Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

modifying the blood brain barrier to create longevity

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 07:59 PM

Scientific American has an article on 2dg deoxyglucose The author researchers title the article The Serious Search for an Anti-Aging Pill The article is avialable to people that get scientific american http://www.sciam.com...e...2-08&page=2

One of the researchers has a pubmed item that says 2DG lowered plasma insulin and body temperature in a manner analagous to that of CR. Thus, metabolic effects that mediate the CR mechanism can be attained pharmacologically. Doses were titrated to eliminate toxicity; a long-term longevity study is now under way. In addition, data from other laboratories suggest that at least some of the same physiological/metabolic end points that are associated with the beneficial effects of underfeeding may be obtained from other potential CR mimetic agents, some naturally occurring in food products. Much work remains to be done, but taken together, our successful results with CR in primates and 2DG administration to rats suggest that it may indeed be possible to obtain the health- and longevity-promoting effects of the former intervention without actually decreasing food intake

Reading the actual article as I did awhile ago It is kind of a proof of concept deoxyglucose works yet has a narrow dosage range

Here is a way to get just the right amount of deoxyglucose to the brain

Use adenovirus to transfect endothilial blood brain barrier cytes with the DNA to make a deoxygenase enzyme on the glucose they transport to the brain
The brain uses the deoxyglucose which causes CR mimic effects which may be youthful brain tissue

use multiple passes of adenovirus to gradually ncrease the amount of deoxyglucose that goes to the brain thus giving the most effective dosage; this is kind of like turning the blood brain barrier to a liver; it may well be that using a virus to have capilliary cytes make enzymes that do longevity chemistry on blood creates a new kind of organ Noting that the skin is the largest organ yet ndothelial capillaries occur almost between every two or three cytes people have many kilograms more capillary cytes that hepatocytes; modified capillaries could do a huge amount of beneficial chemistry

Further: the brain uses much of the body's glucose at any particular time thus blood brain barrier cytes will have a very visible glucose metabolite profile compared with the rest of the capillaries on the rest of the body; theoretically an adenovirus that is structured to be highly active at high lactic acid concentrations will be highly active at the brains blood brain barrier capillaries which have a strongly different chemical aspect at the plasma

There are many more effective methods to switch on adenovirus yet I remembered that the lac operon is a chemical switch promoter http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Lac_operon that operates on the presence of lactose Modified adenovirus that get peppy at blood brain barrier concentrations of lactic acid remind me of the utility of sensing lactose

anyway you get more youthspan from your brain

One thing of note is the effectiveness of gene therapy, some gene therapies like a muscle transfection protocol I read about are 70 pt effective Others have different effectiveness; I find it plausible that the blood brain barrier has long lived cytes which favors accumulation of the transfected enzyme activity basically: GI tract transfection might be days, Brain transfection much longer

Now that you know a way to reprogram the blood filters of the brain to modify a sugar the opportunity to make glycation repair enzyme appears modifying the blood brain barrier is a way to keep AGE (glycation) n RAGE (reactive glycation) out of the brain

Edited by treonsverdery, 19 April 2009 - 08:09 PM.

#2 treonsverdery

• Topic Starter
  • 1,312 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

It would be nifty to see if yeast live longer on a deoxyglucose medium

another nifty thing would be to see if different isomers of deoxy glucose have different effects 2 deoxy glucose is different from various other versions

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users