually just decided to post this for fun on here, so I hope you guys enjoy:

Top 10 Superfoods:
1. Cacao (Higher antioxidant levels than blueberries and pomegranate!? Nawwww...)
2. Goji Berries (2nd best food for longevity, according to Mr. Wolfe of course. BTW he claims honey to be the first best.)
3. Maca (I actually first discovered this "superfood" through Wolfe)
4. Bee Pollen
5. Marine Phytoplankton (Seems to be a pretty good source of Omega-3 IMO. But I feel more comfortable now that I've switched back to taking Fish-Oil)
6. Aloe Vera
7. Spirulina
8. Blue Green Algae
9. Chlorella
10. Hemp Seed
And...
Top 10 Herbs:
1. Mushrooms (Most notably the Medicinal Mushrooms: Reishi, Cordyceps, Maitake, etc.)
2. Ginseng (Actually I've finally just got around to ordering some Panax Ginseng and now am looking forward to incorporating it into my reg. if satisfied.)
3. Astragalus
4. Cat's Claw (Another one I had ordered & looking forward to trying.)
5. Camu Camu Berry (Highest source of Vitamin-C.)
6. Mangosteen Rind
7. Pau D' Arco
8. Tulsi aka Holy Basil
9. Ashwagandha
10. Garlic...
So out of boredom and restlessness, The Top 10 Superfoods & Herbs According to David Wolfe. Anything that anyone would replace on either list? or even add? Let's have fun with this, shall we?

#2 senseix

• 250 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

I would add:

1. flax seed
2. coconut water
3. coconut meat
4. coconut oil
5. Kelp
6. Dandelion
7. Most green leafy things that are safe to consume.

I could add more but those come to mind after i read this list.

Edited by senseix, 06 March 2009 - 09:33 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

1. Grass-fed beef
2. Wild salmon
3. Organic chicken
4. Bone marrow
5. Tuna
6. DHA-Enhanced Eggs
7. European/Greek Yogurt
8. Leafy greens
9. Almonds/Walnuts
10. Blueberries

also, roasted pork skin
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 1

#4 4eva

• 426 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:46 AM

Minor issue of classification - I was under the impression that camu camu is a fruit and maca is an herb. I would switch those two as far the list they are on.

Mangostein is a fruit not an herb.

I like mesquite meal. It has something like 1270 mg of potassium per 100 grams besides other minerals and vitamins. It is also high in lysine; contains roughtly 17% protein. It can be used as a spice, a flour and a powder (in smoothies). It can be used raw but if baked the flavor intensifies.

Its sweet but doesn't contain sugar and the taste is pleasant. Its supposed to be good for your blood sugar because of its high fiber content. Some think that some hispanic and/or indian groups have higher incidence of diabetes and obesity because mesquite gets removed from their diet as they eat a more (refined) western diet.

The tree grows like a weed and doesn't need any pesticides or other chemicals to grow.

One day I'm going to have to try making mesquite pancakes (and maybe some other baked recipes).

I also like the flavor of acai which has good ORAC values.

I think Americans (and other people) might be better off if they incorporated more coconut products into their diet.

#5 imarobot

• 194 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:26 PM

Minor issue of classification - I was under the impression that camu camu is a fruit and maca is an herb. I would switch those two as far the list they are on.

Both are herbs in the loose definition of the word. But so is any supplement or drug derived from a plant. If you mean herb as in the medicinal use of leaves and/or twigs, neither is an herb. Maca is a tuber. Camu camu is a fruit.

#6 imarobot

• 194 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 12:56 AM

I can read better now. You already said camu is a fruit. ;)

Edited by imarobot, 07 March 2009 - 12:57 AM.

#7 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 12:28 PM

4. Bee Pollen

Did you mean Royal Jelly extract?

#8 3VeRL0ng

• Topic Starter
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

Did you mean Royal Jelly extract?

I did not. Here's the segment where it is mentioned (starts at 3:40).

