• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Climategate

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#61 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:34 AM

This may be good strategy, but it's certainly bad science, especially when it's publicly funded and of such importance. How would you convince a skeptic that the results are reliable when there's evidence of hiding/deleting data ?

As I said, I don't know the complete context surrounding the request in question, or the emails themselves. Either way the authors are hardly representative of the majority of the world's scientific community. Innocent until proven guilty is my motto. There is an inquiry which will get to the bottom of this in due time.

Thousands of scientists is a deception. A lot of names were put on the report, and some people actually had to sue to get their names taken off.

There were under a thousand scientists involved in the report, but nevertheless, what deception to a man were they involved in?
Who exactly sued, and why?

Also, the gatekeepers here make sure that only supporting quality research gets funded and published.

Fixed for you.

#62 rwac

• Topic Starter
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:05 AM

As I said, I don't know the complete context surrounding the request in question, or the emails themselves. Either way the authors are hardly representative of the majority of the world's scientific community. Innocent until proven guilty is my motto. There is an inquiry which will get to the bottom of this in due time.

The authors are representative of the climate research community. If the inquiry isn't a whitewash. We'll see.

There were under a thousand scientists involved in the report, but nevertheless, what deception to a man were they involved in?
Who exactly sued, and why?

The number of scientists on that list is a deception. They put a lot of people on there who did not contribute much, did not agree with the conclusions, and wanted their names taken off.

Paul Reiter had to threaten a lawsuit to get his name taken off the report.

Also, the gatekeepers here make sure that only supporting quality research gets funded and published.

Fixed for you.

Matter of opinion.

Edited by rwac, 08 December 2009 - 05:07 AM.

#63 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:27 AM

Paul Reiter had to threaten a lawsuit to get his name taken off the report.

AFAIK Paul Reiter is an entomologist who disagreed with some of the statements about Malaria made in the report., and requested (not threatened or sued) that his name be removed.

Not a good example.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#64 rwac

• Topic Starter
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:08 AM

AFAIK Paul Reiter is an entomologist who disagreed with some of the statements about Malaria made in the report., and requested (not threatened or sued) that his name be removed.

Not a good example.

Nope.
In his own words: "So in the end it was quite a battle but finally I threatened legal action against them and they removed my name;"

The whole video is interesting, but go to 3:00 for the relevant bit.
He also talks about a Russian malaria epidemic which went as far north as Archangel, which is within the arctic circle.
And yet somehow the IPCC declares that malaria is a tropical disease.

#65 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:43 AM

They threw away the raw data. How is that not paranoia inducing ?

They probably didn't have a statistician on board.

#66 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:19 AM

I'm sorry if you felt insulted by my post Val, I simply don't like sensationalism and generalisations when dealing with such a complex issue. Also, the inclusion of large amounts of upper case text in your posts makes them hard to read, and makes people feel like they are being shouted at, which is never good in a discussion.

I agree with some of what you say, emissions trading and carbon caps are insufficient and misleading answers to a massive problem. If done correctly, emissions trading has potential, but the watering down of policies and massive concessions made to the big polluters to appease the conservative members of the public rends the whole scheme useless. It's not a matter of carbon caps instead of and excluding all other approaches, it's about a wholesale approach to change the way our economies run, the way we utilise our resources, and the ways in which we produce and use energy. AGW proponents are not promoting carbon caps above all else at all. It's just a part of the solution. There is also a lot of research being done on geoengineering and renewable and sustainable power sources too.

Now, when the malthusian human hating "We must kill off 80% of humanity so the other 20% can live in rural paradise" meme that is using AGW as a cover stops being a factor in the religion of AGW, then perhaps some good might come of it, but at present it's just too little, and a useless waste of resources because it is far too little.

I don't really understand where you're coming from with this. I honestly don't know what you mean. Are you referring to the small number of people who do not care about the predicted effects of global temperature increases because it will likely result in the death of a large percentage of the world's poor?

The caps are from too many years dealing with forums without any actual text formatting controls, so in order to emphasize you have to cap. I really should work on remembering that imminst allows italics and bold.

Nor am I generalizing. I am pointing out what effect this has on the image of science to the general public. Not only "denialists" see this as a serious problem in science. The absolute failure of too many people to understand the seriousness of simply trying to sweep this under the rug, and why doing so is the absolutely wrong thing to do, is also unbelievable.

So lets take AGW out of this altogether, shall we, and discuss it again?

Scientist claims he has discovered X. He releases his findings, some data, and a lot of nifty charts.

Thousands of scientists, looking for confirmation based on this discovery, find corroborating evidence

Thousands of different scientists, also looking for confirmation, fail to find corroborating evidence. In fact find the opposite is true, and request the methods used to arrive at original discovery.

Original Scientist caters to the scientists who support his discovery, treats opposing scientists as if they are enemies.

Rift in scientific community occurs. Lots of rocks get thrown.

