* * - - - 11 votes

Guys underestimate the role hairstyle plays

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#31 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:56 AM

You don't remember the 60's do you?

How could I if I wasn't born till 1984? Do you remember the 60s? If so then why are you asking rhetorical questions?

Well anyone who remembers the 60's wasn't there.

#32 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:57 AM

Well, this thread settles it. ImmInst needs a museum for the preservation of Comically Stupid Threads.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 caston

• 2,141 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:59 AM

Can we get a federal grant for that?

#34 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 05:39 AM

Well, this thread settles it. ImmInst needs a museum for the preservation of Comically Stupid Threads.

Actually the only thing this thread settles is the obvious fact that most of the guys getting offended by it are of the shaven headed sort. Grow up people.

Edited by TheFountain, 13 May 2009 - 05:39 AM.

#35 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

Actually the only thing this thread settles is the obvious fact that most of the guys getting offended by it are of the shaven headed sort. Grow up people.

Me thinks you read into people disagreeing with your point of view a tad too much.

You started this thread as some kind of rant against hairstyles other than your own dismissing them as a result of "repressed fear of homosexual tendencies".

Long hair in men is not a new thing. Nor is short hair in women. If you want to be rebellious try doing so in something other than a fairly meaningless aesthetic gesture.

Lets keep our fingers crossed you don't go bald :)

Edited by eternaltraveler, 13 May 2009 - 11:43 AM.

• like x 1

#36 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:06 PM

Me thinks you read into people disagreeing with your point of view a tad too much.

You started this thread as some kind of rant against hairstyles other than your own dismissing them as a result of "repressed fear of homosexual tendencies".

Long hair in men is not a new thing. Nor is short hair in women. If you want to be rebellious try doing so in something other than a fairly meaningless aesthetic gesture.

Lets keep our fingers crossed you don't go bald :)

I hardly think that in a society where seemingly 90% of men either shave their heads or cut them extremely short that promoting a little diversiity is 'reading into' anything. Women have been the ones stylizing and doing themselves up for a long time. It's about time men gave women back a little of aesthetic effort in my opinion. Again, I never implied every man should have hippy length hair. Just that some might benefit their appearance by letting it grow a little bit longer than 2 inches. And some women might actually encourage it!

Edited by TheFountain, 13 May 2009 - 12:10 PM.

#37 vreeswijk

• 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:13 PM

if i may be so bold to add my $.02 to this thread, when it comes down to what is of most importance deep down inside... women are really not as critical about appearance when compared to things such as personality, character, and confidence.

when i was a pretty boy i used to wonder why i never had any girlfriends. over the past few years i've been growing my hair out (but i hide it under a black knit cap that makes me look like a cat burglar), and starting last year i began growing out a full beard. i currently look as if i may have just walked out of the woods (from some location with an ample food supply!).

my appearance has been in the process of becoming more unkempt over the past couple of years, i dress like a factory worker and i'm also overweight now as well. at the same time the confidence that comes with maturity and experience has been on the increase, and in the past five years i have hardly ever spent any time being single. i'm 34 years old and my girlfriend is only 23, and ever since i've grown out this bushy beard younger women have been responding in a very positive manner to me, as long as i'm open and friendly i can get greeted with wide smiles and glowing eyes.

i'm definitely no casanova but my increase in positive attitude has been inversely proportional to my physical attractiveness, and my romantic life has NEVER been more satisfying than in the past several years.

go figure that one out!

#38 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:11 AM

if i may be so bold to add my $.02 to this thread, when it comes down to what is of most importance deep down inside... women are really not as critical about appearance when compared to things such as personality, character, and confidence.

when i was a pretty boy i used to wonder why i never had any girlfriends. over the past few years i've been growing my hair out (but i hide it under a black knit cap that makes me look like a cat burglar), and starting last year i began growing out a full beard. i currently look as if i may have just walked out of the woods (from some location with an ample food supply!).

my appearance has been in the process of becoming more unkempt over the past couple of years, i dress like a factory worker and i'm also overweight now as well. at the same time the confidence that comes with maturity and experience has been on the increase, and in the past five years i have hardly ever spent any time being single. i'm 34 years old and my girlfriend is only 23, and ever since i've grown out this bushy beard younger women have been responding in a very positive manner to me, as long as i'm open and friendly i can get greeted with wide smiles and glowing eyes.

i'm definitely no casanova but my increase in positive attitude has been inversely proportional to my physical attractiveness, and my romantic life has NEVER been more satisfying than in the past several years.

go figure that one out!