#9 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 01:43 AM

1. Green Tea
2. Cacao
3. EPA and DHA
4. Broccoli
5. Spinach
6. Kale
7. Blueberries
8. Pumpkin Seeds
9. Beets
10. Extra Virgin Olive Oil

I just made my own superfood list because I didn't like that list much at all.

For vegans, Spirulina and Chlorella should probably be put on my list. Out of the algae, chlorella is probably better than the blue green version. Don't know much about hemp seeds.

Goji Berries, like acai and others, seem to be yet another polyphenol rich plant, yet I'm not sure the cost is justified, and I doubt it is grown sustainably.

Maca doesn't seem all that good, nor is it well studied. I never felt any of the supposed sexual benefits either.

Bee Pollen seems like another unproven supplement with dubious benefits. Ditto for Aloe.

Edited by progressive, 17 March 2009 - 01:46 AM.

#10 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:32 AM

There's nothing wrong with these lists, except that I think it's missing much better qualified, researched foods and herbs.

I started eating goji berries (a.k.a. wolf berries) about six years ago, but just as a light snack. I've paid attention to research on these ever since they were know to be extremely high in antioxidants. However, as I've said for years, antioxidants generally don't do much for us -- they're a giant red-herring. Most plant-based antioxidants are blocked from circulation in our blood or quickly dismantled by our toxic removal organ, the liver. These food-based antioxidants are generally seen an foreign intruders by our body and dealt with accordingly. And almost known can get past the blood-brain barrier. And finally, even the few that do get into our blood do not make it within our cells, where antioxidants are most needed due to the metabolically generated free-radicals of the mitochondria.

So, polyphenol antioxidants, on their own, should be viewed with a skeptical eye, in terms of delivering a health benefit.

So, until goji berries are shown to have uniquely beneficial antioxidant polyphenols in animals (and humans), they should not be considered especially healthful. Bee pollen (which can have highly variable polyphenol content relative to region and the flowers available) and honey is in the same boat. And how someone can claim that fructose loaded honey is the most beneficial of superfoods is quite mind-blowing.

For both of these lists, where are pomegranate, green tea, turmeric, blueberries, ginger, grape seed extract, resveratrol, cabbage, and broccoli?

Top 10 Superfoods:
1. Cacao (Higher antioxidant levels than blueberries and pomegranate!? Nawwww...)
2. Goji Berries (2nd best food for longevity, according to Mr. Wolfe of course. BTW he claims honey to be the first best.)
3. Maca (I actually first discovered this "superfood" through Wolfe)
4. Bee Pollen
5. Marine Phytoplankton (Seems to be a pretty good source of Omega-3 IMO. But I feel more comfortable now that I've switched back to taking Fish-Oil)
6. Aloe Vera
7. Spirulina
8. Blue Green Algae
9. Chlorella
10. Hemp Seed
And...
Top 10 Herbs:
1. Mushrooms (Most notably the Medicinal Mushrooms: Reishi, Cordyceps, Maitake, etc.)
2. Ginseng (Actually I've finally just got around to ordering some Panax Ginseng and now am looking forward to incorporating it into my reg. if satisfied.)
3. Astragalus
4. Cat's Claw (Another one I had ordered & looking forward to trying.)
5. Camu Camu Berry (Highest source of Vitamin-C.)
6. Mangosteen Rind
7. Pau D' Arco
8. Tulsi aka Holy Basil
9. Ashwagandha
10. Garlic...
So out of boredom and restlessness, The Top 10 Superfoods & Herbs According to David Wolfe. Anything that anyone would replace on either list? or even add? Let's have fun with this, shall we?

