40% CR in mice mimics therapeutic fasting in humans

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:27 AM

An Interview with Dr. Thomas N. Seyfried

It must be recognized that caloric restriction in mice is not the same as caloric restriction in humans. Basal metabolic rate is about 7-8 times greater in mice than in humans. A 24-hour fast in mice is comparable to a 6-7-day fast in humans. We recently published a paper showing that a 40 % CR in mice mimics a full therapeutic fast in humans. Thus, the health benefits attributed to CR in mice can be realized in humans who engage in water only therapeutic fasting for at least three to four days.

Caloric restriction in C57BL/6J mice mimics therapeutic fasting in humans.
Mahoney LB, Denny CA, Seyfried TN
Lipids Health Dis 2006, 5:13.

The physiological relationship between CR in mice and humans is unclear. Although rodents and other animals can be maintained on calorie-restricted diets for prolonged periods, this draconian dietary practice is impractical in humans. Since the basal metabolic rate of mice is about seven times that of humans, it is unlikely that similar degrees of CR will have similar physiological effects in man and mouse. Indeed, a review of the literature generally shows that the plasma biomarker changes we observed in B6 mice, which received approximately 60% of the food given to the UR mice on a daily basis, are generally similar to those observed previously in humans during very low calorie diets or during "water only" therapeutic fasting. While prolonged therapeutic fasting (for one to three weeks) can be healthy for some humans, severe food deprivation beyond a few days is unhealthy in rodents due to increased oxidative stress. Our findings indicate that moderate CR in B6 mice mimics very low calorie diets or therapeutic fasting in humans. Hence, the numerous health benefits documented in mice following CR may be experienced in humans on very low calorie diets or during periodic therapeutic fasting.

Audio interview with Dr. Thomas N. Seyfried
Among other things he says there that one needs to fast at least 7-10 days a year (water only) in order to reap the benefits seen in 40% CR in rodents.

Discuss :)

Edit: Fixed link per request

Edited by niner, 08 April 2011 - 09:30 PM.

#2 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

What's a matter boys, cat got your tongue? 3 weeks gone by and no replies. I'm getting the impression you just want this thread to please go away, so that it does not remind you that there is no way you'll get the same LE benefits as seen in mice by doing the same CR.

This is the only clear reference I found that states plainly how to extrapolate fasting from rodents to humans. Rather than ignore it, this thread should be pinned up top together with CR resources. A year ago, when I wanted to know how to extrapolate rodent data to humans, I could not get a straight answer from the regulars here.

I'm getting set in my impression that you don't want anything to spoil your sci-fi fantasy. Ah?

#3 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

This is interesting. As I'm gonna start fasting now and then (at least for these neurological reasons) one thing is unclear for me in the above text - is it enough one day at a time fast (and the overall number is what counts after a year or so, depending on what interval we'll chose) or should I divide these in 2days intervals (like 2days straight one month, then 2days straight another month, when I feel like it and so through the year..) or maybe even 7-10days straight?

edit: ok it seems it's 10days in a row..

Edited by VidX, 07 August 2010 - 10:22 PM.

#4 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:52 AM

Yes, it is that many days in a row. This is because it takes time to achieve that level of ketosis fasting on water only and starting from "glucosis" (that's my short name for the normal metabolism based on glucose as the main fuel). However, there are "shortcuts" --such as dry fast or dehydration or a glycogen-depleting workout, etc-- that could bring you there faster. The best one is of course experience of fasting itself. The more often you do it, the better you get at it and easier it becomes. This is not the thread to discuss it though.

#5 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

When he was talking about adding some fats during such a fast, maybe it's my english, but should these "minimal calories (300-400)" be made from these added fats (like some olive oil) and nothing more, to speed up/increase the ketones in blood?

#6 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 August 2010 - 06:19 AM

I'm not sure what you mean. If you want to increase ketone production, instead of olive oil, it's better to use MCT oil. Medium Chain Triglycerides will give you more ketones.

Here is the transcript of parts of Dr. Seyfried interview. The numbers indicate the time segment.

