Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Top 5 supplements

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#61 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 04:32 AM

is there a specific reason why you take a Vit D3 in a liquid form and not Softgels? (i guess it has to do with Gelatins Glycerins in softgels)

To be honest, I take a softgel everyday and D3 sublingual spray every other day or so. It's kinda of expensive and less convenient than taking the gelcap.

The liquid form has been proven to have a higher absorption.
Here's a link to what i use:
http://www.bioletics...in-d3-nanospray

NOW brand also makes a liquid d3 with a dropper.

Softgels have liquid inside. It's an oil. The liquid forms of vitamin D would probably work fine, but they strike me as a hassle to use and a waste of money. I can't think of any reason why they would work better than an oil-formulated softgel.

The liquid forms I know of are dirt cheap. 15 to 20 bucks for 500 1000 i.u. drops.

#62 FadingGlow

• 113 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:35 AM

Alcar
Piracetam
Fish oil
Ginkgo
Magnesium

Why ginkgo? Ginkgo just doesn't seem to do much for most people. What does it do for you?

I have bad bloodflow/circulation. Also seem to have raynaud's but am not diagnosed as it is well, hard to diagnose.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:14 AM

Top 5 Supps
Carnosine
SOD
NAC
ALCAR
ALA

Top 5 Herbs
Ganoderma lucidum
Polygonum muliflorum
Gotu kola
Korean red ginseng
Goji berries

#64 JKDC

• 52 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:49 AM

Need top 11 for me. Top 5 most important though. Ideally one would take everything the body can't make plus extra antioxidant/antiinflammatory support.

NAD
CoQ10
GliSODin
ALL vitamins/minerals including D,K2
Fish Oil
All carotenoids
Curcumin
Resveratrol
Green Tea
ALCAR
Carnosine

Edited by JKDC, 31 January 2011 - 01:51 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#65 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

Need top 11 for me. Top 5 most important though. Ideally one would take everything the body can't make plus extra antioxidant/antiinflammatory support.

NAD
CoQ10
GliSODin
ALL vitamins/minerals including D,K2
Fish Oil
All carotenoids
Curcumin
Resveratrol
Green Tea
ALCAR
Carnosine

Tsk tsk ..the subject is top 5, otherwise I would have listed my entire regimen. ;)

#66 JKDC

• 52 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

I take more than I listed but the top 5 of my list is most important. To me this is like listing your 5 favorite body parts. I like them all damnit! lol

#67 BoddyBoy

• 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:24 PM

Did some addition, here is about the stats for top 10 (didn't add the last few btw but the trends are clear)

D3 20
Fish oil/omega 3 19
Magnesium 13
Vitamin K 10
Green/white Tea 8
Acetyl-L-Carnitine 8
Resveratrol 6
Curcumin 5
Multi 5

-BoddyB
  • like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#68 tornpie

• 56 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:27 PM

Carnosine
Acetyl L-Carnitine
Magnesium
Na R-ALA
B Complex

Honorable Mention
Fish Oil, Zinc, Rhodiola, Eleuthro, Selenium, D3, NAC, Inositol, TMG

Man, I could go on and on. My whole regimen gets more badass every month as I tweak dosages and find synergies. Thank God for cheap bulk powders for most things. I think the top 5 of everyone would be drastically different if they had correct dosing of some things.

#69 Young Paul

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:12 PM

1. watermelon juice (citruline and lycopene)
2. resveratrol (buccal with alcohol)
3. zinc for men (we lose 5mg with each jack)
4. pre-biotic (chicory, bananas)
5. pure silver (3500pmm)

Edited by Young Paul, 06 February 2011 - 02:18 PM.

• like x 1

#70 dlima

• 7 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:52 AM

Ingredients:

1. brain of wild boar, offal
2. dirt (learning, hygiene hypothesis)
3. onion juice (testosterone)
4. san pedro cactus
5. magnesium

just registered to quote that epic post.

Since I'm not *addicted* to longevity, my top five are:
1) fish oil / fish - neurological and inflammatory reasons
2) BCAAs - so that I may train in a "fasted" state (fasted except for the BCAAs, of course. oh, and black coffee)
3) piracetam - neurological
4) creatine - strength / neurological
5) multi - in case I missed something from diet (which I probably don't... I take AOR Ortho-Core)

other things I find important: whole foods, fresh air, sunlight, kefir

Edited by dlima, 07 February 2011 - 02:54 AM.

#71 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

I am about to order some of LE's "super bio curcumin"...worth it? Or should I go with their one that has bioperine and is cheaper?

I don't know about their super biocurcumin. Are those claims supported in any way? Piperine has research supporting its use with curcumin. I can't quite work out what the magic ingredient is in the biocurcumin that is supposed to increase bioavailability. At any rate, I would recommend Swanson's curcumin with piperine. I used it first - very good I thought. Right now I'm using Jarrows' without piperine and I don't find it to be very good at all.

