• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Products to improve the elasticity of skin?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:36 PM

I don't encourage or discourage people to do anything on my blog, I'm merely sharing my personal experience so that people can form their own conclusions.

Okay then why scoff at people who in their own personal accounts are saying MSM has had noticeable detox effects? It's alright to report that a supplement is doing nothing but not that it is having X or Y effect?

*sigh* How about a little reading comprehension there, big boy? Allow me to repeat:

However, I view any and all claims about "detoxification" with lots of skepticism. I also found it funny that you mentioned people had experienced detox effects from taking MSM -- what exactly does detoxification feel like? Did they measure their levels of... toxins? What toxins are those precisely?

No, you have this attitude about all anecdotal reports of supplement effects that are not yet scientifically studied. But it is alright to report no effect at all, despite the fact that the studies show overall effectiveness? Makes no sense. Plus it is impossible to make an assessment based on you hiding your age and level of photo-damage. We cannot simply trust 'it did nothing for me'. Give more details then the objective sources can determine whether or not it did nothing for you or not, Mister scientific.

I reason he is about the same age as you, but from Finland, so he probably has little UV damage due to its Northern location (especially so since he works in IT?).

That said, if we are going to bitch about not providing enough personal details, then you are also guilty. What do you look like? What's your age? Details details. :)

#32 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:38 AM

I don't encourage or discourage people to do anything on my blog, I'm merely sharing my personal experience so that people can form their own conclusions.

Okay then why scoff at people who in their own personal accounts are saying MSM has had noticeable detox effects? It's alright to report that a supplement is doing nothing but not that it is having X or Y effect?

*sigh* How about a little reading comprehension there, big boy? Allow me to repeat:

However, I view any and all claims about "detoxification" with lots of skepticism. I also found it funny that you mentioned people had experienced detox effects from taking MSM -- what exactly does detoxification feel like? Did they measure their levels of... toxins? What toxins are those precisely?

No, you have this attitude about all anecdotal reports of supplement effects that are not yet scientifically studied. But it is alright to report no effect at all, despite the fact that the studies show overall effectiveness? Makes no sense. Plus it is impossible to make an assessment based on you hiding your age and level of photo-damage. We cannot simply trust 'it did nothing for me'. Give more details then the objective sources can determine whether or not it did nothing for you or not, Mister scientific.

I reason he is about the same age as you, but from Finland, so he probably has little UV damage due to its Northern location (especially so since he works in IT?).

That said, if we are going to bitch about not providing enough personal details, then you are also guilty. What do you look like? What's your age? Details details. :)

I'm not the one claiming something with clinical evidence behind it didn't work. And what reason do you have to suspect he is in his mid 20s? If I was claiming something that is suppose to have overt results did nothing for me then yes, I would also be guilty and thus need to provide evidence more meaningful than 'it did nothing'. And the reason I brought it up is because he keeps saying anecdote should be scoffed at when it comes to skin care but saying 'it did nothing' is just that, anecdote. You don't know if it 'did nothing or not because you don't know details about him (degree of sun damage, age etc).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Dorho

• Topic Starter
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:20 AM

Does anyone know if the retinoid cream/gel manufacturing "Shalaks Pharmaceuticals" is a trustowrthy company? I'm interested in this because Alldaychemist sells super cheap Shalaks Pharmaceuticals retinoid products.

#34 happy lemon

• 275 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:30 AM

Does anyone know if the retinoid cream/gel manufacturing "Shalaks Pharmaceuticals" is a trustowrthy company? I'm interested in this because Alldaychemist sells super cheap Shalaks Pharmaceuticals retinoid products.

My first purchase of generic retinoids (Retin-A & Taz) were at ADC & found no quality issue.

Of course, I didn't buy branded one and couldn't do a comparison between branded & ADC ones. However, I noticed that my skin had become firmer and the skin tone was more even after 4 months of nightly use of ADC products.

#35 Dorho

• Topic Starter
  • 354 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:57 AM

My first purchase of generic retinoids (Retin-A & Taz) were at ADC & found no quality issue.

Of course, I didn't buy branded one and couldn't do a comparison between branded & ADC ones. However, I noticed that my skin had become firmer and the skin tone was more even after 4 months of nightly use of ADC products.

Thanks for the tip. I think I'm going to buy from a cheap source though. I'll just have to do some googling to find out which company has the best reputation.

#36 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:39 PM

I bought bought a green tea facial wash with menthol when I was in Japan. It has done wonders for the elasticity of my skin. I also began to use it on my chest and abdomen and I noticed an improvement there as well. Only problem, I can't find it anywhere outside Japan. Bummer.

#37 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:06 PM

Only thing cheap about this brand is the cap.

