Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Top 5 supplements

• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#121 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Come on, it wasn't that far back that you couldn't see it. :)

I linked it in as well as the entire discussion surrounding it a few posts back.

Edited by mikeinnaples, 06 February 2013 - 02:01 PM.

#122 mikey

• 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

I am about to order some of LE's "super bio curcumin"...worth it? Or should I go with their one that has bioperine and is cheaper?

I don't know about their super biocurcumin. Are those claims supported in any way? Piperine has research supporting its use with curcumin. I can't quite work out what the magic ingredient is in the biocurcumin that is supposed to increase bioavailability. At any rate, I would recommend Swanson's curcumin with piperine. I used it first - very good I thought. Right now I'm using Jarrows' without piperine and I don't find it to be very good at all.

Super bio curcumin is not even close to as absorbable as Meriva curcumin, which is curcumin enclosed in liposomes.
http://www.swansonvi...-mg-60-veg-caps

There are numerous companies that sell the licensed product called Meriva, so shop.

Well, in terms of psychoactive effects the effects of super bio curcumin are far stronger than that of Meriva. The piperine appears to play a crucial role in its effects.

Have you tried the super bio version? It's much stronger. If you haven't, try it, and compare it to Meriva.

Life Extensions' Super Bio Curcumin does not contain bioperine.
With piperine curcumin absorbs 2000% better, but Super Bio Curcumin is just curcumin95.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#123 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Not valid for everyone and convinced we need to match with individual conditions.

I am 57, eat well, exercise moderately, regularly test, have prostate condition (BPH). I cycle quite a lot of things in function of tests, symptoms and work stress.
  • Vit D (LEF, 1000-2000IU), as I cannot get enough from diet (CRONoMeter) and to stay in the 30-50 ng/dl range (do not believe in the >50 as many promote)
  • Vit K (LEF formula, includes K2-MK4 and K2-MK7) to drive calcium in bones vs arteries
  • Fish Oil (LEF formula, IFOS 5 rating) to moderate inflammation
  • Carnosine (LEF formula, not full dose as wish to reduce the benfotiamine intake) to moderate glycation
  • IP6 & Inositol (CellForte formula) to enhance immunity
And, sorry to extend quickly to my next 5:
  • Prostate health support formula
  • Resveratrol
  • Curcumin
  • R-ALA & ALCAR
  • Probiotics

#124 norepinephrine

• 219 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

When I think of my best supplements, the criteria I find to be most relevant is asking myself what I like so much, I'd recommend to my close family. In that regard, anything that both a) simultaneously benefits a multitude of bodily systems, b) comes in at a relatively cheap price, and c) has little to no side effects is put on that list.

From that, my results are, in no particular order:

-Curcumin. Improves my skin, reduces the effects of sleep deprivation, has compelling evidence in terms of neuro-benefits, markedly improves back pain for me and keeps the GI system healthy. To boot, it's inexpensive and I haven't noticed any side effects.
-Magnesium - most of us our deficient. Most of us know the benefits. Most people would be better off taking this. Side effects are only prominent if dosed above the RDA for lengthy periods of time.
-Fish oil; self-explanatory to the majority reading this.
-B vitamins: at least in my own case, I've noticed a marked improvement after supplementing, and recommend others try them in their coenzymated, sublingual form for best effects. Fairly cheap, and synergistic to the above two supplements.
-Vitamin D - also self-explanatory to most people reading this.

Wildcards that I'd consider adding:
ALCAR - for me, visible effects both mentally and physically.
Creatine - mild but visible effects mentally and physically.
Ginkgo, rhodiola, ashwagandha - all awesome, but all needing a cycled regimen; as well, although they help me, I'm not convinced they're necessary for everyone, whereas the above 5 basically are.
Quercetin - a great supplement if your diet isn't flooded with fresh fruits/veggies. Cons: the good brands aren't cheap, and it seems to give me insomnia if taken later in the day.
Zinc - really great, barring you are deficient. Not great if you aren't. Probably the cheapest out of everything mentioned.
Probiotics - needed by everyone, but from my own study and personal experience, I'm convinced getting them from traditional fermented sources is better than pills. (Making things like homemade kefir and sauerkraut isn't the most fun way to spend your time unless you're a gourmet, though.)
  • like x 1

#125 anagram

• 339 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:37 AM

Selegiline
RNA/DNA(of yeast)
Zinc
Astaxanthin/lycopene
(IP6 + inositol)

Edited by anagram, 20 February 2013 - 03:45 AM.

