5'11"
80kg
Resting HR: 60-65 bpm
Blood Pressure: 120/80
I live in Vancouver, Canada

Morning
Rhodiola Rosea (3% Rosavins, 1% Salidrosides) -- 700mg
Fish Oil (DHA:EPA = 550mg/50mg + 6IU of mixed tocopherols) -- 2g
Taurine --850mg (for energy, might not take it all the time)
Grape Seed and Green Tea Extract
Milk Thistle -- 250mg
Kyolic AGE - 600mg with 380mg of lecithin
Piracetam - I don't take it with Choline, I find I don't need it
Lecithin
Gluc/MSM -- 500mg/1000mg
Vitamin D3 -- 6000IU
Vitamin A -- 10,000IU
Vitamin K2 (MK-7) -- 100mcg
Niacin -- 250mg (I feel a flush)

Evening
L-Taurine - 750mg
Creatine Ethyl Ester -- 2g
Vitamin C (time-released) -- 1g
Fish Oil -- 1g
Magnesium -- 250mg
Vitamin E mixed tocopherols -- 300mg of gamma (3x a week)

When I eat carbohydrates I consume these:

Benfotiamine -- 150mg
Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate -- 50 mg

Sleep Stack (I take these 3x per week)
L-Theanine -- 100mg
Ashwaganda -- 450mg
Bacopa --450mg
Melatonin -- 3mg

Diet
I consume a paleo diet, keeping it low-carb most of the time. Carbohydrate intake usually below 30-50g per day. I consume a high-fat diet consisting of coconut oil, coconut milk, organic butter, hard cheese, organic ghee, nuts, and meat, fish, etc. I stay away from all grains/legumes (except occasional rice), sugar, and vegetable oils, and most processed food.

I fast 3 times per week for 24 hours and work-out on fasted days. I end the fasted days with a work-out and take in some carbohydrates in the form of sweet potatoes or yams to replete glycogen stores.

Post-workout
Whey Protein w/ Leucine
Sweet Potato
Creatine Ethyl Ester --3.5g

My Lipid Profile/Fasting Glucose/Vitamin D
As of March 18th 2009
Fasting Glucose 77
Cholesterol 217
HDL 64
LDL 142 (calculated)
Triglycerides 55

As of March 13th 2009
Vitamin D 46 ng/mL

My goals are to prevent disease, performance, and longevity. Mainly longevity!

Please Critique! Thanks.
  • like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

Time to update my regimen

On fasting days (twice a week)
Resveratrol 300mg 98%
Curcumin 665 mg
Lithium Orotate 4.9mg

Non-Fasting Days
My Custom Multi-Vitamin (credit to Funk)
Jarrow Formulas, FamilE
Source Naturals, Coenzymate B Complex
Source Naturals, Life Minerals, No Iron
Jarrow Formulas, CarotenALL, Mixed Carotenoid Complex
Source Naturals, C-1000
Natural Factors, RxOmega-3 Factors Pharmaceutical Grade
Vitamin D3 -- 4000IU
Vitamin A -- 10,000IU
Vitamin K2 (MK-7) -- 100mcg every 3rd day
Vitamin K2 (MK-4) -- 15mg

Now Foods, EGCg Green Tea Extract 400 mg
Cycle: Bacopa, Ashwaghanda, Rhodiola (1 week for each)

Doctor's Best, Best Acetyl-L-Carnitine (588mg) 4 days on/3 days off
Kyolic AGE - 600mg with 380mg of lecithin
Piracetam
Niacin -- 250mg
L-Taurine - 750mg
Magnesium -- 250mg

When I eat carbohydrates I consume these:

Benfotiamine -- 150mg
Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate -- 50 mg

Melatonin (3mg time-released) in the morning 3 times a week

WishList
Naltrexone
ALT-711

Still researching
Deprenyl
Methylene Blue

Edited by Sillewater, 10 June 2009 - 10:31 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#3 EmbraceUnity

• 1,018 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:27 AM

Good job on the P5P. LEF presented a study which showed how Pyridoxal-5-phosphate is the king of the AGE breakers. Slightly better than Pyridoxamine, and way better than aminoguanidine.

http://www.lef.org/m...doxamine_02.htm

Do you know of any studies which support ALT-711's long term safety and efficacy? Do the results look as promising as the ones in the LEF study? You're young, so I don't see the need for anything too drastic or expensive, especially with such a good alternative in P5P... but it may be synergistic with ALT-711... who knows.