Dr. Thomas Seufried interview on Livin' la Vida Low-Carb with Jimmy Moore

11:11
So what was the purpose of the CR, how is that better than allowing them unlimited amounts of this ketogenic diet?

11:20
Well, unlimited amounts of KD is extremely unhealthy. And there is no doubt about this. If someone were to sit down and eat a plate of lard or Ketocal or any of these KDs, they would suffer significant metabolic problems. The diets are overbalanced in fat. Now, the diets are extremely healthy if given in restricted caloric amounts. We did studies in both epilepsy and in brain cancer to show that unrestricted amounts of any type of KD, including Ketocal does absolutely nothing to the growth of brain cancer or prevention of epilepsy. It was only when these diets were restricted in caloric content did you find the beneficial effects. And the issue, of course, is that you can restrict any kind of a diet, a hi-carb diet or hi-protein diet. If the diet is restricted, blood glucose levels go down and ketones go up naturally. The advantages of the ketogenic diets – restricted KD of course – is that the glucose goes down while the ketones are higher, when you take in the fats. So the KDs are more effective at elevating ketones. And these ketones, when given in restricted amounts, are extremely healthy to the metabolism of the cells.

12:52
So by restricting the calories and feeding them a high fat KD you're basically starving the tumors?

12:59
Yes, absolutely. You starve the tumors and the normal cells can transition over to ketones, because the metabolism of ketones for the generation of ATP is dependent upon oxidative phosphorylation, which is the functionality of the mitochondrion. So, normal cells generate most of their energy through oxidative phosphorylation, or what we call respiration, whereas the tumor cells have defective mitochondria. They are incapable generating energy using the ketones, so they are metabolically restricted.

13:37
In your studies you refer to the specific diet that you're using with these mice as dietary caloric restriction DR and the low carbohydrate high fat ketogenic diet to ostensibly reduce the brain tumor growth. Is there any kind of translation of what number of calories that would be to be restrictive enough to help humans?

14:03 That's a good point. I mean, this is an area of great debate and confusion, because we hear a lot about CR in humans and CR in mice and monkeys and you go around and you hear about CR. And then there are these groups of the CR society and all this kind of stuff. Well, we did a study in our lab to determine precisely what does CR in the mice represent to the human, or how does CR in the human reflect the mouse.

We have to be cautious in dealing with the different species. The basal metabolic rate of the mouse, the rate at which it uses its energy, is 7 times greater than that of the human. This accounts for why they require 20 to 25% of their body weight a day consumed in food. The basal metabolic rate of the two species is greatly different. So we have to appreciate that the CR effects will be very different in the mouse and the human.

We have evolutionarily conserved biomarkers that indicate metabolic stress, and that’s basically circulating levels of glucose and circulating levels of ketones. So, to achieve the same ratio distribution in the mouse and the man under restrictive food intake we use these biomarkers, and it turns out that a 40% restriction of calories in the mouse is comparable to a full therapeutic fast in the human. In other words, humans evolved to actually handle CR much, much better than mice. We as a species can go long periods of time with only water and no food, and our bodies are well adapted to the metabolism of FAs and ketones. The mouse, on the other hand, can only do it for short period of time.

So what we found when we did our comparative analysis of CR in the mouse and CR in the human, looking at glucose and ketones as biomarkers, as well as circulating of FFAs and some other triglycerides, we found that the human would need to do a full therapeutic fast, which is a water only fast for 7 to 10 days, and that equals what we're giving these mice as a 40% CR. So you always have to keep in mind the species differences when you talk about CR.

So if humans wanted to get the health benefits that we see in the mice, that are always reported in rats and mice and things like these, humans have to do a full therapeutic fast or very close to that, say, a very low calorie diet, 400 to 600 calories per day. And of course, most people raise their eyebrows and say, I can't do that. And it's true, a lot of people either can't or will not do that, but if they ask, if they want to achieve the same health benefits, that's basically what they must do.

17:13
You're referring to the people who are dealing with brain cancers or neurological diseases. You're not talking about just the average everyday person on the streets. You're not saying that.