I suppose you could just give it a try and see how you feel. From my own experience of taking LE's super bio I can safely say that it definitely works. It actually feels uncomfortable for me and way too strong. I was expecting the effect to be benign and saw myself questioning what all the hype was about, but it definitely has a significant effect - Like I say, way too strong. Definitely seretonergic. I wonder whether it would go well with deprenyl? On LE's super bio curcumin alone, it leaves me feeling dryed up and cracked out. Plus I love my lithium too much and combining those two was not nice.
  • like x 1

#72 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

I am about to order some of LE's "super bio curcumin"...worth it? Or should I go with their one that has bioperine and is cheaper? I am excited to try curcumin, it seems people really like it. besides bacopa, which gave me diarrhea, I have found most supps to be disappointing. ashwagandha is nice, but kind of weak. rhodiola is decent. perika seems to have an appreciable effect (I'll be trying kira next), lithium did very little, lion's mane...I would try again...I think that covers it. I am also going to try NOW's gotu kola

My main symptoms are generalized anxiety (hard to relax and just have a good time) and decreased memory function (short and long term, difficulty remember names/phone numbers), and I think those two are related. I should really stick to a regular regimine of exercise and meditation, both help me a lot. I have so much potential that this darned anxiety and low level depression won't let me unlock!

Well if you take curcumin and expect to 'feel' something, you are going to be disappointed with it as well. There is nothing to 'feel' with that supplement or most supplements for that matter. If that is your expectation of a 'good' supplement, you should probably save the money.

Depends what you define as a 'supplement'. Also my above post explains my reaction to LE's super bio curcumin. I found it stronger than some of the pharmaceutical drugs I have experimented with.

#73 frisky

• 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

My top 5:
GlISOD-in
D3 + K
Magnesium glycinate
White or Green tea
zinc + copper

+Aor Antioxidant Synergy + pycnogenol
+Aor advanced B complex
+probiotics ,kefir
+omega 3 only in food like bakalar ,salmon

Herbs: Milk thistle

no multivitamins of any kinde

Edited by frisky, 08 February 2011 - 03:11 PM.

#74 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:37 PM

This is a very personal list, based mostly on my experiences with different supps. Doses per day.

1. Lithium
Oh god yeah. 5-10mg Lithium 1h before bed replace the Ambien I need in stressful times (read: most of the time) to get to sleep, while FREAKING PROTECTING MY BRAIN. I am really, really thankful for this.

2. St. Johns Wort
750mg untreated powder, aerial parts. Very probably saved me from burnout during internships. Stops the development of psychosomatic problems I often have when stressed (pain in thoracic spine for me).

3. Xylitol
10g. Really a sup? Don't care. Saved my teeth from otherwise nearly inevitable decay. Again, very thankful for this.

4. Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamine)
1g Reduces fatigue in me. Good, clean energy.

5. Maca
Ca. 5g. Relaxes my nether regions, increases sexual performance. Would be very interested in what Chinese Medicine has to say about it. Too much cools my body temperature to the point where I couldn't go outside in cold weather.

Runner-Up.
Vit D, because everybody says so :laugh:
Good data, cheap as dirt, reasonable amount won't hurt you.

Edited by shp5, 08 February 2011 - 04:43 PM.

• like x 3

#75 niteinnyc

• 61 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:17 AM

3. Xylitol
10g. Really a sup? Don't care. Saved my teeth from otherwise nearly inevitable decay. Again, very thankful for this.

How do you take the xylitol?
Do you just ingest it or do something in your mouth with it?

#76 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

How do you take the xylitol?
Do you just ingest it or do something in your mouth with it?

I let some powder/crystals (1-2g) dissolve in my mouth and try to push it in every corner with my tongue. At least 5x a day, always after eating. You could use Xylitol Chewing Gum too, but i find it rather expensive.
Also I follow Dr. Ellies Regime (my results)

#77 nito

• Topic Starter
  • 996 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:37 PM

This is a very personal list, based mostly on my experiences with different supps. Doses per day.

1. Lithium
Oh god yeah. 5-10mg Lithium 1h before bed replace the Ambien I need in stressful times (read: most of the time) to get to sleep, while FREAKING PROTECTING MY BRAIN. I am really, really thankful for this.

2. St. Johns Wort
750mg untreated powder, aerial parts. Very probably saved me from burnout during internships. Stops the development of psychosomatic problems I often have when stressed (pain in thoracic spine for me).

3. Xylitol

4. Vitamin B12 (Methylcobalamine)
1g Reduces fatigue in me. Good, clean energy.

5. Maca
Ca. 5g. Relaxes my nether regions, increases sexual performance. Would be very interested in what Chinese Medicine has to say about it. Too much cools my body temperature to the point where I couldn't go outside in cold weather.