I'm very confused why you said Melatonin in the morning. I'm hoping you meant night.

From everything I know about Deprenyl, it is mainly for older folks.

Edited by progressive, 12 June 2009 - 09:36 AM.

• like x 1

#4 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:29 PM

Hi Sillewater,

How is the Lithium Orotate working out for you? Any side effects? I might try it.

#5 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:53 PM

Good job on the P5P. LEF presented a study which showed how Pyridoxal-5-phosphate is the king of the AGE breakers. Slightly better than Pyridoxamine, and way better than aminoguanidine.

http://www.lef.org/m...doxamine_02.htm

Do you know of any studies which support ALT-711's long term safety and efficacy? Do the results look as promising as the ones in the LEF study? You're young, so I don't see the need for anything too drastic or expensive, especially with such a good alternative in P5P... but it may be synergistic with ALT-711... who knows.

I'm very confused why you said Melatonin in the morning. I'm hoping you meant night.

From everything I know about Deprenyl, it is mainly for older folks.

Nope, haven't seen long-term studies, but I just want to try it out of curiosity.

Regarding the melatonin, I remember first trying it during the night for a couple of days, but I always ended up very groggy so I stopped it. I also remember being cautious about melatonin because of the reduced sperm count in men (I remember there being a discussion) and how it might also down-regulate your natural melatonin production.

So I decided to try it in the morning, and did a pubmed search and found this:

Influence of morning melatonin injections on the antigonadotrophic effects of afternoon melatonin administration in male and female hamsters.

Richardson BA, Vaughan MK, Brainard GC, Huerter JJ, de la Santos R, Reiter RJ.
Male and female hamsters were maintained on a long photoperiod (14L:10D) and were divided into the following groups: group 1, injected with vehicle at both 11.00 and 17.00 h; groups 2-5, injected with various doses of melatonin at 11.00 h (0, 100 micrograms, 500 micrograms, 1 mg) and 25 g of melatonin at 17.00 h. In males, a.m. vehicle p.m. melatonin treatments for 70 days led to atrophy of the testes and accessory sex organs and to a significant depression of both plasma LH and PRL titers. There was a graded inhibition of these actions of exogenous melatonin in animals receiving 100 micrograms, 500 micrograms or 1 mg a.m. injections of melatonin with 1 mg completely preventing the effects of p.m. melatonin. 80% of the female hamsters receiving daily p.m. injections of melatonin for 9 weeks became acyclic with significant decreases in uterine weight and increases in ovarian weight. All doses of melatonin given at 11.00 h suppressed the inhibitory actions of p.m. melatonin with the exception of vaginal cyclicity for which 500 micrograms or more was required to restore normal vaginal cyclicity in all animals. These results demonstrate that morning injections of melatonin can prevent the antigonadotropic effects of afternoon melatonin injections and provide support for the hypothesis that the paradoxical actions of melatonin may be related to the ability of the indole to regulate its own receptors.
PMID: 6791044 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

So maybe its safer to take in the morning. I'm only 21 and I would like children in the future ;)

But I guess you have to be careful because it does lower reaction time, which is something I've experienced:

Early morning melatonin administration impairs psychomotor vigilance.

Graw P, Werth E, Kräuchi K, Gutzwiller F, Cajochen C, Wirz-Justice A.
Centre for Chronobiology, Psychiatric University Clinic, Wilhelm Klein Strasse, 27, 4025 Basel, Switzerland. peter.graw@pukbasel.ch
The acute soporific effect of melatonin in humans has been demonstrated in a range of studies. How alertness and performance are changed after melatonin given in the morning is not yet known. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of nine healthy young men, melatonin was given at 0700 h under controlled conditions of a modified constant routine protocol lasting 56 h (2 days, 3 nights with sleep). A clear decrement in neurobehavioral functions as measured by the Psychomotor Vigilance Test lasted for 6 h after melatonin administration (particularly in the lapse domain and median of the reaction time) without any effect on a letter cancellation task. A subjective soporific effect was present but less pronounced. Thus, melatonin taken in the morning requires caution in situations where high attention is needed.
PMID: 11275293 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I kinda feel like I'm on a very mild high. Feels pretty good.

#6 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

Hi Sillewater,

How is the Lithium Orotate working out for you? Any side effects? I might try it.

I only take it once a week. I haven't noticed and side effects. I do notice that my minds a bit clearer thought. Is lithium supposed to have that effect?

