Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Topical Vitamin C

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

At first I thought zorba might have thought I was looking for an exfoliant rather than something to increase collagen production, but then I looked up "magnesium ascorbyl phosphate" myself.

I found this article:
http://www.smartskin.../vitcderiv.html

Does anyone have any input regarding these vitamin c derivatives? The claim is that they might be superior to ascorbic acid in various ways. Perhaps this could be like the transition from vitamin A to retinoids?

From the article (it discusses two such derivatives):
"Magnesuim ascorbyl phosphate is a water-soluble derivative of vitamin C rapidly gaining popularity in skin care. It is nonirritating and more stable than vitamin C. Most importantly, magnesuim ascorbyl phosphate appears to have the same potential as vitamin C to boost skin collagen synthesis but is effective in significantly lower concentrations. Overall, magnesuim ascorbyl phosphate appears to be a better choice than vitamin C for people with sensitive skin and those wishing to avoid any concomitant exfoliating effects."

Also, I'm considering the propylene glycol, but I'm surprised my sensitive skin is handling the ascorbic acid, so I'm cautious about adding something else that could potentially irritate.

Ascorbic acid is the form used in most studies on collagen production, etc.

Edited by immortali457, 18 August 2009 - 08:00 PM.

#62 DrEvil

• 42 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

Hi to make a Vitamin Skin solution can I just buy pure white Vitamin C pills from a pharmacy?
Is Vitamin C stable enough in it's dry form?
Also why does one need to use distilled water.. why not just plain boiled tap water?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

Hi to make a Vitamin Skin solution can I just buy pure white Vitamin C pills from a pharmacy?
Is Vitamin C stable enough in it's dry form?
Also why does one need to use distilled water.. why not just plain boiled tap water?

Do not use vitamin C pills in a serum. They will have fillers which is not good.
Vitamin C powder is stable. Keep in a dark place away from heat.
Lotioncrafter.com sells some ultrafine C powder that is much easier to work with than regular L-Ascorbic
Acid powder. Best to use distilled water so to avoid any minerals, other nastys that might react badly with your serum.
Whether you can tell it is happening or not. Better safe than sorry. A good filtered water might work.

#64 VesperLynd

• 180 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 12:40 PM

With respect to a simple Vitamin C in distilled water solution, vs. a combination C&E&Ferulic:

Based on my recollection of the research, the C is necessary for collagen production.

The E and Ferulic are added for formula stabilization and enhanced photoprotection and similar benefits.

Of course, if anyone has info to the contrary, please share.

VL

#65 VesperLynd

• 180 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:24 PM

nevermind, found the correct answer on Fredrik's thread -

Tks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users