* - - - - 1 votes

List of human studies showing effect or not

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

Except that we have some careful measurements that have been made supporting Kenj's observations. Cyclist in need of Mitochondrial Biogenesis; the numbers that I observed using a cylcing ergonometer (one with with lab accuracy) support this; I never was able to get similar results with ALA and ALCAR.

More anecdotal evidence. Regardless, if resveratrol does in fact improve some sorts of sport performance that does not mean that it is good for health or longevity, compare anabolic steroids. It should also be noted that both carnitine and CoQ10 has peer-reviewed human studies suggesting enhanced sports performance, every one of them worth more than the anecodatal claims from a coach on a web forum. Sure, regarding sports performance there are other studies suggesting no effects, so the effect may not exist or be related to a particular sport and its requirements. But this just shows the importance of large, multiple, carefully controlled, double-blind, placebo-controlled, human studies and that very little weight should be given to the anecdotal claims on a web forum.

The references you gave are secondary, the studies mostly in vitro, and sometimes contradicted by other studies, and on the whole not more convincing than those studies we have for resveratrol.

That is simply outright false. What are the "mostly in virto" studies in this link for example:
https://healthlibrar...kiid=21450#ref1

Observational studies -- and many of the reports we have here amount to that -- are valid, though dirtier than controlled double blind testing. Here resveratrol's effects are noted by a coach realizing something unusual is going on in his athletes, he grills them, and finds they have been taking resveratrol supplements. After asking for information in this forum, he then tries to measure the effect in his own regimen. To his surprise, he notes nothing until the third periodization training cycle, where despite continued increase in training intensity he notes performance improvement that would be obtained with a slow taper. Not something one would expect. Placebo effects are generally noted at the onset of a study, and tend to disappear with time.

So you consider the ancedotal reports regarding the homeopathic supplements valid? Regarding the cyclists, see first response.

This is somewhat more than anecdotal, where actual measurements are involved. The coach's report is not anecdotal, in that he was measuring hiis athletes, and found performance variations inconsistent with their past performance, and was able to replicate the results in his own training, and elucidated an unexpected characteristic of the effect. While not a double blind study, the gol standard, this qualifies as an observational sudy, and his measurements are careful enough it could be written up as such in a journal. It is quite different from the homeopathic stories, far beyond I"I took a pill and I fee the energy".

You link is still secondary. And just because the references it points to are published, this still means little; even hmeopathic studies get published. You have to look at multiple studies, and nt cherr-pick the favorable ones.

As far as your preferred supplements go, while I they are on my short list of possibly beneficial substances, I do not find the published evidenceas referenced in pub med to be any more convincing than the evidence for resveratrol. The evidence that resveratrol induces mitochondrial biogenesis is extremely strong. The decline of mitochondria is a critical defect that comes with aging. Anything that improves mitochondrial health is likely to be anti-aging. Sports improvement is a side effect, but one we can measure that provides favorable evidence.

#32 Blue

• Topic Starter
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

Observational studies -- and many of the reports we have here amount to that -- are valid, though dirtier than controlled double blind testing. Here resveratrol's effects are noted by a coach realizing something unusual is going on in his athletes, he grills them, and finds they have been taking resveratrol supplements. After asking for information in this forum, he then tries to measure the effect in his own regimen. To his surprise, he notes nothing until the third periodization training cycle, where despite continued increase in training intensity he notes performance improvement that would be obtained with a slow taper. Not something one would expect. Placebo effects are generally noted at the onset of a study, and tend to disappear with time.

So you consider the ancedotal reports regarding the homeopathic supplements valid? Regarding the cyclists, see first response.

This is somewhat more than anecdotal, where actual measurements are involved. The coach's report is not anecdotal, in that he was measuring hiis athletes, and found performance variations inconsistent with their past performance, and was able to replicate the results in his own training, and elucidated an unexpected characteristic of the effect. While not a double blind study, the gol standard, this qualifies as an observational sudy, and his measurements are careful enough it could be written up as such in a journal. It is quite different from the homeopathic stories, far beyond I"I took a pill and I fee the energy".

You link is still secondary. And just because the references it points to are published, this still means little; even hmeopathic studies get published. You have to look at multiple studies, and nt cherr-pick the favorable ones.

As far as your preferred supplements go, while I they are on my short list of possibly beneficial substances, I do not find the published evidenceas referenced in pub med to be any more convincing than the evidence for resveratrol. The evidence that resveratrol induces mitochondrial biogenesis is extremely strong. The decline of mitochondria is a critical defect that comes with aging. Anything that improves mitochondrial health is likely to be anti-aging. Sports improvement is a side effect, but one we can measure that provides favorable evidence.

The claims of an anonymous poster called "RidetoLive" posted a web forum would certainly not qualify in a peer-reviewed study and is worth less than a single published case report made by a non-anonymous researcher. Very much worth less than the peer-reviewed studies regarding sports performance for carnitine and coq10, see earlier comment.