#7 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:12 AM

Magnesium -- 250mg

Sillewater, a solid regimen, I have only two suggestions.

Piracetam uses up choline, you don't want to run short, have a plan B ready, and for plan B, consider that choline bitrate or lecithin aren't good enough for many people. 21 year olds have lots of reserve so I might be wrong and you could get away with it for years, I don't know.

Magnesium is a utility player, used almost everywhere, and stress uses up more. Probably 150 mg more would be enough insurance.

#8 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 01:00 PM

Hi Sillewater,

I only take it once a week. I haven't noticed and side effects. I do notice that my minds a bit clearer thought.
Is lithium supposed to have that effect?

Weird. I've never heard of anyone taking lithium orotate just once per week. Why???

Usually one takes 1 tab (4.9 mg) daily or sometimes up to 2 tabs (9.8 mg) daily.

— pycnogenol

#9 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:48 PM

Magnesium -- 250mg

Sillewater, a solid regimen, I have only two suggestions.

Piracetam uses up choline, you don't want to run short, have a plan B ready, and for plan B, consider that choline bitrate or lecithin aren't good enough for many people. 21 year olds have lots of reserve so I might be wrong and you could get away with it for years, I don't know.

Magnesium is a utility player, used almost everywhere, and stress uses up more. Probably 150 mg more would be enough insurance.

Thanks David, I plan on getting a choline source, but I'm wondering if the choline from eggs is enough. Usually I eat like 5 or 6 egg yolks a day.

There's 450mg of magnesium in my mineral complex, but thanks for the heads up.

#10 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:05 PM

Hi Sillewater,

I only take it once a week. I haven't noticed and side effects. I do notice that my minds a bit clearer thought.
Is lithium supposed to have that effect?

Weird. I've never heard of anyone taking lithium orotate just once per week. Why???

Usually one takes 1 tab (4.9 mg) daily or sometimes up to 2 tabs (9.8 mg) daily.

— pycnogenol

I take it once or twice per week. I'm only 21 and from what I've read, the younger you are the less you take, I think Zoolander had a recommendation. Maybe when I'm older like 30 or something, I'll increase it.

I take it for its autophagy properties only, so I take it on the days I fast. I find it gives me a zombie quality so I don't like taking it everyday.

I'm also thinking about adding trehalose to my fasting regimen. Seems to be good stuff.

#11 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 07:07 PM

Why 500mg? Gluc/MSM -- 500mg/1000mg
I've probably discussed this topic to death with Andre and others, but I still can't come up with a rationale for why anyone should use 500mg and not 1500mg of glucosamine sulphate.

Edited by kismet, 13 June 2009 - 07:07 PM.

#12 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

Thanks David, I plan on getting a choline source, but I'm wondering if the choline from eggs is enough. Usually I eat like 5 or 6 egg yolks a day.

Here is some good advice from hamishm00, consider it insurance, needed even if the odds are in your favor that the blood/brain barrier will be crossed.

However, I would honestly switch to a better source of Choline like CDP Choline if the budget permits, or even better Centrophenoxine. I would say take 300-500mg of CDP/Centro with you 1.6 gram piracetam dose.

#13 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:10 AM

I've probably discussed this topic to death with Andre and others, but I still can't come up with a rationale for why anyone should use 500mg and not 1500mg of glucosamine sulphate.

I don't know why 500mg, but I would like to keep the dose of glucosamine lower because I've read studies where it affects insulin.

Here is some good advice from hamishm00, consider it insurance, needed even if the odds are in your favor that the blood/brain barrier will be crossed.

However, I would honestly switch to a better source of Choline like CDP Choline if the budget permits, or even better Centrophenoxine. I would say take 300-500mg of CDP/Centro with you 1.6 gram piracetam dose.

Thanks, right now I am taking lecithin, but it seems i'll have to up the dose a bit.

#14 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

Hi Sillewater,

So what does this regimen of yours cost on a per month basis?

#15 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:02 PM

I don't know why 500mg, but I would like to keep the dose of glucosamine lower because I've read studies where it affects insulin.

Oh, the homeopathic approach. You should keep in mind that dilution decreases both effects and side-effects, considering that glucosamine effects are hardly distinguishable from placebo, I'd say that 500mg are a waste of money as serum levels probably need to reach a certain threshold for any effects to set in.