I disagree with the comment 'women are really not critical about appearance when you consider personality, etc'. I think that once again, you have made an effort to comparmentalize all women under one banner. The same thing many men on this forum have done over and over and over. Women are diverse thinkers, they do not subsrcribe to a 'one man is all men' notion the way many men here seem to think of women. Secondly, you're talking about an experience that you believe is a microcosmic example of the rest of the world. You believe that because you got less female attention when you were a 'pretty boy' that, of course, it must be that no 'pretty boy' types get female attention anywhere. This kind of thinking is a trap that men continue to fall into. I try my best to transcend it. When I say of my generation that the women in it are 'increasingly' more attracted to longer hair on guys, I do not ever imply that it is a monotonous attraction that ends there. What I mean is that the women of my generation are becoming more diverse minded and actually truly being lured to men for inherent attraction instead of what the brainless media says women ought to be attracted to. Not that women haven't been attracted to long haired men for a while, but the recent trend has been toward that military cut type. But I really think that was more the medias projections than what in truth was happening. Todays females are becoming less attracted to pushy overly compensatory types and more into the metro sexuals. Again, this doesn't mean all or even most of them, just many. And it is a genuine sexual attraction not some misplaced blah for boobly boo blah sake as the wannabe female psychiatrists here would lead some to believe.

Edited by TheFountain, 14 May 2009 - 03:13 AM.

#39 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:22 AM

...in a society where seemingly 90% of men either shave their heads or cut them extremely short...

Dude, what maximum security prison do you live in, anyway? You're posting to an international audience.

#40 spaceistheplace

• 397 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:48 AM

I keep my hair short because I just don't care enough about how it looks. Is it alright if I just don't care?

#41 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:38 AM

I disagree with the comment 'women are really not critical about appearance when you consider personality, etc'. I think that once again, you have made an effort to comparmentalize all women under one banner. The same thing many men on this forum have done over and over and over. Women are diverse thinkers, they do not subsrcribe to a 'one man is all men' notion the way many men here seem to think of women. Secondly, you're talking about an experience that you believe is a microcosmic example of the rest of the world. You believe that because you got less female attention when you were a 'pretty boy' that, of course, it must be that no 'pretty boy' types get female attention anywhere. This kind of thinking is a trap that men continue to fall into. I try my best to transcend it. When I say of my generation that the women in it are 'increasingly' more attracted to longer hair on guys, I do not ever imply that it is a monotonous attraction that ends there. What I mean is that the women of my generation are becoming more diverse minded and actually truly being lured to men for inherent attraction instead of what the brainless media says women ought to be attracted to. Not that women haven't been attracted to long haired men for a while, but the recent trend has been toward that military cut type. But I really think that was more the medias projections than what in truth was happening. Todays females are becoming less attracted to pushy overly compensatory types and more into the metro sexuals. Again, this doesn't mean all or even most of them, just many. And it is a genuine sexual attraction not some misplaced blah for boobly boo blah sake as the wannabe female psychiatrists here would lead some to believe.

I'm certainly not going to dispute that people are becoming more diverse minded. What I don't understand is why you are so hung up on long hair and I don't understand why short hair makes you so emotional and angry. This is clearly irrational. Also you make a lot of claims and support none of them with data, so I can only assume you are speaking from personal experience, and then you lambast others for speaking from personal experience.

Also you might want to tone down the whole self righteous kick. It makes you seem like a jerk. A bit like what you describe all men who shave their heads or have short hair to be.

#42 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:56 AM

...in a society where seemingly 90% of men either shave their heads or cut them extremely short...

Dude, what maximum security prison do you live in, anyway? You're posting to an international audience.

Is it okay if I care about mine at the same time as being a heterosexual male? is it okay to encourage other's to care? Stop being so anal about this people.

#43 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:58 AM

I'm certainly not going to dispute that people are becoming more diverse minded. What I don't understand is why you are so hung up on long hair and I don't understand why short hair makes you so emotional and angry. This is clearly irrational. Also you make a lot of claims and support none of them with data, so I can only assume you are speaking from personal experience, and then you lambast others for speaking from personal experience.

Also you might want to tone down the whole self righteous kick. It makes you seem like a jerk. A bit like what you describe all men who shave their heads or have short hair to be.

I'm not angry about anything. You're projecting your own emotions here bubba. And if I am a jerk for encouraging guys to grow their hair out a little bit and saying hey, it's okay you can stylize without being considered gay. Then you're a complete asshole for arguing against it.