You claimed "the studies mostly in vitro" but but all or nearly all of the 112 studies in the link are human studies. Around a hundred studies (more if also including the LPI human studies in the other carnitine link + many others not listed) qualifies as multiple as compared to 1 for reseveratrol. I fail to see any evidence of cherry-picking, both positive and negative results are reported.

Agree that mitochondria very likely is important for aging. But nice theory does not mean actual effects. Many substances with nice theories and nice animal studies are rejected when tested in human, placebo controlled studies due to side effects or lacking beneficial effects. But if you want nice theory then the 3 substances I mentioned all enhance mitochondrial function.

Edited by Michael, 29 August 2009 - 03:04 PM.
Trim quotes

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Blue

• Topic Starter
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:16 PM

So you consider the ancedotal reports regarding the homeopathic supplements valid?

Of course not. iherb comments are almost exclusively fluff. They are less than worthless. The contributors to this forum are a very different population, however. Many of us are experienced scientists who understand the concepts of placebo effect, standards of evidence and the like. I can appreciate that you don't want to put much weight on anything except a robustly powered controlled clinical trial. I am not willing to put myself a decade behind the curve waiting for such studies when I already have a variety of evidences of efficacy. I have the training to evaluate the available evidence; if I did not, I might be more more tempted to wait for large controlled studies that may be decades away. Please don't equate me with pinheads who take infinitely diluted homeopathic "remedies".

Lets assume that resveratrol has good effects. Should one not be concerned regarding possible negative effects? Growth hormone and testosterone in supraphysiologic doses cause many quickly noticed good effects (and caused quite a hype when introduced) while the negative ones may be more subtle or initially seem to be minor compared to good ones.

#34 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

Lets assume that resveratrol has good effects. Should one not be concerned regarding possible negative effects? Growth hormone and testosterone in supraphysiologic doses cause many quickly noticed good effects (and caused quite a hype when introduced) while the negative ones may be more subtle or initially seem to be minor compared to good ones.

Sure, negative effects are always a concern. We are aware of aromatase inhibition issues, GI problems, possible negative outcomes in autoimmune patients... We are all concerned about the risk reward trade-off. My personal approach has been to be somewhat conservative in dosing. I think that a lot of us have backed off from earlier high doses, finding that a sub-gram regime is useful. Anyway, your concerns are reasonable, but we're not ignoring them.

#35 kilgoretrout

• 245 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

]... The contributors to this forum are a very different population, however. Many of us are experienced scientists who understand the concepts of placebo effect, standards of evidence and the like. I can appreciate that you don't want to put much weight on anything except a robustly powered controlled clinical trial. I am not willing to put myself a decade behind the curve waiting for such studies when I already have a variety of evidences of efficacy. I have the training to evaluate the available evidence...

Well, then, let's just throw the scientific method out the window!

1) kissing up to readers of the forum, boosting their egos to sway them toward his opinion
2) blatant hucksterism
3) absolutely worthless argument from authority

"I have the training to evaluate the available evidence..."

ROTFL!!!!! You do not! No one does. What a bunch of BS! No matter how much of a genius you think you are, reading research papers about some test-tube results does not give one person any special superhuman powers to know in advance the outcome of scientifically designed, statistically adjusted, long-term, high N (# subjects), double-blind, placebo-controlled, peer-reviewed, outcome-oriented in-vivo research results!

Yes, we are a bunch of smart people here, too smart I hope to swallow such a swaggering self-aggrandizing claim, clearly intended to convince more people to buy resveratrol.

Say, by the way, I asked malbecman if he worked for someone who made or sold resveratrol products and he conspicuously never denied it.

How about you, niner???

Perhaps I should also have included in the question "farms Japanese Knotweed"

#36 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:40 PM

Oh boy K...

I have to say that your paranoia about folks here on this thread is something else. I have to say, there have been some attempts by at least two other "resveratrol" companies to market things, bash, or become unruly by using "puppet" accounts, and this board has done a pretty good job overall to stop this from happening, even if people try to mask their (ejem) japanese proxy and such. I have to hand it to some of the Navigators here, they can find you out if you try to play these kind of tricks.

However, as of today, I appear to be the only person speaking for any retail resveratrol company on this board. As a matter of fact, I will still talk to you even though you hide under your member name rather than show your true name to the public like I do. I am pretty open about my business, and who I am.

I suppose I should not make direct "marketing" posts to folks here since you are pretty much against that. However I do like yours here, maybe I can use it in the future, then again maybe not:

Just try it... I don't give a damn about any theoretical protestations... just try it, mates. A powerful tool in the arsenal, at least for most, it seems. If it does not work for you then fine, throw it away."

