Photo
- - - - -

My variation of the Paleo Diet

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 09:11 PM

I wanted to TRY the Paleo diet without commiting to eating land animals, so here is my Paleo Variant model. I don't know I still feel like I can add some more calories. If you have any suggestions as to anything Paleo that is NOT a land animal, please give it. Here is a sampling of what I ate today.

Morning, before workout I had a medium sized bowl of walnuts, almonds, blueberries, rasberries and blackberries.

Then I had my 'morning protein meal' which consisted of 4 hardboiled eggs in a bowl and two servings of pink salmon, this comes out to about 55 low carb grams of protein. I added a little hummus and chopped tomato on top to make it interesting.

After my workout I had 3 handfuls of raw pumpkin seeds, a shake consisting of whey protein, and a tablespoon of almond butter.

For lunch I had a bowl of asparagus and carrots with another protein shake, consisting of the exact same thing as earlier.

For dinner I had an eggwhite omlet and a medium salad on the side consisting of spinach, tomatoes, red cabbage, olives and olive oil with balsamic vinegar as a dressing. after dinner I had another 3 handfuls of pumpin seeds and a huge handful of almonds with a tablespoon of olive oil. Now I am sitting here waiting for my body to adapt to this conceivably ketogenic diet.

So, how do you rate it on a paleo/ketogenic scale of 1-10?
is it ketogenic even? What can I add?

Edited by TheFountain, 03 May 2009 - 09:14 PM.

#2 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

What are you trying to achieve?

Paleo and Ketogenic are two different things. If i'm correct, a Paleo diet seeks to mimic the diet of a human pre-Agriculture, and a Ketogenic diet seeks to replace glucose with ketone bodies as an energy-source.

Overall though, I see no problems with your diet. Seems rather perfect, really.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:32 AM

You could work in some saturated fat.

Add some butter/cheese(if you like it)/sour cream/virgin coconut oil/coconut milk etc.

Cheese and Butter are not strictly paleolithic, but it's fine if you can tolerate them.

#4 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:32 AM

I suspect you probably have enough carbs to stay out of ketosis. Personally, I don't eat that many egg yolks in a day. Cholesterol is not my concern but arachidonic acid is. I might cut that in half to two eggs and substitute half an avocado or so. But it looks pretty good overall. That's about all I generally eat in the way of animal flesh, too, just about 45g of salmon for dinner.

Aside from slightly higher AGE content, does anyone know if hardboiled egg yolks are less healthy than softboiled?

#5 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:37 AM

Add some butter/cheese(if you like it)/sour cream/virgin coconut oil/coconut milk etc.

Cheese and Butter are not strictly paleolithic, but it's fine if you can tolerate them.

I just noticed that. Is there some reason you're avoiding saturated fat? It looks like you eat almost none. I enjoy mine from coconut oil, coconut milk, cacao butter, half and half, goat kefir, and red palm oil.

Edited by CobaltThoriumG, 04 May 2009 - 12:38 AM.

#6 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 04:31 AM

I think your diet looks good, but it won't get you into a ketogenic state. The amount of carbs required for ketosis varies per person, but most people find they need to eat under 30g daily to register on ketostix or get the "keto breath." Your salad probably has at least that much, if not much more. Anyways, I don't see any need for you to go into a keto state or live on a keto diet unless you are looking for fat loss or have epilepsy.

Out of curiosity, you should create that days worth of food on FitDay.com to see the macros.

How do you feel about trying other types of fish or shellfish?

How long will you be trying this diet? What are your expectations?

#7 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:49 AM

What are you trying to achieve?

Optimal health markers, low body fat and a high anti-glycation index.

#8 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:53 AM

Well my previous diet consisted of higher milk-fat intake. But I decided the AGEs content of all milk products was too much, and that the only dairy worth consuming from an anti-glycation standpoint were eggs. Specifically hardboiled and sometimes an Omlet made on low heat. I have asked around about the AGEs content of greek yogurt, as I would like to at least have stuck with that, but any answers have not been forthcoming and google shows no results for 'AGE content of greek yogurt'.

