- - - - -

ssri trouble, please help

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 xzibit

• Topic Starter
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:31 PM

Yeah, that sounds pretty accurate your description of the ssri problem here. I just hope there isn't any receptor or neuron burnout in my brain. I think some augmentation strategy should be tried first before going down the road of MAOIs. Some people stop taking meds after just a few days because they feel so screwed up on them. There are so many routes for augmentation.

Yoyo can i ask you are you still on the parnate and did you have any problems with it? What about alcohol, can you drink certain drinks ok?
What meds did you try before deciding on the parnate? I'm sure its well worth the sacrifices anyway with food restrictions etc.
MAOIs get by far the highest user ratings of all the ADs out there. I wonder what makes them so much better.

I relation to shrinks, some of them certainly are nut jobs and probably haven't a clue what they're talking about. Its probably fair to say that some of them don't give a damn about their patients either. Treated as a number and not as a patient. So the more knowledge the patient has about these meds, the much better position they are in.

#32 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:37 PM

whats important is having someone competent knowing whats going in your body; many docs aren't up to the task, and its quite easy for a patient to be.

100% agreed on this.

MAOI info on auxillary medication was good to know ... I hold my position MAOIs are for scripts only.

EMSAM is a transdermal - its a cool idea (well its not it you are into transdermals - common the supplement/health fitness). You're bypassing the liver therefore there is no dietary restrictions, i.e. stomach -> heptatic vein -> liver and thats the basic problem because tyramine -> liver (inactive) -> tyramine -> brain -> thumping headache.EMSAM MAOI -> heart -> whole body -> liver (not too bad)... now tyramine -> stomach -> heptatic vein -> liver -> liver munch munch munch ... no tyramine.

Edited by matthias7, 23 October 2009 - 10:41 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 matthias7

• 117 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:20 PM

Few more thoughts. If something can stick, it could be a route for ssri acceptance. The other point is that dysthymia is worth getting a lid on (more debatable).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#34 xzibit

• Topic Starter
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:58 PM

Yeah trying a different class of AD first might kick start the ssri's again. Although if i found a med or combination of meds that worked, i would be inclined to stay on them for fear of messing things up again. I see where EMSAM pathces are good but are inclined to cause insomnia as a side effect. Lamictal is an interesting med, mainly used as an anticonvulsant but off-label as an antidepressant either on its own or with other ADs. Most people on the forums are very happy with it.
Dysthemia certainly needs a lid to be kept on it and can be done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users