Photo
- - - - -

ssri trouble, please help

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 xzibit

• 24 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hi all, i've taken a few ssri's in the past for depression/anxiety which all worked very well. I stopped taking them for no good reason and last winter i went on mirtazapine for 3 months which wasn't that effective. Went back to the ssri's again, first citalopram, initally started working but 2 weeks into it went rapidly downhill with severe depression and panic. Went off it at 3 weeks and started zoloft again.A rapid improvement and was fine again after 4 days and then a total crash again with depression/anxiety. Stayed on this for about 7 wks and improved as i lowered the dose. Stayed off meds for 3 months over summmer. Had to go back on them though trying lexapro and prozac, same patten each time, an imrovement from the start, fine for a brief period, then total crash. Not on anything at the mo, feel a bit depressed and anxious/overstimulated with sleep problems. Never feel tired or relaxed. I got a script for cybalta last wk but am half afraid to try it. I just hope i dont have any damage of any kind as i dabbled with mdma/speed for a short while years ago. Not too familiar with receptor downregulation, could this be a possible problem here? Would lithium help or switching to a different class of antidepressant altgether? Theres a new drug here in a few wks called agomelatine which works on melatonin and not serotonin, it looks promising. I hope something will work anyway but this worries me. The psychiatrist said this can happen but doesn't know why. Any help from you good people much appreciated

#2 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:54 PM

Hi all, i've taken a few ssri's in the past for depression/anxiety which all worked very well. I stopped taking them for no good reason and last winter i went on mirtazapine for 3 months which wasn't that effective. Went back to the ssri's again, first citalopram, initally started working but 2 weeks into it went rapidly downhill with severe depression and panic. Went off it at 3 weeks and started zoloft again.A rapid improvement and was fine again after 4 days and then a total crash again with depression/anxiety. Stayed on this for about 7 wks and improved as i lowered the dose. Stayed off meds for 3 months over summmer. Had to go back on them though trying lexapro and prozac, same patten each time, an imrovement from the start, fine for a brief period, then total crash. Not on anything at the mo, feel a bit depressed and anxious/overstimulated with sleep problems. Never feel tired or relaxed. I got a script for cybalta last wk but am half afraid to try it. I just hope i dont have any damage of any kind as i dabbled with mdma/speed for a short while years ago. Not too familiar with receptor downregulation, could this be a possible problem here? Would lithium help or switching to a different class of antidepressant altgether? Theres a new drug here in a few wks called agomelatine which works on melatonin and not serotonin, it looks promising. I hope something will work anyway but this worries me. The psychiatrist said this can happen but doesn't know why. Any help from you good people much appreciated

I would suggest agomelatine as it works by antagonizing 5HT2C (one of the bad serotonin receptors) and hasnt got any bad side effects. As it works differend then SSRI's you may not have the tolerance issue.

Its strange that you keep developing tolerance to the SSRI's, it takes a while for them to work as the serotonin agonizes the bad 5HT1A autoreceptors, 5HT2A and 5HT2C receptors, after receptor downregulation the antidepressants start working, but it seems like some particular receptor is the culprit for you so in the end the cascade of those events start agonizing/antagonizing some bad serotonin receptor.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:32 AM

do you take d3?

#4 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

Simple ask for a MAO inhibitor or augmentation. Your shrink will understand both of these. You can't stay on MAOs for long - too risky.

Lithium !? ... oh my goodness ... don't every touch that stuff at all. Ever, ever, ever: You need to be very frank about your symptoms.

#5 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

Simple ask for a MAO inhibitor or augmentation. Your shrink will understand both of these. You can't stay on MAOs for long - too risky.

Lithium !? ... oh my goodness ... don't every touch that stuff at all. Ever, ever, ever: You need to be very frank about your symptoms.

Why would staying on a maoi too risky? Just dont eat tyramine containing food, thats definatly wort it if your maoi is working!
Warning: Do not ad a maoi and ssri togheter as this could kill you.