#9 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 11:56 AM

I suspect you probably have enough carbs to stay out of ketosis. Personally, I don't eat that many egg yolks in a day. Cholesterol is not my concern but arachidonic acid is. I might cut that in half to two eggs and substitute half an avocado or so. But it looks pretty good overall. That's about all I generally eat in the way of animal flesh, too, just about 45g of salmon for dinner.

Aside from slightly higher AGE content, does anyone know if hardboiled egg yolks are less healthy than softboiled?

So those seeking to enter ketosis should stay away from too many vegetables? It is my understanding that tha AGEs content of hardboiled eggs is still way lower than that of pasteurized milk products.

#10 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

I just noticed that. Is there some reason you're avoiding saturated fat? It looks like you eat almost none. I enjoy mine from coconut oil, coconut milk, cacao butter, half and half, goat kefir, and red palm oil.

Pumpkin seeds contain a good amount of good fat and some saturated fat, as do the nuts I eat. I add two or three tablespoons of Olive oil a day also. That is not alot of fat? Let me break it down. My egg consumption takes me to about 20 grams of fat, my seeds and nuts consumption bumps that up to around 35-40 grams of fat. The added olive oil takes it to about 70 grams of fat a day. I would estimate about 30% of that is saturated fat. How is that not a lot?

Edit: I forgot to add the almond butter. That brings it up to 85 grams of fat a day. Making the saturated fat intake 35%.

Edited by TheFountain, 04 May 2009 - 12:18 PM.

#11 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

I think your diet looks good, but it won't get you into a ketogenic state. The amount of carbs required for ketosis varies per person, but most people find they need to eat under 30g daily to register on ketostix or get the "keto breath." Your salad probably has at least that much, if not much more. Anyways, I don't see any need for you to go into a keto state or live on a keto diet unless you are looking for fat loss or have epilepsy.

Out of curiosity, you should create that days worth of food on FitDay.com to see the macros.

How do you feel about trying other types of fish or shellfish?

How long will you be trying this diet? What are your expectations?

Well my body fat is approximately 9% at this time. I was hoping to maybe take it down another percentage point or two just to see how I felt. My expectations and goals with this diet are low AGEs content (along with my supp regimen), actually this is my MAIN goal here with this diet, as well as perhaps lowering my body fat percentage by another point, perhaps gaining energy once I am out of the adaptation phase. How it relates to my work outs I expect to gain a slight bit more definition in my muscles because of the complete elimination of grain products, according to some peoples suggestions. I want to see if this style of diet truly yields the results some claim it does. Furthermore I wanted to 'do it right' so to speak instead of just being on a low carb diet that still had 'unnatural' food products in it, such as bread and pasta. The other thing, and this is just an added bonus perhaps, is that this diet is high in certain amino acids like Lysine And Proline which in time can help thwart the breakdown of the extra-cellular matrix which can at least be good in terms of appearance (provided one also supplements with C vitamin and B vitamins). just out of curiosity though, what sort of diet would be required for full-blown ketosis? Fewer vegetables? More high fat foods?

Edited by TheFountain, 04 May 2009 - 12:09 PM.

#12 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

Assuming the AGE data from the table that's been posted here is for pasteurized milk, which I think is a safe assumption, it is not high in AGE. I think yogurt is also low in AGE. But they both contain lactose, which probably is as bad, because like fructose, the galactose it breaks down to promotes glycation. This said, I'm still using 4 ounces of organic half and half and 2 ounces goat kefir per day for now. This is a balance I can live with.

#13 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

just out of curiosity though, what sort of diet would be required for full-blown ketosis? Fewer vegetables? More high fat foods?

A sample keto diet would look something like this:

16tbsp of heavy whipping cream
8oz ground beef
4 hard boiled eggs
2 tbsp of olive oil
3 sticks of string cheese
9 oz of spinach
100g of zero carb whey protein (taken in two servings of 50g)

This equates to about 63% fat, 34% protein, 3% carbs. Total calories are 2600~ at roughly 25g of carbs. Not exactly a longevity diet :) but a potent fat burner.

#14 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

just out of curiosity though, what sort of diet would be required for full-blown ketosis? Fewer vegetables? More high fat foods?

