• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
* * * * * 8 votes

Val's Nanotech discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
466 replies to this topic

#361 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:50 AM

okay in an effort to get back to regular posting, a couple of news items:

http://nextbigfuture...able-sugar.html

looks like bulk manufacture of graphene has really taken off in the last year.

"At 800 degrees, the underlying silicon remains active for electronics, whereas at 1,000 degrees, it loses its critical dopants," said Tour, Rice's T.T. and W.F. Chao Chair in Chemistry as well as a professor of mechanical engineering and materials science and of computer science.

Zhengzong Sun, a fourth-year graduate student in Tour's lab and primary author of the paper, found that depositing carbon-rich sources on copper and nickel substrates produced graphene in any form he desired: single-, bi- or multilayer sheets that could be highly useful in a number of applications.

Sun and his colleagues also found the process adapts easily to producing doped graphene; this allows the manipulation of the material's electronic and optical properties, which is important for making switching and logic devices.

For pristine graphene, Sun started with a thin film of poly (methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) -- perhaps best known in its commercial guise as Plexiglas -- spun onto a copper substrate that acted as a catalyst. Under heat and low pressure, flowing hydrogen and argon gas over the PMMA for 10 minutes reduced it to pure carbon and turned the film into a single layer of graphene. Changing the gas-flow rate allowed him to control the thickness of the PMMA-derived graphene.

Then it got more interesting, Sun said. He turned to other carbon sources, including a fine powder of sucrose -- aka table sugar. "We thought it would be interesting to try this stuff," Sun said. "While other labs were changing the metal catalysts, we tried changing the carbon sources."

Sun put 10 milligrams of sugar (and later fluorene) on a square-centimeter sheet of copper foil and subjected it to the same reactor conditions as the PMMA. It was quickly transformed into single-layer graphene. Sun had expected defects in the final product, given the chemical properties of both substances (a high concentration of oxygen in sucrose, five-atom rings in fluorene); but he found potential topological defects would self-heal as the graphene formed.

"As we looked deeper and deeper into the process, we found it was not only interesting, but useful," Sun said.

He tried and failed to grow graphene on silicon and silicon oxide, which raised the possibility of growing patterned graphene from a thin film of shaped copper or nickel deposited onto silicon wafers.

Doped graphene opens more possibilities for electronics use, Tour said, and Sun found it fairly simple to make. Starting with PMMA mixed with a doping reagent, melamine, he discovered that flowing the gas under atmospheric pressure produced nitrogen-doped graphene. Pristine graphene has no bandgap, but doped graphene allows control of the electrical structure, which the team proved by building field-effect transistors.

"Each day, the growth of graphene on silicon is approaching industrial-level readiness, and this work takes it an important step further," Tour said.

Which is good considering that we're also making progress in nanoelectronics manufacturing techniques

http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/11/ice-lithography-for-nanodevices.html

We report the successful application of a new approach, ice lithography (IL), to fabricate nanoscale devices. The entire IL process takes place inside a modified scanning electron microscope (SEM), where a vapor-deposited film of water ice serves as a resist for e-beam lithography, greatly simplifying and streamlining device fabrication. We show that labile nanostructures such as carbon nanotubes can be safely imaged in an SEM when coated in ice. The ice film is patterned at high e-beam intensity and serves as a mask for lift-off without the device degradation and contamination associated with e-beam imaging and polymer resist residues. We demonstrate the IL preparation of carbon nanotube field effect transistors with high-quality trans-conductance properties.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/11/interconnecting-gold-islands-with-dna.html

Scaffolded DNA origami has recently emerged as a versatile, programmable method to fold DNA into arbitrarily shaped nanostructures that are spatially addressable, with sub-10-nm resolution. Toward functional DNA nanotechnology, one of the key challenges is to integrate the bottom-up self-assembly of DNA origami with the top-down lithographic methods used to generate surface patterning. In this report we demonstrate that fixed length DNA origami nanotubes, modified with multiple thiol groups near both ends, can be used to connect surface patterned gold islands (tens of nanometers in diameter) fabricated by electron beam lithography (EBL). Atomic force microscopic imaging verified that the DNA origami nanotubes can be efficiently aligned between gold islands with various interisland distances and relative locations. This development represents progress toward the goal of bridging bottom-up and top-down assembly approaches.