#6 xzibit

• Topic Starter
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm not familiar with d3 yoyo what is it? I dont think lithium is that bad is it, just a blood test every 3 months or so? I would have no problem taking an MAOI if i had to. My shrink says he hasn't prescribed one of those in over 20 yrs! Last resort and life changing he said. I live in ireland and its only parnate is available now.(think nardil may be better) But just some foods to avoid and should be no probs with long term use. Would try agomelatine first though. I think its serotonin receptor issue, 1a, 1b, i guess. Is 5ht 2c a 'bad receptor'?

#7 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:31 PM

Thats a problem - not considering augmentation.

They could be a problem. Agomelatine.. good luck.

Edited by matthias7, 19 October 2009 - 07:33 PM.

#8 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:39 PM

lithium - unlikely. If it was you wouldn't be using SSRIs - unless there's a misdiagnosis.

#9 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:39 PM

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm not familiar with d3 yoyo what is it? I dont think lithium is that bad is it, just a blood test every 3 months or so? I would have no problem taking an MAOI if i had to. My shrink says he hasn't prescribed one of those in over 20 yrs! Last resort and life changing he said. I live in ireland and its only parnate is available now.(think nardil may be better) But just some foods to avoid and should be no probs with long term use. Would try agomelatine first though. I think its serotonin receptor issue, 1a, 1b, i guess. Is 5ht 2c a 'bad receptor'?

5HT2C is a bad receptor yes, agomelatine antagonizes it. Just antagonizing it has shown it to be better then regular SSRI's, without all the side effects.

#10 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

vitamin d, specifically d3 form, cholecalciferol

i would try other classes of drugs, its hard to guess ahead of time which would work. lithium is one possibility, sure, as are MAOIs, which are very effective

#11 xzibit

• Topic Starter
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:22 PM

Cheers. What type of augmentation strategy would suit here do you think? ssri+lithium? Agomelatine+ssri? I have also tried effexor before (5 yrs ago)with moderate success at best. Also have tried prothiaden(tricyclic) a few yrs ago with awful results. Maybe its better to dump the ssris for the moment. How about going on an MAOI for 6 months+ and seeing will ssri's work again afterwards? Thanks for the advice

#12 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:04 PM

Cheers. What type of augmentation strategy would suit here do you think? ssri+lithium? Agomelatine+ssri? I have also tried effexor before (5 yrs ago)with moderate success at best. Also have tried prothiaden(tricyclic) a few yrs ago with awful results. Maybe its better to dump the ssris for the moment. How about going on an MAOI for 6 months+ and seeing will ssri's work again afterwards? Thanks for the advice

MAOI's are extremely effective so i do suggest going on them if you dont mind the dieteray restrictions and know not to take any recreational substance.

#13 xzibit

• Topic Starter
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

I think agomelatine is worth a shot first, if that fails then perhaps an MAOI or augmentation. Is nardil the best MAOI?

#14 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:57 AM

I think agomelatine is worth a shot first, if that fails then perhaps an MAOI or augmentation. Is nardil the best MAOI?

For some ppl nardil is best, for others parnate.

#15 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:30 AM

Okay I'm beginning to get the picture. Obviously we don't know the diagnosis, so its difficult to say much more, but the pattern is looking clearer.

Lith + ssri is unlikely to be prescribed in this day and age. It was popular I think (80s?), I doubt that would be presented to you as an option.

Oh a MAOI switch will require a complete washout - so you'll need support system in place.

Good luck.

#16 xzibit

• Topic Starter
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:15 PM

The diagnosis is anxiety/depression/panic which will need chemical assistance. Not severe at the moment though thank god. At the mo i take omega 3, i think it does help and i ordered lithium orotate last wk from iherb, people say its good. Haven't taken any meds in almost 4 wks so no problem with washout if an MAOI was started. Lithium is still used a lot in my country. How effective is agomelatine does anybody know, in comparison to ssri's lets say? Ago targets 5H2c receptor as apposed to 1A,1B, 2C with ssri's correct?