A sample keto diet would look something like this:

16tbsp of heavy whipping cream
8oz ground beef
4 hard boiled eggs
2 tbsp of olive oil
3 sticks of string cheese
9 oz of spinach
100g of zero carb whey protein (taken in two servings of 50g)

This equates to about 63% fat, 34% protein, 3% carbs. Total calories are 2600~ at roughly 25g of carbs. Not exactly a longevity diet :) but a potent fat burner.

I imagine this would be the type of diet that would need to be cycled. No one could sustain such a diet indefinitely. But then it could be right for some peoples genetics. But I guess I am referring to the median average type person when speaking of those who would need to cycle it.

Edited by TheFountain, 05 May 2009 - 02:18 PM.

#15 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 02:22 PM

Assuming the AGE data from the table that's been posted here is for pasteurized milk, which I think is a safe assumption, it is not high in AGE. I think yogurt is also low in AGE. But they both contain lactose, which probably is as bad, because like fructose, the galactose it breaks down to promotes glycation. This said, I'm still using 4 ounces of organic half and half and 2 ounces goat kefir per day for now. This is a balance I can live with.

Are there studies showing that galactose definitely leads to higher circulating AGEs in the human blood/body? Also where is this AGEs table? I must have missed it.

Edited by TheFountain, 05 May 2009 - 02:52 PM.

#16 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:31 PM

Are there studies showing that galactose definitely leads to higher circulating AGEs in the human blood/body? Also where is this AGEs table? I must have missed it.

The table: http://andersonclan....umeric_list.htm

Advanced glycation in D-galactose induced mouse aging model: http://grande.nal.us...p;therow=331061

#17 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

The table: http://andersonclan....umeric_list.htm

Advanced glycation in D-galactose induced mouse aging model: http://grande.nal.us...p;therow=331061

The abstracts states the following:
'The results show that D-galactose, L-glucose, and AGE-lysine treated mice had a significant increase in serum AGE levels, memory latency time and error rate, and skin hydroxyproline content.'

Hydroxyproline content should mean Collagen formation and repair. I don't get how it relates to Advanced glycation end products. It also seems that Lysine was thrown in for the heck of it. There is no stated connection between why they used it and the end outcome. Care to enlighten me?

#18 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

I forgot to add that the blueberries and rasberries I am eating are from frozen bags. Is this a potential fructose problem? The ingredients merely say 'rasberries/blueberries'. And I sure as heck cannot afford to eat fresh blueberries and rasberries everyday in these quantities. Let alone even thee times a week.

#19 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

I imagine this would be the type of diet that would need to be cycled. No one could sustain such a diet indefinitely. But then it could be right for some peoples genetics. But I guess I am referring to the median average type person when speaking of those who would need to cycle it.

Theoretically just about everyone should be able to live on a keto diet for an indefinite amount of time. If you are eating a lot of organ meats and on a multivitamin, you probably wouldn't have issues with nutritional deficiencies. Though, in regards to longevity, I don't think ketosis is a winner. This study says ketosis could elevate oxidative stress levels. This doesn't stop many cultures from living in ketosis for part if not the majority of the year - like the inuit. On the flip side, I found a study that indicates ketosis boosts chaperone-mediated autophagy and therefor could have some antiaging properties. Ketosis also apparently upregualtes the efficiency of the heart and other organs, similar to CR. Dr Eades says that CMA can be had by adhering to a low carbohydrate diet and that full blown ketosis is not necessary.

Dr Eades also did a solid write-up on ketosis and the metabolism. I think he was right in his assertion that ketosis functions best in times of starvation or limited carbohydrate supply, but is not something we should strive to be in constantly.

In my own experience, I tried a cyclical ketogenic diet and while it worked well for contest preperation, I felt absolutely terrible for the first two weeks (induction) and generally lethargic for the rest. Not to mention the strong, almost pathological need for anything carbohydrate. Ketosis is a commonly used blueprint for a diet (Anabolic Diet, Palumbo Diet, TKD) because it is uniquely protein sparing and tends to boost the sex hormones like testosterone and growth hormone.

