Photo
- - - - -

I want to be like that guy

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:23 AM

A nice documentary putting things into perspective for these that are wondering "how much does it takes to look like THAT guy on the cover of the mag". And overall a good conluding material on what's actually needed to get into shape (any kind. contest or just a healthy shape). Supplements? Kinda.. Certain magic pills that will shed your fat off? Kinda...NOT..

http://vidreel.com/video/NTk0MDU0/

Edited by VidX, 13 February 2010 - 07:24 AM.

#2 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:48 AM

can you find one for how to look like that girl too? I could use that ;)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 sentrysnipe

• 491 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 08:53 AM

I am already at the 3 minute mark of the video and I am guessing it has to do a lot about Aromatase inhibitors (for his gut fat) and DIM ("eating lots of broccoli").

Edited by sentrysnipe, 13 February 2010 - 08:53 AM.

#4 VidX

• Topic Starter
  • 865 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:26 AM

Luna>Lol. You know.. I'm sure you could use that with slight adjustments. really.
But shall your wish be fulfilled: www.chickentuna.com . read what she has to say about diet. Pretty similar to this documentary in some way. ;)

sentrysnipe>Well it COULD, but at this case it's just a diet and exrcise. I've seen that happen. It's more about WOS (WIll Of Steel :D).

p.s. - I'm sure he took some over the counter fat burners and probably even something like DIM. Though I'm highly sceptical about these things working. Maybe like 15% out of the rest 85% (diet and exercise), that makes the main job.

Edited by VidX, 13 February 2010 - 09:29 AM.

#5 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

the first image on that on that page you linked for me is actually pretty scary..

#6 VidX

• Topic Starter
  • 865 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:33 AM

It's just "un"adjusted eye lol.. You'd be surprised of how perception of things may change once you get deeper into it. Though probably it's better not to, as perfectionism and kinda skewed body image is the name of the game.

#7 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 11:43 AM

Posted Image

That desn't look perfect, it looks a bit disgusting.

#8 VidX

• Topic Starter
  • 865 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:10 PM

I believe, though I'm used to this so it's kinda "norm" in my perception.

#9 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 02:14 PM

how is it normal? look at her veins and weird shape of belly and folds and O_o

#10 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:32 PM

I am already at the 3 minute mark of the video and I am guessing it has to do a lot about Aromatase inhibitors (for his gut fat) and DIM ("eating lots of broccoli").

Not

#11 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

Luna>Lol. You know.. I'm sure you could use that with slight adjustments. really.
But shall your wish be fulfilled: www.chickentuna.com . read what she has to say about diet. Pretty similar to this documentary in some way. ;)

sentrysnipe>Well it COULD, but at this case it's just a diet and exrcise. I've seen that happen. It's more about WOS (WIll Of Steel :D).

p.s. - I'm sure he took some over the counter fat burners and probably even something like DIM. Though I'm highly sceptical about these things working. Maybe like 15% out of the rest 85% (diet and exercise), that makes the main job.

More like 5% and the rest diet/exercise.

#12 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

Posted Image

Yes, it is odd to see a woman with very little body fat, certainly below the range that is considered "healthy".

#13 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:46 PM

I watched the whole video. Some observations.

Jeff said you need direct bicep, tricep, etc. work or the muscles may shrink somewhat. Bull. Hitting the major muscle groups will also work the smaller ones. Hence no shrinkage.

Cant believe he ballooned up so much in phase 2.

Cardio twice a day and don't worry if you faint, fall down. Stay strict to your diet. That's really healthy.

He said single bodyfat levels are unsustainable and unhealthy. Many are healthy who maintain single digit levels. Big Big difference between 4% and 7-9%

A better less exhausting approach IMO would have been to have started out on a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) till he was around 15% bodyfat. Then used a diet/exercise program like Lyle Mcdonalds Ultimate Diet 2.0
Diet strict 3.5 days a week and eat normally and overeat for one day while still losing at least 1 lb of fat per week.

#14 VidX

• Topic Starter
  • 865 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:35 PM

I Hitting the major muscle groups will also work the smaller ones. Hence no shrinkage.

That's exactly what he said actually.

Cardio twice a day and don't worry if you faint, fall down. Stay strict to your diet. That's really healthy.

It's not healthy. it's what it takes to be a single digit bodyfat at a certain deadline..

He said single bodyfat levels are unsustainable and unhealthy. Many are healthy who maintain single digit levels. Big Big difference between 4% and 7-9%

Agreed. Obviously bodybuilding contest was the main goal.

A better less exhausting approach IMO would have been to have started out on a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast) till he was around 15% bodyfat. Then used a diet/exercise program like Lyle Mcdonalds Ultimate Diet 2.0
Diet strict 3.5 days a week and eat normally and overeat for one day while still losing at least 1 lb of fat per week.

After almost 10years in this sport I could say that what he did is the usual "drill", the most straightforward way. As with various dieting techniques u may get confused very fast as different people will react differently to these load-ups, cycling, etc...
It's very basic really. The main obstacles that need to be overcomed are the psychological ones.. I personally hate the dieting, that's why I attempted just one competition. Though I'm lucky I can maintain ~ 10-12% without any diet no probs..

#15 VidX

• Topic Starter
  • 865 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

Yes, it is odd to see a woman with very little body fat, certainly below the range that is considered "healthy".

It's not healthy, esp for a woman, though I suppose she has a fast metabolism, has a lot of physical actovity and her diet is very low on carbs (as she says) but overall a really healthy one, vegetables, fish, chicken.. So it depends..

#16 VampIyer

• 204 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:14 AM

Posted Image

Don't chase that ideal... it isn't ideal.

I like fit women, but I could do W/O the implants... and a few additional pounds of fat on that muscular frame might even be beneficial for athletic purposes.

