• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* - - - - 12 votes

Do you think plastic surgery should be banned?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Plastic Surgery Banned?! (111 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think plastic surgery should be banned?

1. Yes (10 votes [8.85%])

Percentage of vote: 8.85%

2. No (103 votes [91.15%])

Percentage of vote: 91.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 pleb

• 462 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

I agree what one person decides is good for them won't suit others, some say they wouldn't have it done, but if you are looking to rejuvenate the inside why not also the outside,
whilst i intend having a mini S face lift and bags under the eyes removed they are minor procedures compared to many others, and are also done under local anaesthetic and only takes a couple of hours, i didn't even have saggy jowls until i was in my early 60's
all of this is a personal decision taken by each individual,,

#62 tydi

• 25 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

I agree what one person decides is good for them won't suit others, some say they wouldn't have it done, but if you are looking to rejuvenate the inside why not also the outside,
whilst i intend having a mini S face lift and bags under the eyes removed they are minor procedures compared to many others, and are also done under local anaesthetic and only takes a couple of hours, i didn't even have saggy jowls until i was in my early 60's
all of this is a personal decision taken by each individual,,

Agree'd, if you think you should have it done, and it makes your quality of life better than considering the health risks and benefits i would have to come to an agreement with you. It really is in what people's personal tastes are.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 Suzaku

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:51 AM

It makes me sick that someone thinks he can tell others what they can do with their body. Having the option of plastic surgery is a symbol of freedom and equality. With the right surgeon, anyone can be beautiful. Plastic surgery equalizes beauty so the poor and middle class can look beautiful as well.
  • like x 2

#64 Shoe

• Guest, F@H
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:04 AM

Lol, no, it should absolutely not be banned. Not everyone is born attractive, unfortunately, and there's no reason why they should be denied the social benefits of being so (ok, cosmetic surgery still has its limits, of course). Sure, attractiveness is not an objective quality, but a subjective one, and it's thus completely true that it lies in the eyes of the beholder. However, the problem is that most beholders' eyes are seeing the same thing, and so attractiveness is also highly intersubjective.

#65 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:47 AM

I don't think it should be banned, at all. In fact, it helps me find a potential mate. If I find out that someone has had plastic surgery that was not medically necessary, I am much less likely to want anything to do with them, romantically, as they most likely have serious self-image problems, or a genetic deformity which I do not want to pass on to the next generation.

The reason there is a corellation between attractiveness and intelligence is that people with better genetics tend to have less imballances in the mind, and less asymmetry in the body. Our brains are naturally predisposed to see symmetry as beauty because it indicates genetic health, and that also corellates with higher intelligence. There is also the factor, of course, of people being more well off and therefore being less exposed to toxins and having better nutrition, and therefore better health, in general, but that ALSO corellates with being genetically predisposed to having better genes (comming from a long line of successful people, also thusly attractive).

It's not a perfect corellation, but it doesn't have to be. It's just a visual indicator of possible health and wellbeing. And sometimes that is misleading, because there can be beautiful dumb people, who I tread the same as plastically surgeoned dumb people. And there can be highly intelligent people who are highly unattractive, too. But, not to be rude, I'm not likely to be romantically interested in them, either.

And although I personally seriously disapprove of hiding one's genetic flaws with plastic surgery, there is also the possibility that the person just had a horrible accident, and had to get plastic surgery to fix themselves up. And that is perfectly fine. To ban plastic surgery entirely would be putting an unfair burden on people who have had broken noses, or need stitches because of a serious injury, for crying out loud!

Edited by Jeoshua, 13 January 2014 - 01:49 AM.

• dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#66 Next

• 42 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:36 AM

Should not be and will never be banned. I can imagine the days when people can get a cocktail of a drug that affects bone and cartilage structure in vivo. That would be holy grail.

#67 misterE

• 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:45 AM

Everything in this world is ass backwards; doctors using high-tech gadgets and using their special surgical skills to fix people's insecurities, instead of treating and healing people in need.
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 1

#68 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Everything in this world is ass backwards; doctors using high-tech gadgets and using their special surgical skills to fix people's insecurities, instead of treating and healing people in need.

Perhaps its better this way; I doubt they would know how to heal people.

#69 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

The reason there is a corellation between attractiveness and intelligence is that people with better genetics tend to have less imballances in the mind, and less asymmetry in the body.

Ha ha. You should meet a couple of my good looking but insane ex girlfriends...

And although I personally seriously disapprove of hiding one's genetic flaws with plastic surgery...

Would you two happen to be pretty people? Maybe what's ass backwards here is the way society treats people on the basis of how they look. Mating is one thing, but should we be nicer to people or be more likely to hire them just because they are good looking? Probably not, but that's the way it is. Given that this is the case, I think people who could benefit from plastic surgery would be crazy not to use it.

If pretty people want to make a statement about the superficiality of appearance, maybe instead of denying a decent life to people who didn't choose their parents well, they should make their point by getting "ugly surgery". That will help you find a mate who shares your disdain for the "superficial".