http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/11/crystalline-two-dimensional-dna-origami.html

DNA origami gets large: A double-layer DNA-origami tile with two orthogonal domains underwent self-assembly into well-ordered 2D DNA arrays with edge dimensions of 2–3 μm (see schematic representation and AFM image). This size is likely to be large enough to connect bottom-up methods of patterning with top-down approaches.

seems like that graphene nanoelectronics chip is getting closer to manufacture every day, and with the recent breakthroughs in nanogenerators ( http://nextbigfuture...ators-grow.html ) and high ratio field effect transistors (http://nextbigfuture.com/2010/11/high-onoff-ratio-graphene.html) as well, we may see prototypes by 2013

Now, in the field of stemcell based plastic surgery, I just wrote a new article for H+ magazine, in which I described how it is likely that stemcell based "theraputic cloning" could enable a male to female sex conversion that would allow even reproductive ability as the new sex. So, I like write the article, send it off, and the very next day...

http://www.physorg.c...multaneous.html

Bioengineers from the University of California, San Diego have achieved the "Triple Crown" of stem cell culture – they created an artificial environment for stem cells that simultaneously provides the chemical, mechanical and electrical cues necessary for stem cell growth and differentiation. Building better microenvironments for nurturing stem cells is critical for realizing the promises of stem-cell-based regenerative medicine, including cartilage for joint repair, cardiac cells for damaged hearts, and healthy skeletal myoblasts for muscular dystrophy patients. The advance could also lead to better model systems for fundamental stem cell research.

which would have been wonderful material to add to the article, as it illustrated why "programable" stemcells are likely to become the major medical paradigm by decades end.

#362 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:29 AM

I'm looking forward to the day when we can program the body to grow elements inside of itself. Get it to grow an extra heart or aorta to take over the work of one which is failing.

Edited by Reno, 18 November 2010 - 07:33 AM.

#363 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:45 AM

I'm looking forward to the day when we can program the body to grow elements inside of itself. Get it to grow an extra heart or aorta to take over the work of one which is failing.

To quote from the article awaiting publication:

So, in a decade, I think it is quite likely that the patient seeking to alter their gender would start byseeing their surgeon, who would take a complete scan of the person. This scanwould then be entered in to a program that would allow the patient and the surgeon to transform the patient's body into the precise appearance desired.Once the body shape has been defined, the program would determine what changes would be needed, the amounts and types of stemcell stocks needed, the minimal surgery needed to reroute the urinary tract, nerves, etc. and then which would proceed to extract the samples needed to create stemcell stocks, and begin the creation of the proper organs, using a 3d printer to create the needed tissues.Once sufficient stocks were cultured, the patient would then be placed into the autodoc, and as the doctor supervised, be transformed.

It's possible that even such steps as printing the organs might be unneeded as the autosurgeon might be able to construct the needed organs in situ.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#364 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:05 AM

I wouldn't want my body modified using stem cells, unless it was an emergency situation. For me, it's either all or nothing. I either want a completely 100% engineered body, or what I'm living with now. Half measures won't do.

#365 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:26 AM

I wouldn't want my body modified using stem cells, unless it was an emergency situation. For me, it's either all or nothing. I either want a completely 100% engineered body, or what I'm living with now. Half measures won't do.

I'm more concerned with being female first. The tail, hooves, horns, wings and radically altered internal anatomy can come later.

#366 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 03:38 AM

Would you turn down an amazing, life-altering procedure because it wasn't 100% engineered? That really doesn't make much sense to me. If you had a spinal cord injury, would you choose a wheelchair over walking?

#367 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:34 AM

Would you turn down an amazing, life-altering procedure because it wasn't 100% engineered? That really doesn't make much sense to me. If you had a spinal cord injury, would you choose a wheelchair over walking?

Did you not read the emergency string attached to my comment? If I'm in an emergency dangerous enough to cause a spinal cord injury, that qualifies. If I'm having a new vagina and boobs put in, I'll wait.

