Photo
* * * * * 21 votes

Ten months of research condensed - A total newbies guide to nootropics

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#301 UKADHDs

• 20 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Interesting, i'll give it a go. FWIW i wouldn't say it pooped out as i'm not sure i felt any effect at all, but i'll still try your suggestion!

#302 Phaseshift

• 29 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:49 AM

some say to take alcar and alpha gpc instead of CDP choline, what can you say about that? and would you recommend that over your cdp choline recommendation?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#303 ZombieGuy

• 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:07 AM

Just a tip for newbies, this post was made when not much research was organized and compiled. If you look through the research more systematically most of this advice doesn't look very good.

Piracetam doesn't have a large effect size on healthy populations.

Pyritinol has many case reports suggesting it can cause serious side-effects.

Sulbutiamine isn't sustainable and may not be a good option for many people even in the short-term.

Lion's mane has very little evidence in its favor compared to others, it's not something to bank on.

What recommendations seem reasonable:

CDP-choline

PhosphatidylSerine

Bacopa

Omega 3 dha/epa (if you don't have much in your diet)

If you want to experiment for possible added benefits (but my no means assured) try aniracetam too.

Remember only motivated (positively or negatively) people will post their experiences, it gives you a really skewed sample. If you want to know what you should expect and what has a good chance of working use google scholar or look the supplement up on examine.
  • like x 8

#304 boythatssomebreath

• 88 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

I bought all of these items, and have taken exactly what was recommended, but I cut all of the mg in half (I respond fairly well to lower levels of Nootropics). I have to admit, it does work on many levels, and even left me focused nearly 16 hours after taking, but I do get a headache when I take this stack. It definitely works, but I do have a couple of other stacks that I cycle that work just as well for me. Think I might need to adjust my Choline a little - hopefully that's the cause of the headaches. If not, I will perform a study to determine which substance is causing the issue. Thanks for the recommendation Likud...

#305 boythatssomebreath

• 88 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

Ok... just read back thru your original post again. You are saying this should be taken everyday, and will be more effective a few months down the road. I typically cycle a few different stacks day to day, but may commit to sticking with this one for a while to determine what the long term results are. Thanks again.

#306 sunnyboy27

• 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hi!

I'd like to ask you some practical questions to your "Smart Diet" :)

Do you also take multivitamins?

What is the fewest amount of Bacopa, effectivly can be taken?

How do you feel about Glutamine, PEAK ATP?

Thank You in Advance! :)

#307 Chopin

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:24 AM

Well, I just bought this entire stack, with the exception of pyritinol, for which I was unable to find a reputable source.

It's a shame that OP hasn't been seen in over a year. Hopefully she didn't die after two years of taking this stack.
  • like x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#308 nickdino

• 162 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

http://onlinelibrary...004393/abstract no effects of vitamin b in this study, i have mentioned this earlier in another thread, really when it comes to supplements all we need is a database with all the substances that do work, have shown their efficacy exhaustively. All the rest is speculation, wishfull thinking etc. What do the people in this community want? real efficacy right? any placebo will wear off and as i see it is detrimental.
  • like x 1

#309 Eruditus

• 100 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

Hi, quick question: Are there any safety issues or unpleasant interactions in combining all of the following herbal sups on a daily basis for a month long period? Ashwagandah, Baccopa Monnieri, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng, Siberian Ginseng, Rhodiola Rosea, Schizandra Schizensis. I'm hoping this many adaptogens doesn't cause hyperthyroidism or something like that :/

#310 boythatssomebreath

• 88 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

Hi, quick question: Are there any safety issues or unpleasant interactions in combining all of the following herbal sups on a daily basis for a month long period? Ashwagandah, Baccopa Monnieri, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginseng, Siberian Ginseng, Rhodiola Rosea, Schizandra Schizensis. I'm hoping this many adaptogens doesn't cause hyperthyroidism or something like that :/

I don't understand why this is posted here - you should start a new post.

#311 boythatssomebreath

• 88 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

This stack is amazing - I can't say enough good things about it. I continue to take this stack Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. My two sons take this stack on these days as well... seems to get better each week. I'm a fan...

#312 boythatssomebreath

• 88 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2013 - 02:01 AM

Still taking this Monday, Wednesday, and Friday - and so are my two sons. This is the best stack we've came across in nearly eight years of experimenting with Nootropics. Likud was really on to something here. I do typically use Phenylpiracetam in place of Piracetam though.
  • like x 1

#313 ZHMike

• 227 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

anyone else taking sulbutiamine long term? I hear such mixed reviews on different threads.