Folks can look at all your older posts and find some informative, funny and very opinionated stuff. You seem to be a good member, even though your paranoia may get the best of you at times.

Cheers
A

#37 kismet

• 2,984 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:56 PM

You really need to read this thred: Why did resveratrol not extend the lifespan of mice? Sinclair's study revisited; with a different strain of mouse resveratrol may well have extended rodents' lifespan.

As I stated and more importantly MR probably also noted, your hypothesis is appealing and entirely plausible (at least so it seems), but it's still a hypothesis.

None of the studies you cited make a stronger case than the one for resveratrol, which is admittedly weaker than the case for most FDA approved drugs.

I don't think you know the FDA that well, do you? Apart from some blunders and deliberately releasing cancer drugs via fast-track, no, the FDA demands incredible amounts of evidence from well-designed trials. The amounts are so huge that our libertarians are foaming at the mouth whenever anyone mentions the strict FDA regulation. But the FDA will be used as an example of all the bad things whatever they do.  :p

Blue, sometimes I love your posts (I think you pointed out the recent review of MK-4, didn't you? That was great).  Scepticism is always nice.
The supplements you mentioned are not my cup of tea, so let me use another example: the research on vitamin K & D and vascular health is certainly more advanced and promising at this very moment than Resv. Although, this does not mean that people cannot bet on resveratrol working well in humans, or does it?

ROTFL!!!!! You do not! No one does. What a bunch of BS! No matter how much of a genius you think you are, reading research papers about some test-tube results does not give one person any special superhuman powers to know in advance the outcome of scientifically designed, statistically adjusted, long-term, high N (# subjects), double-blind, placebo-controlled, peer-reviewed, outcome-oriented in-vivo research results!

If preclinical research has no value, how are drugs developed again? Randomly? Sure in vitro alone is pretty much (random) hit & miss, but there is other preclinical in vivo work with resveratrol so you are definitely exaggerating.

#38 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:26 AM

fwow. Acetyl-l-carnitine is not available in Canada; health Canada fears possible long-term side effects. They seem to have no such concern with resveratrol. :D

And Kismet, my point is that resveratrol is not so well studied as to receive FDA approval! You seem to have stood that on its head. There are no long term studies in humans on resveratrol, nor on ALCAR, ALA, melatonin and a host of other things cavalierly touted as life extending supplements. From what I see of resveratrol, its mode of action and effects in vitro, and life-span studies in lower organisms, I am willing to gamble that the benefits will for me will outweigh what I consider to be an unlikely risk. Others are free to differ in your evaluation.

And blue, what I do not understand is Varför har du en svenska Internet-leverantör, men verkar inte förstå svenska? Or do you?

Edited by maxwatt, 14 August 2009 - 06:58 PM.

#39 kilgoretrout

• 245 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:35 AM

Anthony, you discuss taking resveratrol and RG's other products, and getting blood tests, etc. But I don't remember what you said your personal "anecdotal reports" are about them, personal experience and impressions thoughts and feelings about results you feel you are getting versus what you hoped for etc. I promise I will assume you are telling the truth and not fibbing to promote sales. I assume they are here in the threads somewhere, I will have to go look for them.

That would be of more interest to me than hypothetical transpositions of test-tube research to people and encouraging them to buy and take it on that basis, as some sort of attempted end-run around the scientific process powered by sheer hutzpah. OK, maybe niner was just saying his confidence in his own ability to interpret and project cell studies is high enough to convince him that he wants to take it. I guess he was not trying to "argue from authority" and prove efficacy & safety by pure logic to talk others into using it... that is what it sounded like to me on first read and the only reason someone would do that is if they were selling it... but no, he was just saying those are his conclusions for himself, period. So I guess I was too hard on him.

But whenever someone asserts strenuously and repeatedly we should believe their hypothetical projections because they are that smart and have scientific training or whatever and suggests we all ignore lack of human research and just buy the stuff... naturally I start to question their motives... personal reports, cool, but when it becomes some sort of process of convincing and encouraging others... yellow flag to me, whether its a forum about supplements or stereo equipment.

So far as my sometimes attitude, hey a little confrontational trash talk and challenge to "Oh, yea? Well prove it", a bit of grappling and wrastling, is good for you! I'm just trying to get you guys on the mat and give you a little exercise. I wouldn't be here if I didn't like you. :p

#40 maxwatt

• 4,949 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:43 AM

Anthony, you discuss taking resveratrol and RG's other products, and getting blood tests, etc. But I don't remember what you said your personal "anecdotal reports" are about them, personal experience and impressions thoughts and feelings about results you feel you are getting versus what you hoped for etc. I promise I will assume you are telling the truth and not fibbing to promote sales. I assume they are here in the threads somewhere, I will have to go look for them.