Evidence arises that the Original scientist manipulated data, and acted in numerous ways which are unethical by accepted scientific practices.

Can you not see how this is a problem? When it happened recently in the medical field, that a highly respected and referenced scientist had been faking experimental results for decades, the scientific community immediately addressed it, removed his papers, and he was fired from his research job.

So why is this different?

Because it's no longer about science. It's a political and religious ideology, so "fudging the truth for a good cause" is okay.

So sorry, not in my book.

If AGW is real, then removing this from the body of research will be meaningless, and show the public that science is about data, not agendas. Sweeping it under the rug only reinforces the opinion in the public mind that science is nothing more than another political game, and as corrupt as the rest of the system, so therefore can be ignored.

Now as for the human hating mentality of the majority of eco-maniacs? Understand that the word "Sustainable" means to them that we have to immediately eliminate 80% of humanity to return to the pre industrial "utopia" of rural life. They never consciously come right out and SAY it, but spend a few decades getting called names by them for daring to support unlimited technological growth, and it becomes all too apparent. Far too much of the "green" movement is as anti-progress and anti-technology as they come. Their idea of "green" is simply a return to the past, but if they can't get it by choice, maybe if they can bring society to a crashing halt, then they can finally be free to return to "nature"

In my book, too many "greenies" are as violence prone as the right wing "conspiracy nuts" and want the exact same thing for different reasons.

I don't know how old you are Grail, but I'm 40, and I've been having this argument for the last 20 effing years. I also watched Al Gore turn AGW from a valid scientific theory being researched honestly in the 90's into the effing evangelical faith show it's become in the last decade.

#67 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:42 AM

I read a guest article by the PR guy of WWF in a local paper today. He was blaming just about everything on global warming and saying we must urgently decide on something dramatic in the Copenhagen meeting. I don't think even the AGW people blame tropical storms and hurricanes on global warming, but he did.

#68 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

So lets take AGW out of this altogether, shall we, and discuss it again?

Scientist claims he has discovered X. He releases his findings, some data, and a lot of nifty charts.

Thousands of scientists, looking for confirmation based on this discovery, find corroborating evidence

Thousands of different scientists, also looking for confirmation, fail to find corroborating evidence. In fact find the opposite is true, and request the methods used to arrive at original discovery.

Original Scientist caters to the scientists who support his discovery, treats opposing scientists as if they are enemies.

Rift in scientific community occurs. Lots of rocks get thrown.

Evidence arises that the Original scientist manipulated data, and acted in numerous ways which are unethical by accepted scientific practices.

Can you not see how this is a problem? When it happened recently in the medical field, that a highly respected and referenced scientist had been faking experimental results for decades, the scientific community immediately addressed it, removed his papers, and he was fired from his research job.

So why is this different?

Because it's no longer about science. It's a political and religious ideology, so "fudging the truth for a good cause" is okay.

Wait...did I miss something? What data has been "fudged" or unethically manipulated? The emails don't reveal that, simply run of the mill statistical data manipulation to deal with known problems in the data. The only unexplained potentially unethical (though I stress that the parties are innocent until proven guilty) practice was the perceived call to delete emails to dodge a release of information request. Stop blowing everything out of proportion. It is hyped up posts like yours that are spreading unease and misinformation. You cannot compare Hwang Woosuk's fraud to this incident. That is complete conjecture and unwarranted.

Now as for the human hating mentality of the majority of eco-maniacs? Understand that the word "Sustainable" means to them that we have to immediately eliminate 80% of humanity to return to the pre industrial "utopia" of rural life. They never consciously come right out and SAY it, but spend a few decades getting called names by them for daring to support unlimited technological growth, and it becomes all too apparent. Far too much of the "green" movement is as anti-progress and anti-technology as they come. Their idea of "green" is simply a return to the past, but if they can't get it by choice, maybe if they can bring society to a crashing halt, then they can finally be free to return to "nature"

In my book, too many "greenies" are as violence prone as the right wing "conspiracy nuts" and want the exact same thing for different reasons.

I don't know how old you are Grail, but I'm 40, and I've been having this argument for the last 20 effing years. I also watched Al Gore turn AGW from a valid scientific theory being researched honestly in the 90's into the effing evangelical faith show it's become in the last decade.

Speaking of conspiracy nuts... Her you go again with generalisations, I thought you didn't make those? I'm getting sick of your use of hyperbole. Sure, there are a few nut job environmentalists out there, but there has always been. Note that pretty much every ideology in history has been taken to extremes by small numbers of people. Extremists aside, the theory of AGW is currently in vogue, and partly fashionable. This is a good thing, and is simply the result of a large number of informed people doing their best to involve the average person in what is an extremely important issue for all of us. If even conservative predictions are realised, this will change our way of life unlike anything has before, and has a massive potential for global catastrophe. Why shouldn't this be prominent in the public consciousness? It should be, and is, the top thing in the minds of many people.

