Photo
- - - - -

Issue staying logged in

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:11 AM

Thanks for sending further feedback, this is an issue where it helps to hear from as many people as possible.

Sessions are logged by IP, so if your internet connection is interrupted and you start with a new IP, this could well be the route of your troubles.

(I don't have to say this I think, but just to be sure: if you are logged out from the meet & greet box, that does not affect your overall login status.)

But isn't the 'remember me' function supposed to maintain a cookie that effectively bypasses the login procedure? This problem started for me with the upgrade, but my internet connection & ISP haven't changed. I'll monitor my IP and see if it's changing.

#32 stephen_b

• Topic Starter
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:10 PM

But isn't the 'remember me' function supposed to maintain a cookie that effectively bypasses the login procedure? This problem started for me with the upgrade, but my internet connection & ISP haven't changed. I'll monitor my IP and see if it's changing.

It would be great if the entire procedure was cookie based. The IP address sites see on the outside could jump around, at least at work.

#33 stephen_b

• Topic Starter
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

It's getting to the point where I am reconsidering whether or not to renew my membership in ImminstOrg due to the login issue. The forum software can be configured so as to work. Can this be fixed?

Issue: cookies are necessary but not sufficient to keep one logged in. Currently IP is also checked. This is bad. Cookies by themselves should be enough.

#34 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:08 PM

It's getting to the point where I am reconsidering whether or not to renew my membership in ImminstOrg due to the login issue. The forum software can be configured so as to work. Can this be fixed?

Issue: cookies are necessary but not sufficient to keep one logged in. Currently IP is also checked. This is bad. Cookies by themselves should be enough.

Ok, I thought maybe I was the only one with a problem regarding logins, but I see I'm not. I have a more reliable internet provider now, and my IP doesn't change randomly, so at least I'm no longer getting logged off repeatedly in one session, but "remember me" is still broken for me on my usual machine using either Firefox or IE. On my laptop using IE, it works. No amount of cookie-clearing fixes this; I've tried that repeatedly. All this trouble began with the recent upgrade. I would very much like to see it sorted out, and I imagine others are having problems who are not speaking up.

#35 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:23 PM

I don't think we can help niner on his desktop.

After clearing the cookies again, are you seeing any improvement stephen_b?

#36 stephen_b

• Topic Starter
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 02:28 PM

I don't think we can help niner on his desktop.

After clearing the cookies again, are you seeing any improvement stephen_b?

I'll try it again on Monday at work. The changing IP is probably some load balancing effort on the part of my company.

#37 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,152 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:16 PM

soo? is this still a problem for IP switchers?

#38 stephen_b

• Topic Starter
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

soo? is this still a problem for IP switchers?

Sorry for the late response. I don't have the issue anymore. Thanks for the good job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users