• dislike x 3
  • like x 2

#11 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:38 PM

I wouldn't totally discount plant-based polyphenolics, what about pycnogenol, aka, pine-bark extract? Plenty of positive in vivo, human effects seen there:

Reduction of cardiovascular risk factors in subjects with type 2 diabetes by Pycnogenol supplementation.
Zibadi S, Rohdewald PJ, Park D, Watson RR.
Nutr Res. 2008 May;28(5):315-20.
PMID: 19083426

Improvement of seminal parameters with Prelox: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over trial.
Stanislavov R, Nikolova V, Rohdewald P.
Phytother Res. 2009 Mar;23(3):297-302.
PMID: 19142978
(Note: Prelox is pycnogenol and L-arginine)

Variations in C-reactive protein, plasma free radicals and fibrinogen values in patients with osteoarthritis treated with Pycnogenol.
Belcaro G, Cesarone MR, Errichi S, Zulli C, Errichi BM, Vinciguerra G, Ledda A, Di Renzo A, Stuard S, Dugall M, Pellegrini L, Gizzi G, Ippolito E, Ricci A, Cacchio M, Cipollone G, Ruffini I, Fano F, Hosoi M, Rohdewald P.
Redox Rep. 2008;13(6):271-6.
PMID: 19017467

An examination of the effects of the antioxidant Pycnogenol on cognitive performance, serum lipid profile, endocrinological and oxidative stress biomarkers in an elderly population.
Ryan J, Croft K, Mori T, Wesnes K, Spong J, Downey L, Kure C, Lloyd J, Stough C.
J Psychopharmacol. 2008 Jul;22(5):553-62.
PMID: 18701642

Effect of pine bark extract (Pycnogenol) on symptoms of knee osteoarthritis.
Cisár P, Jány R, Waczulíková I, Sumegová K, Muchová J, Vojtassák J, Duraćková Z, Lisý M, Rohdewald P.
Phytother Res. 2008 Aug;22(8):1087-92.
PMID: 18570266

French maritime pine bark extract significantly lowers the requirement for analgesic medication in dysmenorrhea: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study.
Suzuki N, Uebaba K, Kohama T, Moniwa N, Kanayama N, Koike K.
J Reprod Med. 2008 May;53(5):338-46.
PMID: 18567279

Treatment of osteoarthritis with Pycnogenol. The SVOS (San Valentino Osteo-arthrosis Study). Evaluation of signs, symptoms, physical performance and vascular aspects.
Belcaro G, Cesarone MR, Errichi S, Zulli C, Errichi BM, Vinciguerra G, Ledda A, Di Renzo A, Stuard S, Dugall M, Pellegrini L, Errichi S, Gizzi G, Ippolito E, Ricci A, Cacchio M, Cipollone G, Ruffini I, Fano F, Hosoi M, Rohdewald P.
Phytother Res. 2008 Apr;22(4):518-23.
PMID: 18386255

Pycnogenol, French maritime pine bark extract, augments endothelium-dependent vasodilation in humans.
Nishioka K, Hidaka T, Nakamura S, Umemura T, Jitsuiki D, Soga J, Goto C, Chayama K, Yoshizumi M, Higashi Y.
Hypertens Res. 2007 Sep;30(9):775-80.
PMID: 18037769

#12 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:40 AM

I wouldn't totally discount plant-based polyphenolics, what about pycnogenol, aka, pine-bark extract? Plenty of positive in vivo, human effects seen there:

Nobody is saying that polyphenols have no positive effects. The main criticism against goji berries and other exotic berries like acai is that blueberries are just as potent sources of polyphenols, and even better studied. Blueberries, cocoa, pomegranate, and other more common sources give you much more bang for your buck.

I don't know much about pycnogenol, but obviously if the studies support it then one should weigh the cost/benefit accordingly. I don't have enough time to research the quality of these studies, so I cannot say.

#13 Adistar

• 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:39 AM

Nobody is saying that polyphenols have no positive effects. The main criticism against goji berries and other exotic berries like acai is that blueberries are just as potent sources of polyphenols, and even better studied. Blueberries, cocoa, pomegranate, and other more common sources give you much more bang for your buck.

I don't know much about pycnogenol, but obviously if the studies support it then one should weigh the cost/benefit accordingly. I don't have enough time to research the quality of these studies, so I cannot say.