#69 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:02 AM

I read a guest article by the PR guy of WWF in a local paper today. He was blaming just about everything on global warming and saying we must urgently decide on something dramatic in the Copenhagen meeting. I don't think even the AGW people blame tropical storms and hurricanes on global warming, but he did.

Tropical storms and hurricanes are predicted to intensify as the sea and air heats up, and there is more water vapour in the air. You only just heard about this?

#70 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

Tropical storms and hurricanes are predicted to intensify as the sea and air heats up, and there is more water vapour in the air. You only just heard about this?

I know they predict the end of the world in the future from global warming, but so far there have not actually been any more storms and hurricanes than in the past, so claiming that "all these hurricanes we're seeing are due to global warming".

#71 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:04 PM

I'm sorry Niner, but on this issue you sound anything BUT objective. You've already made your conclusion, and are defending it as zealously as any religious fanatic. You're willing to forgive the bad science done by the people who formed the very foundations on which your belief is based, just because you believe in the conclusions so strongly that you are unwilling to tolerate any evidence against them.

You are correct that I have made a conclusion, but that conclusion is based on the science, which goes way beyond the particular set of station data that is being questioned. There are different terrestrial temperature datasets besides this one, some of which are publicly available. (If the denialists really wanted data, they could get it. What they really want is to claim they are being denied data.) There are computational climate models, there is satellite data, there is tree ring data, there is ice core data, there is sediment data, and probably other forms of data that I'm not remembering, but it all tells the same story. Warming has occurred recently that is unprecedented in rate of change compared to previous climate shifts. The vast majority of climate scientists are in agreement on this. There is not any evidence of bad science having been done here. You are misinterpreting a couple private emails, taken entirely out of context, where a scientist is using jargony scientific shorthand for a legitimate statistical technique which makes it sound to a layperson that they are cheating. They didn't. It wasn't scientific fraud. I would be happy to see real evidence against AGW be published and hashed out in the literature. We aren't talking about real evidence here. We are talking about a mob of "skeptics" who get their understanding of climate science from talk radio, and a handful of cranks who have some scientific training in unrelated or loosely related disciplines. Real scientists with good work that questions the consensus are not being suppressed. Real scientists don't have to break into private computers and steal email in order to make their point.

I will grant one thing; we really need a thorough and unbiased investigation of the CRU, although I suspect that after a big waste of time and money, the denialists will call it a whitewash and refuse to believe it.

These are the people who's work forms the heart of the AGW theory. The supporting evidence is meaningless, given that it all was interpreted BASED ON THIS RESEARCH, WHICH IS NOW SUSPECT.

And that's the thing everyone is trying so hard to gloss over. That the very basis for AGW is bad science. Bad science every bit as biased, deceitful, and agenda driven as they claim those who are trying to discredit them are.

This is not correct. These people's work could be removed entirely from the evidence for AGW, and it would still stand. This is only one part of the evidence. And there isn't any evidence of bad science, fraud, or error anyway.

Even if I give you as a fact that global warming exists, which whether you wish to admit it or not is STILL under debate and has conflicting evidence on both sides, it's still not the issue. What is at issue is the ANTHROPOGENIC in AGW.

That warming has occurred is only under debate on the (largely uninformed) fringes. I agree that the anthropogenic part of it is less certain, but only slightly so. No one has come up with a natural explanation for the warming that has been observed. Everything that has been touted by the denialist side has turned out to be wrong. I don't see how you can deny the physics of greenhouse gasses. That their concentration has risen dramatically over the past century is simply undeniable. Even if the rising concentration of CO2 wasn't causing warming, it is still acidifying the oceans and needs to be dealt with for that reason as well.

You call this a religious argument, but one side is based on science, and the other side is based on conspiracy theory, misinformation, and the support of the fossil fuel industry.

#72 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:31 PM

I might have interpreted that wrong, but all that stats that Ive seen lately say that the hurricanes are picking up a lot.

#73 rwac

• Topic Starter
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:44 PM

There are different terrestrial temperature datasets besides this one, some of which are publicly available. (If the denialists really wanted data, they could get it. What they really want is to claim they are being denied data.)

It's too late for competing research to dispute the hockey stick. The amount of material on the AGW side makes sure of this.
The only way to seriously dispute AGW is to expose the flaws in the current research, and the exact same raw dataset is needed to do so.

Real scientists with good work that questions the consensus are not being suppressed. Real scientists don't have to break into private computers and steal email in order to make their point.

The problem is that you will only accept someone from the climate field as a "real scientist", and everyone in the field has already been vetted by Mann, Jones, etc.
It's not that hard for someone with a scientific background to learn a new field.
Plus, we haven't received any details on the "break-in". It's more likely to be a whistle-blower.

