• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How much vitamin C do you supplement, and why?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: How much? (227 member(s) have cast votes)

This amount is your total per day, not per dose.

1. None (22 votes [9.61%])

Percentage of vote: 9.61%

2. <100mg (3 votes [1.31%])

Percentage of vote: 1.31%

3. 100-200mg (8 votes [3.49%])

Percentage of vote: 3.49%

4. 201-500mg (27 votes [11.79%])

Percentage of vote: 11.79%

5. 501-999mg (17 votes [7.42%])

Percentage of vote: 7.42%

6. 1000mg (37 votes [16.16%])

Percentage of vote: 16.16%

7. 1001-2000mg (50 votes [21.83%])

Percentage of vote: 21.83%

8. 2001-5000mg (45 votes [19.65%])

Percentage of vote: 19.65%

9. >5000mg (20 votes [8.73%])

Percentage of vote: 8.73%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2009 - 05:55 AM

Also talk about dosing, and why you think this is or isn't important. Also, do any of you get any noticeable anti-inflammatory effects from it?

#2 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:02 AM

I have been taking high dose vitamin c for years. I originally started at about 5 x 1 grams, taking every 4 hours or so.

I've now switched to timed release 1gram doses. I take 3 of those a day, so 3 grams spaced out. One before bed. I think if you're healthy and no suffering from disease this is a pretty high but safe dose.

I have only noticed significant anti inflammatory effects from supps like Pyconogenol and quercetin. None from vitamin c that I can tell.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:36 PM

zero. i take lipoic acid which helps the body recycle vitamin C. i get my RDA from a glass of orange juice and beets every day.

#4 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:40 AM

These days I only take a 1,000 mg timed-release vitamin C supplement when I'm going out drinking. Otherwise, I get my vitamin C from my daily berry smoothie.

#5 OneScrewLoose

• Topic Starter
  • 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:29 PM

hmmm, many voted but few responded...

#6 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:42 PM

I take 2g vit C and 500mg ascorbyl-palmitate.

Recently started skipping it (and other anti-oxidants) around workouts, so I can get the benefit of exercise.

#7 Ben K

• 45 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:42 AM

I'm kind of surprised people are still taking so much.

What do you think of these studies cited by Dr. Andrew Weil on his website?

"For the record, I used to recommend taking 2,000 to 6,000 mg of vitamin C daily (divided into three doses). However, in 1999 I lowered my recommendation to 200 to 500 mg (divided into two doses) after reviewing two well-designed studies showing that this amount of vitamin C more than saturates the body's tissues, and thus is sufficient to protect against cancer, heart disease and other chronic illnesses. One of the studies that influenced my decision analyzed clinical trials published in the April 21, 1999 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association. It concluded that 200 mg a day is the maximum amount of vitamin C that human cells can absorb, making higher dosing on a daily basis pointless.

"The second study came from the Linus Pauling Institute (Pauling himself took 18,000 mg of C per day) and was published in the June 1999 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. It identified a similar dose, 120 to 200 mg, as the optimal amount for reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, cataracts and other chronic conditions."
  • like x 1

#8 Dmitri

• 841 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:21 AM

100-200mg from my multi though it depends how many pills I take; I usually only take one capsule a day. I also get Vitamin C from frozen berries I use to make a smoothie in the morning (I also add oats, banana, egg and rice milk).

#9 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

500 mg Ester C

#10 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

I've taken at least 5 grams or more daily since god knows how long. Probably 30 years. Vitamin C has a very quick half-life.

Oh, Ben K, whatever Andrew Weil says on his website I go and do the opposite. :)

Edited by pycnogenol, 11 September 2009 - 03:21 PM.

• like x 1

#11 bigtourist

• 12 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2009 - 07:54 PM

1000mg time released

#12 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:41 PM

None. If I don't get enough from food and the occasional multivitamin, then I'll get scurvy.

#13 nancyd

• 249 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:50 PM

Actually I think I did have scurvy when I was 20. I was covered in bruises and had holes in my gums. (I'm not sure if that description was TMI.) Anyway I currently take 1000 mg sustained release ascorbic acid, 500 mg calcium ascorbate, plus whatever my multi has.

Edited by nancyd, 11 September 2009 - 09:53 PM.