And what 'claims' need to be supported by data? The only data I need regarding this issue is my beautiful model girlfriend and the other girls who are attracted to myself and other guys with longer hair. I never said beautiful girls are not attracted to short haired guys as well. I never made any concrete statement. It is you and those like you churning out bullshit analysis of the female psyche, pretending to know a lot more than you actually do about the inner-workings of a womans mind with comments like 'most females are attracted to short hair' and that bullshit comment someone made about some gay guys being attracted to women and then relating it to long hair. Stop being so arrogant guys. And if this thread makes your hairs stand up (pun intended) then do not revisit it.

Edited by TheFountain, 14 May 2009 - 05:07 AM.

#44 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:02 AM

Dude, what maximum security prison do you live in, anyway?

The United states.

#45 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:09 AM

Control your emotions people. I know that hair is a controversial subject but I promise it's okay to have some and to actually stylize it a little.

#46 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:56 AM

So they don't want to grow their hair :)
Stop caring for it so much ^^ enjoy your hair and let them enjoy their (yay spike field! ^^)

There are many attractive short haired men.
There are many unattractive short haired men. :O

There are many attractive long haired men. :p seen in last page ^^
There are many unattractive long haired men.. last page proved it! :O

Freedom lets everyone choose their own style and do whatever hey want about their bodies ^^ enjoy yourself.. maybe you're not caring for the hairstyle of the men here but annoyed about stigmas being put for men with long hair?
Don't worry about that either ^^ and it won't change the men out there if you talk to the men around here :D

New and interesting styles always come! the world changes all the time ^_^

#47 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:34 AM

So they don't want to grow their hair :)
Stop caring for it so much ^^ enjoy your hair and let them enjoy their (yay spike field! ^^)

There are many attractive short haired men.
There are many unattractive short haired men. :O

There are many attractive long haired men. :p seen in last page ^^
There are many unattractive long haired men.. last page proved it! :O

Freedom lets everyone choose their own style and do whatever hey want about their bodies ^^ enjoy yourself.. maybe you're not caring for the hairstyle of the men here but annoyed about stigmas being put for men with long hair?
Don't worry about that either ^^ and it won't change the men out there if you talk to the men around here :D

New and interesting styles always come! the world changes all the time ^_^

hmm I thought that just mentioning it might yield some positive results seeing as how this is the ever so logical scientific community with reasonable and calm people populating it. Apparently short hair is some peoples jesus and this post is the equivalent of treason against the priesthood.

But alas, it is just an attempt to expand horizons. I will not cease because the growl of the majority is becoming incomprehensibly lame. Those who wish to continue this discussion shall continue it, those who don't shall hopefully not waste their time on something they do not wish to.

So my tip to you is not to blame the messenger but those who waste their time on things they do not wish to. Wouldn't that lead to a more fruitful outcome?

Edited by TheFountain, 14 May 2009 - 07:35 AM.

#48 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:04 PM

I'm not angry about anything.

(oh my gosh!) longer than 2 inches!

Fear!

He said there was nothing wrong with that!!!

Greased hair looked so sophisticated and dangerous back then!

Longer hair = strength!!!

And some women might actually encourage it!

if you don't want to appear emotional you may wish to slightly scale back your use of exclamation points (others here have used them as well, but in a satirical fashion; there is a difference)

You're projecting your own emotions here

I have no emotions in regards to this issue.

if I am a jerk for encouraging guys to grow their hair out a little bit and saying hey, it's okay you can stylize without being considered gay.

You are not a jerk for encouraging guys to grow their hair out. It's an issue of delivery.

Edited by eternaltraveler, 14 May 2009 - 01:06 PM.
software made me split this into two posts

#49 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

Then you're a complete asshole for arguing against it.

I am not arguing against it. Why would I? I've had my hair down my back and I've shaved my head and gave it a good polish. Either is fine by me.

And what 'claims' need to be supported by data?

the basis of this thread. You state that females are increasingly attracted to long hair. Back it up. Your anecdotal reports are no more meaningful than the anecdotal reports of short haired males or anyone.

The only data I need regarding this issue is my beautiful model girlfriend and the other girls who are attracted to myself and other guys with longer hair. I never said beautiful girls are not attracted to short haired guys as well. I never made any concrete statement. It is you and those like you churning out bullshit analysis of the female psyche, pretending to know a lot more than you actually do about the inner-workings of a womans mind with comments like 'most females are attracted to short hair' and that bullshit comment someone made about some gay guys being attracted to women and then relating it to long hair. Stop being so arrogant guys. And if this thread makes your hairs stand up (pun intended) then do not revisit it.

didn't get the point about self righteousness did we?

beautiful model girlfriend

I also have to address this comment you keep repeating. I'm glad you think your girlfriend is attractive, but the fact that you parade her as a "beautiful model" and then also say things like the following

What I mean is that the women of my generation are becoming more diverse minded and actually truly being lured to men for inherent attraction instead of what the brainless media says women ought to be attracted to

so you are saying essentially that you are attracted to exactly what the media says you should be attracted too (model type) but women are increasingly moving away from what the media says they should be attracted too.

that's all fine of course. But it is a bit ironic.

