* - - - - 1 votes

Beautiful women can be bad for your health

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
73 replies to this topic

#1 Apchi

• 34 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

http://www.dailymail...s-hormones.html

A racing pulse and sweaty palms are well known as the signs of instant attraction.

Now research shows that for men just five minutes spent alone with a beautiful stranger causes so much stress it may be bad for the heart.

The effects are worst for men who might think they are not "in the same league" as the woman now sharing their space but still try to attract her interest, scientists claim.

For those men, their anxiety rate is said to be similar to jumping from an aircraft. Their cortisol levels rise even higher, bringing on the possibility of heart attacks and strokes.

It is the sort of extreme stress portrayed by Dudley Moore when encountering statuesque Bo Derek in the movie 10.

While he eventually got the girl, reality can be more painful, say experts at the University of Valencia in Spain.

'Exposure to physical or psychological stresses for a long period of time may cause chronically elevated cortisol levels.

'That can have adverse effects on health as it worsens various disorders, such as myopathy, adult-onset diabetes, hypertension and impotency,' said the research team.

They paid 84 male students £10 each to take part in an experiment – approved by the Faculty of Psychology's ethical committee – which measured their cortisol levels before and after they had been left alone with a stranger.

The men, who had been told to avoid alcohol and other stimulants for 24 hours, were led to a room and given a Sudoko puzzle to solve.

Each one presumed the other two people in the room were a researcher and another student guinea pig.

When the researcher left the room – on the pretence of getting another puzzle – the other two were left alone.

The researchers discovered that cortisol levels stayed the same when two men were together but rose when a man was left alone with what was perceived as an attractive woman.

They measured cortisol, which is secreted by the adrenal glands, by taking mouth swabs and saliva samples from the volunteers.

The team concluded: 'In this study we considered that for most men the presence of an attractive woman may induce the perception that there is an opportunity for courtship.

'While some men might avoid attractive women since they might think they are "out of their league'', the majority would respond with apprehension and a concurrent hormonal response.

'This study showed that male cortisol levels increased after exposure to a five-minute short social contact with a young attractive woman. It provides evidence that interpersonal interaction can influence the secretion of cortisol.'

There are times when cortisol does have benefits. Small increases give quick bursts of energy for survival and pain endurance. But in high quantities it can lead to stress-related changes – and danger.

#2 Luna

• Guest, F@H
  • 2,528 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:25 AM

I think the same can happen to woman next to some men and even women next to women (jealousy/competition)..

Probably also for men next to some men.

#3 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:09 PM

Who comes up with these stupid fucking studies? And you gotta love the headline too. Let's all avoid the things that may cause an increase in cortisol!

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 gregandbeaker

• 184 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

I've also heard that under-dressed woman can cause earthquakes.

#5 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

Probably done by a female scientist who's bitter of her husband's short-skirt chasing.

#6 Alex Libman

• 566 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 02:58 PM

Asexuality FTW!

Posted Image

#7 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:34 PM

didnt need a research study to tell me that lol

#8 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:38 PM

What if you are George Clooney or a total baller? I can't imagine those types get that flustered even if the woman is a 10.

#9 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

Asexuality FTW!

Posted Image

You can't have a society/economic system ignoring individual humans and their needs, and you can't lead a life ignoring the fact that you're also an animal that has it's own needs.

Not without causing significant problems.

#10 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

Asexuality FTW!

Posted Image

You can't have a society/economic system ignoring individual humans and their needs, and you can't lead a life ignoring the fact that you're also an animal that has it's own needs.

Not without causing significant problems.

KRANGGGGGGGGGG

#11 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:29 PM

Asexuality FTW!

Posted Image

If you want to live a life that misses a great part of its pleasures and joys, go ahead. But it's against human nature and there's nothing rational about it.

#12 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:31 PM

Asexuality FTW!

Posted Image

I'd rather be gay or TheFountain.

#13 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:31 PM

I suspect that if the men were PUAs it would probably just raise their endorphins. However the girls would probably have increased cortisol levels - basically just a turning of the tables from the scenario where the men felt "out of their league."