#126 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:09 AM

There is no top 5, but I will give it a try anyway.

1-Resveratrol
2-Vitamin D3
3-ALCAR
4-Vitamin K2
5-Fish oil

Ah to hell with it...

6-Turmeric
7-Aloe Vera Juice
8-SOD
9-Benfotiamine
10-Taurine
11-Astragalus Root
12-Ginseng
13-Biotin
14-Biosil
15-Zinc Picolinate (aspartate, etc)
16-Branch Chain Amino acids.
17-MSM

ah never mind....

Edited by TheFountain, 20 February 2013 - 04:10 AM.

#127 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Oh wait, how the hell could I not mention Magnesium citrate!

#128 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Okay, I was hoping for a glowing review Posted Image

Here are five nice supplements in no particular order:

Vitamin D
White tea (too bad the caffeine doesn't agree with me)
Red wine (easy on the alcohol though)
Omega 3
Vitamin K

Even consuming a single glass of alcohol a week by women is linked to significantly higher cancer risk. The French who drink a lot of wine are no healthier when you don't just look at cardiac rate but also add in cancer rates.

Your lists are very strange to me. It is very hard to limit to 5, but it would be these:

C
E
active B complex
DHEA
D3

I have lifelong rated antioxidants as number one priority, B as number 2 (methylate your DNA guys).
  • Needs references x 1

#129 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 09:39 PM

Vitamin D
Omega 3
Vitamin K

Even consuming a single glass of alcohol a week by women is linked to significantly higher cancer risk. The French who drink a lot of wine are no healthier when you don't just look at cardiac rate but also add in cancer rates.

Your lists are very strange to me. It is very hard to limit to 5, but it would be these:

C
E
active B complex
DHEA
D3

I have lifelong rated antioxidants as number one priority, B as number 2 (methylate your DNA guys).

Total mortality goes down with 1-2 drinks per day. In fact, for Caucasian men, you can have quite a few drinks per day and total mortality is still lower compared to not drinking at all (though optimal is still 1-2 drinks).
  • Agree x 1

#130 shaggy

• 282 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:07 AM

Astaxanthin/lycopene

Hi anagram - What are your reasons for picking this combo?

My 5 would be:-

Kyolic AGE
Vitamin D3
Fish oil
Astaxanthin
Grape seed extract

Edited by shaggy, 21 February 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#131 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Vitamin D
Omega 3
Vitamin K

C
E
active B complex
DHEA
D3

Total mortality goes down with 1-2 drinks per day. In fact, for Caucasian men, you can have quite a few drinks per day and total mortality is still lower compared to not drinking at all (though optimal is still 1-2 drinks).

What study are you speaking from? This is what the study in the news recently said:
The study's authors acknowledged alcohol can have health benefits, but claimed alcohol causes 10 times as many deaths as it prevents. There's no known safe level of drinking, they said.
http://www.lef.org/n...tm?NewsID=18112

(Personally I would not be concerned about alcohol consumption until after your hormones wane - this is just my 'gut feel' because I think th ecancer risk goes up with age.

Edited by triffid113, 21 February 2013 - 04:53 PM.

• dislike x 1

#132 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

There are plenty of studies... http://www2.potsdam....lAndHealth.html

Note also the part about reducing risk of certain cancers. So yeah, alcohol may increase the risk of some types of cancer even in moderate amounts (though I am somewhat skeptical of this as well), but that doesn't tell us much.

Edited by JLL, 21 February 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#133 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

I cannot verify reference 5, which seems to be the one that POSSIBLY says alcohol is linked to long life (actually that statement itself is not footnoted and the one afterward that is, references HEART health). Most of those references are regarding heart health, or are position papers by the national institute of alcohol abuse (not studies).

Until more studies are in then as a woman over 50 I won't be drinking alcohol. Take your chances as you will.

#134 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:46 PM

There's several papers on longevity and total mortality, e.g.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/17159008

Moderate consumption of alcohol is inversely related with coronary disease, but its association with mortality is controversial. We performed a meta-analysis of prospective studies on alcohol dosing and total mortality.