#17 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:13 PM

The diagnosis is anxiety/depression/panic which will need chemical assistance. Not severe at the moment though thank god. At the mo i take omega 3, i think it does help and i ordered lithium orotate last wk from iherb, people say its good. Haven't taken any meds in almost 4 wks so no problem with washout if an MAOI was started. Lithium is still used a lot in my country. How effective is agomelatine does anybody know, in comparison to ssri's lets say? Ago targets 5H2c receptor as apposed to 1A,1B, 2C with ssri's correct?

SSRI's target every serotonin receptor by just raising serotonin, while agomelatine just antagonizes the 5HT2C receptor.

Controlled studies with humans have shown that agomelatine is comparable to paroxetine (Seroxat, Paxil) and sertraline (Lustral, Zoloft), two SSRI antidepressants, in the treatment of major depression.[6] Agomelatine showed benefits over sertraline and paroxetine due to the lack of sexual side effects and discontinuation side effects. Because of its action upon the melatonin receptors, agomelatine also showed a marked improvement in sleep quality. There were no associated instances of daytime drowsiness.[5] Agomelatine has also demonstrated anxiolytic properties and thus may prove efficacious in the treatment of anxiety disorders.[7]

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Agomelatine

#18 Yearningforyears

• 230 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

Why not stick with the medication once the initial crash is over? You seem to quit as soon as you have been somewhat stabilized.
I am not a big fan of those medications, but some people recommend being on them for years in order to beat depression (I doubt that is true however, but who knows).

Disturbed sleeping patterns? Not sleeping enough will cause anxiety. fixing your sleep might improve symptoms.
You could try a non addictive sleeping pill.

Agomelatine sounds interesting. Maybe you are one of those SAD´s who get depressed during the winter. That medication is said to aid sleep and mood without being as sedating as remeron (mirtazapine).
Trial and error.

#19 xzibit

• Topic Starter
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:21 PM

Well those crash symptoms never happened to me before, when i took them previously. This time i just got worse and worse so i got off them. It shouldn't happen anyway. Dont suffer from SAD in fact, but certainly the winter wouldn't help. Trial and error for sure, i guess something will have to work anyway, theres lots of meds out there. Valerian helps me a little for sleep. Dont think there are any non- addictive sleeping pills

#20 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

Its not really our role IMO to give anything more than a few bits of advice. It looks like a bad case of resistant.

What I'd like to ask is MAOI is standard proceedure in this situation. Why wasn't it suggested?

The other issue is whether ssri are
1) actually the source of the problem or
2) whether they are not being used for long enough to kick in or
3) just not that effective

If its 2 or 3 why wasn't augmentation suggested? There are loads of routes but MAOI is route 1.

The melatonin agonist - I haven't the faintest idea. If it worked please report back - it would be ground breaking.

#21 xzibit

• Topic Starter
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:37 PM

Its not really our role IMO to give anything more than a few bits of advice. It looks like a bad case of resistant.

What I'd like to ask is MAOI is standard proceedure in this situation. Why wasn't it suggested?

If its 2 or 3 why wasn't augmentation suggested? There are loads of routes but MAOI is route 1.

The melatonin agonist - I haven't the faintest idea. If it worked please report back - it would be ground breaking.

Well i know ye are not shrinks as such but its great to get the advice and suggestions off ye anyway. Hence why i joined this site!
I think the ssri's are the source of the problem, the shrink did say that this type of thing can happen but couldn'd explain why. I know how these things work and i dont think they should make you so bad as to be almost hospitalised (after 2.5 wks on lexapro). MAOIs are not standard in this country, shrink said he hasn't prescribed them in years..last resort he said. I dont know where i could get one, (online pharmacy??)
He did suggest an NRI, lamotragine or cymbalta. I dont know how lamotragine would help me. Its used for augmenting ADs here.I got the script for cymbalta but dont think i will take it. Too similar to ssri's i think.
Lots of options as you say. Aren't you guys as good as any shrink!