Fruits like Goji berries in China are only consumed in very small quantities (about a tsp in traditional Chinese medicine cocktails that I've used) and not indefinitely. It is believed to restore the yin energy and thus are actually contraindicated for those who have too much of it. I'm not well-versed in Chinese medicine and maybe someone else can fill in on this. There is no doubt that it is a very nutritious berry but it probably has other effects on the hormonal/endocrine system that are not well studied by western medicine yet.

Edited by Adistar, 26 March 2009 - 06:42 AM.

#14 Ioana

• 7 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

okay, a bit behind the times, but...

I like mesquite meal. It has something like 1270 mg of potassium per 100 grams besides other minerals and vitamins. It is also high in lysine; contains roughtly 17% protein. It can be used as a spice, a flour and a powder (in smoothies). It can be used raw but if baked the flavor intensifies.

Its sweet but doesn't contain sugar and the taste is pleasant. Its supposed to be good for your blood sugar because of its high fiber content. Some think that some hispanic and/or indian groups have higher incidence of diabetes and obesity because mesquite gets removed from their diet as they eat a more (refined) western diet.

The tree grows like a weed and doesn't need any pesticides or other chemicals to grow.

After reading this post I looked up mesquite and was terribly enthusiastic to give it a try, but I had a hard time finding it. Is this some weird esoteric health food that would be very difficult to find in person except for by blunder? I had given Toronto's Kensington Market a try (I went to about 4 dry-goods stores, and a health food/organics store, one of which was Mexican, who didn't even know what I was talking about). I am beginning to suspect that I might have to order it online. Is it really that unusual a food? Just wondering if anyone else has had the same trouble finding such a thing. I think I will have to renew the search as I am still enthusiastic to try it.

#15 jessicantique

• 104 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

i live in hong kong for quite some time, from what i know, people here seldom take goji in the dry form (i don't dare do that except they are organic, anything from china cannot eat raw, my opinion)

chinese or TCM formulas use goji to make tea or soup with other herbs. it's difficult to understand how it actually works in TCM theory since they are not fully scientically backed. it's more of thousands of years trials and experiences. i always heard of people from the chines community that making tea/soup with goji and Chrysanthemum, benefits to liver, eyes, tiredness, sleep deprivation...

http://alternativehe...g.org/qi_zi.htm

#16 stayin_alive

• 84 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 02:25 AM

i live in hong kong for quite some time, from what i know, people here seldom take goji in the dry form (i don't dare do that except they are organic, anything from china cannot eat raw, my opinion)

chinese or TCM formulas use goji to make tea or soup with other herbs. it's difficult to understand how it actually works in TCM theory since they are not fully scientically backed. it's more of thousands of years trials and experiences. i always heard of people from the chines community that making tea/soup with goji and Chrysanthemum, benefits to liver, eyes, tiredness, sleep deprivation...

http://alternativehe...g.org/qi_zi.htm

My niece is from China. She always has a pot of hot water with Chrysanthemum in it. That's all the tea she and her family drink.

#17 psy333che

• 55 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:13 PM

I have a question and wanted feedback from whomever would like to answer. I love this topic because I can see what all of you add in your diet and feel somewhat vilified by my habits
I am horticulturist and grow most of my own food which blueberries,blackberries,strawberries grapes etc. along with tons of veggies like carrots beets,asparagus,spinach and many lettuces
I also have been of the belief that you should eat the food like fruit,etc that grows around where you live because that plant would be more adaptive to our systems. I have eaten Gogi berries dried and really liked them and also used Acai for a while a few years ago for about two years without any real great benefit
I have been a health nut for so many years that I almost feel some of these newer ones are more novel and a nice change from the usual and are not as different in benefits as blueberries, blackberries and grapes and actually just more expensive.
I personally like having control over what I put in my body and growing most of my food,along with herbs guarantees freshness. There is nothing as sweet as eating asparagus raw right off the plant
I use local raw fresh honey and also use all the algae supplements along with many of the supplements listed and of course vitamins just in case
I was buying Acai by the case a few years ago and actually felt no difference then eating all my fresh fruit so I stopped spending a fortune each month on it
I am on the go so much that I actually live on protein drinks made mainly with algae and fruit for two meals of each day
I then eat small meals like nuts veggies and yogurt
I am certainly not a total puritan all of the time and enjoy a meal with family and friends that are basically around a meat dish. I just cannot do anything after it because it immobilizes me. I do find that I do not enjoy it as much as I use to
I was hoping to get some feedback and also some others views on this

