Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What do you eat for breakfast?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 oehaut

• 393 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:36 PM

As stated in a recent thread, i'm really bored about eating the same things day in/day out and i'm afraid in the long term this could cause some allergic response.

I use to be on a somewhat strict paleo diet (althought I doubt paleo people had acces to chicken eggs) and was eating 4-5 eggs every morning with one whole tomatoe, but for the allergic reason, and probably cholesterol issue too - and since i'm not so strict about being paleo anymore, i've started to eat gluten free oat with 85% chocolate + whey as a breakfast. I really like it but again, that's about the only thing I can think of.

What do you guys eat for breakfast? I feel breakfast is the hardest meal to think about. I'm trying to avoid dairy and gluten as much as possible, but i'm open to any idea.

#2 gregandbeaker

• 184 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

As stated in a recent thread, i'm really bored about eating the same things day in/day out and i'm afraid in the long term this could cause some allergic response.

I use to be on a somewhat strict paleo diet (althought I doubt paleo people had acces to chicken eggs) and was eating 4-5 eggs every morning with one whole tomatoe, but for the allergic reason, and probably cholesterol issue too - and since i'm not so strict about being paleo anymore, i've started to eat gluten free oat with 85% chocolate + whey as a breakfast. I really like it but again, that's about the only thing I can think of.

What do you guys eat for breakfast? I feel breakfast is the hardest meal to think about. I'm trying to avoid dairy and gluten as much as possible, but i'm open to any idea.

I steamed up a piece of Cod and ate it with olive oil and a habanero hot sauce.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:57 PM

This is what I plan to have as part of the CRON diet I've been putting together:

bowl of mixed berries and grapes
macadamia nuts
raw cocoa powder
ground cinnamon
ground flaxseed
yoghurt
coconut oil

big plateful of shiitake and white button mushrooms
add parsley, thyme, garlic and olive oil and steam for 5-10 mins - serve with tabasco sauce
apparently it's a good idea to soak the mushrooms in lemon juice or vinegar for 5 minutes first

Edited by TripleHelix, 27 January 2010 - 09:00 PM.

#4 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:58 PM

power shakes are the way to go... generally i do:

1/2 cup GF oats
1 cup berries
~30g egg/whey protein isolate mixture
1tbsp oil (either hemp or evoo)

i will titrate the ingredients up or down depending on my needs for the day, ie workout day or off day...

#5 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:59 PM

apparently it's a good idea to soak the mushrooms in lemon juice or vinegar for 5 minutes first

why>?

#6 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:03 PM

why>?

Not sure but that's what I'm getting from the good people of the interwebs. It may just be to prevent discolouration from the steaming.

#7 oehaut

• Topic Starter
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:15 PM

Do you eat this every morning?

power shakes are the way to go... generally i do:

1/2 cup GF oats
1 cup berries
~30g egg/whey protein isolate mixture
1tbsp oil (either hemp or evoo)

What liquid do you use with this? water?

bowl of mixed berries and grapes
macadamia nuts
raw cocoa powder
ground cinnamon
ground flaxseed
yoghurt
coconut oil

How do you eat that? You mixed it all with the yoghurt? Also, this looks low in protein. I'm trying to get around 30 g of protein at every meal (3 meal a day).

Edited by oehaut, 27 January 2010 - 10:17 PM.

#8 gregandbeaker

• 184 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

Do you eat this every morning?

No, I try to diversify my diet as much as possible, but I do generally eat a lot of fish, and a lot of homemade hot sauce. Sometimes eggs, sometimes power shakes, sometimes leftovers from dinner, and a lot of times nothing for breakfast.

#9 Jay

• 406 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:32 PM

I have a two breakfasts at this point.

Breakfast one: 3-4 omega 3 eggs, hard boiled, mashed with herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano etc), and mixed with melted coconut oil and pastured butter. As a slight hedge to the MUFA crowd, I've started to include some macadamia nut butter on the side. :-D

Breakfast two: Oatmeal, with grass-fed heavy whipping cream, coconut oil, and flax added after cooking is over. Sometimes, I add a little brown rice syrup (all glucose) for sweetness. Alternatively, I sometimes use hot rice cereal or hot buckwheat cereal.

With the main meal, I take fish oil and D3. I also add K2 (100mcg mk-7), CoQ10, and cod liver oil (for extra retinol), all on alternate days.

Often I have wild blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, or a banana, but I try to have the fruit before the other stuff so no fructose mixes with the fats/proteins in the stomach or in the portal vein. Maybe silly, I don't know.