#16 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:49 AM

Oh, the homeopathic approach. You should keep in mind that dilution decreases both effects and side-effects, considering that glucosamine effects are hardly distinguishable from placebo, I'd say that 500mg are a waste of money as serum levels probably need to reach a certain threshold for any effects to set in.

My joints always crack especially the knees after sitting down for a long time or not moving. My shoulders would also crack when doing the hindu pushup. I thought Glucosamine would help, they no longer crack as much before, but I do not know whether the glucosamine did it, or it was the mobility drills I was performing, or it just went away by itself. After I finish off the bottle I'm going to stop taking it.

In the future, if I have joint problems what do you recommend?

#17 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:04 AM

Thanks, right now I am taking lecithin, but it seems i'll have to up the dose a bit.

Lecithin should be ok, but to maximise it's efficacy, take it with b5 - Pantothenic acid. This apparently helps with the blood brain barrier issues associated with lecithin consumption.

#18 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:28 PM

A proper diagnosis: finding out if there is any joint degeneration if you suspect this to be the cause (which it most often isn't re. idiopathic 'joint popping'). Personally I believe that weight-reduction and/or CR is the best course of action if you have pathological joint problems. I'm not really into the osteoarthritis literature anymore other than having read many/most of the glucosamine studies. I suppose that MSM is one of the more promising agents (i.e. worth researching and might have improved joint popping somewhat in contrast to super-low-dose glucosamine; just use glucosamine sulphate 1500mg and regularly check blood sugar levels & report back).

Edited by kismet, 16 June 2009 - 08:31 PM.

#19 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:12 AM

Hi Sillewater,

I would estimate at around 50 dollars per month. If not less, because the expensive supplements I only use on fasting days which is twice a week, and on fasting days I also don't consume vitamins. I also cycle my supplements.

#20 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:04 AM

A proper diagnosis: finding out if there is any joint degeneration if you suspect this to be the cause (which it most often isn't re. idiopathic 'joint popping'). Personally I believe that weight-reduction and/or CR is the best course of action if you have pathological joint problems. I'm not really into the osteoarthritis literature anymore other than having read many/most of the glucosamine studies. I suppose that MSM is one of the more promising agents (i.e. worth researching and might have improved joint popping somewhat in contrast to super-low-dose glucosamine; just use glucosamine sulphate 1500mg and regularly check blood sugar levels & report back).

My original plan was to take MSM. But I couldn't find one so that's why I took the low glucosamine dose pill, because I remember someone on the forum stating MSM works well (I think it might have been you).

#21 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:07 PM

Hi Sillewater,

I would estimate at around 50 dollars per month. If not less, because the expensive supplements I
only use on fasting days which is twice a week, and on fasting days I also don't consume vitamins.
I also cycle my supplements.

That's very reasonable. I'm probably at $75 a month, more or less. $100 tops. Some of the supplements
I take are only on an "as needed" basis and, yes, I too cycle some supplements and others I take on a daily
basis. I don't fast.

#22 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:38 PM

Lucky Americans, I'll pay twice that for half of your regimen.

Edited by kismet, 17 June 2009 - 06:38 PM.

#23 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 June 2009 - 07:15 PM

Lucky Americans, I'll pay twice that for half of your regimen.

I'm Canadian!

#24 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

Well, lucky North Americans then.

Edited by kismet, 18 June 2009 - 05:18 PM.

#25 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

Well, lucky North Americans then.

:)

I have been taking IP6 for awhile now, mainly to bind iron, but after seeing you comment in this thread, Vitamins and Supplements for Men, I did some more research, found a lot of good review articles, but here's one which was pretty comprehensive, http://www.rice-stud..._e/01/main2.htm.

Also looking at a lot of the studies done IP6 is pretty potent against cancer. Don't know why I've never heard of it for that use though.

Cancer inhibition by inositol hexaphosphate (IP6) and inositol: from laboratory to clinic.