#14 Jay

• 406 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

None, because I am concerned that it lowers endogenous antioxidant production and because there's not more evidence showing it helps prevent aging or disease-- After all, vitamin C is not a newcomer to the supplement scene. That said, I haven't spent much time looking into C so my concerns re endogenous antioxidants could be wrong.

#15 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:45 PM

None, because I am concerned that it lowers endogenous antioxidant production and because there's not more evidence showing it helps prevent aging or disease--After all,
vitamin C is not a newcomer to the supplement scene. That said, I haven't spent much time looking into C so my concerns re endogenous antioxidants could be wrong.

Me thinks you really need to read "Ascorbate: The Science of Vitamin C" by by Dr. Steve Hickey & Dr. Hilary Roberts for the straight dope.
  • like x 1

#16 Jay

• 406 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:56 PM

Me thinks you really need to read "Ascorbate: The Science of Vitamin C" by by Dr. Steve Hickey & Dr. Hilary Roberts for the straight dope.
[/quote]

Long-term supplementation at low-doses has been well studied with lackluster results, agreed? Megadosing is a whole different thing and it might offer great results. In certain circumstances, I might be up for it, but as a healthy 31 year old, I'd rather wait for more evidence. Don't you think that's fair?

#17 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:03 PM

Long-term supplementation at low-doses has been well studied with lackluster results, agreed? Megadosing is a whole different thing and it might offer great results. In certain circumstances, I might be up for it, but as a healthy 31 year old, I'd rather wait for more evidence.
Don't you think that's fair?

Hey, do what you need to do and read what you need to read. Your young so you can lay out on the high-dose C for now I suppose. Me? I take 5 grams of C at bare minimum per day and my money is on the higher doses.

Edited by pycnogenol, 11 September 2009 - 11:04 PM.

• like x 1

#18 rephore

• 123 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:28 AM

I was at my uncle's house 1 day and noticed a huge jar of chewable 500 mg vitamin C. Me and my cousin would eat it throught out the day. It tasted like candy. We couldn't stop ourselves. We both ate about 30 during that day. We ended up with diarhea that night. :)

Back on topic. I have noticed my allergies are far worse if I don't take Vitamin C. So I'd take 1000 mg three times a day. Then I came across a book where the doctor recommended only 250 mg twice daily (Life Extension Express available at http://maxlife.org - it's free). So I tried that. And 250 mg a pop worked just as well. I take it 3 times a day though so I don't have allergies in the evening.

I also take Alpha Lipoic acid to recycle the C. And this coach I know recommended taking 1 gram of C, before and after work outs to prevent stress. I tried it a couple dozen times but haven't been consistent enough to tell if it works or not.

Lately though I've been taking 500 mg at a time, just because I'm too lazy to cut the pill in half, and can't find 250 mg pills anymore. This is just my personal experience. 250 mg works just as well as 1000 mg for me. You guys might want to experiment with your dosages.

Edited by rephore, 12 September 2009 - 05:33 AM.

#19 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

And this coach I know recommended taking 1 gram of C, before and after work outs to prevent stress. I tried it a couple dozen times but haven't been consistent enough to tell if it works or not.

I'm not sure what he means by "stress", but it will probably prevent you from getting full benefits from the workout.

#20 Cyberbrain

• Guest, F@H
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:13 PM

1000mg once a week

#21 zawy

• 291 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:25 PM

I take about 4,000 mg/day as ascorbic acid, often in 1 dose to improve my durability in workouts and relieves stress. With coffee, helps give a good morning bowel movement. I would take it at night but I'm lazy. I averaged about 12,000 mg/day from age 28 to 33, but I think all that acid was not good except for keeping my skin young. The picture to the left was when I was 40. In my late 30's it was often assumed I was still in my 20's, even though I never exercised nor ever ate good, nor have any long-life genes. My sister 7 years younger still looks to be my age. Maybe I'll switch to magnesium ascorbate. These days i react half of it with baking soda to reduce the acid (sodium ascorbate). Sometimes when I'm being smart, I place 5 teaspoons ascorbic acid to 1 teaspoon baking soda and dump it in low sodium V8 to last 5 days. Basically, this amount allows me to get a little more than is recommended for guinea pigs and primates, but a lot less than what all other animals on the planet get (average of 10,000 mg/day). Humans are not some unique species that does "perfectly fine" on 10 times less than laboratory guinea pigs and primates need for optimal health (2 g/day), as MEASURED BY LIFESPAN. I see about 1/3 agree with me that > 2 g/day is best. Vit C in any form is good for you. Don't believe all the crap.