I drink several cups of green tea throughout the morning.

Edited by Jay, 27 January 2010 - 10:41 PM.

#10 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

Also, this looks low in protein. I'm trying to get around 30 g of protein at every meal (3 meal a day).

Yeah, with the mushrooms as well it's still only ~15g protein, but then I'm only going for ~70g/day over four meals. I've heard it's best to weight your calorie intake towards the early part of the day so you might want to consider leaning more towards fats rather than protein at breakfast time, and if you exercise at some point save more of the protein for after that.

#11 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:50 PM

I try to have the fruit before the other stuff so no fructose mixes with the fats/proteins in the stomach or in the portal vein. Maybe silly, I don't know.

*sigh* sounds like another thing I need to look into.

#12 Apchi

• 34 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 11:30 PM

One cup holding the following:

rolled oats
whey isolate
probiotic kefir
coconut milk
stevia
cinnamon
raw cacao
optional ;rice milk, diced banana, flaxmeal/ground flaxseed/blueberries,dessicated coconut
no cooking. takes ~ 1 min to make

tastes so good I have a similar thing late evening at well

in addition(seperately);
paste souce
raw brocolli sprouts/younglings

#13 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

I often eat nothing for breakfast, as I am of the opinion its a net-positive skipping it intermittently...

However when I do eat breakfast I have one of three choices:

1. Omelette: 2-4 eggs, bacon, mushroom, and an aged hard cheese. Extras based on availability: tomatoes, peppers, sausage, liver (in sausage form).

2. Leftovers from last nights dinner: This is when I wake up hungry and/or have leftovers available and/or won't be eating the leftovers for lunch/dinner.

3. My 'Super Shake':

Pure pomegranate juice
Coconut milk
1/2-1 Cup of mixed frozen berries (Raspberries (30%), Blackberries (20%), Red currants (20%), Wild blueberries (20%) Black currants (10%))
1-2 tablespoons of organic [yada yada yada] yoghurt

Looking to add in the future (once I have researched/obtained quality sources):
whey protein
raw egg
raw cocoa powder
ground cinnamon
ground flaxseed

#14 eason

• 126 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:56 AM

I rotate my breakfast quite a bit, but it's pretty similar to those listed here.

From a life extension perspective, it's not a good idea to make a shake. It increases the glycemic index of a meal.

#15 Solitude

• Guest, F@H
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:12 AM

Cocoa powder mixes very well with yogurt (full fat, greek, sugar free if possible) with a bit of stirring. Throw whatever else you want in there for wonderful chocolate goodness.

#16 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:38 AM

Oatmeal with coconut oil, splenda, and a half cup of frozen blueberries. Once a week I have a large omelet with meat, cheese, and veggies. There are several other people around here who have independently settled on oatmeal, coconut oil and blueberries. It's the Official ImmInst Breakfast. Breakfast of Immortals©

#17 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:06 AM

what i've been having for breakfast lately is this.

about a half cup of blueberries
one sliced banana
handful of raw cashews
handful of macadamia nuts
1/4 cup of coconut oil
tablespoon roasted flax seeds

First place the berries and sliced banana in a small bowl, then the nuts, then pour the coconut milk in, then sprinkle the flax seeds and eat as if you're eating a bowl of cereal. This is my only fatty meal of the day. It is a balance of Omega3 and Omega6 and PUFA and SFA so I don't think it is bad. Other days I eat organic oatmeal with berries and nuts thrown in and lightly cooked plantain chips.

#18 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

what i've been having for breakfast lately is this.

about a half cup of blueberries
one sliced banana
handful of raw cashews
handful of macadamia nuts
1/4 cup of coconut oil
tablespoon roasted flax seeds

First place the berries and sliced banana in a small bowl, then the nuts, then pour the coconut milk in, then sprinkle the flax seeds and eat as if you're eating a bowl of cereal. This is my only fatty meal of the day. It is a balance of Omega3 and Omega6 and PUFA and SFA so I don't think it is bad. Other days I eat organic oatmeal with berries and nuts thrown in and lightly cooked plantain chips.

coconut milk*

I don't think i'd eat 1/4 coconut oil at one time.

#19 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:33 AM

I practically never eat breakfast anymore. I wait until I'm hungry, typically around noon or 1. This also keeps me in a fasting, fat-burning mode for 4-5 more hours. Then I'll have a 30-gram-fat/20-gram-protein shake, along with 5-10 grams extra dark chocolate.