#74 Kutta

• Guest, F@H
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

*applauds niner*

#75 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:28 PM

*applauds niner*

The anti-global warming arguments look a lot like the "smoking does not cause lung cancer" and "bike helmets don't save lives" arguments. The pro-tobacco lobbyists and publicists seem to have picked up lock stock and barrel and move on to the oil industry, where they are a humdred times better funded.

The argument should be on what the response should be, and how to implement it with the least economic and human cost.

#76 Grail

• Guest, F@H
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 10:21 PM

On the surface, I like what the Danes are proposing in the leaked draft at Copenhagen, though I haven't really examined the nitty gritty of it yet.
http://www.sbs.com.a...-climate-summit

rwac, that is sounding a tad like sour grapes to me.

#77 rwac

• Topic Starter
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

rwac, that is sounding a tad like sour grapes to me.

I believe certain fields of science have gone off the rails. Another example would be the medical/dietary field.
Possibly things such as string theory too.

The sooner these fields are forced to face reality the better.

#78 Connor MacLeod

• 619 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:46 AM

You are misinterpreting a couple private emails, taken entirely out of context, where a scientist is using jargony scientific shorthand for a legitimate statistical technique...

What's the statistical technique that they are using?

#79 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:26 AM

You are correct that I have made a conclusion, but that conclusion is based on the science, which goes way beyond the particular set of station data that is being questioned. There are different terrestrial temperature datasets besides this one, some of which are publicly available. (If the denialists really wanted data, they could get it. What they really want is to claim they are being denied data.) There are computational climate models, there is satellite data, there is tree ring data, there is ice core data, there is sediment data, and probably other forms of data that I'm not remembering, but it all tells the same story. Warming has occurred recently that is unprecedented in rate of change compared to previous climate shifts. The vast majority of climate scientists are in agreement on this. There is not any evidence of bad science having been done here. You are misinterpreting a couple private emails, taken entirely out of context, where a scientist is using jargony scientific shorthand for a legitimate statistical technique which makes it sound to a layperson that they are cheating. They didn't. It wasn't scientific fraud. I would be happy to see real evidence against AGW be published and hashed out in the literature. We aren't talking about real evidence here. We are talking about a mob of "skeptics" who get their understanding of climate science from talk radio, and a handful of cranks who have some scientific training in unrelated or loosely related disciplines. Real scientists with good work that questions the consensus are not being suppressed. Real scientists don't have to break into private computers and steal email in order to make their point.

I will grant one thing; we really need a thorough and unbiased investigation of the CRU, although I suspect that after a big waste of time and money, the denialists will call it a whitewash and refuse to believe it.

This is not correct. These people's work could be removed entirely from the evidence for AGW, and it would still stand. This is only one part of the evidence. And there isn't any evidence of bad science, fraud, or error anyway.

That warming has occurred is only under debate on the (largely uninformed) fringes. I agree that the anthropogenic part of it is less certain, but only slightly so. No one has come up with a natural explanation for the warming that has been observed. Everything that has been touted by the denialist side has turned out to be wrong. I don't see how you can deny the physics of greenhouse gasses. That their concentration has risen dramatically over the past century is simply undeniable. Even if the rising concentration of CO2 wasn't causing warming, it is still acidifying the oceans and needs to be dealt with for that reason as well.

You call this a religious argument, but one side is based on science, and the other side is based on conspiracy theory, misinformation, and the support of the fossil fuel industry.

Then you are agreeing with the point I have been trying hardest to make. Take the original data, investigate it throughly and do so in a setting of complete transparency.

You seem to misunderstand that I do not dispute the data. What I do dispute is the verdict that AGW is established beyond ALL DOUBT. I've been arguing this for twenty years. I cannot tell you how many hundreds of papers I have read on both sides. You claim that ANY contradicting reports are solely the ruse of denialists, but many of the papers I've read came from people who had no ties to the oil industry, or any other businesses or even to one side of the camp or the other, but were just plain reports made which indicated contrary findings. To make such a claim as ALL CONTRADICTING DATA IS A RUSE, you simply reinforce my primary point that you are unwilling to believe anything but that AGW is the ONLY TRUTH.

What I have watched take place over the last twenty years is climate science getting derailed completely from an objective, NEUTRAL, science into two warring camps of TRUE BELIEVERS neither of which is willing to allow anyone to remain neutral. If I say I doubt Agw is proven, I get labeled as a denialist, if I say I am for green technology and cleaning up the environment, I get labeled a AGW freak.

The data speaks for itself. I have been looking at that data for twenty years, and it still comes down to "Global warming is happening. It may be due to human made pollution, it may be due to natural causes, it may be a planetary cycle. The precise cause is still open to debate." What that data tells ME, and has every single time I have had this debate for 20 years, is that further research needs to be done, better models need to be developed, and in the meantime, steps to control or reverse this trend need to be considered. I'm quite sorry, but I'm not willing to simply forgo 20 years worth of personal study of the various claims made to simply decide that I will only believe those that support a given position. Sediments, tree rings, ice cores, and other historical data simply do not align precisely enough to say "Carbon and Carbon alone is the culprit!" In several cases temperatures have risen without CO2, at others the rise in CO2 took place up to a century after a temperature increase. There are no 1 to 1 correlations, just evidence of factors. The data shows me quite well that CO2 does contribute, and reduction of carbon is a good idea. It also shows me that there are multiple factors involved, and that we need considerably more than forty years of temperature data, and a lot better understanding of the behavior of chaotic systems.

