Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

New stem cell theory of aging

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VinceG

• 48 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:11 PM

I have added a new (14th) theory of aging to my treatise ANTI-AGING FIREWALLS - THE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY OF LONGEVITY. The theory is called Stem Cell Supply Chain Breakdown and you can find a comprehensive discussion of it and its relationship to other theories of aging by following the given link. "This theory holds that aging is due in large or major part to a breakdown in the healthy functioning of the stem cell supply chain. This breakdown may be due to problems in replication or differentiation of critical stem cell populations, depletions of such populations due to aging or pathological conditions, or age-related shutdown of key parts of the supply chain." Also I have posted an addendum to the theory in a long September 25 2009 blog entry The stem cell supply chain - closing the loop for very long lives.

Insofar as I know this theory is a new and original way of looking at aging, in large part based on very recent research. I welcome feedback and discussion about this work.
Vince Giuliano vegiuliano@comcast.net

#2 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:51 AM

I'll definitelly check it out. You are a great guy Vince, keep up the good work!

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:36 AM

Well researched. When I have some time I want to take a closer look at your ideas. :p

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 02:23 PM

Don't know if it's rellevant, but reading this - " Adult stem cells live in niches - stem cell microenvironments and the health of the stem cells and their ability to reproduce or differentiate both depend upon and condition the states of their niches. " - I remembered an experiment where old mice muscle was supplied with young blood, and muscle satellite cells acted like young again.

#5 VinceG

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:07 PM

Don't know if it's rellevant, but reading this - " Adult stem cells live in niches - stem cell microenvironments and the health of the stem cells and their ability to reproduce or differentiate both depend upon and condition the states of their niches. " - I remembered an experiment where old mice muscle was supplied with young blood, and muscle satellite cells acted like young again.

VidX
Actually I think that is quite relevant and, if my memory serves me right, that effect has been observed for stem cells under several circumstances. Something like that also holds for old guys with young girl friends. No kidding; it has been studied. Check out my blog post * Impact on longevity of older men being with younger women and frequent sexual intercourse

#6 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:40 PM

Vince, you are an inspiration to us all. (All the guys, anyway...)

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 VinceG

• Topic Starter
  • 48 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 02:28 AM

VidX
Actually I think that is quite relevant and, if my memory serves me right, that effect has been observed for stem cells under several circumstances. Something like that also holds for old guys with young girl friends. No kidding; it has been studied. Check out my blog post * Impact on longevity of older men being with younger women and frequent sexual intercourse

I just ran again across a publication relevant to this discussion Rejuvenation of aged progenitor cells by exposure to a young systemic environment.
It is at http://www.rifters.c...egeneration.pdf and characterized aged progenitor cells as suffering from a decline in notch signaling. Companionship of the younger cells restores the notch signaling. See my blog post Niche, Notch and Nudge about the role of notch signaling in stem cells.
Vince

#8 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

Yes Vince, that's the one I was talking about. Thanks for the link, a good chance to refresh my memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users