- - - - -

My variation of the Paleo Diet

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:36 AM

I eat a lot of different foods during the day: fatty cuts of meat help (bacon, steak, etc) and of course eggs and cheese. Nut butter and raw seeds. Olive oil as a dressing for salads. My paleo cookies (180 calories, 10g of protein, 3g net carbs, lots of fat). 99-100% dark chocolate.

Can you tell me more about these 'paleo cookies' or link me to the instructions on how to make them? Thanks. 100% dark chocolate would be a good catch where I live as most of it is the sugar-laden supermarket crap that poses as dark chocolate, I.E 86% dark chocolate, bleh! I might have to find some online and hope it doesn't melt by the time it gets here.

edit, I think I found the instructions.

http://www.fitnessan...eo/paleo40.html

Unfortunately it appears high in sugar.

Edit again: Forget about 100% dark chocolate too. 10$ a bar you people must be rich.

Edited by TheFountain, 13 May 2009 - 02:43 AM.

#32 JackChristopher

• 178 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:56 AM

I eat a lot of different foods during the day: fatty cuts of meat help (bacon, steak, etc) and of course eggs and cheese. Nut butter and raw seeds. Olive oil as a dressing for salads. My paleo cookies (180 calories, 10g of protein, 3g net carbs, lots of fat). 99-100% dark chocolate.

Can you tell me more about these 'paleo cookies' or link me to the instructions on how to make them? Thanks. 100% dark chocolate would be a good catch where I live as most of it is the sugar-laden supermarket crap that poses as dark chocolate, I.E 86% dark chocolate, bleh! I might have to find some online and hope it doesn't melt by the time it gets here.

Edit again: Forget about 100% dark chocolate too. 10$ a bar you people must be rich.

You could buy a bar of Baker's chocolate and sweeten it yourself too.

I've found them in supermarkets for $3 (8 oz) -- unsure of the quality. Its's literally a brand called Baker's chocolate.

Edited by JackChristopher, 13 May 2009 - 03:58 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:18 PM

Actually i've opted for 99% dark chocolate. There is a brand (lindt) that sells them for about 3.50$ each online. I guess I can splurge about 20$ a month for a few.

#34 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:55 PM

What city do you live in? You make it sound like some corporate wasteland!

I buy 99% Scharffen Berger Unsweetened Chocolate for about $10. It contains five servings, each at 360 calories. Needless to say, I can make it last a long time! You should be able to find it by the baking goods (bakers chocolate, etc) as the other poster mentioned.

The Paleo cookies I make are kind of my own recipe, and they differ a lot between batches. Basically I take 1 cup of almond flower, 1 cup of chocolate flavored carbohydrate free whey protein, and mix them in a bowl. Then I add a teaspoon of arrow root powder (improves consistency like baking soda) and mix in an egg, some melted butter, flax seed oil and almond butter. Bake for a few minutes around 350F till they harden. Last time I left out the almond butter and FitDay says they net 3g of carbs per cookie. Not a bad snack.

Edited by Skotkonung, 13 May 2009 - 05:22 PM.

#35 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:01 AM

What city do you live in? You make it sound like some corporate wasteland!

I buy 99% Scharffen Berger Unsweetened Chocolate for about $10. It contains five servings, each at 360 calories. Needless to say, I can make it last a long time! You should be able to find it by the baking goods (bakers chocolate, etc) as the other poster mentioned.

The Paleo cookies I make are kind of my own recipe, and they differ a lot between batches. Basically I take 1 cup of almond flower, 1 cup of chocolate flavored carbohydrate free whey protein, and mix them in a bowl. Then I add a teaspoon of arrow root powder (improves consistency like baking soda) and mix in an egg, some melted butter, flax seed oil and almond butter. Bake for a few minutes around 350F till they harden. Last time I left out the almond butter and FitDay says they net 3g of carbs per cookie. Not a bad snack.

Is this what you buy? http://www.scharffen....asp?number=HBB

Well I am currently shuffling around new york state. The times when I am in school in NYC are the times when I may seem the most annoyed, ironically. One would believe this city has more variety than anyplace else. I say bullshit. This place is nothing but a paradise for those who dream big but never wake up. The healthfood industry in New york city is aweful. They capitalize on it like no place i've ever been before. Anything considered remotely healthy is 8X overpriced and healthfood stores are ridiculous soy-ladened junk food outlets designed for the upper class to buy snacks. Thankfully it is just for schooling and I will be leaving here in a couple of weeks, then transferring to another school next semester.

Edited by TheFountain, 14 May 2009 - 03:01 AM.

#36 CobaltThoriumG

• 256 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:22 PM

It's just about the easiest thing in the world to make your own chocolate. I'm relatively inept in the kitchen and have done it several times now. The only sweetener I use is stevia. I measure out a mass of raw cacao butter, measure out 1/3 that mass in raw cacao powder, melt the cacao butter over very low heat (double boiler type set-up, using a pyrex measuring cup placed inside a soup pot), mix the cacao powder into the cacao butter, add stevia to taste, let cool somewhat to where it begins to solidify, reheat once gently to melt, then let cool sufficiently to allow you to pour out blobs of it on aluminum foil. They'll solidify. Then toss them in the fridge for keeping. I get ~7.77 calories/g. I'm not saying the taste couldn't be improved upon somewhat but it's basically chocolate and doesn't cost much.

#37 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:40 PM

Also, have you tried http://www.freshdirect.com? My coworker used it when he lived in NY and said it was great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users