#17 VidX

• Topic Starter
  • 865 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:47 AM

Well in motion she looks better (to the "untrained"/unadjusted eye) imho:

Edited by VidX, 14 February 2010 - 06:48 AM.

• like x 1

#18 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:52 AM

No she doesn't! look at the veins.. eww.. O_o her body doesn't look good. Sorry but some fat IS NEEDED. Just not too much fat.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 2

#19 MV004

• 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:17 AM

No she doesn't! look at the veins.. eww.. O_o her body doesn't look good. Sorry but some fat IS NEEDED. Just not too much fat.

I'm not going to say which side I'm leaning towards - but how can you judge what looks good and what doesn't?

I would think members of this community - being somewhat of a counter-culture itself in some capacity, would be tolerant of other counter-cultures.

Not everybody "outside" of your own lifestyle will appreciate yours...

NB: This was not directly at you, but as an 'in general' to the quoted thoughts (and a few previous posts)

Edited by MV004, 14 February 2010 - 07:18 AM.

#20 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:45 AM

I'm not going to say which side I'm leaning towards - but how can you judge what looks good and what doesn't?

I would think members of this community - being somewhat of a counter-culture itself in some capacity, would be tolerant of other counter-cultures.

NB: This was not directly at you, but as an 'in general' to the quoted thoughts (and a few previous posts)

I am not telling anyone not to do their lifestyle, what I am saying is that in my opinion her body does not look good. She likes it, I don't, her body, her choice. I won't choose to look like that.

How can I judge what looks good and what doesn't? It is a matter of taste I guess, some have different taste.
In my opinion veins showing all over your body and weird skin folding due to lack of fat and weird muscle does NOT look good on a girl (and not on a guy either, who look all veiny and muscular and.. fleshy..)

#21 VidX

• Topic Starter
  • 865 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

yeah, I remember when I staretd bb'ing I didn't like the "contest" condition either. For the first few years thought I'd like to hols "a little fat", like in offseason. But now I appreciate that veiny look. It's all perception really and how u look at things. Though I completely understand that she may look gross to orinary people, it's just kinda weird that I can't see that anymore lol..

#22 MV004

• 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:26 AM

I am not telling anyone not to do their lifestyle, what I am saying is that in my opinion her body does not look good. She likes it, I don't, her body, her choice. I won't choose to look like that.

How can I judge what looks good and what doesn't? It is a matter of taste I guess, some have different taste.
In my opinion veins showing all over your body and weird skin folding due to lack of fat and weird muscle does NOT look good on a girl (and not on a guy either, who look all veiny and muscular and.. fleshy..)

Even though my post wasn't directed at you specifically and meant rhetorically, I appreciate the response (srs)

#23 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

Going on a low-carb, high-fat diet significantly reduced my body fat levels (probably somewhere around 7% now) from already low levels. Not saying it's good or bad, but that's what happened.

I think that's a bit strange, considering that the consensus seems to be that insulin sensitive people do better (i.e. lose more weight) on a higher carb diet while insulin resistant people are the opposite. Since weight has never been a problem with me -- even when I ate unhealthily -- I think I must be insulin sensitive.

#24 VidX

• Topic Starter
  • 865 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:12 AM

Going on a low-carb, high-fat diet significantly reduced my body fat levels (probably somewhere around 7% now) from already low levels. Not saying it's good or bad, but that's what happened.

I think that's a bit strange, considering that the consensus seems to be that insulin sensitive people do better (i.e. lose more weight) on a higher carb diet while insulin resistant people are the opposite. Since weight has never been a problem with me -- even when I ate unhealthily -- I think I must be insulin sensitive.

I came around the same conclusion for myself (about insulin sensitivity). When I've recently reduced my fructose intake and rely on more various vegetables my already low BF decreased by a percent or two. I wonder if I'd do the fat experiment, as I consume plenty of complex carbs in grains. How are your energy levels? How about glycogen storage?

#25 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 01:43 PM

I Hitting the major muscle groups will also work the smaller ones. Hence no shrinkage.

That's exactly what he said actually.

It's not healthy. it's what it takes to be a single digit bodyfat at a certain deadline..

Agreed. Obviously bodybuilding contest was the main goal.

After almost 10years in this sport I could say that what he did is the usual "drill", the most straightforward way. As with various dieting techniques u may get confused very fast as different people will react differently to these load-ups, cycling, etc...
It's very basic really. The main obstacles that need to be overcomed are the psychological ones.. I personally hate the dieting, that's why I attempted just one competition. Though I'm lucky I can maintain ~ 10-12% without any diet no probs..

No he actually did say they would shrink some. I've followed the scene for over 30 years, no confusion here.

#26 VidX

• Topic Starter
  • 865 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

I can check it, but from what I remember he said - No probs, we'll do some other exrcises, like for a back, so your biceps will work anyway to some extent, thus preventing any shrinkage. Unless he mentioned that they can shrink some anyway, what I'd say may be true. As let's say I do standing EZ curls with 155lb (yes, strict form), no way I'd work them to that extent while doing pull ups or barbell row.
Anyway, that dude was a novice, so it's a diff situation too.

#27 gregandbeaker

• 184 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 06:23 PM

Thanks for posting the link to that film, VidX. I enjoyed watching it. Perhaps they should rename that competition to "Competitive Eating Disorders." :) I wonder if he's done anything to maintain the physique he worked so hard for after the event.

#28 VidX

• Topic Starter
  • 865 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 09:12 PM

I guess once you get into shape at least one time - you don't want to let that go, so probably dude's around 17%bf now... or just fat again lol.. Though I was imprssed myself of what he did in that time. That trainer really knew what he was doing.

#29 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:45 PM

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 mongfu

• 46 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:15 PM

That was the funniest shit ever!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users