17:27
Well, I mean the person on the street who would like to get himself very healthy and fit metabolically, that's what they would do. This is a tremendous health benefit to the physiology of the system. When you transition from glucose to ketones, the mitochondria get very, very healthy, oxygen free radicals go down. Now if you have a brain tumor and you try that, you put tremendous metabolic stress on the brain tumor cells and they up and die, they just can't handle that level of physiological stress. All of the gene mutations that the tumor cells have are restricting those cells from making the metabolic adaptation to survive. So those cells get eliminated very quickly.

18:11
OK, Dr. Seyfried, which creates more ketone bodies, is it the CR or is it the high percentage of fat in the diet?

18:19
Well, it's a combination of both. If you fast, ketones go up naturally, because the fats in your body are mobilized to the liver and broken down to ketones. So circulating levels of FFAs and ketones go up naturally in anyone who would undergo a therapeutic fast. But if the fast is supplemented with a high fat diet, like a restricted ketogenic diet, the levels of circulating ketones go even higher. But when I say higher, this is still within the normal physiological realm. It is not ketoacidosis, which is extremely high levels of ketones that are produced in cases of diabetes.

19:12
Where is that fine line between having enough ketones and too many to reach the ketoacidosis state?

19:15
Well, the ketoacidosis state usually happens when there is severe energy imbalance due to say, diabetes. In the case of diabetes you have very high circulating glucose levels, because insulin is missing, and then the body perceives itself as starving. And then the body starts cranking out large amount of ketones. So you have this very severe situation where ketones go very high in the presence of glucose, and this is a combination that generally would never happen in a normal condition. Also, the body has an internal regulatory system where you will excrete the ketones in the urine, so anywhere from 5 to 7 mMol of ketones is about the maximum you're gonna get in a normal healthy person that would be fasting and taking the ketogenic diet or taking any kind of food that would generate the ketones. So the body would have like a regulator, a rheostat to maintain a normal physiological level that would be needed for energy metabolism. Anything excess would be excreted in urine.

20:30
Well, lets turn back to cancer, because this is a fascinating research you're doing, Dr. Seyfried. If someone is dealing with cancer...

22:16
I know your specific expertise is with the brain cancers, but do you see this kind of ketogenic approach being used for other cancers?

22:23
You have to understand the energetic situation and the placement in the body of the tumor cells. The tumor cells in the brain are somewhat protected or restricted from the rest of the body by the BBB, so the cells behind the BBB are not exposed to the same metabolites as say cancer cells in other parts of the body, like the lung or the liver, colon, breast or these other areas. So, if the tumor cells are glycolytic, where they use a large amount of glucose to survive, they would be susceptible to killing by CR ketogenic diets. However, some of these cells can survive using glutamine, which is an alternative fuel, and restricted ketogenic diets may not be as effective in targeting those kinds of cancer cells that would be using glutamine as an alternative energy. The brain has very low levels of glutamine, so we are not too concerned about that, but outside of brain, glutamine now becomes another issue. And we think that cells that would be using considerable amounts of glutamine may not be as effectively killed as cells that are purely glycolytic. So the answer is, I think some cancers would probably respond quite well, whereas others may not respond as dramatically as some of the brain tumors respond.

24:15
And that's because the brain functions well on ketone bodies and whereas some other areas of the body, where cancers could be, maybe not so much?

24:22
Well, no. Normal cells in the body will burn ketones. The cancer cells will not be able to burn ketones in any part of the body, because their mitochondria are defective. That's a given. But they also have access to an alternative fuel besides glucose, so they could survive. Even though they are not burning ketones, they could survive on glutamine, which is converted to glutamate, which then goes into the TCA cycle, and one can generate energy through that in some cancers. You'd have to probably look at the cells to see whether or not they might be candidates. But you know, the one thing about the ketogenic diet – restricted, I always want to emphasize that – CR ketgenic diet is not a harmful diet. This does not hurt you like, say, radiation or chemotherapy would hurt you, that actually damages your cells and tissues. These diets don't do that. So, this is the non-toxic approach to the management of cancer.

25:33
So, Dr. Seyfried, if people who are listening right now want to protect themselves against brain cancer and even be healthy, is it better for them to go ahead and eat this ketogenic style type of diet, even if it is a little higher in calories than what you're recommending for the people who actually going through brain cancer or is it something else?