#368 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:42 PM

If I'm having a new vagina and boobs put in, I'll wait.

Unfortunately for me, the need to be female is slowly driving me insane, so I really can't put that off indefinitely.

#369 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:59 PM

Well, I can't speak for what is right for you, but I would want it done right the first time. I wouldn't want a situation were I felt what I have was just a mutilated or mutated version of what I had, instead of what I really wanted.

Edited by Reno, 21 November 2010 - 07:01 PM.

#370 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

Well, if it were me, I would want it done right the first time. I wouldn't want a situation were I felt what I had was just a mutilated version of what I had, instead of what I really wanted.

Which is why I am not taking the silicone breasts and turned inside out genitalia route. But fully functional female anatomy is what I am talking about with stem cell surgeries here. It may not change my 23rd chromosome, but fully functional internal organs, hormone production, and so on is worth it. It may not be my final succubus form, but fully female is far far better than what I am now.

That may be what you are missing about what I am talking about. This is using stem cells to grow a uterus, vagina, overies, and breasts, as well as being able to add a layer of subcutaneous fat over the entire body. Additionally we will likely be able to use stem cells to grow follicles, replace scar tissue with normal tissue, etc. This isn't the hack job of current plastic surgery, this is a full body transformation of every single part of the body from male to female EXCEPT DNA, carried out at what is basically the cellular level. About the only thing that I don't think it could do is alter my over all skeletal size. I'd still be a 6'5" amazon, and my DNA would still be XY (though recombinant DNA could have advanced enough by then to change that too) but I would be fully "feminized".

My Succubus form is FAR more radically altered internally than you probably think, and that level of "engineering" is going to take a LOT more than fully controllable stemcells to produce, as graphite bones, organic fuel cells, and organic computer systems are likely not going to be feasible until functional nanotech. Being "merely" human, but FEMALE is still a VAST improvement.

#371 Lassus

• 24 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 04:59 AM

Well, if it were me, I would want it done right the first time. I wouldn't want a situation were I felt what I had was just a mutilated version of what I had, instead of what I really wanted.

Which is why I am not taking the silicone breasts and turned inside out genitalia route. But fully functional female anatomy is what I am talking about with stem cell surgeries here. It may not change my 23rd chromosome, but fully functional internal organs, hormone production, and so on is worth it. It may not be my final succubus form, but fully female is far far better than what I am now.

That may be what you are missing about what I am talking about. This is using stem cells to grow a uterus, vagina, overies, and breasts, as well as being able to add a layer of subcutaneous fat over the entire body. Additionally we will likely be able to use stem cells to grow follicles, replace scar tissue with normal tissue, etc. This isn't the hack job of current plastic surgery, this is a full body transformation of every single part of the body from male to female EXCEPT DNA, carried out at what is basically the cellular level. About the only thing that I don't think it could do is alter my over all skeletal size. I'd still be a 6'5" amazon, and my DNA would still be XY (though recombinant DNA could have advanced enough by then to change that too) but I would be fully "feminized".

My Succubus form is FAR more radically altered internally than you probably think, and that level of "engineering" is going to take a LOT more than fully controllable stemcells to produce, as graphite bones, organic fuel cells, and organic computer systems are likely not going to be feasible until functional nanotech. Being "merely" human, but FEMALE is still a VAST improvement.

Well, in theory they could turn you into a chimera of XY and XX cells. You could have XX ovaries, breasts, etc, along with the rest of the XY stuff, whithout risk of rejection.
True hermaphroditism, i think.
Maybe in 10 years you could get the set of interventions you mention, but it would be freaking messy and dangerous having a womb / ovaries / external genitalia implanted. Besides, how the hell would you hook them up to the nervous system (even if we by then had nerve regeneration technologies)? I dont think your brain has the mapping to interface with those organs (so to speak). Or maybe the brain would figure things out by itself if you hook up some nerves to the right places (ie where the male reproductive organs were), neural plasticity and all working the way it does...
Still, it would all be quite difficult to pull off.

Better not have anything cut off given our current state of affairs.

