* * * * * 1 votes

CR Resources

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 chubtoad

• Life Member
  • 976 posts

Posted 29 July 2006 - 10:01 PM

Interesting. It is still sort of risky to judge just by looks though. I know one 45 year old man who looks like he is 30 and another who looks like he is 60.

#32 ofadetergentsud

• 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:18 PM

Perhaps due to some weird twist of nature Dr. Walford and his merry list of other skinny doctors will live longer, but there is absolutely no evidence to suggest it and so, you are simply likely to die sooner if you are under the WHO recommendations. You go against scientific authority and convention, you lose. maybe it feels like you are going
against a nasty dictatorship, does it feel good to be at a very low weight? Unfortunately, you will be doomed to a premature death in 99 out of 100 lives. Maybe this 99 out of 100 lives thing appeals to you? Once a member of the CR society said to me "it's like taking a chance", well they are entitled to take it. On average though, I will live much longer. There is a similar chance that drinking three bottles of red wine will help you live longer also, so why not try
that? All this about "people are too fat to do it" is supposed to be part of their evidence that it will help you live longer.  Now let's have a look at the utterly ridiculous statments the "calorie restriction society" put up against such logic. Try and figure out what's wrong with them, I've left their flawed logic as open as I can.

I believe CR has not been proven on humans because the idea hasn't been around long enough for any human test subjects to die of natural causes or live to be centenarians. CR is scientifically proven to work on all animals that have been tested besides house flies and you wreak of bullcrap my friend, so buzz off!

#33 bgwowk

• 1,715 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:21 AM

There's also the fact that whether or not CR extends *maximum* lifespan in humans is academic. There is no question that CR will reduce the incidence of diseases and disabilities related to aging for the same reason that excess calories and body fat will increase them. Average lifespan (not the same as maximum lifespan) will almost certainly be increased, and you'll be healthier up until the end whenever it is.

#34 vyntager

• 120 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:34 PM

There's also the fact that whether or not CR extends *maximum* lifespan in humans is academic. There is no question that CR will reduce the incidence of diseases and disabilities related to aging for the same reason that excess calories and body fat will increase them. Average lifespan (not the same as maximum lifespan) will almost certainly be increased, and you'll be healthier up until the end whenever it is.

(note : tl:dr version as well as conclusion are in blue, provided at the end of post, for lazy readers.)

Been reading two interesting papers on CRON, as seen from the side of nutritionists who deal with anorexia nervosa. As may be expected, they are at best wary and suspicious of CRON.
However even they admit that from the weight of evidence already accumulated thus far, it is pretty likely that *all* the effects of CR as observed in animals will more or less be present in human beings. Including maximal life span.

Regardless, that's not where their attention's been landing. It seems pretty evident by now that the physiological effects of CRON are for the most part beneficial to the individual, some neutral, and a minority possibly harmful (such as reduced ability to sustain cold, injury and (additional) stress).

It seems they have accepted that for the main part, the effects of CR must be an adaptative response allowing the individual to shift his ressources from certain activities, such as reproduction, to maintenance. For as long as needed till the individual manages to resume normal feeding levels.

Now, one point they raise, and I think it is pretty salient, is, we ought to be observing not only physiololgical adaptations but also behavioral and psychological adaptations to periods of scarcity. And the latter haven't been investigated as thoroughly as the former, if at all.

To cut a long story short, the effect of those behavioral adaptations is twice : protect the individual, maintain it, conserving energy; and also, shifting the behavior of the individual towards resuming normal levels of nutrition by any means necessary.

The consequences : lowered libido, lowered social activity, food obsessivity, combined with higher agressivity as far as food is concerned, but lowered otherwise, restlessness in relation to foraging and food-searching activities, otherwise lowered levels of activities. Food obsessivity also means a more general shift of goal-dynamics in the psychology of individuals, with effects on cognition, ranging from the positive to the negative.

