• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How to add weight to these kinds of dumbells?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:00 AM

Is there a way to safely add extra plates to these kind of dumbbells without it being dangerous? Say I wanted to add a 10 pound plate to either side of each one without there being weight distribution problems. The ones I have are 40 pounds each and I want to add 10 to each one.

Posted Image

Edited by TheFountain, 18 November 2009 - 08:01 AM.

#2 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

Is there a way to safely add extra plates to these kind of dumbbells without it being dangerous? Say I wanted to add a 10 pound plate to either side of each one without there being weight distribution problems. The ones I have are 40 pounds each and I want to add 10 to each one.

Posted Image

I have those same dumbbells and I like them much better than the adjustable weight bars because they are most solid and the mass is more concentrated. Just buy 50 lb dumbbells off of craigslist. BTW, I have a 15-45 lb set and I am also looking for 50 and 55 lb dumbbells.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:36 AM

Posted Image

I have those same dumbbells and I like them much better than the adjustable weight bars because they are most solid and the mass is more concentrated. Just buy 50 lb dumbbells off of craigslist. BTW, I have a 15-45 lb set and I am also looking for 50 and 55 lb dumbbells.

The point of it was not to spend much more money because I can get plates for next to nothing. These dumbbells run about 50$ each though and i'm not financially able to buy an adjustable weight set right now.

Edited by TheFountain, 18 November 2009 - 08:36 AM.

#4 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

Depends on the exercise you're using them for. There is really no good way to temporarily add weight and keep it balanced. If you can plates cheap, you want a dumbbell handle. Much cheaper than buying a full set of dumbbells.

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:38 PM

If you can plates cheap, you want a dumbbell handle. Much cheaper than buying a full set of dumbbells.

yea thats what i did... a dumbbell handle with a spiral lock (make sure they are sturdy or just get springs) should run you about 15$ a piece and plates run about .99/lb for new and i've seen as low for .33/lb used.

Posted Image

Edited by ajnast4r, 19 November 2009 - 06:40 PM.

#6 immortali457

• 480 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 03:12 AM

Platemates are an option. But not in 10lb. increments.

http://www.theplatem...om/products.htm

Powerhooks are an attachment to dumbells that are really something. Wish I had these back in the day.

http://www.qfac.com/gear/hooks.html

#7 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 04:41 PM

Platemates are interesting but I am confused as to what I am getting. For example in this auction I have no idea how much weight this comes out to. What is 5/8 LBS? Surely it cannot mean 5 8ths of a pound? That would be kind of retarded really. Not to mention a god damned rip off. haha

http://cgi.ebay.com/...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

Edited by TheFountain, 23 November 2009 - 04:43 PM.

#8 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 09:00 PM

We have Platemates at my Coach's place. They are to be used only when jumping to the next highest dumbbell is too much weight to progress. Usually in smaller exercises for the rotator cuff or such: 15lb DBs might be good for 5 sets of 10, but the 20lbs are too much for solid technique at any rep level. They really are 1.25 lbs per pair. We have some other 2.5 lbs per pair additions, but I think they are a different brand.

They aren't what you're looking for, I don't believe.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

Practical dumbell handles can be purchased for 6 dollars a piece at walmart, you can but well-priced plates there too. More pragmatic than the ones pictured.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users