Runner-Up.
Vit D, because everybody says so :laugh:
Good data, cheap as dirt, reasonable amount won't hurt you.

Maca relaxes your neither region? Does it make you more horny throughout the day (higher libido)?

#78 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:52 PM

Maca relaxes your neither region? Does it make you more horny throughout the day (higher libido)?

well, for me it somehow takes the tension out of the muscles of the pelvis. too much tension there is a common stress reaction. and as you need to relax parts of your musculature to get erections, this is definitely also improving sexual performance (hardness, endurance) for me. of course there will be different mechanisms at work, but this one i can feel.

#79 oblomov

• 48 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:07 AM

My Top 5 (in no order)

Vit D3 (liquid form)
Magnesium (powder or topical)
Omega 3 (EPA & DHA)
Multi-V (I use Synergistics Synergy-Com #3)
Green Supplement (i use Ultra Life Ultra Green #2 but there's a ton of others)

I've noticed that the 5 below have been mentioned more than a few times, so I will look in them...
Curcumin
K2-MK7
Acetyl-L-Carnitine
Resveratrol
Carnosine

ALCAR and ALA (which should be taken with ALCAR) are already in the Synergy #3.

#80 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:09 AM

ALCAR and ALA (which should be taken with ALCAR)

Not necessary at normal ALCAR doses. The idea that ALA was required came from an old Ames paper that used extremely high doses, which led to ROS production. Normal doses were later shown to not have a problem with ROS.

#81 nito

• Topic Starter
  • 996 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

well, for me it somehow takes the tension out of the muscles of the pelvis. too much tension there is a common stress reaction. and as you need to relax parts of your musculature to get erections, this is definitely also improving sexual performance (hardness, endurance) for me. of course there will be different mechanisms at work, but this one i can feel.

Oh i so don't need anything that makes me more horny lol.

#82 Delta Gamma

• 265 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:25 PM

Top 5 Supps
CoQ10
Green tea
Melatonin
A decent multivitamin (though I use centrum forts as I get it for free)
Vitamin D3

A worthy mention is magnesium citrate.

#83 mia22

• 52 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:57 PM

ALCAR and ALA (which should be taken with ALCAR)

Not necessary at normal ALCAR doses. The idea that ALA was required came from an old Ames paper that used extremely high doses, which led to ROS production. Normal doses were later shown to not have a problem with ROS.

Hi niner,
I understand your point that ALA is not necessary for the typical amounts those of us who supplement with it use. My question is do you think there is any benefit 1)taking it with ALCAR or 2)taking ALA by itself?
UCBerkeley's wellness report seems to be pretty noncommittal about it. I don't even know if they're a good source or not, although one would think so given their rep.
TIA

Edited by mia22, 13 February 2011 - 08:59 PM.

#84 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:13 AM

I'd be surprised if the U. C. Berkeley's Wellness Letter encouraged supplementation of any kind.

#85 Zaul

• 120 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 08:21 AM

1: Piracetam
2: Idebenone
3: ALCAR
4: Vit D3
5: Modafinil

Posted Image

#86 J. Galt

• 125 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

1) Aniracetam
2) CDP-Choline (Citicoline) and Alpha-GPC (tied for 2nd place)
3) Acetyl L-Carnitine Arginate
4) Na-R-ALA
5) Ubiquinol + Shilajit extract
6) PQQ
7) Green Tea Phytosome

I know that's more than five but they are all too great to omit any of them
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#87 kikai93

• 244 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:38 AM

Five Supplements:
1) IDRA-21 (or Aniracetam)
2) CDP Choline
3) Oxiracetam
4) SAM-e
5) DHA/EPA (500/250)

Five Foods:

1) Green Tea
2) Chocolate
3) Reishi Mushroom
4) Lion's Mane Mushroom
5) Field Greens

Five Activities

1) Meditation
2) Observant Walking
3) Mental Games
4) Ecstatic Dance
5) Martial Arts
  • like x 1

#88 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:28 AM

Five Supplements:
1) IDRA-21 (or Aniracetam)
2) CDP Choline
3) Oxiracetam
4) SAM-e
5) DHA/EPA (500/250)

Have you tried IDRA-21? If so, pray tell.

#89 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:37 AM

Five Activities

1) Meditation
2) Observant Walking
3) Mental Games
4) Ecstatic Dance
5) Martial Arts

No interval sprints a few days a week? No weight training? Or did they just not make your top five?

Are these the ones you enjoy the most or the ones you believe are most valuable for life extension?

Edited by MorganM, 15 March 2011 - 03:38 AM.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#90 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:18 AM

1-Resveratrol
2-L-Carnosine
3-Acetyl-L-Carnitine
4-Vitamin D3
5-Fish oil

Honorable mentions

Astragalus root
taurine
Alpha lipoic acid