Bottom line of the article is that CRON isn't advisable since those aspects haven't been studied scientifically, and will probably never be adviseable as the costs (most of them psychological and social) of CR will likely outclass its advantages;

Bottom line of my post : it may be that only a pretty narrow portion of the population will be able to implement a CR regimen, as most normative people will likely suffer from those negative effects, and will also likely be unable to cope with them. Only those for which, for whatever reason the negative side-effects do not express themselves, or for which they appear but do not bother the individual, will be able to do CRON for any significant amount of time.

Few people seem to be adopting CRON, even in face of the physiological benefits, even in here where most of us put a premium on living longer and/or healthier lifes. Of those who have tried, many have failed and/or abandoned. This is not just because of a lack of interest or will power, but rather seems to be linked to very fundamental and widespread psychological adaptations.

At the very least, being aware of those psychological adaptations and their shortcomings as far as voluntary dietary restriction goes, would help anyone serious about doing CRON to overcome those, or alleviate/obviate their effects.

First review of two, on the physiological consequences of CR and CRON
Second review of two, on the psychological consequences of CR and CRON

Edited by vyntager, 07 April 2008 - 10:38 PM.

#35 DrEvil

• 42 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:09 PM

The effect on health of alternate day calorie restriction: eating less and more than needed on alternate days prolongs life.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16529878

#36 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

Here's my channel that I created a while ago which I upload any videos about people on CR diets. I've got my own channel and series of videos that I'm working on but I haven't shared with anyone yet.
http://www.youtube.c...82?feature=mhee

#37 Boopy!

• 201 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

I feel dumb or maybe lack of sleep -- WHICH MONKEY is the younger-looking one?  They are in different positions,  maybe that's what I am seeing.    I don't want to guess I need to know.  The one on MY left is going "What you want?"  and the one on my right is saying "Seen you here yesterday,  ya staring fool."   So the one who is lower down in position is the older looking one?  Oh wait he has more hair so maybe it's the younger one?   ARGH

Reminds me of those people who say all Asians look the same,  all white people look the same,  well to me,  all MONKEYS look the same and I don't know which is the CR one.

• Cheerful x 1

#38 Proudmoore

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:03 AM

The left one is a CR monkey but you're right they do sit in a different manner. Also left monkey seems to have its hair brushed nicely and the right one looks like me when someone dares to wake me up early on Saturday morning ;)

#39 Boopy!

• 201 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

hmm if I were a female monkey I would choose the guy on the right,  much hotter and hairier.   He's the older one,  right?   Go figure.

#40 erzebet

• 195 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:00 AM

Whether CR extends maximum lifespan is an academic question that will take a lot of money and a lot of time to answer. Whether it delays age-associayed diseases is much easier to test in short-term studies.

I first heard of calorie restriction during my third year of medical school. Frankly I dismissed it - it seemed too good to be true for complex people. I thought it may work in fruit flies and simple organisms only. Fast forward to 2013 when I started my medical residency in geriatrics. The aging rates of obese and skinny patients were so different that I changed my mind regarding it. I'm still waiting for the day when I'll see a fat centenarian - they may exist, but I have never seen one in my practice. I repeatedly see skinny and normal-weight people - BMI around 19-21 - who aged like wine and are approaching their 90s and obese patients with plenty of age-related diseases in their 60s.

I started typing words for a practical guide on calorie restriction and this is the result:

http://longevityletter.com/books/

http://www.amazon.co...timal nutrition

• like x 2

#41 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:35 PM

I've been doing CR now for about 15 years and I'm so glad that I made the decision to start the diet. I plan on continuing the diet indefinitely, or until we have some real therapies or treatments for aging. CR to be seems to be the most logical choice. It may or may not extend lifespan, but I've been willing to take that chance. It's better than doing nothing at all. My experience so far has been that everyone I know around me have gotten much older and I've stayed almost the same as when I was in my early 20s. 

Anyway, I think most of the old members around here know who I am, but wanted to post here as a resource because I will be more active from now on. In the forum and on my CR website. :) 

http://www.crvitality.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users