#18 aldebaran

• 44 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

progressive wrote:

Nobody is saying that polyphenols have no positive effects.

DukeNukem is saying this. See above.

#19 GoodFellas

• 721 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

This is very interesting. However, how can we apply this information to our daily lives? Wouldn't taking capsules of the food be a lot more convenient than eating the food everyday?

Here's the superfood I'm thinking of taking as capsules:

-Goji Berries
-Acai Berries
-MACA
-Bee Pollen (need to find a decent vendor for this one)

-Aloe Vera
-Spirulina
-Cat's Claw (what's the benefits form this one btw?)
-Astragalus

-Garlic (testosterone booster and important anti-aging supp)
-Mangosteen (provides Gamma-mangostin, a xanthone, and flavonoids and tannins)
-Pau D' Arco
-Holy Basil (stress reducer and glucose level reducer)

Edited by GoodFellas, 02 August 2009 - 05:11 PM.

#20 GoodFellas

• 721 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

Bumping this one a bit;D

#21 GoodFellas

• 721 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:21 AM

This is very interesting. However, how can we apply this information to our daily lives? Wouldn't taking capsules of the food be a lot more convenient than eating the food everyday?

Here's the superfood I'm thinking of taking as capsules:

-Goji Berries
-Acai Berries
-MACA
-Bee Pollen (need to find a decent vendor for this one)

-Aloe Vera
-Spirulina
-Cat's Claw (what's the benefits form this one btw?)
-Astragalus

-Garlic (testosterone booster and important anti-aging supp)
-Mangosteen (provides Gamma-mangostin, a xanthone, and flavonoids and tannins)
-Pau D' Arco
-Holy Basil (stress reducer and glucose level reducer)

Any thoughts about this?

#22 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

DukeNukem,
what about the other beneficial components of goji berries such as polysaccharides and plant sterols?

#23 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:31 AM

This is a very interesting topic, so I decided to give it a bump.

My favourite "superfoods" in terms of cost/benefit ratio are:

-Kiwifruit (very high in vitamin C and K, a decent source of other vitamins, plus chlorophyll and carotenoids)
-Pink salmon meat (contains astaxanthin)
-Broccoli (sulforaphane, folate, indoles, vitamin K etc. etc.)
-Garlic
-Onion
-Cacao
-Green tea
-bilberries
-extra virgin olive oil
-natto
-eggs
-condenced tomato paste
-apples

#24 panhedonic

• 388 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

bump --- great thread, a bit inconclusive, though. Maybe there is other, more definitive or thorough thread about super-foods or herb mixes?

thanks for sharing.

#25 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

I'd add Apple Cider Vinegar to the superfoods list.

#26 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Explain?

#27 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Explain?

The acetic acid in vinegar diminishes the postprandial blood sugar spike and therefore assists in glucose control.

#28 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:48 AM

Explain?

The acetic acid in vinegar diminishes the postprandial blood sugar spike and therefore assists in glucose control.

Can you please provide a reference?

#29 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

Here are a couple plus a Google Scholar search:

http://missclasses.c...egar/643301.pdf
http://www.nature.co...s/1602197a.html
http://scholar.googl...andial&ie=UTF-8
  • like x 1

#30 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:12 AM

Here are a couple plus a Google Scholar search:

http://missclasses.c...egar/643301.pdf
http://www.nature.co...s/1602197a.html
http://scholar.googl...andial&ie=UTF-8

Interesting. Good thing i've been consuming 2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar a day for the last 2 months.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users