#314 Brainy

• 37 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

or you can go with the good old Modafinil, the good good old modafinil :laugh: http://brainenhancingdrugshq.com

#315 Even_Smarter

• 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hi there,

I am currently taking this regimen of nootropics:

1) CDPCholine Cholin
2) Either sulbutiamine or pyritinol
3) Lion's Mane
4) Fish Oil
5) PhosphatidylSerine
6) Bacopa

So I wanted to know what doses do you take? Also did you have any longterm side effects, especially on memory? I am taking sulbutamine for 2 days now and it constantly gives me this pleasurable adderall feeling and also a tense jaw, although this effect is supposed to go away soon. I could not differ between Sulbutamine and Amph. by now... I dont know if it is that healthy.

#316 kai2

• 26 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Yup, great thread.

I also recommend ALCAR Arginate for neurite growth which is probably comparable to supplementing with NGF itself. Not proven in vivo yet, but the in vitro studies are promising.

Some say you should take this with alpha lipholic acid. But is there one that has both mixed together as a pill or you have to take separate? I tend to miss a pill here and there sometimes so it would be easier having one that contains all in one, like a multi for example.
thanks

Take them separately because the ALA and the ALCAR react together to form some kind of polymer like mush in your gut if you take them at the same time. Not good.

Hi hamishm00,

It seems to be a very common recommendation to take ALA and ALCAR together. Could you provide some more information about your statement about that not being a good idea?

#317 kai2

• 26 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

Ok... just read back thru your original post again. You are saying this should be taken everyday, and will be more effective a few months down the road. I typically cycle a few different stacks day to day, but may commit to sticking with this one for a while to determine what the long term results are. Thanks again.

This stack is amazing - I can't say enough good things about it. I continue to take this stack Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. My two sons take this stack on these days as well... seems to get better each week. I'm a fan...

Still taking this Monday, Wednesday, and Friday - and so are my two sons. This is the best stack we've came across in nearly eight years of experimenting with Nootropics. Likud was really on to something here. I do typically use Phenylpiracetam in place of Piracetam though.

Hi boythatssomebreath,

Did you follow through on your plan to test *not* cycling this stack so that you could gauge the effects vs that of cycling this stack? If so, what did you learn?

Also, what other stacks have you been successfully rotating with this one?

#318 boythatssomebreath

• 88 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

No, I did not follow through on taking this stack daily. I still take it Mon., Wed., Fri. as follows:

5:30 a.m. (on an empty stomach)
Cup of coffee
Picamilon 100 mg
CDP Choline 150 - 250 mg
Phenypiracetam 100 mg (sometimes use approx. 1800 mg of Piracetam instead). I have also used approx. 250 mg of Pramiracetam here as well. I do take Pram. with food though.

6:30 a.m. (with food)
Aniracetam 350 - 700 mg
Phosphatdyl Serine Matrix 500 mg (Source Naturals)
Bacopa 250 - 500 mg

On Tuesday I do what has been called "The Study Stack":
5:30 a.m. (empty stomach)
Cup of coffee
Oxiracetam 500 mg
CDP Choline 150 - 250 mg
L-Theanine 100 mg
Rhodolia 327 mg

1/2 a Solaray Hup A capsule (about 25 mg). Capsules also have Eleuthero and Lecithin.
Aniracetam 350 - 700 mg
Vinpocetine 5 mg

Thursday
CILTEP
Forskohlii 3.85 mg
DLPA 750 mg
Artichoke 750 mg

Saturday - experimentation day.

Sunday - No noots day

I am not a Neuroscience student, nor a nootropic expert, but am an engineer for a defense / space company, and a full-time student as well, and these stacks work very well for me. I believe that due to rotating these stacks daily, the noots always seem as though I'm taking them for the first time.
  • like x 1

#319 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

I always thought Alpha GPC was a more bioavailable source of Choline. Do you recommend CDP Choline because of economics?

#320 Louie A

• 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:42 AM

I do have a question regarding this post. it's all good info for someone like myself that is starting out. Now which choline is better? I know that some are very expensive then others but why? 

Is Alpha GPC better then CDP Choline?

#321 pi-

• 73 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

How would Pramiracetam and Noopept fit in with this stack? I'm curious why they haven't got a mention...

How would Pramiracetam and Noopept fit in with this stack? I'm curious why they haven't got a mention...

EDIT: whoops I just noticed this thread has 11 pages and I was just looking at the first one.  My bad.

Edited by pi-, 23 June 2014 - 12:21 PM.

#322 Rafael P

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

I have just bought a mix of Noopept (30mg) and Choline (100mg), which comes in a 100x pills bottle. I also bought a pure 25g Sulbutiamine powder.