METHODS:

We searched PubMed for articles available until December 2005, supplemented by references from the selected articles. Thirty-four studies on men and women, for a total of 1 015 835 subjects and 94 533 deaths, were selected. Data were pooled with a weighed regression analysis of fractional polynomials.

RESULTS:

A J-shaped relationship between alcohol and total mortality was confirmed in adjusted studies, in both men and women. Consumption of alcohol, up to 4 drinks per day in men and 2 drinks per day in women, was inversely associated with total mortality, maximum protection being 18% in women (99% confidence interval, 13%-22%) and 17% in men (99% confidence interval, 15%-19%). Higher doses of alcohol were associated with increased mortality. The inverse association in women disappeared at doses lower than in men. When adjusted and unadjusted data were compared, the maximum protection was only reduced from 19% to 16%. The degree of association in men was lower in the United States than in Europe.

CONCLUSIONS:

Low levels of alcohol intake (1-2 drinks per day for women and 2-4 drinks per day for men) are inversely associated with total mortality in both men and women. Our findings, while confirming the hazards of excess drinking, indicate potential windows of alcohol intake that may confer a net beneficial effect of moderate drinking, at least in terms of survival.

• like x 3

#135 anagram

• 339 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

Astaxanthin/lycopene

Hi anagram - What are your reasons for picking this combo?

My 5 would be:-

Kyolic AGE
Vitamin D3
Fish oil
Astaxanthin
Grape seed extract

Lycopene inhibits some forms of protein oxidation, it lowers cholesterol, and prevents some cellular oxidative injury. Astaxanthin has been shown to have NF-KB and inflammation lowering effects. Astaxanthin also lowers DNA damage, and increases ATP synthesis at any age, suggesting a direct effect of Astaxanthin on mitochondrial metabolism.
  • like x 2

#136 gofobroke

• 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:15 AM

.- NAC
- Fish Oil
- Curcumin
- R Lipoic Acid
- Vit.D3
- Glutamine
- ALCAR

whoops, I went one over, my bad. ;P

#137 gofobroke

• 13 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 02:38 AM

Actually, I was two over:). So, I have a list- If I were stranded on an island!!!
- Sam-e
- CoQ-10
- L Lipoic Acid
- Turmeric
- Glutamine pwd

Add ons
- Vit.D3
- NAC
- ALCAR
- Probiotics
- Ginger, green and white tea
- Magnesium glycinate pwd.
and
- Phosphotidylserine

Edited by gofobroke, 23 February 2013 - 03:08 AM.

#138 chung_pao

• 352 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Actually, I was two over:). So, I have a list- If I were stranded on an island!!!
- Sam-e
- CoQ-10
- L Lipoic Acid
- Turmeric
- Glutamine pwd

Add ons
- Vit.D3
- NAC
- ALCAR
- Probiotics
- Ginger, green and white tea
- Magnesium glycinate pwd.
and
- Phosphotidylserine

Why glutamine?
How much does effective daily dosing of Q10 and SAM-e cost you? I'm rly interested in both.

#139 Healthy Almonds

• 27 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:02 AM

From everything I've gathered in regards to health and longevity my top 5 are:

Vitamin D3 5000 IU (Upper Midwest, don't want too much sun exposure)
Magnesium Citrate 400 mg (Second most common deficiency in Western diet behind D3)
Vitamin K2 100 mcg MK7 (anti-calcification except for teeth and bones. Want more enamel, smooth skin and minimize arterial plaques)
ALA 600 mg (Anti-aging. Pro-cognition. Maintenance of mitochondria. Anti-oxidant, increases glutathione)
Curcumin w/ piperine 550 mg w/ 2.5 mg (Potent anti-inflammatory. Anti-oxidant. Piperine increases curcumin bioavailability)

Daily and no particular order for the 5 listed. ALCAR (1 g), Green Tea Extract (500 mg), Melatonin (3 mg) and soluble fiber would follow.

#140 triffid113

• 48 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

What stuns me is that most people here are listing "superstar" substances and not covering the basics. Like they call them 'vitamins' because they are required for health and if you don't get them you get sick and die. Do you kids all know that your food supply is greatly compromised and that it does not contain the ingredients of health? We had a nutritionist come to my workplace and she brought both non-organic and organic apples and gave us each one to taste. You could TASTE the difference in the organic. She told us there are 40% LESS vitamins and minerals in non-organic produce.