Edited by Skotkonung, 05 May 2009 - 06:07 PM.

#20 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

I forgot to add that the blueberries and rasberries I am eating are from frozen bags. Is this a potential fructose problem? The ingredients merely say 'rasberries/blueberries'. And I sure as heck cannot afford to eat fresh blueberries and rasberries everyday in these quantities. Let alone even thee times a week.

I don't think fructose will be an issue, unless you are eating a whole bag a day. There was another thread discussing the benefits of frozen berries and whether they lost any of their nutritional value during the packaging process.

#21 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

Theoretically just about everyone should be able to live on a keto diet for an indefinite amount of time. If you are eating a lot of organ meats and on a multivitamin, you probably wouldn't have issues with nutritional deficiencies. Though, in regards to longevity, I don't think ketosis is a winner. This study says ketosis could elevate oxidative stress levels. This doesn't stop many cultures from living in ketosis for part if not the majority of the year - like the inuit. On the flip side, I found a study that indicates ketosis boosts chaperone-mediated autophagy and therefor could have some antiaging properties. Ketosis also apparently upregualtes the efficiency of the heart and other organs, similar to CR. Dr Eades says that CMA can be had by adhering to a low carbohydrate diet and that full blown ketosis is not necessary.

Dr Eades also did a solid write-up on ketosis and the metabolism. I think he was right in his assertion that ketosis functions best in times of starvation or limited carbohydrate supply, but is not something we should strive to be in constantly.

In my own experience, I tried a cyclical ketogenic diet and while it worked well for contest preperation, I felt absolutely terrible for the first two weeks (induction) and generally lethargic for the rest. Not to mention the strong, almost pathological need for anything carbohydrate. Ketosis is a commonly used blueprint for a diet (Anabolic Diet, Palumbo Diet, TKD) because it is uniquely protein sparing and tends to boost the sex hormones like testosterone and growth hormone.

Well that's exactly what I meant when I said it couldn't be maintained. I honestly can't see someone surviving 50+ straight years on this type of diet unless their anti-oxidant intake is very high. I can see how ketosis would be good in an energy economy setting where you are forced to fast for greater periods of time and survive on fatty acids. In fact from the looks of it that is probably the very origin of this type of diet. I am assuming that induction phases apply to all low-carb diets, even my variation of the paleo diet. Example, the last two workout sessions were a bitch, the weights felt a little heavier than usual.

#22 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

I don't think fructose will be an issue, unless you are eating a whole bag a day. There was another thread discussing the benefits of frozen berries and whether they lost any of their nutritional value during the packaging process.

I know i started that thread. I just wanted to revisit that question momentarily to see if anyone else wanted to chime in on the possible fruit juice concentration=higher fructose content scenario. But I doubt it. Unless they are adding something they aren't telling people about. The berries don't taste like there is any artifical sugar added but you never know I suppose.

#23 spp

• 13 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:12 AM

Its not clear that ketogenic diets really do increase oxidative stress in the body.
http://www.proteinpo...idative-stress/
cites the article from
http://www.lieberton...9/rej.2007.0540
which indicates the opposite. Dr. Eades also argues that the primary cause of oxidative stress is elevated blood glucose, caused by high carbohydrate intake.

#24 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:08 AM

Its not clear that ketogenic diets really do increase oxidative stress in the body.
cites the article from
which indicates the opposite. Dr. Eades also argues that the primary cause of oxidative stress is elevated blood glucose, caused by high carbohydrate intake.

Thanks for the article. I agree, the issue is far from decided.

#25 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 11:26 PM

cites the article from

So I began this diet approximately a week ago, and I must say that I have been feeling extremely tired in the beginning of the day, after eating my first meal. Before that I feel a sort of wake up boost, but shortly after I eat I feel this strong need to nap. And when I exercise while feeling this way it is very difficult. I'm losing body fat but not in the way I want to. My rib cage is becoming increasingly visible while my abs are becoming less visible, which is very strange. Is this a normal induction symptom? What about the fatigue? When will this cease?