One thing I have noted is 100mg of choline is not considered a high enough dose. Am I correct? What about Sulbutiamine, I have seen people shooting the 250mg-500mg spam, is this enough? Another thing is there is little info on Noopept, so Im no so sure about its power and safety (are you?). Any input on that couple questions?

So my plan is to take 2x Noopept/Choline pills a day (morning and afternoon) + 2x 250mg Sulbutiamine together with the pills.

Is this a solid plan?

#323 StarMitten20818

• 25 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:02 AM

I have just bought a mix of Noopept (30mg) and Choline (100mg), which comes in a 100x pills bottle. I also bought a pure 25g Sulbutiamine powder.

One thing I have noted is 100mg of choline is not considered a high enough dose. Am I correct? What about Sulbutiamine, I have seen people shooting the 250mg-500mg spam, is this enough? Another thing is there is little info on Noopept, so Im no so sure about its power and safety (are you?). Any input on that couple questions?

So my plan is to take 2x Noopept/Choline pills a day (morning and afternoon) + 2x 250mg Sulbutiamine together with the pills.

Is this a solid plan?

yah man. choline will build over time. don"t need sulbutiamine.

#324 zaratoo

• 30 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

Old post, but still..

I believe Noopept dose is rather excessive. 30mg is max recommended by manufacturer in rare cases. I like to load it such stuff for a week at 15-20mg bid and then get to 10mg bid. Some people here get away with 5mg qd..

Also there were plenty info on it by the middle of 2014..

As for choline, it seems to be highly individual. And the form matters, alot..

I got 25g of sulbutiamine myself recently and experimenting now.. Looks like general concensus is that it's good acute upper/mood enhancer with fast-building tolerance. Although there's a thread over here 'Sulbutiamine actually for the long term?' with some interesting points suggested. I myself decided to take it daily for a month at 300-500mg qd in the morning with my BP-ish coffee. In hope to upregulate DA system.

This protocol is close to manufacturer's recommendations according to the thread. Instruction sheet for Enerion (trade name here in Russia) says: 400-600mg daily in two doses (monr and lunch) no longer than for 4 weeks.

Maybe I should up my dose to get 600mg or even 1g as some users here.. But twice daily seems pointless since sulb is fat-soluble and easily penetrates BBB and accumulates inside cells. Dunno, having only 25g I don't want to use it all for this one month experiment without possibility to try it in other applications.

I guess Rafael won't find my post useful, since he must have a lot of his own experience now, but maybe someone will..

Is this a solid plan?

#325 White Angel

• 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:00 AM

Please which nootropics or stacks are effective for promoting alertness (promoting wakefulness while studying)?

#326 usbrain

• 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

Cafe and vitamin B is best for alertness.

#327 Fred Schaeffer

• 1 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 March 2015 - 07:14 PM

This is an awesome thread and, as a newbie, I will immediately move to "patch some holes".

Is there a good, comprehensive, and up-to-date reference book that would be recommended (high-level is fine)?

Thank you very much and best regards,

Fred

#328 Adam Karlovsky

• Guest, Moderator
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 11:54 PM

Just read the OP but not the comments (running out of time atm), here's my 2c

There's like one or two small studies that show trends towards better cognition with long term administration. It's really more of a brain health supplement than a cognitive enhancer. If you have deficits then it might restore back to normal, but unlikely to 'go beyond' unless the trends hold for months/years beyond what we've seen in studies.

Picamilon is widely found to be useless, while Aniracetam and Lion's Mane are not evidence based nootropics, purely anecdotal. Though I'd believe Aniracetam is more likely to be nootropic than piracetam, piracetam has more evidence for it's safety.

Phosphatidylserine is probably decent but I've never bought it or looked at the price at all. Would likely synergize with cdp-choline.
Bacopa is great, I'm really sold on it honestly. Little to no acute effects, but seems really promising with chronic administration. Probably actually does what people expect from piracetam.

• Good Point x 1

#329 linlin92

• 53 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 12:31 PM

I think supplementation wise, its a nice little stack to partly overcome mental fatigue/fogginess that makes the day really drag but for healthy people with enough sleep I figure its not going to make a massive difference. I certainly wouldn't take it long term (I personally like having my weekends free of noots and other substances that overclocks my hard working brain).

For the head clearing effects I give thumbs up to 1g ALCAR taken first thing in the morning before breakfast. Phenylpiracetam is way more effective and stimulating than piracetam but just like sulbutiamine, tolerance builds fast so I find that its best saved for those 'special' occasions.

To be honest I thought this thread would have way more noots than whats listed. I guess OP was serious about this being a totes newbies guide!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#330 NewtropicsNewbie

• 3 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 05:54 PM

Obviously an old post. However, much of it is still relevant! Thanks for the info

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)