On top of that, a huge amount of the nutritional content is destroyed in food processing and preparation. The only food stuffs which do not lose massive amounts of their nutritional content due to cooking, for instance, are tomatoes and carrots. If you have to limit your potassium intake due to a kidney issue, all you have to do is boil the food and presto - it becomes low potassium. And so on. I think y'all are young and have no real appreciation for covering the basics before you start looking for designer extras.
  • dislike x 5
  • like x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

#141 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

What stuns me is that most people here are listing "superstar" substances and not covering the basics. Like they call them 'vitamins' because they are required for health and if you don't get them you get sick and die. Do you kids all know that your food supply is greatly compromised and that it does not contain the ingredients of health? We had a nutritionist come to my workplace and she brought both non-organic and organic apples and gave us each one to taste. You could TASTE the difference in the organic. She told us there are 40% LESS vitamins and minerals in non-organic produce.

On top of that, a huge amount of the nutritional content is destroyed in food processing and preparation. The only food stuffs which do not lose massive amounts of their nutritional content due to cooking, for instance, are tomatoes and carrots. If you have to limit your potassium intake due to a kidney issue, all you have to do is boil the food and presto - it becomes low potassium. And so on. I think y'all are young and have no real appreciation for covering the basics before you start looking for designer extras.

There is a nutrition forum on longecity. There is a reason that they are called supplements, not replacements.
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#142 Bron

• 103 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

I am restricted from posting a link; I think you all know where to go for it. I created an account because I strongly believe you are incorrect about this. Time and additional studies will tell:

Are organic foods safer or healthier than conventional alternatives?: a systematic review.

Smith-Spangler C, Brandeau ML, Hunter GE, Bavinger JC, Pearson M, Eschbach PJ, Sundaram V, Liu H, Schirmer P, Stave C, Olkin I, Bravata DM.

Source

Stanford Center for Health Policy and Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, 117 Encina Commons, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-6019, USA. csmithsp@stanford.edu

Erratum in

• Ann Intern Med. 2012 Nov 6;157(9):680.
  • Ann Intern Med. 2012 Oct 2;157(7):532.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

The health benefits of organic foods are unclear.
PURPOSE:

To review evidence comparing the health effects of organic and conventional foods.
DATA SOURCES:

MEDLINE (January 1966 to May 2011), EMBASE, CAB Direct, Agricola, TOXNET, Cochrane Library (January 1966 to May 2009), and bibliographies of retrieved articles.
STUDY SELECTION:

English-language reports of comparisons of organically and conventionally grown food or of populations consuming these foods.
DATA EXTRACTION:

2 independent investigators extracted data on methods, health outcomes, and nutrient and contaminant levels.
DATA SYNTHESIS:

17 studies in humans and 223 studies of nutrient and contaminant levels in foods met inclusion criteria. Only 3 of the human studies examined clinical outcomes, finding no significant differences between populations by food type for allergic outcomes (eczema, wheeze, atopic sensitization) or symptomatic Campylobacter infection. Two studies reported significantly lower urinary pesticide levels among children consuming organic versus conventional diets, but studies of biomarker and nutrient levels in serum, urine, breast milk, and semen in adults did not identify clinically meaningful differences. All estimates of differences in nutrient and contaminant levels in foods were highly heterogeneous except for the estimate for phosphorus; phosphorus levels were significantly higher than in conventional produce, although this difference is not clinically significant. The risk for contamination with detectable pesticide residues was lower among organic than conventional produce (risk difference, 30% [CI, -37% to -23%]), but differences in risk for exceeding maximum allowed limits were small. Escherichia coli contamination risk did not differ between organic and conventional produce. Bacterial contamination of retail chicken and pork was common but unrelated to farming method. However, the risk for isolating bacteria resistant to 3 or more antibiotics was higher in conventional than in organic chicken and pork (risk difference, 33% [CI, 21% to 45%]).
LIMITATION:

Studies were heterogeneous and limited in number, and publication bias may be present.
CONCLUSION:

The published literature lacks strong evidence that organic foods are significantly more nutritious than conventional foods. Consumption of organic foods may reduce exposure to pesticide residues and antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
PRIMARY FUNDING SOURCE:

None.