Edited by zawy, 15 September 2009 - 07:39 PM.

• like x 1

#22 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:33 AM

I take 4,000mg per day morning (2000mg) and night (2000mg). I take it in large quantities to support adrenal function as vitamin C is easily oxidized in the body.

#23 Sebastian

• 45 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:31 AM

I definitely don't get nearly enough vitamin C.

What brand/type of Vitamin C would you recommend?
Does anyone have any sources for IV (High Dose) Vitamin C?

#24 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:28 PM

I take 500mg a day. A few years ago I used to take 5000mg to 10,000mg a day, based on Pauling's research. But, since their research, it's become more evident that the less glucose in your diet, the less need for C is needed, because glucose competes strongly (and usually wins) to bind with C's receptor sites. So, poor old-world ocean sailor's eating hard-pack bread biscuits were hastening their demise by overwhelming their body with glucose, reducing the effectiveness of any minimal C they were otherwise getting.

Saw this relevant blog article on this just appearing today.
  • like x 1

#25 bob412

• 7 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:37 PM

I have always had sinus problems and for some reason Vitamin C dries them up. I take 2 grams of buffered Vitamin C three times a day. Maybe Vitamin C in high doses lowers histamine levels? Does anyone out there know why this Vitamin C has this effect?

#26 N.T.M.

• 640 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:54 AM

Several things I've read suggest that 2000 mg is ideal. That's what I do.

Also remember that it's critical for the synthesis of collagen.

#27 aaCharley

• 79 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:40 AM

I was not able to get a copy of the full study, but this is an interesting abstract:

Vitamin C restores healthy aging in a mouse model for Werner syndrome

Vitamin C supplementation rescued the shorter mean life span of Wrn mutant mice and reversed several age-related abnormalities in adipose tissues and liver endothelial defenestration, genomic integrity, and inflammatory status.

#28 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:59 PM

Lately, I've been taking 2,000 mg of vitamin C in 4 divided doses. Once in a while I'll take 500 mg of the fat-soluble form of C called ascorbyl palmitate.

Anyone else here take ascorbyl palmitate and, if so, how much? This is the brand I use: http://www.iherb.com...00-g/16348?at=0

Edited by pycnogenol, 17 February 2010 - 05:01 PM.

#29 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

I'm kind of surprised people are still taking so much.

What do you think of these studies cited by Dr. Andrew Weil on his website?

"For the record, I used to recommend taking 2,000 to 6,000 mg of vitamin C daily (divided into three doses). However, in 1999 I lowered my recommendation to 200 to 500 mg (divided into two doses) after reviewing two well-designed studies showing that this amount of vitamin C more than saturates the body's tissues, and thus is sufficient to protect against cancer, heart disease and other chronic illnesses. One of the studies that influenced my decision analyzed clinical trials published in the April 21, 1999 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association. It concluded that 200 mg a day is the maximum amount of vitamin C that human cells can absorb, making higher dosing on a daily basis pointless.

"The second study came from the Linus Pauling Institute (Pauling himself took 18,000 mg of C per day) and was published in the June 1999 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. It identified a similar dose, 120 to 200 mg, as the optimal amount for reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, cataracts and other chronic conditions."

While he does have a somewhat healthy glow, it doesn't seem from appearance that Dr Weil does much exercise.
So perhaps 500mg is enough for sedentary people (doubt it). The experience of myself and now my extended
family is that 1-2grams per days has numerous benefits including lower cholesterol, more subjective energy,
fewer colds and flus, etc. For me I'll continue to take at least 4 grams a day as it reduces muscle soreness,
minor injuries, capillary breakage, and has eliminated colds and flus. Lypospheric vitamin C is what I
have liked best but they are having manufacturing problems now and so I'm going to give the letstalkhealth
site's liposomal vitamin C a try for a while.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 warner

• 179 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 March 2010 - 04:36 PM

about 250 mg/d + whatever has been stuffed into multivamin, etc.

imho, use of C is mostly based on "magical" thinking, and high dosers get away with it because it is largely harmless (and worthless)

over the years, 90+% of studies on high-dose C i've seen have shown it to have no effect on outcomes, while the remaining are divided, although the positive outcomes always get a lot of press

(what turns me off the most are the ads for sweetened drinks that make a health claim based on their C content)

Edited by warner, 15 March 2010 - 04:37 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users