That would be of more interest to me than hypothetical transpositions of test-tube research to people and encouraging them to buy and take it on that basis, as some sort of attempted end-run around the scientific process powered by sheer hutzpah. OK, maybe niner was just saying his confidence in his own ability to interpret and project cell studies is high enough to convince him that he wants to take it. I guess he was not trying to "argue from authority" and prove efficacy & safety by pure logic to talk others into using it... that is what it sounded like to me on first read and the only reason someone would do that is if they were selling it... but no, he was just saying those are his conclusions for himself, period. So I guess I was too hard on him.

But whenever someone asserts strenuously and repeatedly we should believe their hypothetical projections because they are that smart and have scientific training or whatever and suggests we all ignore lack of human research and just buy the stuff... naturally I start to question their motives... personal reports, cool, but when it becomes some sort of process of convincing and encouraging others... yellow flag to me, whether its a forum about supplements or stereo equipment.

So far as my sometimes attitude, hey a little confrontational trash talk and challenge to "Oh, yea? Well prove it", a bit of grappling and wrastling, is good for you! I'm just trying to get you guys on the mat and give you a little exercise. I wouldn't be here if I didn't like you. :p

There is a supplement you may be interested in, though it is not thoroughly tested, preliminary reports are encouraging. It is an extract from a plant in the mint family, it helps confrontational people like yourself to "chill" a bit. We call it "Vehe-mint". Perhaps someone can market it in the form of a "chewing gum for angry people."

Edited by maxwatt, 14 August 2009 - 06:56 PM.

#41 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:44 AM

ROTFL!!!!! You do not! No one does. What a bunch of BS!

Damn, I have fooled many over the years, but you are on to me.

such a swaggering self-aggrandizing claim, clearly intended to convince more people to buy resveratrol.

My wife thinks it's a step up from selling weed...

How about you, niner???

ahem... shuffle... (looks at shoes...)

#42 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

Say, by the way, I asked malbecman if he worked for someone who made or sold resveratrol products and he conspicuously never denied it.

Kilgoretrout, I assure you that I have no commercial interest in resveratrol or any of its products, other than what I buy for my own personal use. I work for a major
research university as a matter of fact. I simply chose to ignore your initial query because I usually do not have much time nor do I enjoy responding to trolls....

#43 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

The list you mention (carnitine, lipoic acid, and coq10) have so little to support them in the way of human trials -- not to mention conflicting results -- that they can't be recommended as having science behind them either.

But regarding age related diseases there numerous placebo-controlled human studies for these mitochondrial enhancers against many different age-related diseases. Not necessarily all of them big or or high quality studies. But far more than one (1) which seems to be the case for resveratrol.

... and one that was in a small number of sick people, and has never passed the basic hurdle of peer review.

You really need to read this thred: Why did resveratrol not extend the lifespan of mice? Sinclair's study revisited; with a different strain of mouse resveratrol may well have extended rodents' lifespan.

I'd urge that folks also read a contrary analysis.

Go ahead and use the placebo of your choice. I'm happy with mine.

But resveratrol, for good or ill, is clearly not a placebo, but a pharmacological agent of still ill-characterized effects; and the pills Blue discusses are demonstrably not placebos either, and we do have at least some sense of their safety and efficacy in humans.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#44 Blue

• Topic Starter
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

" Since 2008, at least five human studies have been presented at scientific meetings showing human benefits... ...Human data include a 100-person placebo-controlled study by Sirtris Pharmaceuticals Inc. that found lowered blood-glucose levels in diabetics who took the GlaxoSmithKline unit's proprietary formulation, SRT501, not yet on the market.

A 19-person study presented earlier this month at a British scientific conference, sponsored by Royal DSM, found that "flow mediated dilation," a measure of cardiovascular health, increased an hour after taking resVida. At an American College of Sports Medicine conference last year, Dr. Maroon and colleagues reported that a three-month study of 51 people found a resveratrol-containing supplement not currently on the market increased endurance on a stationary bicycle compared with a placebo, and also increased verbal memory scores on a standardized test.

And in a report published earlier this month in the journal Optometry, researchers found that five months' therapy with a Longevinex, a supplement sold by Resveratrol Partners LLC of Las Vegas, resulted in significant improvement of vision of an 80-year-old man who was having difficulty with night driving. The visual measures were subjective but researchers also found a significant decrease in lipofuscin, a granular substance that builds up in aging tissues and is linked to vision decline, says researcher Stuart Richer, chief of optometry at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in North Chicago. Resveratrol Partners provided the supplements taken by the patient, says Dr. Richer, and he has agreed to conduct a company-funded 24-person follow-up study."
http://online.wsj.co...=googlenews_wsj

5 unpublished? "studies", even if accepting that a one person with no controls taking a preparation containing multiple substances beside resveratrol can be a study, is still pathetically little compared to most supplements.

Edited by Blue, 18 January 2010 - 09:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users