Edited by Bron, 01 March 2013 - 06:06 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#143 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

1) Multi (extra magnesium if your multi doesn't have it)
2) K2
3) D3
4) Fish Oil
5) Pomegranate extract

#144 mikey

• 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:23 AM

I am restricted from posting a link; I think you all know where to go for it. I created an account because I strongly believe you are incorrect about this. Time and additional studies will tell:

Are organic foods safer or healthier than conventional alternatives?: a systematic review.

Smith-Spangler C, Brandeau ML, Hunter GE, Bavinger JC, Pearson M, Eschbach PJ, Sundaram V, Liu H, Schirmer P, Stave C, Olkin I, Bravata DM.

Source

Stanford Center for Health Policy and Center for Primary Care and Outcomes Research, 117 Encina Commons, Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-6019, USA. csmithsp@stanford.edu

Erratum in

• Ann Intern Med. 2012 Nov 6;157(9):680.
  • Ann Intern Med. 2012 Oct 2;157(7):532.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

The health benefits of organic foods are unclear.
PURPOSE:

To review evidence comparing the health effects of organic and conventional foods.
DATA SOURCES:

MEDLINE (January 1966 to May 2011), EMBASE, CAB Direct, Agricola, TOXNET, Cochrane Library (January 1966 to May 2009), and bibliographies of retrieved articles.
STUDY SELECTION:

English-language reports of comparisons of organically and conventionally grown food or of populations consuming these foods.
DATA EXTRACTION:

2 independent investigators extracted data on methods, health outcomes, and nutrient and contaminant levels.
DATA SYNTHESIS:

17 studies in humans and 223 studies of nutrient and contaminant levels in foods met inclusion criteria. Only 3 of the human studies examined clinical outcomes, finding no significant differences between populations by food type for allergic outcomes (eczema, wheeze, atopic sensitization) or symptomatic Campylobacter infection. Two studies reported significantly lower urinary pesticide levels among children consuming organic versus conventional diets, but studies of biomarker and nutrient levels in serum, urine, breast milk, and semen in adults did not identify clinically meaningful differences. All estimates of differences in nutrient and contaminant levels in foods were highly heterogeneous except for the estimate for phosphorus; phosphorus levels were significantly higher than in conventional produce, although this difference is not clinically significant. The risk for contamination with detectable pesticide residues was lower among organic than conventional produce (risk difference, 30% [CI, -37% to -23%]), but differences in risk for exceeding maximum allowed limits were small. Escherichia coli contamination risk did not differ between organic and conventional produce. Bacterial contamination of retail chicken and pork was common but unrelated to farming method. However, the risk for isolating bacteria resistant to 3 or more antibiotics was higher in conventional than in organic chicken and pork (risk difference, 33% [CI, 21% to 45%]).
LIMITATION:

Studies were heterogeneous and limited in number, and publication bias may be present.
CONCLUSION:

The published literature lacks strong evidence that organic foods are significantly more nutritious than conventional foods. Consumption of organic foods may reduce exposure to pesticide residues and antibiotic-resistant bacteria.
PRIMARY FUNDING SOURCE:

None.

Since there is an association with Parkinson's and ingesting pesticides, even if organic produce doesn't give you more nutrients, it is wise to avoid conventional produce that are coated in pesticides.

For instance, of the fruits or vegetables with the most pesticides, apples are number one, the worst.
Eat them if you want to experience Parkinson's as you age...

I ONLY eat organic apples, for this reason.

See: http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/
  • like x 1

#145 mikey

• 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:45 AM

Only Five?
SuperNutrition Opti-Energy Pack multivitamin/mineral/antioxidants- world's best buy, highest potencies - high potencies are required for anti-aging effects.
Carlson's The Very Finest Fish Oil - lemon flavored liquid - one tablespoon a day (3,900 mg of EPA/DHA) stops my atrial fibrillation.
LetsTalkHealth liposomal resveratrol - delivers the most intracellular resveratrol
LetsTalkHealth liposomal vitamin C - best intracellular delivery
LetsTalkHealth liposomal glutathione - best intracellular delivery
Five is not enough - I could go on with liposomal CoQ10, glycine proprionyl L-carnitine/acetyl L-carnitine (works better than Cialis and supports cardiovascular health, etc...
Bioperine improves absorption of nutrients.