#14 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 06:40 PM

KRANGGGGGGGGGG

I was beginning to wonder if I was the only TMNT fan on here.

#15 Hedrock

• 157 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:45 PM

I think the same can happen to woman next to some men and even women next to women (jealousy/competition)..

Probably also for men next to some men.

Please stop harming my health!

Burka could help.

#16 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

Asexuality FTW!

Posted Image

If you want to live a life that misses a great part of its pleasures and joys, go ahead. But it's against human nature and there's nothing rational about it.

But that's it - not everybody finds sex equally joyfull, and there isn't anything rational in looking for it too. If one doesn't give a damn about pussy and it works for him, then what's human nature got to do with it ?

#17 ken_akiba

• 199 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

Beautiful woman on my cold blue screen is fine, otherwise is a major bleeding risk for my wallet :o

#18 Alex Libman

• 566 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

You can't have a society/economic system ignoring individual humans and their needs,

I agree that maintaining a positive or at least a stable fertility rate is important for any "society/economic system", and my genetic material is available to any lady that wants it, shipped (almost) anywhere in the world at my expense, just as long as the lady signs a contract exempting me from any government-enforced child support duties. (A contractually enforced support plan can be negotiated beforehand.)

and you can't lead a life ignoring the fact that you're also an animal that has it's own needs.

My brain obviously does know the difference between a real vagina and an artificial one, but it doesn't seem to mind all that much, while it definitely appreciates the benefits of not having to waste time / money on dealing with another person.

#19 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

My brain obviously does know the difference between a real vagina and an artificial one, but it doesn't seem to mind all that much, while it definitely appreciates the benefits of not having to waste time / money on dealing with another person.

I'm not talking about your conscious, logical desires. I'm talking about a subconscious drive to procreate, which you may not have.

#20 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:54 PM

I suspect that if the men were PUAs it would probably just raise their endorphins. However the girls would probably have increased cortisol levels - basically just a turning of the tables from the scenario where the men felt "out of their league."

I don't think so, Mystery has said repeatedly that the best PUA's still feel approach anxiety every single time. They have just learned to ignore it. He definitely emphasizes that it isn't something you should expect will ever go away.

#21 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:18 AM

It's funny this thread came up now. Today I saw the most beautiful woman working in a convenience store, she took my breath away for a few seconds. It's been years since I've felt this way. Seemed irrational but exciting at the same time. I'll be going there again soon, I'd like to look at her again.

#22 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:52 AM

Today I saw the most beautiful woman working in a convenience store

Pics?

#23 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

This thread is useless without PICS.

#24 Apchi

• Topic Starter
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:17 PM

I concur

Declaring Pandora box as officially open

This is the hottest skirt in my part of the woods

http://toughpigs.com...rate-763350.jpg

#25 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:33 PM

I concur

Declaring Pandora box as officially open

This is the hottest skirt in my part of the woods

http://toughpigs.com...rate-763350.jpg

I am soo out of her league ;)

#26 Kolos

• 209 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:21 PM

Beautiful woman on my cold blue screen is fine, otherwise is a major bleeding risk for my wallet :o

Thats right. Woman are good for you as long as their name ends with .jpg

#27 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:30 PM

Asexuality FTW!

Posted Image

I guarantee I get more women than you do so you can take your back-handed insult and stick it up your softball sized anus.
  • dislike x 1

#28 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

Asexuality FTW!

Posted Image

I guarantee I get more women than you do so you can take your back-handed insult and stick it up your softball sized anus.

Any photos, videos or child support papers to back this claim ?

Edited by chris w, 08 May 2010 - 04:05 PM.

• Good Point x 1

#29 Forever21

• 1,918 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

Asexuality FTW!

Posted Image

LOL, that was good. I liked the anus joke. ;)

#30 nushu

• 247 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:17 PM

Today I saw the most beautiful woman working in a convenience store

Pics?

I want to take a pic of her, but I'm not sure how to go about it without coming off as a creep. I'm open to ideas- if I get a pic of her I'll post it here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users