25:55
Well, when you say protect, that enters now into the concept of cancer prevention as opposed to cancer management. It's very clear in my mind what prevents cancer. And any damage to the mitochondria will provoke cancer. The question is, how do you prevent damage to the mitochondria. Yes, you can do low calorie diets, that would lower glucose and elevate ketones. This is the most powerful anti-cancer therapy that I know of. The problem is most people won't do this. Most people don't do any of this kind of stuff... yeah, there are some people out there, but most people don't do this. The issue is, once they have cancer, what can they do. This comes now into the management phase of the cancer. How do I kill the tumor that I have without also killing half of my body and creating all kinds of other problems. So, when you look at these diet therapies for cancer, you have to say, do I want to prevent cancer. If you want to prevent cancer, then you do a therapeutic fast once a year. Then the probability of getting cancer would be extremely low relative to those people who don't do that, simply because you're gonna purge the body of any particular cell that's going to be glycolytic and an insipient cancer cell. So you can get rid of these doing it. But very few people will do this. They are looking for a quick fix, some sort of an antioxidant, or something like this. Those will have a very minimal effect compared to a therapeutic fast. This is what we know.

27:46
Let's define what that therapeutic fast would be. Is that the 7 to 10 days?

27:49
Yes, 7 to 10 days on distilled water only. If you want to prevent yourself from getting cancer, you would probably engage in that once a year. Now who can do this? Only those people who are extremely well disciplined are capable of doing something like this.

28:12
But it's worth it if you can ward off brain cancer.

28:13
You ward off any cancer, not just brain cancer. But how many people that we know in our society today, or in any society for that matter, will do anything like this? Although the human body evolved to do these kinds of things. So, I mean, I always look at, humans evolved to starve. Our history in the past was seeking out any place you could get food. So we're supremely designed to engage in this kind of activity. But most people won't do this, so they get cancer or whatever other kind of disease and then they seek medical therapies that many times are as bad as the disease itself.

Edited by xev, 09 August 2010 - 06:52 AM.

#7 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

I don't understand how they can compare chronic CR with a 7-10 day fast. Are they saying one such fast once a year in humans is the same for lifespan extension as 40% CR in mice? Please.

Edited by JLL, 09 August 2010 - 03:29 PM.

#8 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:54 PM

Thank you for transcript and yes - it's still a little confusing, regarding what JLL said. Sounds too good to be true.
Though if that's such an effective cancer prevention, then to hell the possible discomfort for 10 days, I'm gonna do it, just for the sake of experienceing what it feels like not to eat for longer then 2 days (when I think now - that hasn't happened in my life yet. Makes you think...).

Edited by VidX, 09 August 2010 - 05:11 PM.

#9 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

I don't understand how they can compare chronic CR with a 7-10 day fast. Are they saying one such fast once a year in humans is the same for lifespan extension as 40% CR in mice? Please.

No they are not saying that. Not for lifespan extension, but for "health benefits" seen in CR mice. No-one can claim human lifespan extension.

Besides, his emphasis is on cancer prevention. For that, he says, one needs to fast on water only 7-10 days once a year. In their paper they did not specify how long a human should fast to match lifetime 40% CR in mice. They only stated that the man achieves the same ratio distribution of relevant biomarkers while fasting on water only.

Seyfried says that there are evolutionarily conserved biomarkers that indicate the level of metabolic stress shared by both the mouse and the man, and that to achieve the same ratio distribution takes different time and conditions for the two species, due to our inherent differences. What they did was examine such fundamental metabolic parameters as levels of ketones, glucose, FFAs and some other triglycerides in 40% CR'd mice and then found out how a human can reach the same parameters. And it turned out that a human will reach them in 7 to 10 days fasting on water only. In other words, that's the minimum time it takes for an average human to reach the level of ketosis seen in 40% CR'd mice.

What people here don't seem to understand is the differences in biochemistry seen during a therapeutic fast, when the levels of ketones are high, glucose is minimal and plasma pH is down. These conditions promote all the known beneficial processes of starvation (and that's my main reason for doubting that a pill could trick the body into believing that it is starving, while it is not: even if you manage to turn on some key genes, the biochemical events they trigger require proper chemical milieu to work right in concert).