Gosh, there are so many more than five.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#146 Bron

• 103 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:49 AM

Yea, Mikey I would prefer to eat organic, as I prefer to keep as many toxins out of my body as possible. I try to buy organic when I can, but I would be lying if I said it was most of the time. In fact I have about 2-3 cups of Wyman's frozen wild blueberries everyday that are certainly not organic. And considering the surface area to volume ratio, I would assume I am ingesting quite a bit.

My diet is certainly not perfect, and maybe I would be better served dropping supplements and putting the money into just organic food. I am not sure. If I ever develop Parkison's I suppose I will be sorry.

My issue was simply with the fact that I don't think organic food has any more nutritional value. Thanks for the info and heads up.

#147 Bron

• 103 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 03:56 AM

Only Five?
SuperNutrition Opti-Energy Pack multivitamin/mineral/antioxidants- world's best buy, highest potencies - high potencies are required for anti-aging effects.
Carlson's The Very Finest Fish Oil - lemon flavored liquid - one tablespoon a day (3,900 mg of EPA/DHA) stops my atrial fibrillation.
LetsTalkHealth liposomal resveratrol - delivers the most intracellular resveratrol
LetsTalkHealth liposomal vitamin C - best intracellular delivery
LetsTalkHealth liposomal glutathione - best intracellular delivery
Five is not enough - I could go on with liposomal CoQ10, glycine proprionyl L-carnitine/acetyl L-carnitine (works better than Cialis and supports cardiovascular health, etc...
Bioperine improves absorption of nutrients.

Gosh, there are so many more than five.

Yea I really like piperine with my curcumin. Not exactly sure about the absorption of other nutrients. I take in kefir (not homemade I get that Lifeway from ALDI) everyday hoping the healthy flora help aid in absorption.

I was considering a liposomal vitamin c, Mercola to be exact because it was the cheapest I could find. But decided against it because I couldn't find any evidence that it would actually increase my blood plasma level of vitamin c. Although the evidence may be out there. I get a lot of vitamin c in my diet so I tend not to supplement with it. Although I do like some camu camu in my green tea (I think 1g of camu camu equates to 200mg of vitamin c).

I was looking into liposomal glutathione and then someone talked me out of it telling me it wasn't worth it. But I honestly don't know. Like I said I am still trying to perfect my diet and regimen.

#148 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

For the average person on the western diet(excluding a multi vitamin):
1-Vitamin D3
2- Fish oil
3- Some sort of green food blend: amazing grass or something similar
4-Fibre supplement
5-Piracetam (with adequate choline source)

#149 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:57 AM

We had a nutritionist come to my workplace and she brought both non-organic and organic apples and gave us each one to taste. You could TASTE the difference in the organic. She told us there are 40% LESS vitamins and minerals in non-organic produce.

I've been buying produce from local organic farms for several years, and also buy conventional food at the grocery store. Not only can I not tell a consistent difference between the taste of organic and conventional food, sometimes the organic food tastes WORSE. As was pointed out in the post above and elsewhere in these forums, the nutrient levels in organic foods are not significantly different than conventional foods. The only good reasons I can see for using organic foods are 1) the pesticide levels should be lower (not that I think that matters very much), and 2) supporting sustainable and local farming.
  • like x 4

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#150 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

We had a nutritionist come to my workplace and she brought both non-organic and organic apples and gave us each one to taste. You could TASTE the difference in the organic. She told us there are 40% LESS vitamins and minerals in non-organic produce.

I've been buying produce from local organic farms for several years, and also buy conventional food at the grocery store. Not only can I not tell a consistent difference between the taste of organic and conventional food, sometimes the organic food tastes WORSE. As was pointed out in the post above and elsewhere in these forums, the nutrient levels in organic foods are not significantly different than conventional foods. The only good reasons I can see for using organic foods are 1) the pesticide levels should be lower (not that I think that matters very much), and 2) supporting sustainable and local farming.

I agree 100%, I too try to buy as much organic as possible for the above reasons but there are some things which I buy convention: very low pesticide fruits and veggies.
All my soft skinned fruits and especially berries and apples are bought organic.
  • like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users