Vucenik I, Shamsuddin AM.
Department of Medical and Research Technology, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA. ivucenik@umaryland.edu
Inositol hexaphosphate (IP6) is a naturally occurring polyphosphorylated carbohydrate that is present in substantial amounts in almost all plant and mammalian cells. It was recently recognized to possess multiple biological functions. A striking anticancer effect of IP6 was demonstrated in different experimental models. Inositol is also a natural constituent possessing moderate anticancer activity. The most consistent and best anticancer results were obtained from the combination of IP6 plus inositol. In addition to reducing cell proliferation, IP6 increases differentiation of malignant cells, often resulting in a reversion to normal phenotype. Exogenously administered IP6 is rapidly taken into the cells and dephosphorylated to lower-phosphate inositol phosphates, which further interfere with signal transduction pathways and cell cycle arrest. Enhanced immunity and antioxidant properties can also contribute to tumor cell destruction. However, the molecular mechanisms underlying this anticancer action are not fully understood. Because it is abundantly present in regular diet, efficiently absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract, and safe, IP6 holds great promise in our strategies for the prevention and treatment of cancer. IP6 plus inositol enhances the anticancer effect of conventional chemotherapy, controls cancer metastases, and improves the quality of life, as shown in a pilot clinical trial. The data strongly argue for the use of IP6 plus inositol in our strategies for cancer prevention and treatment. However, the effectiveness and safety of IP6 plus inositol at therapeutic doses needs to be determined in phase I and phase II clinical trials in humans.

So I will continue to take it on my fasting days to remove excess iron. In regards to CVD health, has there been any studies that looked at cardiovascular incidence instead of the lipid profile?

Kismet, how much do you take? I see recommendations for 1g-2g per day.

note: I am not taking it for anticancer benefits, because I am sort of suspicious about taking anticancer supplements when you don't have cancer. But IP6 is found in many of our cells naturally. But since I adhere to the paleo principle, where would we have gotten inositol before the agricultural revolution?

#26 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

Kismet, how much do you take? I see recommendations for 1g-2g per day.

That's the recommendation for total intake (diet+supplementation). I'd stick to 2g/d because I think we're limited by absorption.

note: I am not taking it for anticancer benefits, because I am sort of suspicious about taking anticancer supplements when you don't have cancer. But IP6 is found in many of our cells naturally. But since I adhere to the paleo principle, where would we have gotten inositol before the agricultural revolution?

Depends on whether it is "cancer/chemo-preventative" or slowing/killing actual cancer cells. When you get older you'll also appreciate the latter as sub-clinical cancer is astonishingly common in people >40yo. Which is the reason why benfotiamine is scarry, sure it will only increase growth of malignant cells, but they're not that uncommon...

I've been wondering how the efficacy of IP6 can be explained in paleo terms for some time, but I can't come up with a definite answer. First, I thought it may work only in rodents, but all the preliminary evidence suggests that IP6 works like a charm in humans. Maybe it's a remnant of early evolutionary adaptation or we're just lucky -- I mean what's the paleo rationale for aspirin or statins? Maybe it's just serendipity. After all it's structurally related to bisphosphonates/pyrophosphate.

Duke (also practising paleo and/or low carb) and MR have been taking IP6 for a while.

Edited by kismet, 25 June 2009 - 08:55 PM.

#27 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:09 AM

Kismet, how much [IP6] do you take? I see recommendations for 1g-2g per day.

... I'd stick to 2g/d because I think we're limited by absorption. ...

I've been wondering how the efficacy of IP6 can be explained in paleo terms for some time, but I can't come up with a definite answer. ...

Duke (also practising paleo and/or low carb) and MR have been taking IP6 for a while.

I thought in rats they have phytase to break down IP-6, that's why they don't become mineral deficient when eating whole grains and such. So if there's a benefit in rats, is it from the breakdown products of IP6?

Edited by Michael, 10 May 2011 - 06:44 PM.
Trim quotes

#28 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

I thought in rats they have phytase to break down IP-6, that's why they don't become mineral deficient when eating whole grains and such. So if there's a benefit in rats, is it from the breakdown products of IP6?

I don't know if rodents have phytase but the whole deficiency argument is absolute bullshit to begin with (paleo scare mongering).  :) 2g and more can be easily found in a balanced, mediterranean diet which is not known to promote deficiencies.

Whether they have phytase or not, they accumulate IP6 and it does not alter mineral balance other than a slight reduction of iron in the brain (that's perhaps a good thing) and calcium in the kidney and urine. See for instance: Grases et al. Dietary phytate and mineral bioavailability.