Edited by Lassus, 23 November 2010 - 05:00 AM.

#372 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:30 AM

Val, you might think of it as a cheap hack, but you can do a hell of a lot with hormones, at least as far as secondary sexual characteristics are concerned. It's not the ultimate solution, but it could be a useful stopgap measure.

#373 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 05:39 AM

Did you not read the emergency string attached to my comment? If I'm in an emergency dangerous enough to cause a spinal cord injury, that qualifies. If I'm having a new vagina and boobs put in, I'll wait.

Sorry, I either missed it or misinterpreted it. This is starting to sound like an auto-repair thread. First the tranny, then the head job, and now my mechanic says I need a new vagina and boobs!

#374 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:37 PM

Well, in theory they could turn you into a chimera of XY and XX cells. You could have XX ovaries, breasts, etc, along with the rest of the XY stuff, whithout risk of rejection.
True hermaphroditism, i think.
Maybe in 10 years you could get the set of interventions you mention, but it would be freaking messy and dangerous having a womb / ovaries / external genitalia implanted. Besides, how the hell would you hook them up to the nervous system (even if we by then had nerve regeneration technologies)? I dont think your brain has the mapping to interface with those organs (so to speak). Or maybe the brain would figure things out by itself if you hook up some nerves to the right places (ie where the male reproductive organs were), neural plasticity and all working the way it does...
Still, it would all be quite difficult to pull off.

Better not have anything cut off given our current state of affairs.

actually the first "gender reassignments" involved whole organ transplants. the transplants worked fine. The tissue rejection is what forced them to resort to the the current procedures.

I have to wait till H+ posts the article before I can repost it here, but the fact of the matter is that stemcells produce all the tissues in an organ, including nerves, and with the advances already being seen in stemcell regeneration what we are talking about is probably going to be much easier than you suggest, as the organs themselves can be "wrapped" in stemcells which will take their cues from the environment and "integrate" the organs naturally, including needed nerve connections.

The short form is that at present, stemcells are ALREADY designed to do exactly what I am describing, and can do so without any help once they have been told what to do. In essence, it's a human construction nanomachine just waiting for orders. Give it the right orders it builds a human. All that is needed is knowledge of the orders to give them to do the necessary job, and they will do it. We don't need to know exactly HOW it does it's job, we just have to know WHAT to tell it to get it started doing the desired subroutines.

we have a precise catalog of the differences between males and females on a tissue level. all we need is programming commands and raw stemcells to tell what to do.

#375 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:39 PM

Val, you might think of it as a cheap hack, but you can do a hell of a lot with hormones, at least as far as secondary sexual characteristics are concerned. It's not the ultimate solution, but it could be a useful stopgap measure.

want to direct me to a doctor who will prescribe them for me for free since I don't have insurance, and this is usually NOT covered by it when I do?

I would be on hormones if I could Niner.

#376 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

Stem cell treatment would be a bit more than hormones val. Maybe you could think about moving to the UK. I hear they do those types of treatments for free under their government health plan. I've even heard of people getting the entire transgender surgery done under the government plan. That's not to say I would want the equivalent of a VA doctor messing around my crotch, but hey it's better than nothing.

Edited by Reno, 24 November 2010 - 08:37 PM.

#377 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:19 PM

wish I could move Reno. However, since I am on the low end of the economic scale, that's a bit out of reach.

However, on to this wonderful video I found on Gizmodo, in which a mere glimpse of our VR wonderland future can be seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvl7kG82EfI&feature=player_embedded

#378 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:38 PM

and on the 3d printing front:

http://nextbigfuture...smartphone.html

IEEE Spectrum - A California startup, Eoplex has come up with a combination of secret sauces and manufacturing techniques that lets it print sub-micron size voxels of stuff to mass produce 3D objects. After some simple, but secret, processing this stuff turns into metal, ceramics, and empty spaces. The result can be miniature machines with moving parts, metamaterials-enabled multi-function antennas, piezoelectric powered energy harvesters, coin-sized hydrogen fuel cells, pretty much anything.