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#70 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

The reason there is a corellation between attractiveness and intelligence is that people with better genetics tend to have less imballances in the mind, and less asymmetry in the body. Our brains are naturally predisposed to see symmetry as beauty because it indicates genetic health, and that also corellates with higher intelligence. 

I don't know... If you look at a picture list of Nobel Prizes and other brilliant minds, most of them aren't exactly fashion model worthy. In fact many of them are quite plain and banal looking.

Like Niner, I have also had some very attractive GFs in the past, and a few of them were some of the most imbalanced , if not downright psychotic people I've ever met ( It was one of those cases were my dick was stronger than my brain, and made me ignore some blatant signs of "Uh oh.." when I first met them ).

In fact, being in an artistic profession had led me to often professionaly cross path with a lot of beautiful girls ( actresses, dancers, models ), and my observations were the opposite of the supposed correlation of beauty and intelligence. I was shocked at how often the cliché of the "dumb bimbo" happened to be real, despite me refusing such common popular sayings. Most of the stunning looking girls I've interacted with were also some of the dumbest as well.

It made me really think that this cliché had some truth behind it. And the best explaination I could find is this : Attractive people, but especially women, cut through life without much social resistance, because most people they encounter fall under the spell of their appearance and therefore they get what they want with less resistance than usual. Having fewer obstacles to overcome than "regular looking" people, their intelligence doesn't get the opportunity to be challenged, therefore doesn't grow and develop as much as people who had to use every bit of their brain to survive in society. Just like any muscle, if your brain doesn't get challenged and pushed, it doesn't grow.

Society puts usually more pressure on women to be beautiful than on men. Attractive men, especially in western societies,  will probably be in the same case as I described for women ( less social obstacles ) but society usually expects men to be financially and academically successful as well, therefore their looks don't help as much and their intelligence is usually more challenged by obstacles, and therefore has more opportuninties to grow. Wich is why there are slightly less "dumb bimbo" guys than "dumb bimbo" girls.

I remember a female friend of  mine, a musician who happens to be quite good looking and very intelligent and educated as well with many universities diplomas, who told me about how her abusive father used to diminish her when she was a kid, constantly telling her that she was very ugly and no man would want her and that she would better be brilliant in her studies if she wanted to survive in life. And for a long time she was obsessed by her supposed ugliness and how that was a drive to be as brilliant as possible to conpensate for it...

Edited by BlueCloud, 19 April 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#71 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

Would you two happen to be pretty people? Maybe what's ass backwards here is the way society treats people on the basis of how they look. Mating is one thing, but should we be nicer to people or be more likely to hire them just because they are good looking? Probably not, but that's the way it is. Given that this is the case, I think people who could benefit from plastic surgery would be crazy not to use it.

I might happen to be, depending on what one considers pretty. I certainly look younger than my chronological age, to the point I'm trying to grow out a beard to compensate. It is not that pretty people are better, just that it points to having fewer genetic abnormalities. I, too, have a few ex girlfriends for whom this rule gets broken, so it is certainly an imperfect measurement.

#72 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:01 PM

Oh, so the freedom for someone to do something stupid and ruin themselves?

Yes, ABSO-FRICKING-LUTELY!!!

Unless you want someone to have the ability to prevent you from accessing the internet because it might cause you to harm yourself if you see a video of an ISIS beheading.

Or unless you want someone to have the ability to just ban Longecity.

Act like a grown-up and realize that people have to take responsibility for their actions -- trying to protect them from plastic surgery with NANNY STATISM is ridiculous on its face (couldn't help being cheeky -- oh nose I did it again -- urrg can't stop)

#73 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:07 PM

You need to read Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Maltz, MD (plastic Surgeon) -- who made the connection decades ago between self image -- and mental health.

He documents the drastic changes that occur in the psyche of someone that undergoes plastic surgery.

Who are you to determine how someone should look? -- Perception is reality to them -- if they think they are ugly -- TO THEM THEY ARE, and no amount of talking about it will help -- nip tuck -- magic.

I find it astonishing that Americans by and large have no problem wanting a car like the rich and famous have, a MC Mansion, clothes and bling -- yet when someone wants Halle Barry's nose, or Angelina Jolie's lips -- they get all bent out of shape.

• Agree x 1

#74 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

# 44% of women say they disapprove of cosmetic surgery

Ones that don''t have the money for the Nose Job, or Boob Job, or Liposuction that they really want

# 43% of men say they disapprove of cosmetic surgery

The ones that don't have money to get their wife or girlfriend the Nose Job, or Boob Job, or Liposuction that they really want.

Or the ones that paid for their wife or girlfriend to get the Nose Job, or Boob Job, or Liposuction that they really want. and got dumped.

#75 sensei

• 929 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 02:18 PM

Sure it's a great risk, but if you do a lot of research to find the right doctor and the right procedure to be done I think it's a great way for those of us born with ugly features to get a fair chance in the dating arena :)

[shameless flirting]

If your avatar pic is really you, you have no need for any plastic surgery. 