From my knowledge of fasting, I'll tell you that 7 to 10 days is what it takes for an average human to get past the "first crise", as Russians call it (from Fr. crisis). It corresponds to reaching a significant level of ketosis, with corresponding drop in plasma pH, when ketones can penetrate into the brain en masse and start feeding it in earnest. Once this occurs, gluconeogenesis goes down, the daily weight loss drops to 100-200g, and the person starts feeling pretty well, especially if he is healthy to begin with and not fasting for some health reasons.

Why does it take so long to get there? Well, from what I understand --pls correct me if I'm wrong-- the main "problem" is in adapting to a lower plasma pH that accompanies the rise in FFAs and ketoacids. That's what makes fasting difficult for the beginners. Besides, the process does not start in earnest until after the liver glycogen is depleted, which takes about 2 days (or even 2.5 days for frequent fasters like myself). So, if you're metabolically fit, the shortest you can arrive there is 5 days (2 to loose glycogen + 3 for gradual lowering of plasma pH through rising levels of ketones) fasting on water only. And then, as I already mentioned, there are ways to expedite the process, but it is counterproductive to try them for the beginners.

Edited by xev, 09 August 2010 - 09:07 PM.

#10 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

Why does it take so long to get there? Well, from what I understand --pls correct me if I'm wrong-- the main "problem" is in adapting to a lower plasma pH that accompanies the rise in FFAs and ketoacids. That's what makes fasting difficult for the beginners. Besides, the process does not start in earnest until after the liver glycogen is depleted, which takes about 2 days (or even 2.5 days for frequent fasters like myself). So, if you're metabolically fit, the shortest you can arrive there is 5 days (2 to loose glycogen + 3 for gradual lowering of plasma pH through rising levels of ketones) fasting on water only. And then, as I already mentioned, there are ways to expedite the process, but it is counterproductive to try them for the beginners.

I wonder how to it changes things, if liver glycogen stores are low, and you're already adapted to ketones, on a low carb diet.

#11 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

Anyway, talking about extrapolation, how about these CR chimps? Seems the results were great and their metabolism should be a lot closer to humans.?

#12 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 August 2010 - 05:07 PM

I wonder how to it changes things, if liver glycogen stores are low, and you're already adapted to ketones, on a low carb diet.

I imagine, being already in ketosis shortens the process significantly. Depleting glycogen via a vigorous workout, dehydration, as well as some supplements (even judicial use of alcohol) can expedite the transition from glucose to ketones. But the question of adaptation to the lowered plasma pH remains. That's what causes the distress, IMO.

But all I know now in this regard is what I learned long ago as a kid with a fish tank. And that is, some fish can adapt to a relatively wide range of pH, but the changes, even going from improper to the optimal value, must be done in small steps, else their buffering capacity gets overwhelmed and they die. I think something similar happens when we adapt to ketosis, which invariably goes hand in hand with the drop in plasma pH. With fish, the strategy is to make changes gradually and make sure that there is enough carbonate ions in water. Something similar goes for humans, I imagine.

I believe having sufficient buffering capacity is the key to a quick transition to deep ketosis. I don't know much about this though.. Any ideas?

#13 Recortes

• 131 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

Very interesting stuff.
I do a 24h fasting every week (dinner Sunday to dinner Monday). The interview to Do. Seyfried is motivating my to do 48h fastings from time to time.

There is something I don't undestand from the interview. In a part he says humans to get health beneftis of mice would need therapeutic fasting of 400/600 calories per day, in another part he talks of 7/10 days of only water....

From a practical poing of view there is a huge difference. Things are more bearable if one can take 20/40gr. of fat per day (coconut oil, olive oil, etc.) than if one takes only water. BTW the last option looks even dangerous.

What's your take?.

#14 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

There is something I don't undestand from the interview. In a part he says humans to get health beneftis of mice would need therapeutic fasting of 400/600 calories per day, in another part he talks of 7/10 days of only water....