There’s a type of chip packaging called QFN (for Quad Flat No leads) that’s all the rage for packaging chips for mobile devices. The key to QFNs are the lead-frames, delicate spider-works of metal laid out by the dozens on a rather expensive tape. The lead frames are made by etching away a film of metal from the tape, using various nasty chemicals. What you’re left with is a set of leads that look like q-tips surrounding a central slab of metal that conducts heat away from the chip. The long end of the q-tip is just to anchor it to the frame; it doesn’t have an electrical purpose. In the packaging process the chips are stuck to the lead frame, and delicate wires are connected between the chip and the leads on the tape. That familiar black plastic is then flowed over the chip, and then the frame, chip, and plastic are peeled from the tape. Finally, the packaged chips are diced up, tested, and shipped.

The ideal QFN package would not be made using a chemical etch (so it’s a relatively green process), have no extra metal (so it would have better electrical performance, so chips could be tested before dicing, and so dicing would be quicker), as many rows of leads as you want (so you could get data on and off the chip faster), and no tape (so it would be cheaper).

Instead of starting with a film of metal on tape, Eoplex prints a layer of recyclable steel alloy and then tops it with the electrically important parts of the leads (the tip, not the stick) and the thermal pad—both made of silver.

Eoplex has its sights on about $700 million worth of the QFN market, which could grow to $1.3 billion by 2014. By then, he says, the process might be used in other packaging forms such as ball grid array, meaning a $4 billion market.

They discovered the secret voxel pattern that’s key to the QFN product by accident. And, according to Chait, that might be good for keeping competitors at bay

The first production "printed" chips. Let's see where we go from here.

#379 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 06:41 PM

Lets see how widely it gets distributed. If everyone was able to use 3d printing we would see an explosion of new products if and only if it were made scalable. It has no use if you can't mass produce millions of products with it.

#380 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:24 AM

Lets see how widely it gets distributed. If everyone was able to use 3d printing we would see an explosion of new products if and only if it were made scalable. It has no use if you can't mass produce millions of products with it.

That kind of sorta seems to be the point of this article, pointing out that it CAN be scaled to millions of units

#381 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 03:33 AM

And H+ magazine published my latest article today:

http://hplusmagazine...e-within-decade

#382 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 04:27 AM

I can't wait for a new heart and lungs. I'll be able to run like a teenager again.

That entire article sounds very positive. I don't believe it'll all come together that fast though. It'll more likely take 10-15 years. It normally takes at least five years to get through the testing and approval phase. The rub for me is that I consider switching genders to be a mental, physical as well as genetic switch. As pointed out in the comments of that article, just having the organs for reproduction doesn't make you a functioning member of the other gender.

#383 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 02:31 AM

I can't wait for a new heart and lungs. I'll be able to run like a teenager again.

That entire article sounds very positive. I don't believe it'll all come together that fast though. It'll more likely take 10-15 years. It normally takes at least five years to get through the testing and approval phase. The rub for me is that I consider switching genders to be a mental, physical as well as genetic switch. As pointed out in the comments of that article, just having the organs for reproduction doesn't make you a functioning member of the other gender.

Nope, it doesn't, and I expect a lot of men to first make the switch and then switch back in a hurry. Why? Because they will think that being female will give them "power", much like a majority of female playing men online do: "I'm cute and I'm pretty, give me stuff and you can f**k me! Haha you are in my power!"

I may be a succubus, but I don't use sex as a tool to control people, and I think a lot of the gender discrimination left in our culture is going to disappear in a hurry once those men actually try living IRL as women. It's going to be a massive shock to our social structures once enough of those men try life as women, and start protesting being discriminated against. VR is going to start it as online and offline begin blurring into each other, and a lot of secret online girls start being their female AVs fulltime.

#384 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

That's one hell of a change just to gain a some sort of social advantage. Even if a male has the parts grown inside, there still going to need surgery for the cosmetic bits, and surgery is no fun.

#385 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:33 PM

You did actually read the articles linked to mine, right? We're talking using a DaVinci surgery robot for microsurgeries, hundreds of thousands of hypodermics injecting stem cells or removing tissue cells. This isn't the typical plastic surgery of today which involves a knife and large openings which leave scar tissue.