What that data DOES NOT tell me is "OMFG WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE IF ONE MORE ATOM OF CARBON GETS RELEASED!!!!!!" Which is the general tone of every AGW true believer.

And that is what sets AGW as a religion, not a science. a Science would be saying, these are all the possible outcomes based on current knowledge. AGW is ONLY saying "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE AND IT'S THE ONLY OUTCOME!!!!!" By denying ANY POSSIBILITY but that one, it's lost all basis in rational thought, and relies on emotional arguments, and deliberately excludes any data which does not agree with that position. You can feel YOU decided based on science, but too many others are merely lead by a belief popularized by High Prophet Gore, and the hundreds of other media stars and icons who have popularized the meme. These people wouldn't know a carbon atom from a frozen popsicle, but they don't need too, because they have their religious leaders to think for them.

Tell me, have you ever actually READ a contradictory report, or has the simple fact that it disagrees with AGW been enough to make you dismiss it without examination?

If you cannot be bothered to examine the data objectively, then you are not making a rational choice, but one based on faith. Your faith says the data has to be wrong, and nothing will make you change your mind.

I've read the emails. I am not relying on second and third hand sources and other's arguments nor am I even basing a damn thing on that use of "trick". I am going on what I personally read and interpreted from the emails. What I saw was a pattern of conversation which indicated that a group of people "in the know" were doing everything to prevent those "not in the know" from finding out that those "in the know" didn't actually have what they claimed to have, knew that they didn't have what they claimed to have, and knew if people found out it would cause enormous problems. The "trick" email was nothing. Worries about "I think they found the problem hidden in the Nature article" and "How could the London Times allow that to be published, I'm going to have to call my inside contact and have word with him!" and "We need to delete all emails about this." and "We can't allow this to be published even if we have to change the rules of peer review to make sure." and "Here's how to hide from FOI requests, don't worry, I have my government contact covering for us too" and "We have to get that editor removed, he's allowing dissenting reports to be published." were the damning evidence. Someone who is confident of their data has no reason to hide anything and EVERY REASON to allow it to stand on it's own merits.

I could care less who released the e-mails or why, but the emails showed secrecy and conspiracy to control scientific literature, news stories, and information given to governments. I don't give a damn what their motive was. I don't give a damn if they felt justified. Their actions have thrown their research into doubt.

And as such, the data must be re-examined. As this data is a PRIMARY SOURCE for governmental policy, especially rigorous examination is a must.

The denialists will make of it what they will. So will the true AGW beleivers. But for the sake of the actual SCIENCE, it has to be done. Science done based on pre-made conclusions is never science, and what these e-mails indicate is that all of this particular set of data was evaluated with pre-made conclusions. Anything which did not fit was tossed out. Even the code released seems to show that it was tailored to provide a pre-chosen result.

Which means that it IS suspect. The only way to remove that suspicion is to ensure utter transparency in it's re-examination, and ACCEPT the results of that re-examination.

Either the data can be confirmed under rigorous examination, or it can't. If it can, than it is validation of the original conclusions. If it DOES NOT, then it means ALL relevant science needs to be re-examined and subjected to that same rigorous, transparent evaluation.

And maybe finally climate science can stop being a popular religion and become a science again.

At no point in my post have I said that reduction of pollution should not occur. Nor have I denied the need to reduce carbon, or that it has bad effects. So please, stop reading into my points your personal versions of what I've said. Again, I will point out that my issue is with the behavior of the scientists in question, and with the way AGW is more of a religion than a true science. True Science evaluates EVERYTHING, not only that which supports it's pre-made conclusions. By sweeping this under the rug, instead of rigorously investigating, re-examining, and redoing the work in complete transparency to the public, AGW supporters simply seek to suppress a challenge to a religious belief, rather than serve the cause of science. If the data is correct, re-examination will prove it, and as such should be seen as the best of all possible evidence against the denialists. That it is being dismissed merely re-enforces the impression that this is a Faith, not a Fact. If they truly had nothing to hide, these scientists should be the loudest voices calling for secondary evaluation and confirmation of their work, because it's the best way to prove their innocence and the validity of their work.

#80 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:29 AM

I'm getting sick of your use of hyperbole. Sure, there are a few nut job environmentalists out there, but there has always been. Note that pretty much every ideology in history has been taken to extremes by small numbers of people. Extremists aside, the theory of AGW is currently in vogue, and partly fashionable. This is a good thing, and is simply the result of a large number of informed people doing their best to involve the average person in what is an extremely important issue for all of us. If even conservative predictions are realised, this will change our way of life unlike anything has before, and has a massive potential for global catastrophe. Why shouldn't this be prominent in the public consciousness? It should be, and is, the top thing in the minds of many people.