Other interesting tidbits:
”the minimum intake to obtain maximum absorption was calculated to be 1463mg [21mg/kg in Wistar rats] and was independent of the type of InsP6 salt consumed” 
“In fact, in all studies when InsP6 was supplied in low/moderate amounts together with a balanced mineral diet, no negative effects on mineral bioavailability were observed…high doses (6–8 g/day) and unbalanced mineral diets, …deficit in mineral absorption … detected in some cases“
Both from Grases et al. Dietary myo-inositol hexaphosphate prevents dystrophic calcifications in soft tissues: a pilot study in Wistar rats.
  • like x 1

#29 Sillewater

• Topic Starter
  • 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:23 AM

I don't know if rodents have phytase but the whole deficiency argument is absolute bullshit to begin with (paleo scare mongering).  :) 2g and more can be easily found in a balanced, mediterranean diet which is not known to promote deficiencies.

Whether they have phytase or not, they accumulate IP6 and it does not alter mineral balance other than a slight reduction of iron in the brain (that's perhaps a good thing) and calcium in the kidney and urine. See for instance: Grases et al. Dietary phytate and mineral bioavailability.

Other interesting tidbits:
”the minimum intake to obtain maximum absorption was calculated to be 1463mg [21mg/kg in Wistar rats] and was independent of the type of InsP6 salt consumed” 
“In fact, in all studies when InsP6 was supplied in low/moderate amounts together with a balanced mineral diet, no negative effects on mineral bioavailability were observed…high doses (6–8 g/day) and unbalanced mineral diets, …deficit in mineral absorption … detected in some cases“
Both from Grases et al. Dietary myo-inositol hexaphosphate prevents dystrophic calcifications in soft tissues: a pilot study in Wistar rats.

Well here's a study where they compared human intestines to rats:

Phytase activity in the human and rat small intestine.

Iqbal TH, Lewis KO, Cooper BT.
Gastroenterology Unit, Dudley Road Hospital, Birmingham.
Phytate is the major storage form of phosphorus in seeds and so is a common dietary constituent. Excessive ingestion of undegraded phytates can cause mineral deficiencies in humans. In addition, phytic acid is antineoplastic in animal models of both colon and breast carcinoma. There have been no previous studies quantifying phytase activity in the human small intestine although it is present in animals. Small intestinal phytase and alkaline phosphatase activity and distribution was measured in vitro in mucosal homogenates from two human small intestinal specimens obtained from transplant donors. Rat intestine was also studied for comparison. Phytase activity was found in human small intestine at low values (30 times less than that in rat tissue and 1000-fold lower than alkaline phosphatase in the same tissue). The activity was greatest in the duodenum and lowest in the ileum. In conclusion, the normal human small intestine has very limited ability to digest undegraded phytates. Although this may have adverse nutritional consequences with respect to metabolic cation imbalances, the presence of undigested phytate in the colon may protect against the development of colonic carcinoma.

So in rats they won't experience deficiencies because they have phytase that can break down the phytic acid.

Since humans have much lower levels, this could be why fiber prevents colon cancer, however I have read conflicting evidence, and I'm leaning towards fiber doesn't help at all (probably because of my paleo bias).

Also, diets for tooth decay were discussed at this blog Whole Health Source by Stephan, and apparently the diet with no grains worked the best (but I don't have access to the paper, so I don't know the sample size).

Images of Tooth Decay Healing due to an Improved Diet

Would teeth be a good indicator of mineral deficiencies?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#30 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

So in rats they won't experience deficiencies because they have phytase that can break down the phytic acid.

Humans do not experience deficiencies either as studies clearly demonstrate (and even if they did: we couldn't care less as we have access to supplements). It's pointless to base speculation on a faulty premise, but anyway...
It doesn't matter if rats have phytase or not, controlled trials trump mechanistic speculation and rats apparently do accumulate IP6 and it's derivatives but only if they consume a diet with enough IP6 (i.e. the phytase is apparently not inactivating the IP6 as your hypothesis would require; alternatively, IP6 is re-synthesised from the break-down products). I don't have time to find out right now why your speculation is wrong (and I'm not sure what it's meant to imply), even though I'm very interested in destroying this myth more thoroughly. I'll be back in some weeks.  :)

Since humans have much lower levels, this could be why fiber prevents colon cancer, however I have read conflicting evidence, and I'm leaning towards fiber doesn't help at all (probably because of my paleo bias).

Fiber = undigestible carbohydrate != IP6. Although, I suppose that fiber intake can be a marker of IP6 intake as they're found in similar foodstuffs.

Would teeth be a good indicator of mineral deficiencies?

Not necessarily as there are many variables involved (sugar, hygiene, pathogens, etc). I believe bones are a better indicator and there's evidence in favour of IP6 there.

Edited by kismet, 28 June 2009 - 12:24 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users