From a practical poing of view there is a huge difference. Things are more bearable if one can take 20/40gr. of fat per day (coconut oil, olive oil, etc.) than if one takes only water. BTW the last option looks even dangerous.

What's your take?.

You would need to fast for 7 to 10 consecutive days to get the equivalent of 1 day of 40% CR in mice. 24 hour fasting has no proven benefit supported by this study.

You would have to live on 400 to 600 calories per day permanently (throughout the year - each and every year) to emulate the brain cancer prevention effects of mice on 40% CR - this is clearly not sustainable in humans as you would continue to lose weight and die.

You could however go on a water fast for 7 to 10 days once per year and get the same brain cancer prevention benefit seen in the mice, according to the author. This means that the 40% CR requirement FOR BRAIN CANCER PREVENTION can be avoided in humans by doing the fast.

Hope this clarifies.

Edited by Michael, 23 September 2010 - 05:42 PM.
Trim quotes

#15 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:22 AM

xev,
OT, but are you the xev from sciforums?

#16 Recortes

• 131 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 10:05 AM

resvhead,

do you know any good information resource on 7/10 days fasting?. I'm tempted, but I'm a little concerned that might be too much.

Edited by Recortes, 17 August 2010 - 10:06 AM.

#17 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

You would have to live on 400 to 600 calories per day permanently (throughout the year - each and every year) to emulate the brain cancer prevention effects of mice on 40% CR - this is clearly not sustainable in humans as you would continue to lose weight and die.

Actually, there is a Russian neurosurgeon Galina Shatalova (born 1916) who developed this kind of diet and lives on it permanently and cures her patients with it. I'm not very familiar with it though, as I read briefly about it. It somewhat reminded me of a macrobiotic diet, mainly because it is a vegetarian diet based on grains.

Here is a wiki stub article about her: http://en.wikipedia....alina_Shatalova It says there that "To prove her theories she and her patients undertook a 311 mile (500 km) hike through the desert in 1990." In fact she undertook several (at least 3) of such "hikes" through the desert, starting in 1970s, which were well documented, because she and the group of her chronic ex-patients were trekking along 2-3 teams of endurance athletes from Russia and some Soviet Block countries. As I remember reading about 2 of the early treks in the 1970s, the control endurance team was consuming 3000-5000kcal, while she and her group did their usual 300-600kcal, and also a very limited amount of water. In the end, her group did as well as the endurance trekkers.

So, according to her --and she is the living proof of her system and diet-- one can not only live on this amount of calories, she calls it human "species diet".

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 05:54 PM

If she eats that little, how does she gain that fat on her midsection?

#19 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:07 PM

Googling her name brings only pages that make Mercola look like a respectable doctor. She holds her breath for 15-60 minutes and walks across deserts without drinking water? I'm calling major BS on her old ass.
  • like x 1

#20 VidX

• 865 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 06:12 PM

Does she levitate too?

#21 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 01:16 AM

Actually, there is a Russian neurosurgeon Galina Shatalova (born 1916) who developed this kind of diet and lives on it permanently and cures her patients with it. I'm not very familiar with it though, as I read briefly about it. It somewhat reminded me of a macrobiotic diet, mainly because it is a vegetarian diet based on grains.

Here is a wiki stub article about her: http://en.wikipedia....alina_Shatalova

And then there is that Indian guy who doesn't eat or drink for months at a time....meanwhile in the real world!!!!!!

I personally think it is irresponsible to post this sort of stuff as some naive person may actually try going on a permanent 400 to 600 calorie diet and kill themselves. But HEY!!

I stand by what I said, I have personally been on an 800 to 1000 calorie diet for nearly 3 months now and have consistently lost weight. I see no reason for believing that this will change as my body fat level diminish to 0% and I start breaking down muscle instead - except of course, I shall increase my calories well before then.

Edited by Michael, 23 September 2010 - 05:40 PM.
Trim quotes

#22 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:40 AM

Googling her name brings only pages that make Mercola look like a respectable doctor. She holds her breath for 15-60 minutes and walks across deserts without drinking water? I'm calling major BS on her old ass.

