Photo
- - - - -

Hyperventilation Benefits

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tron

• 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

An idea I've had is that perhaps consciously hyperventilating (without exercising) may have some health benefits. Maybe even give you the benefits of exercise without the wear and tear. I have this suspicion that usage of any organ, especially overuse, causes scar tissue, and if you buy into the "Accumulation of scars" Theory of Aging, normal exercise maybe enough to accumulate scars. This seems consistent with the Olm salamander I just read about from longevitymeme, as these little guys appear to live as long as we do, yet they are so small, have a moderate metabolism, and generally stay still except to eat. It seems that in nature, unneccessary movement may be linked to lower lifespans... mouse vs. salamander...
Long-lived Salamanders Offer Clues to Aging
hmmmm.... maybe if I live outside naked in a pond, and only move when I need to eat, I will live proportionally longer...:)

Having a nice big yawn of air every once in while is refreshing and stimulating, but what if one was to have a constant slight hyperventilating breath pattern. The body may become acclimated to it, raise all metabolism activities (including repair), to where that level of breath is normal and wont be considered hyperventilation any more.

From what I understand is that there are two systems in the breath: Oxygen and CO2. The lower levels of CO2 in the blood is what causes discomfort and physiological changes during hyperventilation, not the oxygen. The reason is that CO2 in water (such as in blood) causes acid (carbonic acid? just like in soda), which your body neutralizes to achieve a particular PH level (acid/base). At any given moment your body is expecting a particular amount of CO2 in the blood, and cannot compensate for changes very quickly. So if the body became used to lower CO2 levels in the blood over time, thru heavier breath, the oxygen can be supplied at higher rates.

Perhaps a benefit of exercise is that it may stimulate your body into breathing more...?

In my mind, this seems plausable to help body regeneration and stave off biological aging, but I have alot of maybes and nothing to really point to for proof. I definitely do not want this to be anyone's excuse to not exercise, because it may not be completely true... but I cant help but think that it could offer some very good long term benefits.
If it did this would offer a solution easily accessable to everyone in the world.

Does anyone know of anything that may help prove this? Or contradict...

#2 kenny001

• 63 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:32 AM

The hyperventilation can help us smooth the breathing and exercise the chest, do more and benefits us more. for me, i do some hyperventilation every day for my breathing, very comfortable.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

Wouldn't breathing from an oxygen concentrators accomplish the same thing, or am I misunderstanding your question?

I like the thinking outside the box, but I think your premise, that the primary benefit of exercise is that you breath more, is highly unlikely. Just my opinon, not be discouraged

#4 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:53 PM

Wouldn't breathing from an oxygen concentrators accomplish the same thing, or am I misunderstanding your question?

Well, it is well known in medicine that concentrated oxygen can damage the lungs.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 hasen

• 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

Wouldn't this cause you to develop asthma? Hyperventilating lowers the oxygen in your blood does it not? Low co2 equals low blood oxygenation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users