Basically, I only eat when I'm hungry. Usually twice a day now, maybe a snack or two, like 15 macadamia nuts or a big scoop of coconut oil on top of dark chocolate.

#20 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:56 AM

I had cupcakes made from eggs, coconut and blueberries, with whipped cream.

Edited by rwac, 30 January 2010 - 03:57 AM.

#21 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 04:25 AM

This morning it was 4 whole free range eggs lightly cooked in 1tablespoon of organic coconut oil & a grapefruit. Keep me satisfied for a few hours.

#22 RighteousReason

• 2,491 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:08 PM

jesus christ
  • dislike x 1

#23 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:13 PM

I practically never eat breakfast anymore. I wait until I'm hungry, typically around noon or 1. This also keeps me in a fasting, fat-burning mode for 4-5 more hours. Then I'll have a 30-gram-fat/20-gram-protein shake, along with 5-10 grams extra dark chocolate.

Basically, I only eat when I'm hungry. Usually twice a day now, maybe a snack or two, like 15 macadamia nuts or a big scoop of coconut oil on top of dark chocolate.

Don't they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that it is unhealthy to skip it?

I used to skip breakfasts too but kinda try to eat them cause of that, can you share your opinions please? :-D
Anyone else too :D

#24 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

jesus christ

shh, important thread is important

#25 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

Don't they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day and that it is unhealthy to skip it?

I used to skip breakfasts too but kinda try to eat them cause of that, can you share your opinions please? :-D

I used to read and believe that, too. But, since I've not been eating breakfast (unless I'm hungry, which is rare) I've not noticed any negative effect. My energy level is always great. Many other paleo eaters also find that they don't need breakfast, and they continue to lose bodyfat and feel energetic. It makes sense that we are well adapted to not needing to eat breakfast--and instead eating later in the day after a hunt, or after foraging.

BTW, if you eat a normal- to high-carb diet, then you will be hungry in the morning, and not eating breakfast is much harder. But, on a high-fat, low-carb diet, hunger is MUCH less of an issue. I often go to 2 or 4 in the afternoon before I sense any slight hunger.

#26 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:02 AM

jesus christ

Does this comment have a point? Are you praying?

If this is a pointless comment, then I shall delete it, but maybe I missed your point.

#27 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:29 AM

I used to read and believe that, too. But, since I've not been eating breakfast (unless I'm hungry, which is rare) I've not noticed any negative effect. My energy level is always great. Many other paleo eaters also find that they don't need breakfast, and they continue to lose bodyfat and feel energetic. It makes sense that we are well adapted to not needing to eat breakfast--and instead eating later in the day after a hunt, or after foraging.

BTW, if you eat a normal- to high-carb diet, then you will be hungry in the morning, and not eating breakfast is much harder. But, on a high-fat, low-carb diet, hunger is MUCH less of an issue. I often go to 2 or 4 in the afternoon before I sense any slight hunger.

I know this should be in the exercise section but nevertheless Duke, how's your training like? Do you train in the morning on a fasted state or later in the afternoon after you've had your meal ?

#28 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 03:54 AM

Actually I seem to never been hungry in the mornings ^^ and until I eat my first meal, not eating is really really easy ^^ after that it's not all that bad but at times can be harder, depends on what I eat (usually all carbs, so I guess it is differences in the carbs type?)

#29 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:20 PM

I know this should be in the exercise section but nevertheless Duke, how's your training like? Do you train in the morning on a fasted state or later in the afternoon after you've had your meal ?

I only hit the gym about six times a month. I often train in a fasted state, always at noon, and do not eat for 1-2 hours after training, in order to facilitate better fat-burning. As soon as you eat (especially carbs) then you shut down fat burning.

All of the pre- and post-workout carb-loading is completely unnecessary, and in fact is likely counter-productive to building a healthier body without gaining bodyfat. BTW, I do practically no cardio, except mountain biking 2-3 times a week. Mountain biking is the perfect cardio-style exercise because it's mostly coasting (downhill) or mild peddling (85-90% of the time), with occasional super intense uphill bursts (10-15%). This variability, including occasional maximum intensity bursts, is the best type of non-injurious, yet beneficial, type of cardio. I would NEVER waste my time doing steady-pace, consistent moderate intensity cardio.

#30 oehaut

• Topic Starter
  • 393 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

Thanks to everybody for your feedback. I'm gonna see if I could not integrate some kind of these shakes presented here 2-3 morning a week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users