Lol

#23 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2010 - 05:47 PM

Your skepticism is understandable but does not change the fact that she and her patients as well as people who follow her advice do live on this amount of calories. Her treks through the desert were monitored and well documented. As far as holding breath for that long, this is the first time I hear about it. Why bring it in and then make it the reason to dismiss the whole thing?

Shatalova's system includes not just a diet but also meditation and a series of physical exercises, some of which is old plain western gymnastics and some reminded me of yoga and qigong. By dismissing her achievement as a hoax you rob yourselves.

#24 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:02 PM

well, at least from that pic of her she doesnt look like she is on a calorie restricted diet. Most CRON people I"ve seen look what our society considers unhealthy-thin.

#25 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:18 AM

Her treks through the desert were monitored and well documented.

Much like the Indian chap was 'well' monitored!?! Anyway, what about at all other times. I specifically stated that this was an ongoing requirement. Anyone can live on low calories for a restricted period, it is the long term that matters though.

As far as holding breath for that long, this is the first time I hear about it. Why bring it in and then make it the reason to dismiss the whole thing?

Goes to credibility...

#26 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:34 AM

Because of this thread today I spent some time reading about Shatalova in Russian. Here are some corrections of my earlier post:

First, her vegetarian diet is not based on grains, as I assumed when I first leafed through her book long while ago. Second, her credentials: she is a neurosurgeon by training and in the 1960s worked at Institute of Space Exploration at the National Academy of Sciences in charge of selection and training of Russian cosmonauts. Third, her first trek through the desert was in the 1980, not 1970s as I posted from memory earlier(which means that she was in her 60s when she led her team of ex-incurables head to head with endurance athletes). Finally, you do not appreciate the situation in the Soviet Union: there is no way she could benefit anyhow, financially or otherwise, from her system at the time. In fact, she suffered a lot of opposition to her ideas from the establishment, which negatively affected her carrier.

You are skeptical of her treks through the desert, but you have to understand that they lasted 2-3 weeks, all going through the wilderness, and at night her group broke camp right next to the endurance athletes', among whom they walked during the day. All the food and water consumed by the participants had to be carried in and there was no way that in such conditions they could conceal secret eating or drinking. The most difficult part in such a hoax would be to make about a dozen of her team lie about it. Those were respectable people and they did not participate in the trek for some exterior reasons other than to prove it first of all to themselves, especially during the first such trek when the objective was just to see if this was possible at all.

I could not find where you read that she can hold breath for 60 min. I only saw a home-made page of a guy, her fan, where it said that she can hold breath for 15 mins without giving a ref. where he got it. None of her official sites or any reputable Russians site mentions anything of the sort. Only that her system includes breathing exercises.

As far as holding breath for that long, this is the first time I hear about it. Why bring it in and then make it the reason to dismiss the whole thing?

Goes to credibility...

Whose credibility? First you bring in this bit from someone's home-made page and then make it the reason to discredit her credibility? Please.

Regarding the width of her midsection -- ? maybe this is due to her age. After all, the picture was probably taken recently, after she turned 90 or about. Old people, even very skinny ones have a belly, so I attribute it to her advanced age.

Edited by xev, 19 August 2010 - 01:16 AM.

#27 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:33 AM

Ha! I found where this "holding her breath from 15 to 60 min" comes from. This is the misunderstanding that English-speaking guy got from the search engine translation of the Russian text that said that the breathing exercise that consists of holding the breath after exhale for some seconds, should last --the exercise itself, not actual holding of one breath-- from 15 to 60 mins daily.

Edited by xev, 19 August 2010 - 02:00 AM.

• Unfriendly x 1

#28 Guest

• 320 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:55 AM

Are you serious with your claims that people are designed to sustain prolonged time on just a few 100s of kcal? Do you throw every bit of common sense and virtually every clinical control study over board due to a russian crackpot? Do you ever heard of the Minnesota Starvation Experiment? How do you even over a prolonged period (years) get your required amounts of nutritions from the tiny amount of 300 kcal? I track my food with CRON-O-Meter and can't figure any combination, even with low calorie and very nutritious food, that doesn't lead to severe malnutrition in numerous vitamins/minerals at a few 100 kcal.