#22 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:18 PM

Well i know ye are not shrinks as such but its great to get the advice and suggestions off ye anyway. Hence why i joined this site!
I think the ssri's are the source of the problem, the shrink did say that this type of thing can happen but couldn'd explain why. I know how these things work and i dont think they should make you so bad as to be almost hospitalised (after 2.5 wks on lexapro). MAOIs are not standard in this country, shrink said he hasn't prescribed them in years..last resort he said. I dont know where i could get one, (online pharmacy??)
He did suggest an NRI, lamotragine or cymbalta. I dont know how lamotragine would help me. Its used for augmenting ADs here.I got the script for cymbalta but dont think i will take it. Too similar to ssri's i think.
Lots of options as you say. Aren't you guys as good as any shrink!

Cymbalta is considered to be a very weak antidepressant, effexor is much stronger and considered to be on of the strongest ones. I sugges not to take cymbalta.

#23 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

Wait a minute.

Do not give yourself a MOAI under any circumstances. It needs a prescription. It needs correct dosing and I presume fading. It ain't as simple as you think. It could go badly wrong.

If the shrink is reluctant ask for a RIMA they are safer.

Anyway I've taken this one as far as I know.

#24 xzibit

• Topic Starter
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:11 PM

According to web articles, cymbalta is quite potent and more potent than effexor. However according to my local doc, he has seen considerable problems with it and doesnt prescribe it much. I agree totally with you that you need a script for an MAOI, nardil cannot be got in this country though if u wanted it, but if one got a script for it, maybe it could be got elsewhere. I dont know anything about RIMAs actually. Are ye living in US?

#25 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:05 PM

According to web articles, cymbalta is quite potent and more potent than effexor. However according to my local doc, he has seen considerable problems with it and doesnt prescribe it much. I agree totally with you that you need a script for an MAOI, nardil cannot be got in this country though if u wanted it, but if one got a script for it, maybe it could be got elsewhere. I dont know anything about RIMAs actually. Are ye living in US?

What web articles? Its known to be very weak.

#26 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:25 PM

Wait a minute.

Do not give yourself a MOAI under any circumstances. It needs a prescription. It needs correct dosing and I presume fading. It ain't as simple as you think. It could go badly wrong.

mostly wrong

#27 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:52 AM

Wait a minute.

mostly wrong

I think it is quite correct! I have taken this as far as I know. I am offering suggestions to refer to a shrink. Nothing more it is purely my opinion.

However to advise to use these MAOIs outside a script - is crazy that is certain. They regained a resurgence in popularity, particularly in the US and are considered for resistant cases. Any mainstream physcians handbook will give you this information. Fine if, for example, you gave yourself generic EMSAM thats your decision, I don't agree and I don't think its in Europe but I could be wrong.

RIMAs (reversible MAOIs) arn't available in the US, one is available in Europe or at least parts of Europe. Its just an idea.

I am very concerned by this last post. A patient will make errors of judgement - I will not go through the reasons. We talking about serious medication in what appears to be resistant case, it is a serious matter. I questioned the shrink - that was a mistake and I apologise. If you had pulled me up on any other post I could understand but not on this one. If you have anything constructive to say then do so.

Edited by matthias7, 22 October 2009 - 11:11 AM.

#28 xzibit

• Topic Starter
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:05 PM

Wait a minute.

mostly wrong

I think it is quite correct! I have taken this as far as I know. I am offering suggestions to refer to a shrink. Nothing more it is purely my opinion.

However to advise to use these MAOIs outside a script - is crazy that is certain. They regained a resurgence in popularity, particularly in the US and are considered for resistant cases. Any mainstream physcians handbook will give you this information. Fine if, for example, you gave yourself generic EMSAM thats your decision, I don't agree and I don't think its in Europe but I could be wrong.

RIMAs (reversible MAOIs) arn't available in the US, one is available in Europe or at least parts of Europe. Its just an idea.