#50 vreeswijk

• 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:42 PM

But alas, it is just an attempt to expand horizons.

well, i didn't mean to instigate anything from my own personal experiences... and i don't intend to instigate anything more but i have to say that i find the above to be quite humorous. considering the vast capacities and capabilities of the human mind, and the enormous potentials latent in the human being i have to laugh at the idea of a hair style expanding any sort of horizon.

"expanding horizons" gives me this mental image of gazing across a massive awe inspiring landscape, inhaling deeply as i feel a rush of energy flow through me, and feeling a new level of exhilaration. beginning to grow my hair out most certainly did not induce any such cathartic epiphanies upon me... perhaps i am just dull.

carry on with your debate though, sorry to interrupt. in the meantime i'll just go back to lurking and meditating on the massive untapped power that lies latent within my long hair.

i might even attempt to use my hair to expand a horizon sometime in the next few days.

#51 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:00 PM

Some people just don't get it.

#52 dumbdumb

• 115 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:05 PM

Would it derail this thread very much to talk about the styling of men's hair in general? Like for example, what elements of a hair style have what sort of impact upon the visual impression of a man's face, which side to part on according to your facial features, etc. I'm curious about those sorts of things and can't really find any information on them, at least as pertains to men specifically.

#53 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:31 PM

I've had both medium and short hair and can say without question that short hair rocks! Never again will I submit to the dictatorship of longer hair, with all the combing, drying, blowing, disgusting and gunky products, expensive barbers, and so on. What man who actually has an interesting life has time for that crap anyway? What woman (or man) wants her or his partner's head to smell like a chemical factory, never mind the constant primping? Short hair is complete liberation. I just buzz it myself in five minutes once a week, and then I'm ready to go. In the mornings I get up and the hair is ready. Whenever I take a shower, I pass a towel over it and it is dry and ready. And, fortunately, I run in a subculture where very short hair is considered more attractive and erotic than longer hair, which suits me just fine.

Edited by andre, 15 May 2009 - 07:42 PM.

#54 dumbdumb

• 115 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

I've had both medium and short hair and can say without question that short hair rocks! Never again will I submit to the dictatorship of longer hair, with all the combing, drying, blowing, disgusting and gunky products, expensive barbers, and so on. What man who actually has an interesting life has time for that crap anyway? What woman (or man) wants her or his partner's head to smell like a chemical factory, never mind the constant primping? Short hair is complete liberation. I just buzz it myself in five minutes once a week, and then I'm ready to go. In the mornings I get up and the hair is ready. Whenever I take a shower, I pass a towel over it and it is dry and ready. And, fortunately, I run in a subculture where very short hair is considered more attractive and erotic than longer hair, which suits me just fine.

Yes, I think it would be derailing the thread too much. It looks like this one is just a contest of absolutes - not just limited to andre's comments, but throughout all this back and forth about what's "best."
Nevermind my post earlier post.

#55 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:57 PM

Yes, I think it would be derailing the thread too much.

This is probably the dumbest thread ever and can hardly get any dumber. I am sure few will mind if you jump into the fray. :)

Edited by andre, 15 May 2009 - 11:33 PM.

#56 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:30 AM

My girlfriend is attracted to me because I am not afraid of the stupid asses who think long hair=homosexuality.

This is the best thread ever! Absolutely hilarious! :)

#57 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:45 AM

My girlfriend is attracted to me because I am not afraid of the stupid asses who think long hair=homosexuality.

This is the best thread ever! Absolutely hilarious! :)

Skin heads rule

#58 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:07 AM

anyone know how I can get hair like this? supplement ideas? thx in advance.

Posted Image

#59 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:13 AM

anyone know how I can get hair like this? supplement ideas? thx in advance.

Posted Image

Thanks for that.....LMAO

#60 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

Then you don't mind women who put absolutely no effort into looking pretty? Shave their heads? No make up? No anti-aging skin creams? Let their armpit hair grow? Don't shave their legs? Don't paint their nails? uh huh......

NEXT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users