Also even if the women should be credible (sight) it would be just one opinion. Unless she published it in a peer-reviewed journal or scientist can reproduce her "findings" (contradicting every study done so far) you are well advised to be sceptic about that girl.

And her picture clearly reveals more body fat at her legs than many CRON-people have, while the CRON people get at least twice her proposed amount of 300-600 kcal/day.

She may have meant 1300-1600 kcal.

#29 xEva

• Topic Starter
  • 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:09 AM

Are you serious with your claims that people are designed to sustain prolonged time on just a few 100s of kcal?

It's not my claim, it's Shatalova's claim. I'm only the messenger :)

Do you throw every bit of common sense and virtually every clinical control study over board due to a russian crackpot?

Why be so fast calling someone a crackpot and, by extension, a lot of smart people who think otherwise idiots?

Do you ever heard of the Minnesota Starvation Experiment? How do you even over a prolonged period (years) get your required amounts of nutritions from the tiny amount of 300 kcal? I track my food with CRON-O-Meter and can't figure any combination, even with low calorie and very nutritious food, that doesn't lead to severe malnutrition in numerous vitamins/minerals at a few 100 kcal.

No, I have not heard of the Minnesota Starvation Experiment, but will read on it now. I'm very interested in various aspects of starvation.

Most Shatalova sites I saw today quote 400-600kcal/day as her usual diet and "under 700kcal" during the treks through the desert. There is no error in this.

Regarding your own experience, I have to ask what mind-body technique you employ, if any? There are mind-body resources pinned at the top of CR page. I admit that I have not looked through them myself, but that is because I consider myself well versed in such systems. And I know that if you want to achieve something above average Joe, you gotta use at least some of them, or be "a natural" in this regard.

Shatalova's system starts with mind-body exercises, breathing, meditation and a special mindset. I have not looked through them carefully, but you know what, now I will. After the reading I did today I am considering trying her system myself and, if I do it, I will post an update several months from now.

Glancing through some posts on her forum, I got the impression that the diet part does not work by itself, without the rest of the system (especially when people trying it are not motivated to succeed by a death-sentence diagnosis -- the breaking in part seems difficult).

Also even if the women should be credible (sight) it would be just one opinion. Unless she published it in a peer-reviewed journal or scientist can reproduce her "findings" (contradicting every study done so far) you are well advised to be sceptic about that girl.

The early treks through the desert were published as studies in Russian journal back in the 1980s. I have not access to any of them, because they do not have an equivalent to pubmed in Russian. I have only read about those studies from sources I consider trustworthy.

Regarding reproducibility of her findings, no, I have not read anything of the sort, and this is the issue with all the studies that rely, at least in part, on mind-body techniques. You can't fake it and you can't double-blind it. And those who never learned such techniques do not understand them and tend to dismiss them as unimportant and frivolous.

And her picture clearly reveals more body fat at her legs than many CRON-people have, while the CRON people get at least twice her proposed amount of 300-600 kcal/day.

No comment. I only know that you're ill-advised comparing those who employ mind-body techniques with those who don't.

She may have meant 1300-1600 kcal.

No, there are different quotes that I saw while Яндекс'ing today, but the ranges gravitate toward 400-600kcal. There is no error about this.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#30 Guest

• 320 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:29 AM

I guess I missed your arguments at the point where we entered the realms of magic. I am sure with the right "mind-body" :wacko: techniques you easily can live without a number of vital vitamins and minerals for decades, not even needing energy/kcal to maintain your body, let alone extensive exercise. Also it is unfortune, that those stuff appears to be uninvestigable by any scientifical methods. How unfortune. How really, really, unfortune.

"Mind-body" techniques lead to self-reported, not-adhering to scientifical standards, results that even contradict the most basic laws of physics, most prominently energy conservation in closed systems - oh wait, let me guess: mind-body-people get their energy requirements out of thin air, or they alter their DNA so they can produce encymes to digest cellulose and rocks. Am I going to become an esoteric Rasputin now, per definition relying on (scientifically) unproven stuff or do I stay with the most basic findings of physics, chemistry and biology? Try guessing.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users