Photo
- - - - -

Issue staying logged in

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:48 PM

Anyone having issues with staying logged in? For example, I'll log in and visit the supplement board. Then I'll try going to the resource sharing board where I'll be prompted again to log in. Are the sessions expiring after minutes?

I'm using Firefox 3.5.

Stephen

#2 Imminst = pro murder (omega)

• 238 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:08 PM

Happening with the latest version of Safari under the latest version of OS X too. There is a message above on all of the forum pages(?) that suggests clearing cache and cookies. Hard to see how that would help but maybe it does? I'll go give it a try.

I suspect since there was expression of attempting to address the issue of spamming, there may have been an adoption of forced logging in after a shorter specific time.

#3 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:25 PM

Several members have reported this problem. It developed after the forum outage/software problem this weekend. It is being investigated. We apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused.

#4 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

me 3, using google chrome.

#5 JediMasterLucia

• 708 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:19 PM

Several members have reported this problem. It developed after the forum outage/software problem this weekend. It is being investigated. We apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused.

It is good that you have posted the login problems and what to do on top ;)
Hopefully the login problems will be solved soon

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,055 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:13 PM

I have experienced trouble sending PMs as well. I think the problem might be related.

#7 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:02 AM

I think the problem is simply related to legacy cache/cookies.
Please let us know if you are still having problems after clearing those.

I have experienced trouble sending PMs as well. I think the problem might be related.

I think this relates to not updating admin CP settings for PM flood control. I have fixed these.

#8 stephen_b

• Topic Starter
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:59 PM

Firefox 3.5 was recently released. I don't know if any problems people are facing are related to this.

Having all users flush their cache is a terrifically undesirable solution. It would be great if a server side fix could be found.

#9 Imminst = pro murder (omega)

• 238 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:06 AM

If this makes it to being posted here it is the third time in a row I posted a message without having to log in repeatedly.

I think maybe you got it, caliban. Thanks.

Edited by Omega, 09 July 2009 - 01:07 AM.

#10 caliban

• 9,152 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:45 PM

Having all users flush their cache is a terrifically undesirable solution.

To be clear: this should only be required once. However, if you are very attached to your cache for some reason, I think that the problem will diminish over time... until the next forum change.

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:09 PM

I think the problem is simply related to legacy cache/cookies.
Please let us know if you are still having problems after clearing those.

I've cleared my cache multiple times (I have it set to clear every time I close Firefox) and I have selectively cleared the imminst.org cookie several times, but I am still getting logged out frequently. Would there be a reason to delete any cookies other than imminst.org? I hate to wipe them all as I would lose state at a number of websites, and I can't see why it should matter anyway.

#12 caliban

• 9,152 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:54 PM

The issue seems to be related to cookies rather than cache.

It should be limited to ImmInst cookies, but note that there are a couple.

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:39 AM

I've cleared all cookies, but I'm still getting logged out during periods of inactivity. Is there a new shorter timeout in place? Also, the "remember me" function doesn't seem to be working. Anyone else seeing this? I'm using FF 3.0.11.

#14 caliban

• 9,152 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:27 AM

Forum sessions should be 3600 second long (the chatbox times out after 10 min)

Anyone having problems with shorter sessions?

#15 Ben Simon

• 352 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:44 PM

Me too. Every time I come back I have to log back in.

#16 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

Well, I am happy to add that after clearing the 3 ImmInst cookies, I can now *see* the board (it would not even display for me) and its keeping me logged in all the time as well. I'm on OS X, firefox 3.0.11.

#17 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:46 AM

Was there a timeout on the old forum software? Could we make the timeout longer?

I have another problem; if I log in, then get logged out, it seems to be marking all threads as "read" even though I haven't looked at them. The old software kept track of this properly. I don't know if this is being caused by the auto-logout or something else, but it's a problem in terms of keeping up on the forums.

#18 stephen_b

• Topic Starter
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:51 PM

It's been working very well for me over the past two days. Thanks.

#19 Ben Simon

• 352 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:05 AM

It's been working very well for me over the past two days. Thanks.

Not me. Still keeps logging me out.

There also seems to be a problem when quoting other people's posts. It quotes the text they wrote themselves, but discards the text they have quoted from others, which is sometimes relevant.

#20 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:40 AM

Can this be made longer? As it is, I'm getting logged out every time I get distracted for a while, even while doing something like pubmed research. There's a huge problem with the new auto-logout feature: After getting logged out, all threads in the Active Topics view are marked as read. Also, the "remember me" feature is now broken.

#21 stephen_b

• Topic Starter
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

We are now in log in hell again. <25% of log in attempts work.

Edited by stephen_b, 23 July 2009 - 04:52 PM.

#22 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:55 PM

I'm in logout hell. I got logged out three times last night. What do we have to do to get this timeout changed? Is this something we should have a vote about? Am I the only one who's noticing this?

#23 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:41 PM

Anyone having problems with shorter sessions?

Could the session length be increased to at least 1209600 seconds? That's how often I have to log back into my yahoo mail and it's much less annoying than this 1 hour business.

#24 stephen_b

• Topic Starter
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

Just wondering: does anyone else who's experiencing login issues use the adblock plus firefox addon?

#25 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:27 AM

I am facing the logging out issue too.

I have cleared both cache & cookies not less than ten times since I have noticed the problem but in vain.

I thought that it was related to my Firefox 3.0 and was about to uninstall Firefox in my PC; this morning I installed the latest Firefox 3.5.1 but the logging out issue was still there. By chance I found this tread and it was not me facing the same issue.

#26 caliban

• 9,152 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

Could the session length be increased to at least 1209600 seconds?

Its not great for security, but I have now used that figure - so people can stay in the same session all day without having to log in after 60 minutes of inactivity.

ImmInst does use google ads for non-members- if the problem is caused by adblocks, there might not be much we can do.

#27 stephen_b

• Topic Starter
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

Logging in takes you to the main forum page. Can this be changed to have it take you to the forum you were in when you first logged in?

I go to supplements, log in, am sent to the forum page, go to supplements, whoops not logged in so relog in from main forum page, am sent to main supplement page, log in, go to supplements, maybe this time I'm logged in.

Here's a question: what if my IP changes after I log in? Am I logged out? If one is behind a firewall at a large corporation, maybe the IP this site sees is changing. Though this doesn't seem to be an issue with IE.

#28 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

Something is still broken here. I've cleared all cookies several times, but the "remember me" function is not working for me. Not only do I get logged out if I kill the browser, but even if my internet connection is briefly interrupted I get logged out. I'm running the latest Firefox.

#29 stephen_b

• Topic Starter
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:58 AM

At home with my static IP, I'm not seeing the issue with firefox for os x.

#30 caliban

• 9,152 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

Thanks for sending further feedback, this is an issue where it helps to hear from as many people as possible.

Sessions are logged by IP, so if your internet connection is interrupted and you start with a new IP, this could well be the route of your troubles.

(I don't have to say this I think, but just to be sure: if you are logged out from the meet & greet box, that does not affect your overall login status.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users