That means it will likely involve no more than a couple of trips, the first to define final appearance, draw stem cells and begin 3d printing, and a second to do the actual surgery, on a microscopic level, implanting or removing tissue, with the only large cuts being immediately closed using stemcells to prevent scarring and rapidly form tissue. This is probably going to result in a surgery that is 90% healed by the time the surgery is finished, and a fully healed patient within days, not weeks or months. I am serious when I say at this level it may be no more serious an affair than getting your hair done.

Stem cells are THE construction nanobots of the human body. Given the right instructions, they can become ANY cell in the human body. This is going to result in what is basically a "wolverine healing factor" kind of medical technology, We're already making spray on skin for burn victims, it's not going to be long before we have spray on skin for bandages that can almost instantly heal cuts scrapes and abrasions that are not serious, and not long after that before even serious trauma can be repaired on a fairly rapid timescale.

With Terahertz computers, 3D printers, highly advanced medical AGI, and 100% controllable stemcells, the sort of medicine we practice now will be obsolete, and I serouisly doubt that Big Pharma will be able to prevent stemcell therapies from replacing current drug based treatments anywhere but in the US, and even that is merely gong to delay them, not prevent them.
  • like x 1

#386 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:18 AM

Well, you could give me a vagina and breasts using your highly scientific hair do surgery, and I would still look like a man. Transgender people go through more then just those two surgeries, they have their forehead trimmed, they're nose reworked, chin trimmed, ears fixed, and I'm sure much more. Anytime you need to break a bone to fix something, your talking about recovery time.

And yes,.... I did read your article, and those you linked to.

#387 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 03:56 AM

Just wanted to add, that is a horrible name for a breakthrough miracle medical device. Leonardo da vinci literally translates to Leonardo from vinci. So this machine is the from vinci machine. If the people who built this thing are proud professionals of any sort, they most likely would have been more careful choosing a decent name.

Edited by Reno, 02 December 2010 - 03:58 AM.

#388 valkyrie_ice

• Topic Starter
  • 837 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:38 PM

Well, you could give me a vagina and breasts using your highly scientific hair do surgery, and I would still look like a man. Transgender people go through more then just those two surgeries, they have their forehead trimmed, they're nose reworked, chin trimmed, ears fixed, and I'm sure much more. Anytime you need to break a bone to fix something, your talking about recovery time.

And yes,.... I did read your article, and those you linked to.

All of which could be done simultaneously with stemcell microsurgeries. You are still thinking in terms of "grinding and cutting" with the bodies current healing abilities, Reno. I'm talking using stemcells to immediately become the cells damaged by the cut, so that the "cut" no longer exists within minutes or hours. This bypasses the bodies healing processes to essentially give someone nearly instant healing. By removing the damaged cells, or cutting "between" cells, the cuts need only a single layer of stem cells transforming to other tissue cells, and forming the cellular matrix to bond to the other cells, viola, no cut within minutes to hours.

Bone is slightly more complex, but with a scaffold, and stemcells, we are already showing amazing progress in rapid healing of bone, which means that even bone modification could be healed quickly.

#389 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:33 PM

HOLY ****... This may be huge, Val!

http://www.zdnet.com...021?tag=nl.e539

This time, however, instead of just proving itself consistently correct, Moore's Law is going to have to be completely re-written instead of microprocessor technology doubling its performance every two years, we'll be looking forward to ten to twenty fold increases in computational power, at a bare minimum, every five years.
This increase in performance is so significant that the math itself is mind-boggling and it becomes difficult to actually relate to it in conventional terms, or even express it in a quantifiable fashion that makes sense to information technology practitioners outside of very high-end scientific research.

ELECTRONICS EVERYWHERE JUMP WITH JOY!

Posted Image

Edited by Elus, 04 December 2010 - 07:40 PM.

#390 Reno

• 584 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:39 PM

They're talking about super computers there. It will be awhile before you see that at walmart. I'd be satisfied with a teraflop on my desk. Maybe with a TF I could run windows without any lag.

Edited by Reno, 04 December 2010 - 09:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users