See my response to Niner, Grail. And please realize you just made my point again.

#81 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:43 AM

Hummm. Gee wiz, seems I'm not the only one saying this either.

http://nextbigfuture...t-explains.html

J Storrs Hall of Foresight Explains the Medieval Warm Period and Global Warming

There was a Medieval Warm Period (900-1100 AD), in central Greenland at any rate. But we knew that — that’s when the Vikings were naming it Greenland, after all.

*the axis is degrees C. The Greenland ones are actual (yep, it’s cold there), the Vostok are delta of current temp

* CO2 can migrate in ice, but all that does is smooth out the CO2 record. But CO2 is not the temperature proxy — it’s the isotopic fractions of 18Oxygen and deuterium in the actual ice itself.

United Kingdom’s Met (Meteorological) Office announced that the 2000-2009 decade “has been, by far, the warmest decade on the instrumental record”, and that 2009 is on track to become the fifth warmest year in the past 160 years, continuing the warming trend that has accelerated since the 1970s

We’re pretty lucky to be here during this rare, warm period in climate history. But the broader lesson is, climate doesn’t stand still. It doesn’t even stand stay on the relatively constrained range of the last 10,000 years for more than about 10,000 years at a time.

Does this mean that CO2 isn’t a greenhouse gas? No.

Does it mean that it isn’t warming? No.

Does it mean that we shouldn’t develop clean, efficient technology that gets its energy elsewhere than burning fossil fuels? Of course not. We should do all those things for many reasons — but there’s plenty of time to do them the right way, by developing nanotech. (There’s plenty of money, too, but it’s all going to climate science at the moment. ) And that will be a very good thing to have done if we do fall back into an ice age, believe me.

For climate science it means that the Hockey Team climatologists’ insistence that human-emitted CO2 is the only thing that could account for the recent warming trend is probably poppycock.

If we want climate stability then we will the need the geoengineering and climate control technology to achieve that result.

Nanotechnology for global climate control

City scale climate engineering

FURTHER READING
There is a rundown from a climate skeptic who indicates why the historical numbers matter and why the slope of warming matters and why the amount of effect from CO2 matters and why accurate models matter and why the current models do not appear to be accurate.

1. The slope of recent temperature increases is used as evidence for the anthropogenic theory.

The more the warming falls into a documented natural range of temperature variation, the harder it is to portray it as requiring man-made forcings to explain. This is also the exact same reason alarmist scientists work so hard to eliminate the Medieval Warm Period and little ice age from the temperature record. Again, the goal is to show that natural variation is in a very narrow range, and deviations from this narrow range must therefore be man-made.

2. It is already really hard to justify the huge sensitivities in alarmist forecasts based on past warming — if past warming is lower, forecasts look even more absurd.

When projected back to pre-industrial CO2 levels, these future forecasts imply that we should have seen 2,3,4 or more degrees of warming over the last century, and even the flawed surface temperature records we are discussing with a number of upwards biases and questionable adjustments only shows about 0.6C.

Sure, there are some time delay issues, probably 10-15 years, as well as some potential anthropogenic cooling from aerosols, but none of this closes these tremendous gaps. Even with an exaggerated temperature history, only the no feedback 1C per century case is really validated by history. And, if one assumes the actual warming is less than 0.6C, and only a part of that is from anthropogenic CO2, then the actual warming forecast justified is one of negative feedback, showing less than 1C per century warming from manmade CO2 — which is EXACTLY the case that most skeptics make.

Edited by valkyrie_ice, 10 December 2009 - 01:43 AM.

#82 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 02:12 AM

Posted Image

And heres Halls Graph.

the Blue is current data.

so, we are not even as hot as it was 1000 years ago, at the end of the MWP, which itself was not as warm as the Beginning of the Middle Ages... which was actually COOLER than the time of Christ... which itself was cooler than when Moses left Egypt....

Tell me again that "OMFG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE IF ONE MORE ATOM OF CARBON GET'S RELEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

BTW thats the NOAA data. And don't even bother to tell me that Hall's not a climatologist. If an idiot can't read that chart, it would have to be because he's blind.

Obfuscation or denial of plain easy to read data isn't science... but it is a very common tactic used by religions.

Believe in AGW if you must. If it's what it takes to get you to work towards a greener tomorrow, fine. But please understand, it's NOT a science proven beyond all doubt.

#83 rwac

• Topic Starter
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:00 AM

This is the kind of "homogenization" that is so troubling.
http://wattsupwithth...at-darwin-zero/

Then I went to look at what happens when the GHCN removes the "in-homogeneities" to "adjust" the data. Of the five raw datasets, the GHCN discards two, likely because they are short and duplicate existing longer records. The three remaining records are first "homogenized" and then averaged to give the "GHCN Adjusted" temperature record for Darwin.