I am very concerned by this last post. A patient will make errors of judgement - I will not go through the reasons. We talking about serious medication in what appears to be resistant case, it is a serious matter. I questioned the shrink - that was a mistake and I apologise. If you had pulled me up on any other post I could understand but not on this one. If you have anything constructive to say then do so.

Is it my last post that you are concerned about matthias7? One definately needs a script for this type of medication, or any med for that matter.Its heavy stuff as you say. Any pharmacy offering a med without a prescription is certainly not genuine or trustworthy.
Yes i think there is 1 or 2 RIMAs available here, not quite as good as MAOIs i believe, but they are an option and safer also. I'm not familiar with EMSAM.
Cymbalta info is available on loads of sites, wikipedia or biopsychiatry.com for example. Its the most potent of the SNRIs they say.

#29 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 01:50 AM

ok, well since you seem like a good person, i'll respond in detail.:

=Wait a minute. Do not give yourself a MOAI under any circumstances.
give it to yourself if you can't get a doc to, and getting out of depression is important to you. i took parnate, and got relief quickly. i wouldn't have gotten it from any pdoc i had visited, though my current one is ok continuing it, though he admits he wouldn't have started me on it. maybe you think that is risky, and thus 'never to be done', but wasting any bit of your life being depressed should count as risky too

=It needs a prescription.
yes, that is a problem.

=It needs correct dosing and I presume fading.
not really, broad range of doses all work; and i don't know what you mean by 'fading', but you need ~5 days for non fluoxetine sris, and a few weeks for fluoxetine for sri->maoi. ~1.5 weeks going the other way. this is written everywhere and yeah know something about a med before you take it, but at least this statement generally this isn't wrong.

=It ain't as simple as you think. It could go badly wrong.

its quite simple to do, even if it does requiring learning something and following it consistenly, and anything can go badly wrong.

=If the shrink is reluctant ask for a RIMA they are safer.
and not as effective

shrinks are wrong a lot too; one thing i've learned is they usually know fuck-all about psychopharm; sometimes as much as the pdr (which is not much). 'patients' can make errors - sure, other people fuck up a lot. its probably worth noting that other people's decisions being different from your own doesn't make them wrong. taking a MAOI is often the right thing to do, even if a doctor doesn't agree. whats important is having someone competent knowing whats going in your body; many docs aren't up to the task, and its quite easy for a patient to be.

anyway, if you want advice on how to avoid problems with caution:

don't take with anything that reuptakes or releases serotonin (ssris, MDMA, dextromethorphan, tcas other than nortrip, desipr, or amytrip), that has tyramine (not tyrosine; mostly fermented things like sausages, soy sauce, fish sauce, some cheeses, real ale.). have a 5ht2 antagonist on hand, i like cyproheptadine, for 5ht syndrome. and a bp medication/cuff thing for hypertensive crisis, clonidine is ok (adrenoceptor antagonists have less rebound hypotensive problems, which is usually what causes actual damage).

anyway, i don't say they are the best for depression as first-line or second line, but after 2/3 classes of drugs, you should move on to something useful before cycling through drugs of the same class or any of the myriad combinations possible. and since the poster had benefit from various drugs, and hasn't tried much, i probably would say its not worth the bother of find it and skipping tasty food, but its not some dangerous thing either.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:25 PM

Argument aside.... I understand whats happening in the ssris here.

The onset of ssris causes a "wobbly" period which is more pronounced in some than in others.

In other words it can get worse before it gets better. In this case the "wobbly" period is overwhelming such that ssris are the basic source of the problem.

The initial onset is too intense for any long term therapeutic action.

What the shrink is attempting is by using a milder stuff then he/she is hoping that the onset is less intense such that the long term benefit can be felt. They may well be right and its not a bad strategy. If mild stuff can be augmented it could be a route in, i.e. milder onset x1 ..... stablize .....milder onset x2 .... stablize. The shrink has more insight than we give credit.

Edited by matthias7, 23 October 2009 - 08:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users