#38 Dorho

• Topic Starter
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:00 AM

So you think $3.53 for 20 gram 0.1% tretinoin gel is expensive? I would like to hear of a cheaper source, especially since I noticed that Alldaychemist doesn't ship products to my home country.

#39 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

So you think $3.53 for 20 gram 0.1% tretinoin gel is expensive? I would like to hear of a cheaper source, especially since I noticed that Alldaychemist doesn't ship products to my home country.

$3.53 for 20 grams is so cheap that I wouldn't trust it. I would rather pay more just to improve my odds that it wasn't useless or toxic. I don't think that a competent generic drug producer could manufacture and package this, while maintaining pharmaceutical quality, and retail it at that price.

#40 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

$3.53 for 20 grams is so cheap that I wouldn't trust it. I would rather pay more just to improve my odds that it wasn't useless or toxic. I don't think that a competent generic drug producer could manufacture and package this, while maintaining pharmaceutical quality, and retail it at that price.

Give alldaychemist a shot Niner. I've actually been paying less than that for a long time. $2 and change per tube. The quality has never let me down.

#41 Skinner

• 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:19 AM

Hello, hope it's okay to bump an old thread.

Found this link through a Google search =D

I've currently been losing about 2 pounds a week over the past year and I've been taking supplements in hopes my skin will shrink down, but my belly's skin is starting to look pretty loose. =(

Anyways-- I am currently taking Coq10 100mg a day, vitamin E 400 IU a day, MSM 1500 MG(took this mainly for joint pain, actually), a multi vitamin and obviously moisturizing several times a day as well as drinking plenty of water.

Now, finally for my question... This is the first time I am hearing of lutein and I am curious as to how many grams to take per day. I think 10-20MG per day is what is being recommended on other sites. Do you guys agree?

I was also considered taking 5G/day of creatine, before I knew it had anything to do with skin elasticity (Im weight training 2-3 times a week) However I decided not to because I read it increases DHT, which in turn can lead to hair loss... Any thoughts on that?

I'm also interested in finding a good cheap cream/lotion to help skin elasticity.

Thanks for the help, and feel free to add anything else that might benefit me, please! I'm thinking I'll start drinking a glass of green tea once a day, as well as adding lutein supplements.

BTW- I'm not super interesting in UV-reversing type things, because I'm mainly worried about my belly and it rarely sees any sun (and if it does I apply sun screen)

Thanks!
  • Ill informed x 1

#42 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

Wouldn't worry about creatine and hair loss. I haven't heard of anyone experiencing hair loss from creatine use. I've been taking creatine for a while now and have not noticed any increase in the very slow thinning of my hair.

#43 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:21 PM

Read this thread I started earlier this year. http://www.imminst.o...tin-metabolism/

Also, Selenium can improve elasticity and total collagen deposition

Influence of chronic intoxication with selenium on collagen and elastin content in tissues of rat.
Abstract
Rats were intoxicated with sodium selenite (0.3 mg/kg body wt.) for 10 weeks. An increase in total collagen content in skin and a decrease in the lungs, liver and kidneys were observed. Enhanced serum and urine levels of collagen metabolites were found. Elastin content was shown to be increased in the lung, liver, heart muscle and kidney of selenium-intoxicated rats.

Ofcourse, you probably don't need toxic levels of selenium to get a lesser effect but what did study implies is not at all bad.

#44 Skinner

• 2 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

Wouldn't worry about creatine and hair loss. I haven't heard of anyone experiencing hair loss from creatine use. I've been taking creatine for a while now and have not noticed any increase in the very slow thinning of my hair.

Thanks! I think I'll give it a try, I'd be taking only 5G/day anyways, which is considered the lowest dosage in the weight training community. Plus I don't eat much meat, so I don't think I'd be overwhelming my body with creatine.

Read this thread I started earlier this year. http://www.imminst.o...tin-metabolism/

Also, Selenium can improve elasticity and total collagen deposition

Okay cool, thanks! I'll look into Selenium.

#45 cherrysilver

• 60 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 04:34 AM

I bought bought a green tea facial wash with menthol when I was in Japan. It has done wonders for the elasticity of my skin. I also began to use it on my chest and abdomen and I noticed an improvement there as well. Only problem, I can't find it anywhere outside Japan. Bummer.

Did the green tea methol cleanser look anything like this formula?

http://africaimports...c.asp?ic=M-P140

#46 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:35 PM

Did the green tea methol cleanser look anything like this formula?

http://africaimports...c.asp?ic=M-P140

Nope. But for that price, I'd try it !

#47 nasp

• 12 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

I've read in this book "The Inflammation Syndrome: Your Nutrition Plan for Great Health" that Sam-e stimulates the body's own production of collagen. Has anyone else read anything about this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users