[/shameless flirting]

#76 Boopy!

• 201 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:34 AM

I just skimmed this because It reminded me of the female comedian who joked that celebs should be forced to take lie detector tests when asked if they had had plastic surgery  (so many more than many realize have had it,   I am for this fun lie detection!   I was shocked when my LA friends,  mostly makeup artists and hairstylists,   filled me in on who did what!)  Well I think what IS required is way,  way more legislation for plastic surgeons which is pretty much the Wild West still,  very unregulated,  with all kinds of evil tricks and loopholes created by lawyers that favor only the doctors.   Patients who want a procedure that could end up deadly have to sign away their rights before ever getting stuff done,  filming is NOT allowed during surgery (and doctors have been known to hand over the procedure to interns who haven't a clue what they are doing)  and I know personally of someone who had her life destroyed and was nearly killed when getting her breasts reduced.    She was talked into lipo at the same time and the doctor walked out of the room to talk on the phone and had someone else finish the surgery and my friend almost died,   so I know more than bit about how the laws are made to protect mostly the doctors,  and patients are basically sitting ducks.   Doctors are no longer the heroes they were to me when I was a kid,  and if you read the scary stuff I have read about what goes on I am pretty sure you would agree.  So I think what is called for is far more regulation but the other thing is that it is VERY hard to sue a plastic surgeon,  since most procedures are elective and it is so hard to prove anything went wrong unless someone dies -- and even then people tend not to sue.    And plastic surgery kind of prays on people who are desperate to be beautiful,  kind of perpetuates intellectual laziness.  I even wonder if it makes people who would work out and strive to be the best they can be to rely too much on useless procedures.    I think they are pretty much horribly useless.   There is something to be said for the journey,  the hard WORK of getting the best body you can,  the best look you can,  the best mind you can --  on your own merit,  rather than using outside crap.  Just as you cannot pop a pill to change everything internally without any exercise or healthy habits,  you cannot attain that true emotional health or real beauty that comes from YOU -- in other words,  as artists have tried to tell us since the beginning,  the answer is in our own backyards,  and the idea of that "easy fix"  might be nice sounding but rarely does it come out right.   It's kind of like an addiction and a very dangerous one at that;   I bet aliens would watch people mutilating their faces and think how sad we are.  It really is an awful,  awful thing that has become worse when you look at the overall culture of it.   And it seems people want the easy way and more and more of that "pill"  of surgery,  when it works a little,  when it doesn't work,  when they are down....just like with drugs.  Lady Gaga and many others have talked about becoming addicted to fillers and Botox.   She kept getting her lips done until a manager told her she had to wait for it to go down before performing because she looked and even sounded not like herself.   I don't see how people can think it's a good thing and it HAS absolutely gotten out of control,   certainly in America I think it has.

One more thing -- does anyone else think it's kind of interesting how this site occasionally intersects with the PUA type thinking  (I think that's what it's called -- you know,  that obsessive male-hate site that Elliott Rodgers in California was involved in)  which has a frightening focus on the idea that your genetics are all,  that if you don't have a certain kind of symmetrical face you should die,  etc.?    They are the new Neo-Nazis,   scary.

• Disagree x 1

#77 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 October 2020 - 09:58 PM

You have "freedom" in your name and you want to ban plastic surgery?

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with pictures of post-op swelling, bad makeup, and bad lighting.

Freedom does not mean that you can do anything and go kill people. I think it is horrible that people take advantage of other people's insecurities and make money. Plastic surgery should only be used in the event of an accident to the person face or if he/she is born with a mutation that causes the person to look abnormal. When I was looking for a private doctor to help me deal with my health issues, all I came across was private places for Botox injections, plastic surgery, breast implants and so on and so forth, and I only managed to find one place that helps with real health problems and was hours away. Real hospitals do not do this. People that wanna change their face just because they feel insecure about it should get therapy help for their mental illness. What does that say about our world today? It is easier to get private help to change your appearance but if you have health problems you are out of luck, or have harder time finding help + more expensive. etc. Government hospitals are useless and do not give you what you want(waste your time a lot with other unnecessary things). But when you go private you can get what you want fast and easy without the headache that comes with arguing with the doctor to get what you want because they just want money.

Edited by kurdishfella, 19 October 2020 - 10:01 PM.

#78 rodentman

• 208 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:16 PM

I am personally against plastic surgery, except for extreme circumstances, but I would never advocate banning it.

If an adult wants to mutilate their body, they have the right to do so.   It should be reasonably regulated... and maybe some sort of counseling... but that's about it.

#79 jakeb

• 16 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 10:39 PM

I know this is an old thread, but wow. The majority of plastic surgery goes very well. And the reason you only the see the bad ones is because the good ones go so well. 

#80 mhillgizmo

• 21 posts

Posted 08 January 2021 - 10:41 PM

What a ridiculous thought...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users