To my great surprise, here's what I found. To explain the full effect, I am showing this with both datasets starting at the same point (rather than ending at the same point as they are often shown).

YIKES! Before getting homogenized, temperatures in Darwin were falling at 0.7 Celcius per century … but after the homogenization, they were warming at 1.2 Celcius per century. And the adjustment that they made was over two degrees per century … when those guys "adjust", they don't mess around. And the adjustment is an odd shape, with the adjustment first going stepwise, then climbing roughly to stop at 2.4C.

Figure 7. GHCN homogeneity adjustments to Darwin Airport combined record

Attached Files

#84 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:17 AM

http://wattsupwithth...eak/#more-13821

I found this highly interesting. It's an analysis of the data by a experienced SYSADMIN.

Much more likely to be a LEAK than a hack job. Or else the hacker just happened to be a super genius who would make all the l337 super hackers in every TV and Hollywood movie ever seem like kids playing with etch-a-sketches.

So we either have a world class hacker who has a grudge against AGW, or a inside person with a conscience, possibly even the FOI officer who was prevented from fullfilling the FOI requests by the CRU team...

Now... being a computer tech who actually understood the analysis, I'm going to favor that second option.

#85 aikikai

• 251 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 12:57 PM

http://www.globalcli...united-nations/

Open letter to UN from serious scientists.

#86 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:40 PM

Posted Image

And heres Halls Graph.

so, we are not even as hot as it was 1000 years ago, at the end of the MWP, which itself was not as warm as the Beginning of the Middle Ages... which was actually COOLER than the time of Christ... which itself was cooler than when Moses left Egypt....

Tell me again that "OMFG WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE IF ONE MORE ATOM OF CARBON GET'S RELEASED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

BTW thats the NOAA data. And don't even bother to tell me that Hall's not a climatologist. If an idiot can't read that chart, it would have to be because he's blind.

Obfuscation or denial of plain easy to read data isn't science... but it is a very common tactic used by religions.

I have a temperature graph too... It's from http://www.newscient...discovered.html

Attached File  temps.jpg   60.74KB   3 downloads

It doesn't go as far back as JoSH's graph, but it covers the period around 1000, and no one else seems to see the warming he sees. Where does he get his data? I agree that any idiot can read that graph, but I think it takes someone with a deeper understanding of the data than the average idiot to figure out if the underlying data is meaningful.

I never said OMFG We're all going to die if one more atom of carbon gets released, much less with the caps and all those exclamation points...

#87 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

http://www.globalcli...united-nations/

Open letter to UN from serious scientists.

On a site called "global climate scam"? These guys aren't climatologists. Timothy Ball? The denialist who's a regular on the Glenn Beck Show? c'mon.

#88 valkyrie_ice

• 837 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:48 AM

Posted Image

And heres Halls Graph.

I have a temperature graph too... It's from http://www.newscient...discovered.html

Attached File  temps.jpg   60.74KB   3 downloads

It doesn't go as far back as JoSH's graph, but it covers the period around 1000, and no one else seems to see the warming he sees. Where does he get his data? I agree that any idiot can read that graph, but I think it takes someone with a deeper understanding of the data than the average idiot to figure out if the underlying data is meaningful.

I never said OMFG We're all going to die if one more atom of carbon gets released, much less with the caps and all those exclamation points...

1. Did you miss the NOAA? I already said where the graph came from

2. You don't have to say it. the entire AGW movement screams it 24 hours a day for you.

3. The MWP is DOCUMENTED HISTORY. I studied it in school. It was when the Norse settled Greenland, and discovered Vinland (aka America) You know, Eric the Red and Leif Ericsson? It can also be documented via the clothing styles worn in the middle ages, going from lightweight cloth during the early to heavy, back to light, and then returning to heavy. Now, if for some reason you would rather simply dismiss all the data that doesn't come from the CRU approved sources, that's not a indication that the data doesn't exist, simply proof that you have chosen a belief over scientific and historical evidence.

Don't get me wrong Niner, I have no issues with your believing in AGW, But I have been following this for longer than I care to recall, and I study ancient history. I also have been reading science books since the first book I picked up to read was a discarded science text book. I also took ecological science courses back in the early eighties, PRIOR to all the attempts to rewrite history to support AGW.

I've been in this since before global warming was all the rage, back when fears of a new iceage were the big concern. Call it an old dog not falling for new tricks or what ever you want, but I have seen far too much to buy into the panic mongering.