#26 spp

• 13 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 06:02 PM

cites the article from

So I began this diet approximately a week ago, and I must say that I have been feeling extremely tired in the beginning of the day, after eating my first meal. Before that I feel a sort of wake up boost, but shortly after I eat I feel this strong need to nap. And when I exercise while feeling this way it is very difficult. I'm losing body fat but not in the way I want to. My rib cage is becoming increasingly visible while my abs are becoming less visible, which is very strange. Is this a normal induction symptom? What about the fatigue? When will this cease?

Adaptation takes a few weeks, since your body needs to change over from sugar burning to fat burning, which requires a different set of enzymes. This has actually been known for over 100 years.

See:
http://www.proteinpo...arb-adaptation/

#27 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:10 PM

cites the article from

Adaptation takes a few weeks, since your body needs to change over from sugar burning to fat burning, which requires a different set of enzymes. This has actually been known for over 100 years.

See:
http://www.proteinpo...arb-adaptation/

I already knew that. But thanks for the heads up on how long the adaptation phase may last.

#28 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:35 AM

When you go low-carb, particularly if your carbohydrate intake is sub 50g or you are at a caloric deficit, your body begins to run low on glycogen and your muscles will take on a flatter appearance. This can lead to a loss of definition, even at low body fat percentages, especially if you don't have much mass to compensate. This may be what you are experiencing with your abs.

Have you input your daily food intake into a free program like Fit Day? Your macros may need some adjustment. Also, if you are losing weight or lethargic, try upping your calories slightly.

#29 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 02:54 AM

When you go low-carb, particularly if your carbohydrate intake is sub 50g or you are at a caloric deficit, your body begins to run low on glycogen and your muscles will take on a flatter appearance. This can lead to a loss of definition, even at low body fat percentages, especially if you don't have much mass to compensate. This may be what you are experiencing with your abs.

Have you input your daily food intake into a free program like Fit Day? Your macros may need some adjustment. Also, if you are losing weight or lethargic, try upping your calories slightly.

The calorie deficit angle was my first idea for what may have been causing this. But i've seen plenty of CR people with six packs so I don't think that is the issue. I think it has more to do with basic adjustments from carb to other sources of energy. I think slightly upping the fat intake may help. But as it stands the caloric intake should be at or around at least 2000 calories daily. Granted, some days it might be 1700 but perhaps this just necessitates working out a little less, every other day, instead of what i've been doing, which is 2 days working out, one day rest. How do you other Paleo people prevent caloric deficits from happening? What do you eat, besides the meat?

Edited by TheFountain, 12 May 2009 - 02:54 AM.

#30 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:43 PM

The calorie deficit angle was my first idea for what may have been causing this. But i've seen plenty of CR people with six packs so I don't think that is the issue. I think it has more to do with basic adjustments from carb to other sources of energy. I think slightly upping the fat intake may help. But as it stands the caloric intake should be at or around at least 2000 calories daily. Granted, some days it might be 1700 but perhaps this just necessitates working out a little less, every other day, instead of what i've been doing, which is 2 days working out, one day rest. How do you other Paleo people prevent caloric deficits from happening? What do you eat, besides the meat?

Caloric deficit is when a person's energy intake is below their basal metabolic rate (BMR). People on CR are not at a caloric deficit. If they were, they would constantly be losing weight as a caloric deficit implies they are not getting enough calories to maintain a stable weight. When a person is on CR, they lose weight initially, but eventually their weight stabilizes and they just maintain.

If you are below your BMR, you will be suffering some of the symptoms of weight loss (fatigue, loss of muscle tone, etc). Coupled with induction, this could be a less than pleasant period. Generally, if you just want to maintain, you should increase your portion sizes to compensate since you are proabably not eating enough. However, if you want to be really analytic about it, you should plot your daily food intake for a week on FitDay (a free online food journal) and see how that compares to your BMR as computed by the Harris-Benedict equation (my favorite). Experimentation here is key.

I eat a lot of different foods during the day: fatty cuts of meat help (bacon, steak, etc) and of course eggs and cheese. Nut butter and raw seeds. Olive oil as a dressing for salads. My paleo cookies (180 calories, 10g of protein, 3g net carbs, lots of fat). 99-100% dark chocolate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users