Photo
- - - - -

Exercise, Circadian Rhythm, When?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

Anyone have any opinions on the best time of the day to exercise based on any circadian rhythm data? I saw an interesting mice study that basically implied you should work out in the middle of the day when it's light out, rather than at dusk or dawn.

Any opinions/knowledgeable viewpoints?

regards,

pro

Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis and Voluntary Running Activity: Circadian and Dose-Dependent Effects
http://www.sfu.ca/ps...tions/JNR04.pdf

Edited by prophets, 01 April 2009 - 05:55 PM.

#2 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:36 PM

I don't have any data to confirm my own anecdotal experiences, but I find it best to exercise in the afternoon. Usually I am fully awake and have eaten several times. It is not so late that I am tired and it helps me wind down for the evening.

Morning exercise makes me feel terrible so I always avoid it when possible.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:57 AM

If you work out only once a day, it is best to work out at about the same time each day from the perspective of optimal performance / progression. Or so some studies have concluded.

Speaking for myself and without regard to circadian rhythm, I find I perform best early to late afternoon. In the morning, my body is tight and creaky and I don't seem to have much energy. If I exercise late in the evening, it interferes with sleep.

#4 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

I recently saw a study on TV (reported on PBS, I believe) indicating that exercising late afternoon/early evening will lower average resting blood pressure, whereas exercising in the morning won't. I think it was a small study that should be taken with a grain of salt, but it reminds me of a similar result that was found for aspirin - taking some in the evening will lower average resting blood pressure, whereas taking it in the morning won't.

#5 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:01 AM

Something that varies for me since my circadian rhythm is random. I often exercise in the middle of the night, I often exercise in the middle of the afternoon. I have apparently adapted to being able to exercise at whatever time of day/night is necessary.

#6 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:29 PM

Usually I run early morning outdoors (exercise + sunrise = very good stuff) on an empty stomach (or less than 200 calories), and weight train in the afternoon/evening where I've eaten some more food, like Skotkonung also have good experience with.
+12 years ago, before popping pills, when I dealt with sleep problems, a vigorous outdoor run in the early morning would often help alot with sleep IME.

#7 tunt01

• Topic Starter
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:34 PM

fyi. saw this article the other day

http://www.cnn.com/2.../exercise.time/

one of the experts cites, 2-4 pm as the optimal exercise time due to the rise in blood temperature. it is actually ideal for me, also.

#8 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 03:40 PM

There's a natural rise in cortisol in the morning, so coupled with a coffee or a lil'lollipop that really gets ya goin!
Nah, exercising in the afternoon is probably optimal for the body, at least anaerobic; I do like getting the boost and fresh air in the morning from cardio, it 'raises' the mood for the day, 9 out of 10 times. Plus, being exposed to bright light (also light therapy) in the early morning have (I think) strong effects on the serotonin system FWIW.

#9 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:57 AM

It is our general observation...

Thanks, but no thanks. Spam I figure.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:06 AM

Anyone have any opinions on the best time of the day to exercise based on any circadian rhythm data? I saw an interesting mice study that basically implied you should work out in the middle of the day when it's light out, rather than at dusk or dawn.

Any opinions/knowledgeable viewpoints?

regards,

pro

Adult Hippocampal Neurogenesis and Voluntary Running Activity: Circadian and Dose-Dependent Effects
http://www.sfu.ca/ps...tions/JNR04.pdf

I take my vitamins in the morning so I exercise several hours later (around 7:30 PM), and take antioxidants like Vitamin C on resting days (since I use time release).

However, a doctor on television said you shouldn't exercise right before going to bed, so exercising in the afternoon is likely best especially after you have eaten your daily meals.

Edited by Dmitri, 16 June 2009 - 08:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users