We've been warming for centuries. We've suffered these dramatic spikes in temperature over and over during the course of the Holocene. Greenlands glaciers have melted back so far before that considerable amounts of land were available to farm using old primitive farming techniques and be settled by the Norse. Then got colder again and re froze. Somehow, even without climatologists to tell us how fucked we are, we managed to survive and thrive, even when the early Bronze and Iron age caused nearly as much pollution from toxic fumes during ore production as we pour out now. Knowing what I know, I just can't panic about glaciers melting back towards points that they have been at in the historical documented past. Somehow, when all these things occurred before, we didn't get runaway global meltdown, massive flooding of the coasts, or die out from overheating, so somehow, I just can't see it happening this time either.

You're convinced, fine. I don't care. Stop calling me an idiot for having been exposed to data which refutes your beliefs. We can agree that pollution needs to be eliminated without me having to convert to the faith. Pollution is a real and serious problem. I just refuse to believe AGW is.

Edited by valkyrie_ice, 11 December 2009 - 05:16 AM.

#89 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:15 AM

Now you kids be gettin along in here.
Posted Image

Edited by brokenportal, 11 December 2009 - 05:19 AM.

#90 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

1. Did you miss the NOAA? I already said where the graph came from

2. You don't have to say it. the entire AGW movement screams it 24 hours a day for you.

3. The MWP is DOCUMENTED HISTORY. I studied it in school. It was when the Norse settled Greenland, and discovered Vinland (aka America) You know, Eric the Red and Leif Ericsson? It can also be documented via the clothing styles worn in the middle ages, going from lightweight cloth during the early to heavy, back to light, and then returning to heavy. Now, if for some reason you would rather simply dismiss all the data that doesn't come from the CRU approved sources, that's not a indication that the data doesn't exist, simply proof that you have chosen a belief over scientific and historical evidence.

Don't get me wrong Niner, I have no issues with your believing in AGW, But I have been following this for longer than I care to recall, and I study ancient history. I also have been reading science books since the first book I picked up to read was a discarded science text book. I also took ecological science courses back in the early eighties, PRIOR to all the attempts to rewrite history to support AGW.

I've been in this since before global warming was all the rage, back when fears of a new iceage were the big concern. Call it an old dog not falling for new tricks or what ever you want, but I have seen far too much to buy into the panic mongering.

We've been warming for centuries. We've suffered these dramatic spikes in temperature over and over during the course of the Holocene. Greenlands glaciers have melted back so far before that considerable amounts of land were available to farm using old primitive farming techniques and be settled by the Norse. Then got colder again and re froze. Somehow, even without climatologists to tell us how fucked we are, we managed to survive and thrive, even when the early Bronze and Iron age caused nearly as much pollution from toxic fumes during ore production as we pour out now. Knowing what I know, I just can't panic about glaciers melting back towards points that they have been at in the historical documented past. Somehow, when all these things occurred before, we didn't get runaway global meltdown, massive flooding of the coasts, or die out from overheating, so somehow, I just can't see it happening this time either.

You're convinced, fine. I don't care. Stop calling me an idiot for having been exposed to data which refutes your beliefs. We can agree that pollution needs to be eliminated without me having to convert to the faith. Pollution is a real and serious problem. I just refuse to believe AGW is.

Whoa, I never called you an idiot, and I totally don't think you are an idiot. I think you are a really smart person. You said "if an idiot can't read that chart..." and my use of the word was just a reference to the same hypothetical idiot that you were referring to. Anyway, yes, I did miss the NOAA, but that's actually beside the point. The question is: What is it measuring? Is that a point temperature somewhere in Europe, or an average over some region, or a world average or what? Can it be compared to all those other graphs that I posted, or do they all refer to something that is different? I posted a link to an explanation of the MWP, the existence of which I don't deny, nor does the climate community to the best of my knowledge. Ore production in the bronze and iron age may have been dirty, but it doesn't hold a candle to the amount of CO2 we pour out today; it's not even the same order of magnitude. That's not a thing that brings forcings into question. The population of the world was vastly smaller then as well, for what it's worth. The MWP was a regional, not global phenomenon as I understand it, so one would need to consider it in the context of other global data.

There seems to be an assumption here that climate scientist are complete idiots, that they disregard common knowledge, and that they fudge their data with wild abandon and without any reason. This is an amazingly anti-science attitude that seems to be widely held by the anti-AGW crowd. There are an awful lot of people in the anti community who are not scientists, and certainly the vast vast majority of them are not climate scientists. The anti community is mostly linked by an ideological position, as reflected in the frequent appearance of Tim Ball on the Glenn Beck show. This ideology is known for, among other things, an anti-science stance. "Teach the Controversy" or whatever it was in the Intelligent Design vs Evolutionary Theory debate, for example. I really try to stay out of this kind of debate, to be honest, and all I'm doing in this one is trying to defend science. I do not think that the world is going to end. Neither does the climate science community. Maybe some of the Greenies do, but they don't speak for me. I do think that we need to start taking some steps to put the true cost of fossil fuel on the users of it rather than on society as a whole as we have for the past century or more. In addition to addressing climate change, that's also just correcting a market failure. As we both know, new technology is going to make this a lot easier than the anti crowd generally makes it out to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users